*1413: Coon vs. Coon & Friends* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

Churlesque

Re: *1413: Coon vs. Coon & Friends* Post-Air Discussion

Postby Churlesque » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:51 am

Although I didn't care for the first part of the trilogy all that much, the last two episodes were great. I was guffawing at the end.

Kenny is my favorite character, and the fact that he didn't save the day or get any glory at the end is why I like him. Being such a hard luck fellow, and surrounded by people that treat him with indifference, he's a great everyman.
aussieSPfan

Postby aussieSPfan » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:08 am

So not that it really matters, cause matt and trey can change the show whenever they want and cartoons dont need to make sense (i.e. the episode after kennys season absence where he majically re-appeared and wasnt "reborn")

so this theory means jack all

Buuuuuut,

if somone were to kill kennys mum, does that not mean that inturn kenny will lose his immortality power - note the quote from the 2nd ep something along the lines "even in death, death may die"
zzyzx 1

Postby zzyzx 1 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:13 am

aussieSPfan wrote:So not that it really matters, cause matt and trey can change the show whenever they want and cartoons dont need to make sense (i.e. the episode after kennys season absence where he majically re-appeared and wasnt "reborn")

so this theory means jack all

Buuuuuut,

if somone were to kill kennys mum, does that not mean that inturn kenny will lose his immortality power - note the quote from the 2nd ep something along the lines "even in death, death may die"

Interesting. Kenny won't be able to be born from his mom again, but he still may be able to wake up in his bed with everyone else forgetting that he ever died. Maybe a 50/50 chance Kenny will lose his power if his mom died.

@Stanluv25: If you want to talk about voices, did you catch Stan's voice every time he was told by Kenny that Mysterion's super power is that he can't die? He (Stan) didn't sound like Stan normally does; he was like: "What?" in a normal sounding voice, not a cartoon voice 8)

And back to Star Trek: Here are the two original Star Trek geeks from earlier episodes worshiping Cthulhu in last weeks 1412 episode:

http://tinyurl.com/2bj74u4

Next, in the Original Star Trek Series, a lot was made of Romulus and Remus becoming one, just as the planets/worlds of Mint and Berry became one. This is from wiki on Romulus and Remus regarding Rome, which was the basis for it's use in Star Trek:

"Romulus and Remus are Rome's twin founders in its traditional foundation myth. They are descendants of the Trojan prince and refugee Aeneas, and are fathered by the god Mars or the demi-god Hercules on a royal Vestal Virgin, Rhea Silvia (also known as Ilia), whose uncle exposes them to die in the wild. They are found by a she-wolf who suckles and cares for them. The twins are eventually restored to their regal birthright, acquire many followers and decide to found a new city."

Remember, last year, in 2009, the new movie Star Trek (2009) was so big, that Apple used the film in their own advertising on Macs, iPods, and what not. That movie dealt with Romulus, a Romulus that had already merged with Remus. Just like Mint and Berry merged to make Mint Berry Crunch. I'm sure M&T, Star Trek fans, incorporated some of that old Star Trek/Roman lore in this trilogy as well.

aerojockey wrote:I should've known M&T would never wholly reveal the show's oldest secret. Good show.

I knew that Mint Berry Crunch's powers were real as soon as the camera cut off right before he spun around and said shalom (or whatever), and Kenny's face was priceless when he realized that guy was talking to Bradley.

Shablagoo <=== That was the word :)
MrMcKenzie

Postby MrMcKenzie » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:51 am

For me, this episode was disappointing.

As some others here said before, it seemed rushed.

And Bradley "snatching" the hero role from Kenny (whom we were expecting to save the world after the last two eps) seemed like a deus-ex-machina.

