*1407: Crippled Summer* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

blackh2o

Re: *1407: Crippled Summer* Post-Air Discussion

Postby blackh2o » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:11 am

here's to hoping the second half of season 14 is slightly more inspired than 1407. it was terrible that 201 was censored and it was easy to sense how Crippled Summer was an episode racked with frustration - maybe the first in the whole series where it has been apparent that the South Park team had decided to wave the flag of surrender. if you liked 1407 then you liked it and that's that, but 1407 was a show that was intended to appear to be horribly written (in which case 1407 was well produced - since it sucked the life out of its viewers a la Raiders of the Lost Ark). or maybe it wasn't intentionally sh*tty, but even then it seems that a line has been drawn in the sand and SP is headed toward a crippled summer.

maybe it's time South Park was solely available on the web? obviously it'd be more ideal if a tv carrier would back the SP team's freedom of artistic license, but 1407 was so god-awful that i could almost taste the dissent hanging over from 201's censoring. i know there's crap-loads of money in television, but with this huge of a following i think that South Park might have outgrown the usefulness of television broadcast.

again, here's to hoping the summer season refreshes the SP crew.
capt_falcone

Postby capt_falcone » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:15 am

This episode was good for separating out all the narrow minded kids and the people who actually know something. This was a fantastic episode. It played on two levels. One it showed the absurdity of censoring the last few episodes, by showing something that *should* upset people (a handicapped kid being raped by a shark). And two after the conflict between Matt and Trey and Comedy Central, they do something that is intentionally absurd and out there.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/capt_falcone

That's right, a mothafuckin bunny!

I say the whole world must learn of our peaceful ways. By force!
FreeQuebec86

Postby FreeQuebec86 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:23 am

http://www.restorestephenbaldwin.org/

This is the site at the end !!!

Lol, look WEIRD. Stephen Baldwin is asking MONEY from all christians in the world.

I dont get it ? xD What the link with between Buzz Towel and that lol.

And for people that talk about the link between last episode and this one, i dont see really why. The shark joke is not that much hardcore xD

and yeah my english suck !
milhad

Postby milhad » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:41 am

This episode is nowhere near as some other episodes (in earlier seasons). Maybe the creators are loosing their touch... This is the third episode of this season which goes back to same topics as some of the episodes in earlier seasons (Barbara Streisend, Jimmy competing with crippled kids...). I'm really really disappointed with last three episodes!
jeff12345

Postby jeff12345 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:46 am

It wasnt laugh out loud funny, but it was one of the most clever. Definately totally different then the average episode. I totally appreciate the intervention references. MnT may have only done the looney tunes reference as something that couldn't be censored, but I enjoyed that too. Reminds me of watching those cartoons years ago. Simple predictable jokes.
Its been said earlier, but I think this episoode definately separates the fans. There are the ones who like crude, line crossing, or constant laughs and then the ones who like something different every now and then. This did not feel like I was watching SP, which was kind of cool. It takes creativity to make your show not feel like your show.
kfgg

Postby kfgg » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:48 am

It was better then I thought it would be. I loved Washcloth.
Stan and Kyle :)
Throbert McGee

Postby Throbert McGee » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:49 am

I'm going to assume that everybody in the thread griping about how unfunny Looney Tunes were is under 25 and grew up on Pokemon and similar anime crap -- the poor kids!

Anyway, Trey and Matt are about the same age as I am, and I love 'em to pieces for all the Looney Tunes shout-outs in this episode, as well as the "Thank You, Captain Obvious" title cards dryly explaining the gags ("Nathan's playing B flat literally backfired.")

Also, Kyle's "You've gone from being an amusing ancillary character to becoming a jizz-encrusted cumrag" -- hilarious! (Although what's wrong with giving older men blowjobs? I've been doing that since I was a college student, albeit for free, rather than for drug money -- I just think that graying temples are damn sexy!)

I give this one 10/10, although maybe I'm overrating it because it's a relief to get a sweetly goofy and lighthearted episode after the tension of the Serious Topical Satire in the past two weeks.
I don't mind if people call me a pervert...
...but I'd sooner die than be mistaken for a Democrat!

(-- conservative author Florence King, explaining why she doesn't identify as a "lesbian" even though she enjoys sex with other women)
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:01 am

FreeQuebec86 wrote :
> http://www.restorestephenbaldwin.org/
>
> This is the site at the end !!!
>
>
> Lol, look WEIRD. Stephen Baldwin is asking MONEY from all christians in the
> world.
>
>
> I dont get it ? xD What the link with between Buzz Towel and that lol.
>
>
> And for people that talk about the link between last episode and this one,
> i dont see really why. The shark joke is not that much hardcore xD
>
> and yeah my english suck !

