*1407: Crippled Summer* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

killa689
Posts: 0
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:00 pm

Learn to laugh at yourself or anything about you

Postby killa689 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:50 pm

Im a Jew, do i care what south park says about jews? No in fact im glad they do it, it gives me an opportunity to laugh at my self. Cartman is my favorite character, no matter what he says. In fact im actually pissed that they didnt launch the last episode. See its people like you and extremist muslims who care more about a f*cking, although kick ass, adult cartoon, instead of the fact that there are even worse problems in the world. This is a cartoon, get over it pussy
Mike Rotch
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:59 am

Awe weak, dude.

Postby Mike Rotch » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:17 pm

Im guessing this episode is to get back at Comedy Central for 201 maybe?

Really disappointing episode.

It didnt seem like a South Park episode... except for the part with Cartmen ranting about Kyle :)

JamesByrnes
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:28 pm

Re: *1407: Crippled Summer* Post-Air Discussion

Postby JamesByrnes » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:42 pm

Why the hell can't I vie ANY episodes? :evil:
nemspyda
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:54 pm

Re: *1407: Crippled Summer* Post-Air Discussion

Postby nemspyda » Sat May 01, 2010 12:25 am

To everyone who thinks this is revenge or some sort of statement about censorship in the previous episode - Do you have any idea how long it takes to make an episode of an animated TV show?

There's a reason we get 7 episodes of a season then a six month break before the rest. I don't think that, despite all appearances, they threw this together in a under a week.

I'm 37 and my wife is 40 - we both grew up with the WB and HB cartoons, but we couldn't make it more than halfway through this episode before turning it off.

The only part I found remotely amusing was hearing the theme from Meatballs. Apart from that I didn't laugh or even smile once.

Towelie being in the episode wasn't a good start as I have always found him and his ilk (Mr Hanky) to be stupid characters. I was a latecomer to South Park having watched the first episodes when they came out only to not understand what all the fuss was about. Years later I saw some episodes that were great and I revisited eps from the first couple of seasons and still found I could barely watch them. In short, I think the show has matured greatly during its run and "Crippled Summer" felt more like a throwback to the shock-value/annoying content in early seasons.

I mean, seriously, was I the only person who wanted to throw a brick through my screen every time that "Nathan and Mimsy" appeared? They weren't funny, they were just very, very irritating.

Perhaps I'd have liked it better if I had ever seen "Intervention", but I doubt it. I liken this episode to that X Files episode that was done like an episode of "Cops" - some people (including my wife) loved it for some reason, but for me it was far too much of a departure from the usual format of the show and to cut a long story short - was not the reason I tuned in each week. Not what I wanted to watch.

This is the first episode of South Park I have found to be completely unwatchable. There were some in the early season (like the first appearance of Barbara Streisand) that I found extremely dull and uninteresting, but this one is the first I haven't been able to make it through.
buttersgurl
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 12:39 am

Re: *1407: Crippled Summer* Post-Air Discussion

Postby buttersgurl » Sat May 01, 2010 12:55 am

ajjr1228 wrote :
> I am tired of South Park making fun of the Jews, I for one will not stand
> and let this go unnoticed. I will be protesting (unlike the muslims who
> just want to kill anyone saying bad about islam) in Boston, MA this
> Saturday at 12PM at the Church of Scientology Boston.
>
> JEWS UNITE! because the muslims get butthurt over a tv animated show of
> muhammad.



WHY ARE YOU WATCHING IT THEN!? DON'T SAY THE MUSLIMS ARE GETTING BUTT HURT WHEN YOU'RE THE ONE BITCHING ABOUT STUPID sh*t, UNCLE f*cker. AND I LOVE JEWS, I BEEN DATING ONE FOR 5 YEARS NOW. GO HAVE FUN AT YOUR PROTEST :parishilton:
Stanlee
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:09 am

Re: *1407: Crippled Summer* Post-Air Discussion

Postby Stanlee » Sat May 01, 2010 1:01 am

Yo Nemspyda dude I think the fact that you don't like the early seasons of South Park plus the fact that you are hating on Towelie, Mr. Hankey, and the original Barbra Streisand episode tells us all we need to know about your sens of humor. As in you obviously don't have one. Why do you even watch this show?