Idk, but it felt like if MnT were reading this forum and went kinda: "Oh, many people don't want Kenny to be revealed too much, and they don't really like Hindsight, but they would like to see more from MBC...Let's do it that way."
Probably it's not the case, but who knows? They seem to be somewhat uncertain sice 201 (think of the Insheeption joke stealing)... :roll:

Also, Cartmans "sweet"-thing with Chtulhu got annoying for me...though this time I did actually catch the reference:
It's from an old Looney Tunes Cartoon, staring Hector the Bulldog and a little Kitten. I think I still have the old videotape from my childhood somewhere! :mrgreen:

EDIT: It's from a Merry Melodies cartoon, and it stares Marc Anthony, not Hector the Bulldog...dangit, these fat Looney Tunes - dogs look all the same :wink:

Here is the original video:
http://fan.tcm.com/_Feed-the-Kitty/VIDEO/779975/66470.html
Last edited by MrMcKenzie on Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
zzyzx 1

Postby zzyzx 1 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:02 am

That's cool. People have different opinions, and unlike The Coon, who thinks the only right opinion is his (he was destroying the planet yet The Coon thought he was on the side of good, not evil), I don't think it's a deus-ex-machina as that means that the problem was solved by an unexpected character - Mint Berry Crunch, and not by Mysterion, the expected character. (And yes, I googled deus-ex-machina; I didn't know what it meant).

But look at the 4 episodes; the trilogy plus 1302: The Coon. In 1302, everyone wanted to know who Mysterion was. Then the trilogy started, and we learned almost immediately that Kenny was Mysterion. So we all pulled for Mysterion to solve the problem. Yet there was something about Mint Berry Crunch from the beginning. Even The Coon spoke to MBC privately, trying to ascertain his powers. And after the airing of the second episode of the trilogy, I even posted in the pre-air thread to tonight's episode that MBC will have a big role in solving the problem.

So from 1411, the first in this series of three, Some thought MBC was being groomed for something big. But most of the board were more interested in issues from 1302 - who is Mysterion, and now that we know who Mysterion is, what will he do?

While there was posting of who is MBC (was he Bradley or not?), there was little in the way of why is he here, and what are his real super powers. Only that he was a joke or something, and Mysterion was the whole thing. Well, from the beginning of this set of three shows, MBC was being groomed for the climax of tonight's show. Well done, Matt and Trey :D
Last edited by zzyzx 1 on Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
James--76

Postby James--76 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:17 am

I am going to burn the 3 episodes on to dvd then edit out the end credits to make one episode, i am inviting a couple of friends around tonight (who i have just turned into south park fans) and we are going ot watch them. :)
Kyle: Why? How could you do this? There are people starving in Alabama and you give Cartman a million dollars?

Cartman: Line? Lines! I HATE LINES!!!
zzyzx 1

Postby zzyzx 1 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:29 am

Great idea :idea: <===== There's an emote that's seldom used around here :P

James--76 & Friends will watch Coon & Friends. Too bad there's a continent and an ocean between us; I would like to bring some friends over too to watch the screening :)
James--76

Postby James--76 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:34 am

zzyzx 1 wrote:Great idea :idea: <===== There's an emote that's seldom used around here :P

James--76 & Friends will watch Coon & Friends. Too bad there's a continent and an ocean between us; I would like to bring some friends over too to watch the screening :)

Would you want to leave the warmth of California (i think you are from there) for wet & windy East Anglia :D
Kyle: Why? How could you do this? There are people starving in Alabama and you give Cartman a million dollars?

Cartman: Line? Lines! I HATE LINES!!!
MrMcKenzie

Postby MrMcKenzie » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:35 am

zzyzx 1 wrote:That's cool. People have different opinions, and unlike The Coon, who thinks the only right opinion is his (he was destroying the planet yet The Coon thought he was on the side of good, not evil), I don't think it's a deus-ex-machina as that means that the problem was solved by an unexpected character - Mint Berry Crunch, and not by Mysterion, the expected character. (And yes, I googled deus-ex-machina; I didn't know what it meant).

But look at the 4 episodes; the trilogy plus 1302: The Coon. In 1302, everyone wanted to know who Mysterion was. Then the trilogy started, and we learned almost immediately that Kenny was Mysterion. So we all pulled for Mysterion to solve the problem. Yet there was something about Mint Berry Crunch from the beginning. Even The Coon spoke to MBC privately, trying to ascertain his powers. And after the airing of the second episode of the trilogy, I even posted in the pre-air thread to tonight's episode that MBC will have a big role in solving the problem.

