It's time for Season 14 rundowns, lists, and ratings!

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

JVM

Re: It's time for Season 14 rundowns, lists, and ratings!

Postby JVM » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:52 am

Just out of curiosity, what do you (or anyone else, for that matter) consider to be the A-plot of that episode? It feels rather evenly split between Cartman and Randy's plots.

It's the titular plot. That's really the only reason I have. Randy's the one dealing with the Medicinal Fried Chicken.

14B: Absolute trash. The worst run South Park's ever had.

Really? The worst run South Park has EVER had? Season 12a was pretty bad, and mind you, I'm one of it's biggest defenders.

You Have 0 Friends: Matt and Trey were 3 years late with the Facebook observations. People are treating Facebook friends like actual real friends. Yeah, that observation might have been cutting-edge 3 years ago. We've all heard the gags on this show before...

Facebook wasn't a big deal here until last year personally, so it came at a fine time. It's hard to be cutting edge in this day and age compared to the late 1990s when the internet was a new thing. These days information and fads spread at a faster rate than eve before. Why does South Park have to hit the bell first?

Créme Fraiche: Just a bizarre episode in general. Randy masturbating in front of his son...a Sharon B-Plot? Who cares about Sharon? She's a nothing character.

I care about Sharon. She's not a nothing character - she has a role. She's Stan's mother and she's also the brains to Randy's idiocy. Just earlier you mentioned how much you loved Mint-Berry Crunch. How is Sharon gaining a role any different? Personally I love when minor characters get expanded. My only issue is when they upstage major ones. Sharon did not do that.

What was this episode even saying? We're addicted to food like we are to sex? That the Weight Shaker has become a substitute for a husband? What the f*ck was this episode even saying?

Not every episode needs to have a message, particularly an episode after a story arc that received criticism from review sites for not being funny enough. It was supposed to be a mindless episode, and that's what we got.

It's a Jersey Thing: The most un-South Park episode they've ever made. There was just nothing charming/appealing about this piece of sh*t. Essentially, they did a lazy parody of a reality television show, with unfunny gags about Jersey people. Not even Snooki was funny.

See, you need to stop using "unfunny". It's a really generic criticism that ends up boiling down to "I didn't laugh, therefore the episode sucked." I barely laugh at South Park anymore because I've watched for long enough I can predict most twist and turns. Doesn't make an episode bad.

The only thing that stopped this from being South Park's worst episode ever was Kyle's transformation into a Jersey kid, Kyley B.

How so? I loved it too, I'm just curious why that was the only justification for you.
South Park is a platform for Matt and Trey's social commentary and satire; there is no canon and these characters only serve as tools for self-expression. Don't get attached.
Brendle

Postby Brendle » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:54 am

JVM wrote:Really? The worst run South Park has EVER had? Season 12a was pretty bad, and mind you, I'm one of it's biggest defenders.

Nope. 12a had Super Fun Time, a HILARIOUS episode. It also had Overlogging, which was above average and solid.

What did 14b have? Um...Insheeption?

JVM wrote:Facebook wasn't a big deal here until last year personally, so it came at a fine time. It's hard to be cutting edge in this day and age compared to the late 1990s when the internet was a new thing. These days information and fads spread at a faster rate than eve before. Why does South Park have to hit the bell first?

They don't have to...but if they're going to weigh in on something, please say something insightful or fresh.

LOL = laughing out loud and ROFL = rolling on the floor jokes were made ten years ago.

Whenever South Park does stuff about the Internet, it is usually cringe-worthy. That sketch about the YouTube celebrities back in 12a (a bad episode from the run you referred to) was awful. When they try to satirize Internet fads/memes it comes off as flat and it comes off as them trying to appear hip and in-the-know about the youth culture.

JVM wrote:I care about Sharon. She's not a nothing character - she has a role. She's Stan's mother and she's also the brains to Randy's idiocy. Just earlier you mentioned how much you loved Mint-Berry Crunch. How is Sharon gaining a role any different? Personally I love when minor characters get expanded. My only issue is when they upstage major ones. Sharon did not do that.

