*1412: Mysterion Rises* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

VACOOLA

Re: Reading between the lines

Postby VACOOLA » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:00 am

aerojockey wrote:When Mysterion was explaining his curse to Captain Hindsight, he said he always wakes up in bed in the same clothes.

The "same clothes" part seems a tad superfluous. (I mean, you've just risen from the dead, does it really matter what you're wearing?) I suspect it was included because the Orange Parka is part of the manifestation of the curse.

According to "Cartman Joins NAMBLA" and "Cripple Fight" Kenny's parka is an integral part of his curse of perpetual dying/rebirth, although this new Groundhog Day kind-of explanation contradicts the story given in the "NAMBLA" episode. But… whatever.

At least all the "identity craze" is now finally over. Phew! 8)
neocarleen

Re: *1412: Mysterion Rises* Post-Air Discussion

Postby neocarleen » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:05 am

Poor Kenny. Always dying and nobody caring.
Although it makes me curious... I'm probably thinking too much into this, but... :roll:
What if Kenny set up a camera by his bed, or kept some kind of recording device on him at all times. What physically happens to him when he dies? According to his story, he heals, has his clothes magically changed back into his parka, and then teleport back into bed.
:unhoodedkenny: And then everyone's memory changes. That one's kinda weird too. It's not that they forget. At the end of the episode, they ask why Kenny ran away, not "hey Kenny, where'd you go last night?"
And it's all connected to Cthulhu somehow.
Southparkfan135

Postby Southparkfan135 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:22 am

This was the greatest season 14 episode so far! Now I have a totally new view on Kenny... :unhoodedkenny:
Sorry for my bad English...
James--76

Postby James--76 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:35 am

Just watched it again i love this episode did anybody else laugh at Hindsight`s companions

Shoulda,Woulda & Coulda :lol:
Kyle: Why? How could you do this? There are people starving in Alabama and you give Cartman a million dollars?

Cartman: Line? Lines! I HATE LINES!!!
Niels0827

Postby Niels0827 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:51 am

I figured the scene with Cartman sitting on Cthulhu had to be a reference to something, because the sounds he was making and the way he was acting were a little awkward. Funny, nonetheless.
CherrehCola

Postby CherrehCola » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:57 am

Poor Kenny :(

It troubles me now that the riddle might mean they'll kill him off for good. Actually, when the cult guy stabbed him, I thought for sure he wouldn't wake up. Guess it's not so simple.

Still. In a way, his superpower's cool-whatever happens to him, he knows he'll come back, but knowing his friends just ignore it whenever he gets squished or laugh it off must be tough on the lil guy.

Still. I've never thought of him to be so awesome. This made me look at him in a whole new light, hope M&T decide to keep him.
DON'T KICK THE BABY!

~*Dream about the sun,you queen of rain.
Ahisgewaya

Postby Ahisgewaya » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:01 am

I think this episode was hilarious.

I hope they don't get rid of Kenny now that he's this awesome, that would suck.

That "the end is near" in the mirror has me worried though.
Ahisgewaya

Postby Ahisgewaya » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:19 am

And by the way, best part of the episode?

"MINTBERRY CRUNCH!"

Freaking epic.
Ahisgewaya

Re: Reading between the lines

Postby Ahisgewaya » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:22 am

VACOOLA wrote:
aerojockey wrote:When Mysterion was explaining his curse to Captain Hindsight, he said he always wakes up in bed in the same clothes.

The "same clothes" part seems a tad superfluous. (I mean, you've just risen from the dead, does it really matter what you're wearing?) I suspect it was included because the Orange Parka is part of the manifestation of the curse.

According to "Cartman Joins NAMBLA" and "Cripple Fight" Kenny's parka is an integral part of his curse of perpetual dying/rebirth, although this new Groundhog Day kind-of explanation contradicts the story given in the "NAMBLA" episode. But… whatever.

At least all the "identity craze" is now finally over. Phew! 8)

Maybe the coat isn't what gives him his power, but instead that since it's been with him through so many deaths and rebirths some of the curse's power has corrupted the coat somehow. Thus when Timmy gives Jimmy the coat everything tries to kill him while he wears it.

Of coarse, this IS a comedy show remember. It doesn't have to make sense.
Brendle

Postby Brendle » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:37 am

I think Kenny should start talking unmuffled permanently now.

It'd be a huge risk but screw it--take the risk. They're not taking risks anymore.

Remember Towelie? That was a huge risk. That was back when they had balls.

My thoughts on the episode: meh. The whole Kenny/Mysterion thing was great...I was loving that.

As usual, Cartman is pathetically violent and over-the-top. It's just not funny when he beats up the girl.

The "Cartman being cute" scene was the most bizarre scene I think I've EVER seen. And that's not a good kind of bizarre. Didn't find it funny at all. Pretty much filled time.

Shoulda Woulda Coulda was pretty funny.

I can't believe they turned this into a three-parter.
My name is Brendle, and I think Trey Parker is a genius.
kanpachi

Postby kanpachi » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:11 pm

Niels0827 wrote:I figured the scene with Cartman sitting on Cthulhu had to be a reference to something, because the sounds he was making and the way he was acting were a little awkward. Funny, nonetheless.

It's a reference of the ghibli movie "Tonari no Totoro", known in the west as "My neighbor Totoro"
here's a clip of the original scene which starts at about 4:00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocONUZj2 ... 1&index=69
kanpachi

Postby kanpachi » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:22 pm

Niels0827 wrote:I figured the scene with Cartman sitting on Cthulhu had to be a reference to something, because the sounds he was making and the way he was acting were a little awkward. Funny, nonetheless.

Also, I forgot to mention, that song that was being played in the background when The Coon was riding Cthulhu was a parody of this song from the same movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo9dol1NDiQ
djs89

Postby djs89 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:03 pm

Okay I loved this episode, I thought it was one of the most creative they've done. Oh and I loved the comic book drawings.

What was up with that part where Cartman is sitting on the monster? That confused me, it was like something straight out of a Japanese cartoon. Not very South-Parky. Still kind of cute though.

I suspected that Kenny was Mysterion and his super power would be immortality, so I'm happy I guessed right.
Sahara

Postby Sahara » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:09 pm

OMG ok so my guess for Mysterion's identity was correct so...yay! And Cartman riding the monster like a damn dragon from Never Ending Story...hilarious! I practically fell out of my seat when SP was mocking the LeBron commercial. Seriously that guy is such a douche bag. Who the hell makes a commercial like that? Thank you Matt and Trey for once again stating the obvious (and making me laugh while doing it)!
thellama73

Postby thellama73 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:01 pm

The episode just didn't feel like South Park anymore. I felt like I was watching a completely different show.
They attack Family Guy for shoehorning jokes in that have nothing to do with the plot, but the Totoro reference and the parody of a commercial that I had never seen before Wednesday night felt pretty random to me.
I personally think they are building up to a big ending to the series, with Kenny living (or possibly dying for good) and Cartman most likely getting locked away for his increasingly psychopathic behavior.

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”