I'm not saying this episode was a masterpiece but it was a damn funny episode that held it's own just fine. It definitely was not so bad that it deserved to be turned off halfway through.

The only thing you said that I can agree with is yeah people are reading way too much into this episode when they say M&T made a crappy episode on purpose just to be dicks to Comedy Central. M&T work very hard to always put out the best product they possibly can. They would never make some piece of crap episode on purpose just to be obnoxious towards Comedy Central. They have been wanting to do a Towelie intervention for a long time now and so they finally did it.

The episode was funny. I laughed a lot. What the hell more do you want from these guys?
nemspyda
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:54 pm

Re: *1407: Crippled Summer* Post-Air Discussion

Postby nemspyda » Sat May 01, 2010 1:08 am

I've got a perfectly fine sense of humour thanks very much. I just find the humour from early seasons "different" from those of the middling to later seasons.

Some episodes I like more than others and it obviously helps when I am familar with the subject matter that is being addressed. I still think the "Fantastic Easter Special" could be my favourite.

I'm absolutely mystified what people found funny about this episode (bear in mind I didn't watch the last 10 minutes as I had already turned off - so if there was something hilariously redeeming in there that doesn't count). I've read in this thread and elsewhere of people "laughing so hard" at Nathan and Mimmsy - WTF!? They could be the most unfunny thing I have ever seen.
AxayPaulene
Posts: 1646
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:25 pm

Re: *1407: Crippled Summer* Post-Air Discussion

Postby AxayPaulene » Sat May 01, 2010 1:27 am

I liked it; thought it was very cute. Had a different vibe than the past episodes, not dramatic at all but nevertheless enjoyable. LOVED the Looney Tunes parodies, as I am a huge fan of Looney Tunes. I don't know if this episode actually was a stab at CC for the censoring or not; all I know that it was a good episode. :D

So sad that this is the mid-season finale! I can't wait for 4 months until the new episodes!!
R.I.P Pip: 1989 - 2010
Πιστεύω σε σας

Pull your fucking pants up!
mo303564
Posts: 1511
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:36 pm

Re: *1407: Crippled Summer* Post-Air Discussion

Postby mo303564 » Sat May 01, 2010 2:38 am

^ Shut up mmmiinssie!! :lol:
RTL: I love being a dick to people for no reason. It makes me feel better about how my mom smacks me around with a frozen T Bone steak.
Icanolly30homeless
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: *1407: Crippled Summer* Post-Air Discussion

Postby Icanolly30homeless » Sat May 01, 2010 3:22 am

why did people hate this episode so much? was it because it was too much like old South Park?

personally I thought it was funniest episode this season so far
zzyzx 1
Posts: 4887
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:20 am

Re: *1407: Crippled Summer* Post-Air Discussion

Postby zzyzx 1 » Sat May 01, 2010 3:26 am

nemspyda wrote :
> To everyone who thinks this is revenge or some sort of statement about
> censorship in the previous episode - Do you have any idea how long it takes
> to make an episode of an animated TV show?

Yes. 6 days. They start on Thursday thinking of ideas, and on Wednesday of the next week they deliver it to South Park. Here, click this link:

http://www.southparkstudios.com/guide/1207/6days/

nemspyda wrote:
> There's a reason we get 7 episodes of a season then a six month break
> before the rest

Yes, that's the contract between MnT and CC.

AxayPaulene wrote:
>I can't wait for 4 months until the new episodes!!

Mid October til Mid November = Season 14B; about 5 1/2 to 6 months away :(

Icanolly30homeless wrote:
> personally I thought it was funniest episode this season so far

I agree :D
crotch.pocket
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 3:54 am

Re: *1407: Crippled Summer* Post-Air Discussion

Postby crotch.pocket » Sat May 01, 2010 4:49 am

beersaround wrote :
> I think this episode is a response to being censored... they are using old
> 1950's warner brothers characters and jokes. showing how terrible cartoons
> used to be. if they cant be progressive they might as well recycle the same
> old crap. let go of the choke chain comedy central. let artists express
> themselves. and dont force us to watch a terrible piece of sh*t episode
> like this again.

i don't think this is relevant as i'm pretty sure i saw a handicapped kid get raped by a shark.