Okay, that's fine. Of course you need Sharon...she's, as you said, the Yin to Randy's Yang. For every wacky character, you need a straight character to balance them out.

But when you take the straight character and put them in a story by themselves, it's likely not going to be funny. And that was the result.

If there was no purpose to the Weight Shaker, other than to make the juvenile observation that it is like a penis, then why put it in the show?

If there is no purpose to Randy's love for food, other than to simply have a show about food because cooking shows are big lately...then why put it in the show?

There was no satire. There were no laughs.

JVM wrote:Not every episode needs to have a message, particularly an episode after a story arc that received criticism from review sites for not being funny enough. It was supposed to be a mindless episode, and that's what we got.

What you can always count on (usually) with South Park is that if there are no laughs, there's usually a smart concept underpinning the episode...or some insightful commentary/moral center.

In the case of Creme Fraiche, I didn't think there were any laughs. I didn't think there was anything, to be honest.

How so? I loved it too, I'm just curious why that was the only justification for you.

Well, I'm not one to usually deconstruct humor...but if you want one I'll give it.

The scene was a well-executed horror film genre parody, as well as being an efficient way of combining numerous points/observations into the one scene.

Instead of Kyle turning into a wolf (as in Teen Wolf, which was what they were parodying), he turned into a Jersey kid. It subverts an audience's expectations because they are expecting him to turn into a monster due to their familiarity with the horror genre.

It was a smart way of saying Jersey residents are like monsters, that Jersey residents have a stupid fashion sense, and that normal people would do anything not to become one of them (as illustrated by Kyle struggling against his will) all in about 30 seconds.

Whereas, in any other scene in this episode, it would take them about 3 minutes to deliver only ONE of those observations (that they have a stupid fashion sense, for example).

It was smarter/more effective than making all three of those points separately (which is the case for a lot of other gags in the show).
My name is Brendle, and I think Trey Parker is a genius.
BRMBug

Re: It's time for Season 14 rundowns, lists, and fartings!

Postby BRMBug » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:36 am

I've gotta stop speed-reading the title of this thing.

I have no ratings for this season. 200 and 201 were so epic that I can't bring myself to assign numbers to stuff. (although i must admit, the coon trilagee was quite good at the start there)
IHeartKennyMcCormick

Postby IHeartKennyMcCormick » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:52 pm

Brendle wrote:Nope. 12a had Super Fun Time, a HILARIOUS episode. It also had Overlogging, which was above average and solid.

I do agree that Super Fun Time was a hilarious episode. But, I still don't think season 14 is the worst (If you want the worst season, IMO it's no doubt season 6). It certianly isn't the best, but it's close to it.

14b had good episodes, Insheeption not being one. The Coon Triology was amazing untill MBC upstaged Kenny. That wasn't cool...

It's a Jersey Thing was also a good episode. Not the best, but it wasn't as bad as you claimed.

Brendle wrote:They don't have to...but if they're going to weigh in on something, please say something insightful or fresh.

LOL = laughing out loud and ROFL = rolling on the floor jokes were made ten years ago.

Whenever South Park does stuff about the Internet, it is usually cringe-worthy. That sketch about the YouTube celebrities back in 12a (a bad episode from the run you referred to) was awful. When they try to satirize Internet fads/memes it comes off as flat and it comes off as them trying to appear hip and in-the-know about the youth culture.

I think the whole LOL and ROLF jokes were to say Kip isn't really into the cool stuff. Seeing as his parents asked him what Kyle said, and he replied with Laughing out Loud and Rolling on the Floor Laughing instead of "He lol'd."

Brendle wrote:Okay, that's fine. Of course you need Sharon...she's, as you said, the Yin to Randy's Yang. For every wacky character, you need a straight character to balance them out.

But when you take the straight character and put them in a story by themselves, it's likely not going to be funny. And that was the result.

If there was no purpose to the Weight Shaker, other than to make the juvenile observation that it is like a penis, then why put it in the show?