Not sure what else to say about the episode except that I liked it..Liked seeing Towelie again after all these years, and I liked Jimmy's song.

Thanks for posting that link. I thought the website was just a joke when I watched the show..Wow..It is a real thing? That douche bag Stephen Baldwin is actually asking for money for being a Christian? That is a bunch of bullsh*t..I don't hate Christians, but due to the fact that some of them don't really respect my beliefs, disrespect people who aren't straight, and have the tendency to ram their beliefs down everyone's throat, I am not giving any of their causes a damn penny. And I wouldn't even pay money to see Stephen Baldwin in a movie, infact the only movie I can recall of his that I liked was 1994's Threesome. You know, the one where he, his gay college roommate, and their female friend end up f*cking eachother? Such a good wholesome Christian movie..LOL..I seem to remember Baldwin's character being a douche bag, and if he is willing to beg for money on that site, from people who are probably alot poor than him, well maybe he isn't such a good actor because he is a real douche bag.
James--76

Postby James--76 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:14 am

This was a fun episode i did not think this episode would have featured the boys at all let alone Butters.The camp scenes were good with Nathan trying to sabotage jimmy`s team but he always ended up losing himself, it reminded me of old cartoon villains who had a thick sidekick and got him to do the "job" when if he had done it himself would have gotten better results.

The towelie plot with the boys was also nice to see as i didn`t think they were going to be in this at all, so that was a nice suprise most funny part was when Cartman was reading his Jew hate speech and it kept going and going he should write a book,
a good episode to finish what a been a very good season so far.
Kyle: Why? How could you do this? There are people starving in Alabama and you give Cartman a million dollars?

Cartman: Line? Lines! I HATE LINES!!!
mozmale

Postby mozmale » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:23 am

Sigh........ i think this and the jackoffasoar are my least favorite

oh and for that jew rally get over yourself pussy!

read on you will see what i am talking aboot
Kartman001

Postby Kartman001 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:26 am

This is the worst episode I have ever seen. It was a struggle to watch it. If I was 6 years old it might of been good. I hope this was intentionally bad because of the banning of the previous episode. :cartmanangry: :cartmanangry: :cartmanangry:
axisofevil

Postby axisofevil » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:27 am

Although it wasn't gut-bustingly funny, or a plot so tight Justin Bieber's dick wouldn't fit in it, it was almost like after 201 T & M read my mind and included everything important that was missing from the 'south park round-up' - Butters, Jimmy, old school homage and most importantly TOWLIE! Sad to see him off the rails though (I've seen a few lovable potheads turn meth-head & didn't think he'd be one). Also a bit more Timmy would've been cool. Overall not classic but solid.
Last edited by axisofevil on Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Midgetelf0585

Postby Midgetelf0585 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:41 am

So... um... that was the weakest episode of southpark I've seen to date. :parishilton:

So Comedy Central was too chicken s**t to put your uncensored episode 201 on the air, and this is your response? An episode that makes fun of Towlie (who is one of the worst characters in the show), and has no twist to the ending whatsoever for either the Cripples or Towlie?

I understand your desire to make fun of the Intervention show on A&E, but you could have done much better than that. I hope next week's episode is better.

Top notch on the first 4 episodes of this season, please repeat that!
TrickyOne

Postby TrickyOne » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:00 am

Well, if they were trying to make an episode intentionally bad, they succeeded. Looks like they identified all the factors that made the Simpsons and Family Guy jump the shark and intentionally included them in this episode: Focusing on an ancillary character, mimicking other pieces of pop culture without really parodying it, splitting the story into 2 disjointed stories that don't have any connection with each other, and no coherent plot.

But the thing is, like some of the other posters mentioned, if this is their response to the censoring of 201, it was a terrible response. It's like laying down and surrendering, like Prince did with his music when he fought WB. If you felt wrongfully censored, why not parody Comedy Central, portray them as chicken-$h1ts or oppressive slave-drivers? I'm sure you could do it in a way where they'd still air it b/c they have a responsibility to their corporate commercial sponsors, but where's it's not so over-the-line that they'd completely pull the episode. If this was the real reason behind this bad episode, then you'd better do it for your next one, or else we'll all prob think that S.Park just jumped the shark itself.
youthinkthatsbad

Censor Me Not

Postby youthinkthatsbad » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:01 am

I say the fact that SP has made it this far means that they should be able to say or do whatever the f*ck they want. Let freedom ring.
"As long as we're here, we might as well enjoy ourselves."

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”