sp has been recycling old crap prior to the censor. the last episode was recycled crap reusing featured celebrities to poke fun at. btw, making fun of celebrities tends to be cheap and thoughtless...reminds me of how terrible family guy is.

you are over-thinking it. i didn't see anything intelligent about the humor in this episode. it's just a bad episode, the worst yet imo. so far this has been a terrible season.
Noizrocx
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:37 pm

Re: *1407: Crippled Summer* Post-Air Discussion

Postby Noizrocx » Sat May 01, 2010 6:31 am

nemspyda wrote :
> To everyone who thinks this is revenge or some sort of statement about
> censorship in the previous episode - Do you have any idea how long it takes
> to make an episode of an animated TV show?
>
> There's a reason we get 7 episodes of a season then a six month break
> before the rest. I don't think that, despite all appearances, they threw
> this together in a under a week.
>
> I'm 37 and my wife is 40 - we both grew up with the WB and HB cartoons, but
> we couldn't make it more than halfway through this episode before turning
> it off.
>
> The only part I found remotely amusing was hearing the theme from
> Meatballs. Apart from that I didn't laugh or even smile once.
>
> Towelie being in the episode wasn't a good start as I have always found him
> and his ilk (Mr Hanky) to be stupid characters. I was a latecomer to South
> Park having watched the first episodes when they came out only to not
> understand what all the fuss was about. Years later I saw some episodes
> that were great and I revisited eps from the first couple of seasons and
> still found I could barely watch them. In short, I think the show has
> matured greatly during its run and "Crippled Summer" felt more
> like a throwback to the shock-value/annoying content in early seasons.
>
> I mean, seriously, was I the only person who wanted to throw a brick
> through my screen every time that "Nathan and Mimsy" appeared?
> They weren't funny, they were just very, very irritating.
>
> Perhaps I'd have liked it better if I had ever seen
> "Intervention", but I doubt it. I liken this episode to that X
> Files episode that was done like an episode of "Cops" - some
> people (including my wife) loved it for some reason, but for me it was far
> too much of a departure from the usual format of the show and to cut a long
> story short - was not the reason I tuned in each week. Not what I wanted to
> watch.
>
> This is the first episode of South Park I have found to be completely
> unwatchable. There were some in the early season (like the first appearance
> of Barbara Streisand) that I found extremely dull and uninteresting, but
> this one is the first I haven't been able to make it through.



This is not an attack on handicapped people first of all. Secondly, Mimsy and Nathan are a parody of Mugsy and Bugsy from the classic WB cartoons. Thirdly, this episode is making a statement about the idea that cartoons have evolved from senseless humor to something that we can actually think about.
Mikey Bizzle
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:44 am

Re: *1407: Crippled Summer* Post-Air Discussion

Postby Mikey Bizzle » Sat May 01, 2010 7:54 am

Stanluv25 wrote :
> It's not that I don't respect old cartoons like the Loony Toons, I simply don't find
> them funny. So that's why the homage to such a show didn't strike my funny bone. It's
> why I didn't find the whole thing with Cartman and Osama Bin Laden funny in Osama Bin
> Laden Has Farty Pants.

The point I was trying to make Stanluv is not actually having respect for old cartoons, but the fact that there is indeed humor in taking some of the most (seemingly) mentally challenged characters of old (namely Mugsy, Elmer Fudd, Beaky Buzzard & Pete Puma) and translating them to South Park characters faithfully, the only way you really can, as (the always hilarious whenever Matt and Trey portray them) handicapped children.

Basically they called out how mind-numbingly moronic some of the older cartoons were and solidified their statement by making them human thus exposing how truly retarded some of those old characters really were (and technically though personally I don't care nor agree with the notion) and that they were liable to stupefy the impressionable young children watching those programs.

With the exception of Elmer Fudd (who was clearly not the brightest bulb on the tree), all of those retarded-acting characters were animals, and there's an extra level of innocence in talking animals being retarded. The sub-conscious mind of the would-be concerned parent back then is thinking "Gee that talking Puma is awfully stupid, maybe I shouldn't allow my child to watch this because his retarded antics may rub off on my kid's every day presentation of himself to the real world, then again, it's not his fault he's retarded, Puma's and Buzzard's shouldn't be talking in the first place".