If there is no purpose to Randy's love for food, other than to simply have a show about food because cooking shows are big lately...then why put it in the show?

There was no satire. There were no laughs.

I agree with you. The season finale was awful. The only laughs I got were from Cartman;s Chef Ramsay impersonation and the title of the food throwdown thing. Everything else was just so... I'm not sure.

Brendle wrote:What you can always count on (usually) with South Park is that if there are no laughs, there's usually a smart concept underpinning the episode...or some insightful commentary/moral center.

In the case of Creme Fraiche, I didn't think there were any laughs. I didn't think there was anything, to be honest.

Creme Fraiche is one of the worst episodes of South Park...

:gaykenny:
Butters Best Moment: I like that Boom Boom Pow...

Kenny's Best Moment: PHFFFT ALL OF THEM!
I love K2: Kyle x Kenny. And Cartters: Cartman x Butters. All other couples don't really matter.
Wii fit man

Postby Wii fit man » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:34 pm

Brendle wrote:
JVM wrote:Really? The worst run South Park has EVER had? Season 12a was pretty bad, and mind you, I'm one of it's biggest defenders.

Nope. 12a had Super Fun Time, a HILARIOUS episode. It also had Overlogging, which was above average and solid.

I hated Overlogging =/

Anyways, um...I'm not going to be specific here. I'll just say that I didn't like The Tale of Scrootie McBoogerballs. Other than that...none were wonderful to me, but none were bad. It was a pretty average season.
effses: Austin confirmed for turbo homosexual
Jake, M'kay?

Postby Jake, M'kay? » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:09 pm

IHeartKennyMcCormick wrote: (If you want the worst season, IMO it's no doubt season 6)

I'm not one to criticize others opinions, but Jesus Christ that's the worst opinion ever, dude.

Just curious, why do you find season 6 to be the worst?
"If a tree falls in the forest and there's no one there to hear it, my illegal logging business succeeds ."

"I have only two modes, at war with something, or having sex with it. There is no middle ground"
IHeartKennyMcCormick

Postby IHeartKennyMcCormick » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:20 pm

Jake, M'kay? wrote:
IHeartKennyMcCormick wrote: (If you want the worst season, IMO it's no doubt season 6)

I'm not one to criticize others opinions, but Jesus Christ that's the worst opinion ever, dude.

Just curious, why do you find season 6 to be the worst?

Well, I love all the seasons of South Park, but I like the other season a lot better than season 6. It may of came off as I was saying"it's just a awful season." but, I just meant it's not my favorite. There are good parts in the season. But,... it was missing something for the most part and started the whole "Let's replace Kenny with Butters" thing. :gaykenny:
Butters Best Moment: I like that Boom Boom Pow...

Kenny's Best Moment: PHFFFT ALL OF THEM!
I love K2: Kyle x Kenny. And Cartters: Cartman x Butters. All other couples don't really matter.
Herzy_fied

Postby Herzy_fied » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:29 am

I know noone's opinion is right...but really? 12A better than 14B? Wanka. And even though Insheeption was stolen I don't know how people can't like it...and some people critisizing (however u spell it) 200/201, those were great! Now, back to 12A, I don't like saying South Park episodes are bad, but these just didn't have a good feel about them, it's like someone else has tried to write for South Park and completely failed (I copied that off a review from a website)-only good episodes in 12A were Major Boobage and i guess super fun time. and 12B!!! don't get me started besides Pandemic and Pandemic 2 that just made season 12 the worst season ever for me.

Season 14 was probs the second or third favourite season for me. season 13 is my fave. my old-school friend likes season 2 and 3 and stufff.....lol
Sgt.YatesMonkeyBalls

Postby Sgt.YatesMonkeyBalls » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:25 am

Season 6 is amazing because they finally released themselves from the shackles of one of their lamest jokes (killing Kenny) and was pretty much one of the few seasons to give a real sense of story arcs and on-going plots with Butters, Tweek, Kenny inside of Cartman, killing off Jesus (allowing him to have the greatest comeback of all-time), and bringing back Kenny. It also joins seasons 4 and 5 as the only ones where I cannot pick an episode as a least favorite--I love them all.