I see what you mean. I think I must specify what I wanted to express. It seemed to me like sort of a "stretched out" deus-ex-machina, if anone has an idea, what I mean by that :P
You know, not so much within the context of the Coon story, but more the thing as a whole - when did Bradley ever have any big role up to this threeparter? He was a background kid like many others, and suddenly he's in the super hero team, instead of more used characters, like Jimmy. So yeah, from that moment on it was somewhat predictable, that he could be important in the end. But not before "Coon 2: Hindsight".
Brendle

Postby Brendle » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:41 am

It was OK. Better than the last two, that's for sure.

Kind of a nice way to end the trilogy.

Kenny should just talk unmuffled permanently now. They've opened up the Pandora's box and he's changed permanently. It would be exciting for the show to finally have Kenny become an actual person.

Things I liked:

- The Mint Berry Crunch reveal. Completely absurd and subverted ALL of our expectations. The whole "mint hunters" explanation was so absurd and ridiculous it made me laugh.

- Mint Berry Crunch talking about how he heroically ran away.

- How they tied everything together at the end.

- Kenny killing himself to get out of the dark oblivion.

Things I hated:

- Anything with Cartman

- Lebron James (ugh...)
My name is Brendle, and I think Trey Parker is a genius.
zzyzx 1

Postby zzyzx 1 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:45 am

MrMcKenzie wrote:I see what you mean. I think I must specify what I wanted to express. It seemed to me like sort of a "stretched out" deus-ex-machina, if anone has an idea, what I mean by that :P
You know, not so much within the context of the Coon story, but more the thing as a whole - when did Bradley ever have any big role up to this threeparter? He was a background kid like many others, and suddenly he's in the super hero team, instead of more used characters, like Jimmy. So yeah, from that moment on it was somewhat predictable, that he could be important in the end. But not before "Coon 2: Hindsight".

I agree. Up until "Coon 2: Hindsight," Bradley was a background character, and then suddenly he was a super hero with the others instead of a semi-regular shall we say like Jimmy? However, in looking at these three (or four if we count 1302), and if you knew nothing about South Park, it was predictable that he could be important in the end. :)

btw, nice to meet you, MrMcKenzie.

James--76 wrote:Would you want to leave the warmth of California (i think you are from there) for wet & windy East Anglia :D

Yup, California :D Sure, why not? Any chance to watch South Park :D Especially to view a specially made disk of the trilogy xD
SajiNoKami

Postby SajiNoKami » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:53 am

Why was I surprised?
Kenny is not allowed to have resolve..
it seems to have been established over the years.
I do hope they do more with his story though
kid has been my favorite character for the past 14 seasons
the fact his parents never bothered to tell him
what is going on... wow.. actually makes me kind of angry

Eric's Cute Kitten Tech.. was rather awesome

MnT really going for tying up loose ends here..

I want to know why Kenny knows of the dimension
Cthulhu sent him to... there has to be more to this story.

at least they didn't permanently kill kenny off... again.. i was worried.
http://sajinokami.com/

formally sage_emerald
MrMcKenzie

Postby MrMcKenzie » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:03 pm

zzyzx 1 wrote:
MrMcKenzie wrote:I see what you mean. I think I must specify what I wanted to express. It seemed to me like sort of a "stretched out" deus-ex-machina, if anone has an idea, what I mean by that :P

I agree. Up until "Coon 2: Hindsight," Bradley was a background character, and then suddenly he was a super hero with the others instead of a semi-regular shall we say like Jimmy? However, in looking at these three (or four if we count 1302), and if you knew nothing about South Park, it was predictable that he could be important in the end. :)

btw, nice to meet you, MrMcKenzie.

NIce to meet you, too :D
abbs219

Postby abbs219 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:07 pm

hahaha i loved this trilogy 8)

i thought the parts where they have their own comic books were awesome!! and how there were different perspectives on who was really evil

i laughed especially hard at the add in cartmans comic book for "sea people" :lol:

:lol: at mintberry crunch

and :lol: at cartman getting locked up with butters at the end
runnerpadilla

Postby runnerpadilla » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:16 pm

It would have been better to see the resolution come from the momentum of the primary characters. The 'god in the machine' ending felt very unsatisfying. Overall though, a very fun story. But I won't rewatch it as many times as 'Imaginationland' (which also had a sort of 'god in the machine' ending).

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”