So the by distracting those who could take offense at the insensitive-towards-mentally-challenged-people characters with having them be talking animals, those old cartoons got away with (without a drop of concern) being offensive to particular groups of people. Just like someone else on here said, old cartoons (especially Disney) were also very racist but in subtle fashion and usually also by having the racism translated through animals (The BLACK crows from Dumbo, anyone?).

So what I guess this is all getting at is which I forgot to mention in my previous post on this board (due to being distracted by all the negative comments pointed towards this episode) is that, to an extent, although definitely not entirely, this episode was M&T saying to CC "Ok so we can't simply display the muslim prophet Muhammad (simply show him, as a fictionally exaggerated character) on a show mainly about social commentary in a supposedly freedom-of-speech having country because "it offends a particular group", while meanwhile we can (depending on which way you look at it, either light-heartedly or very over-the-top offensively) mock and be completely insensitive to "this other group of people over here" with no repercussions?

I can't remember which episode it was, but South Park already addressed this issue in the past with an "I've learned something today" speech saying something along the lines of "If your going to have freedom of speech, let it be just that, freedom of speech, it's all or nothing, you can't pick or choose which group is too sensitive and self-important to be made of fun of." That totally wasn't the speech, but anyone familiar with the episode I speak of will agree that was the gist of what the speech was trying to say.

These Muslims really need to grow up and get a sense of humor, is laughter not allowed in Islam nation? And can someone explain to me why exactly they kill in the name of God, I guess they don't have 10 commandments in the middle east? And what kind of religion really believes in their hearts that God (whom they've never actually spoken to mind you) wants them to kill others? Even people who deserve it, killing is universally wrong except to these sick muslims, who have their 32 virgins awaiting them in Heaven after they fulfill their God-ordered Earthly deeds of killing thousands of innocent people.

If there's any group who deserves more than any other group of people in the world to not be spared humor at their expenses, it's the muslims. Ahhh muslims, I don't even capslock the word when I type it anymore...
M00ndragon69
Posts: 9593
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2003 4:32 am