12a will always suck in my eyes not only because it contains the worst episode ever (Britney's New Look), but also because they killed one of my favorite running gags (Cartman giving Kyle AIDS) by delivering it in such a boring manner.

I also feel that "Super Fun Time," while enjoyable, is grossly overrated. I just can't help but suspect that people only love it because they feel it canonizes various pairings with the whole "partners" thing, namely Cartman/Butters. I will simply never be able to wrap my mind around why the SP fandom is so obsessed with slash-fiction involving the boys and only the boys.

But we're all entitled to our own opinions, I suppose.

Unless that opinion insults season 6. :P
Characters Ranked by Speaking Appearances...y'know, if you care about useless, autistic trivia like that.

Favorite Characters: Randy, Yates, and Butters
Favorite Episode: Cartman's Incredible Gift
Favorite Pairing: Randy x Sharon
Brendle

Postby Brendle » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:03 am

Sgt.YatesMonkeyBalls wrote:I also feel that "Super Fun Time," while enjoyable, is grossly overrated. I just can't help but suspect that people only love it because they feel it canonizes various pairings with the whole "partners" thing, namely Cartman/Butters. I will simply never be able to wrap my mind around why the SP fandom is so obsessed with slash-fiction involving the boys and only the boys.

Don't like it for the pairings at all. Cartman/Butters was never really that funny a pairing to me, although I do love AWESOM-O and Casa Bonita.

The pioneers never breaking character was just a hilarious premise with funny possibilites.

The way Stan gets them out of the hostage situation is funny as well.

Herzy_fied wrote:I know noone's opinion is right...but really? 12A better than 14B? Wanka. And even though Insheeption was stolen I don't know how people can't like it...

Because the only point of the whole show is to say that one movie is stupid. It poorly connects a hoarding B-Plot to the Inception-mocking A-plot.

Stan is out-of-character...and one scene was stolen, word-for-word, from another show.

Let's not forget that the way they made fun of Inception wasn't particularly clever: the background music sounds from that guy...the "taco within a taco" jokes.

Wanka.
Herzy_fied

Postby Herzy_fied » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:50 am

Herzy_fied wrote:I know noone's opinion is right...but really? 12A better than 14B? Wanka. And even though Insheeption was stolen I don't know how people can't like it...

Because the only point of the whole show is to say that one movie is stupid. It poorly connects a hoarding B-Plot to the Inception-mocking A-plot.

Stan is out-of-character...and one scene was stolen, word-for-word, from another show.

Let's not forget that the way they made fun of Inception wasn't particularly clever: the background music sounds from that guy...the "taco within a taco" jokes.

Wanka.[/quote]

lol touchee. u sound like a hardcore-nerd too! lol but still i dont know how people think 12A is better than 14B
Herzy_fied

Postby Herzy_fied » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:52 am

i dont know how to copy someones quote properly...lol u get the idea
Jayboner

Postby Jayboner » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:02 pm

It's a three-way tie between Medicinal Fried Chicken, The Tale of Scrotie McBoogerballs, and Insheeption for best of the season for me.

Poor and Stupid, Creme Fraiche, and the Coon Trilogy were five of the worst SP episodes I've seen in a while (and keep in mind my three favorite characters are Randy Marsh, Cartman, and Kenny)
Brendle

Postby Brendle » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:58 am

I'm officially updating my favorite episode: it is now Coon vs. Coon and Friends.

That Mintberry Crunch thing was the best part of the entire series.
zzyzx 1

Postby zzyzx 1 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:29 pm

1. 201
2. 200
3. Coon vs. Coon & Friends
4. Coon 2: Hindsight
5. Mysterion Rises
6. Creme Fraiche
7. You Have 0 Friends
8. Medicinal Fried Chicken
9. Sexual Healing
10. The Tale of Scrotie McBoggerballs
11. Crippled Summer