Re: *1407: Crippled Summer* Post-Air Discussion

Postby M00ndragon69 » Sat May 01, 2010 9:02 am

FreeQuebec86 wrote :
> Big-Will wrote :
> > If that's the way you wanna see it, fine. :) It was just a funny episode to
> > me without any current events to address, no Muhammad to try to get past
> > Comedy Central, no lesson to learn today. As "The Tale of Scrotie
> > McBoogerballs" said, sometimes we read too much into a book (or a
> > show).
>
>
>
> BUT !!! I discover about Stephen Baldwin !!!!
>
> I didnt even know his name ! Only Biodome !!!
>
> Now, i know hes born-again, got law suit and want money from all christians !!!
>
> WE NEED TO RESTORE THIS GUY LIKE JOB !!!! ( or someone )
>
> STEPHEN Baldwin = Deserver OUR money !
>
>
> From their official website
>
> Q- Why doesn't his family help him?
> A- His family does not perceive Stephen’s predicament as a matter of spiritual
> warfare. They see Stephen’s outspoken Christianity as poor choices therefore they
> will not help.
>
> Q- What happened to his wealth?
> A- When he became an outspoken Christian in 2002 his income went down by 70% when he
> refused roles with gratuitous sex and violence.
>
> Q- If Stephen was not involved how did you get permission to do this?
> A- Daniel Southern is Stephen’s spiritual advisor and the President of Stephen’s
> ministries. We contacted Daniel who gave us written permission to build the site .
>
> Q- Why does Stephen need personal wealth?
> A- Stephen’s influence is in Hollywood. Hollywood worships money and without it you
> are seen as a loser and cannot be an effective influence to this group.
>
> Q- How much money does he need?
> A- From what I read in public court documents Stephen needs several million dollars
> to pay all of his creditors but he deserves hundreds of millions for his Job like
> faithfulness in the face of relentless loss and persecution.
>
> Q- What percentage of a gift actually reaches Stephen?
> A- 100% goes directly into his bank account through online gifting. The bank account
> was arranged by Daniel Southern. Daniel was Billy Graham’s Crusade Director for
> almost 20 years.
>
> Q- Who paid for the http://www.RestoreStephenBaldwin.org site?
> A- The site was built and funded by someone Stephen nor his staff have ever met.
>
> Q- Where did the Job "all that knew him" Token Gifting observation come
> from?
> A- The person who birthed and funded the site.
>
> Q- What % of Christians know the method God used to restore Job?
> A- An incredibly small %.
>
> Q- Was Stephen involved in the movement planning, concept or site development?
> A- No
>
> Q- Who does Stephen try to reach with his ministries?
> A- From Hollywood to large arena events in the inner cities drawing troubled youth
> with motocross jumping and Extreme games.
>
> Q- What about other people who are hurting in this economy?
> A- Those that just came to your mind mail them a token gift also.
>
> Q- Is this about the economy?
> A- Like everyone else it is a factor but the economy is not the reason Stephen is in
> financial trouble.
>
> Q- Am I saying that Stephen is equal to Job in his faith?
> A- No, But when I investigated Stephen’s story his losses and persecutions were
> substantial but he has not regretted his decision to live for Christ.
>
> Q- What triggered you to do this?
> A- In March of 08 I saw Stephen speak boldly for Christ on Trumps Celebrity
> Apprentice Show. Then in Aug 09 I saw Stephen and God being laughed at for his
> bankruptcy.
>
> Q- Have you ever received communication from anyone involved with Stephen’s group
> prior to starting this movement?
> A- No
>
> Q- Who actually built the site?
> A- For security and site content reasons the site was built by SPX Studios, SPX is
> Stephen’s and other celebrities outsourced internet design company.
>
> Q- Is the site secure for credit cards?
> A- The site is as secure as any major online store.
>
> Q- Why does the donation page ask me for my email and password?
> A- This feature is for added security. Enter your email address and the password you
> use could be any password you use or make up one.
>
>
> Soooooooo give your credit card to this guy who is RICH family dont wanne help him !
>
> http://www.restorestephenbaldwin.org/
>
> I am the ONLY ONE talking about the BIG SUBJECT OF INTEREST in this episode !
>
>
> ( Please, dont feed this troll ( Stephen baldwin and my self a little bit ) lol
I am taking an interest in that aspect of this episode. That site is pretty f*cked up...There is a link where you can email Stephen Baldwin, and I thought of emailing him and telling him to quit whining, and if he needs money so bad to go work at Mc Donalds.

Now as for what Mikey just said, you know, I know as much about animation as I do about horror movies, I have watched alot of the older cartoons. I love them, and if there were no Classic Warner Bros cartoons, there probably wouldn't be any South Park or any Simpsons, or any of our favorite more recent cartoons..As for what you say about the older cartoons from the 30's and 40's being racist, well they were not politically correct, but like the shows we watch now, they were a product of their times. People did not start to become super sensitive about political correctness until the 60's. I don't consider myself a genius when it comes to 20th century history, but I know those facts. Decades ago, there were probably many, many people who went to the theaters, saw Warner Bros cartoons ( Or Disney or Betty Boop) before the movies, and laughed at jokes many of us would find racist now, but not really consider themselves hateful against the group the joke was about. I know for a fact that I do not have a bad opinion towards the mentally disabled, and I have watched a lot of Warner Bros cartoons.

I thought this was just a fun episode. I did like the Warner Bros references. The only thing I really think they were trying to make a point about was the Stephen Baldwin thing. Stephen Baldwin is a douche for having his church make him a site so he can beg for money, he deserves to be made fun of. And going back to Mikey's post about the whole Muhamadd mess, well that is what we were talking about last week. Trey and Matt have already said many, many times that either everything is ok to make fun of or nothing is ok to make fun of. They didn't want last weeks episode censored, Comedy Central censored it. They were probably finishing this weeks episode when all that sh*t was happening, and they had to air something this week. I mean, you are sitting here bitching, but can you imagine how hard Trey and Matt's job must be, dealing with the censorship issues with Comedy Central, and at the same time trying to make sure other episodes get done on time? That can't be easy. We already know if they can poke fun of the handicapped, they should be able to poke fun at Muhamad, it has already been said ( like 4 years ago when Cartoon Wars aired) so stop beating a dead horse.
Image

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests