*1506: City Sushi* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

dusty506

Re: *1506: City Sushi* Post-Air Discussion

Postby dusty506 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:49 am

lol they should have all four of them again and have an episode like that not just one... south park is based on the main 4 and sometimes butters... lol
nwt000

Postby nwt000 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:51 am

Stanluv25 wrote:I wanna clear up my thoughts on Wendy: As a character, I like her. I love that she is headstrong and smart. However I do not like the relationship of her and Stan. There's a difference. I see nothing but two little kids who don't know what love is, 'together.' Be that as it may I sort of see Wendy as any of the other secondary kids. Like Bebe. Clyde. Craig. Red. All the other girls in Mr. Garrison's class. I'm not pushing for them having their own episode because it's not really needed. Stan needs his eppy next week because he is one of the main 5 boys and by now, Cartman, Kyle, and Butters have had their big moments. It's time for Stan's. :)

and Kenny... he's a lamp. so.... he hardly gets screen time or a real role anyway and I'm fine with it. *shrugs*

Better idea: Stan and Wendy get the A-Plot, but they are shown as friends, not lovers. We have never seen them hang out as just friends and I think they would have a good time without any romantic stuff.
Unassumption

Postby Unassumption » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:59 am

This yellow face role is perpetuated by white people, which is why Dr. Janus, who plays a caricature of a Chinese man, is white.

And voiced by the same white guy as well. Intricate doesn't make it effective comedy. It was funny in an awkward kind of way, even if most of the laughs come from sh*tty voices, some people like me are easily amused :timmy:
AND BY THE WAY, I WIN
Juggalo2111

Mr, Lou kim

Postby Juggalo2111 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:01 am

I'm soo glad he didn't get written off the show. sh*tty walk is the best restaurant in town.
revivingjula

Postby revivingjula » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:20 am

Unassumption wrote:Intricate doesn't make it effective comedy.

That depends on who you are and what your tastes are. I like the fact that they lampoon people who entertain stereotypes as reality. More especially because as a cartoon you kind of end up doing that anyway. And south park is notorious for it. Stereotypes can be a route to a more direct comedy, but making fun of holding sterotypes is one notch up.

Good episode. But now everytime Lu Kim is featured (if ever again) it will be remebered that he is a crazy white man.
That's a BAD MR. KITTY!!!
cynthia325

Postby cynthia325 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:33 am

Porsche991 wrote:I feel like you guys all missed a huge and obvious point here. Dr. Janus playing Lu Kim is called "yellow face," which is the racial and stereotypical portrayal of Asians by white people. M&T are obviously lampooning how white Americans view Americans of Asian descent and how those views are archaic and just plain flat out wrong. These yellow face roles were manufactured by white Americans to reinforce white supremacy. This yellow face role is perpetuated by white people, which is why Dr. Janus, who plays a caricature of a Chinese man, is white. This was a very intricate episode. Those who said this episode lacks depth do not know much about the development of theater in the states.

This topic has also been addressed by Avenue Q via the character named "Christmas Eve."

This episode gets a 10/10 from me.

You made a very good point. I think you are just wonderful for making this comment.
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:38 am

revivingjula wrote:

That depends on who you are and what your tastes are. I like the fact that they lampoon people who entertain stereotypes as reality. More especially because as a cartoon you kind of end up doing that anyway. And south park is notorious for it. Stereotypes can be a route to a more direct comedy, but making fun of holding sterotypes is one notch up.

Good episode. But now everytime Lu Kim is featured (if ever again) it will be remebered that he is a crazy white man.

LOL..Hi, welcome to the board..That quote is a reason why if you hang out here a while you will probably see me and unASSumption not getting along. He tends to talk to people with different opinions than his like they are stupid. And I am a bitch who likes to tell people off..It is a pleasure to meet you..LOL..

I liked the episode, especially the end. Loved the reference to Psycho. I love it when there are horror references on South Park..And it also reminded me of an episode of the Simpsons, that really old one where we find out Principal Seymour's real indentity, and how that bitch he lives with isn't his biological mother..At the end of the episode, they decided to just pretend nothing happened and go back to normal..That is probably what is going to happen on future episodes of South Park..We are still going to see the owner of City Wok and he's still going to think he is Chinese..
Ex1lepr0

Postby Ex1lepr0 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:39 am

Porsche991 wrote:I feel like you guys all missed a huge and obvious point here. Dr. Janus playing Lu Kim is called "yellow face," which is the racial and stereotypical portrayal of Asians by white people. M&T are obviously lampooning how white Americans view Americans of Asian descent and how those views are archaic and just plain flat out wrong. These yellow face roles were manufactured by white Americans to reinforce white supremacy. This yellow face role is perpetuated by white people, which is why Dr. Janus, who plays a caricature of a Chinese man, is white. This was a very intricate episode. Those who said this episode lacks depth do not know much about the development of theater in the states.

This topic has also been addressed by Avenue Q via the character named "Christmas Eve."

I never thought of it as addressing that issue. This could be the message behind the episode, or you're reading into it too much. In this case though, I think it's the first.
Can't we all just get along?
benjithekid

Postby benjithekid » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:46 am

This episode has probably been the best this season. It makes a lot of points about racial stereotyping and makes some interesting references. The reference to how not even those in psychology can agree on whether or not MPD is real was golden. And am I the only one who caught a small reference to Sybil?
ChaosKirin

Postby ChaosKirin » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:12 am

Perfumecandy wrote:I understand you really want Stan to have his episode, Stanluv25, but it's time for Kyle have his screentime now :o but I do agree about Stan having his own eppy.

Kyle's had his screen time this whole season?
"Kahl, this is the way the world works! If you want to find some quality friends, to have to wade through all the dicks first!"
Brendle

Postby Brendle » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:20 am

Sorry, you're reaching. And this is coming from someone who loved the episode.

There was no satire of Americans going on: if anything, it was satirizing themselves for making such a cartoonishly stereotypical character. It just sounds like a white guy putting on an offensive Chinese accent...wait...it is!

Or, if you look at things more broadly: maybe the episode was implying that Trey Parker and Matt Stone both have multiple personality disorder, since they have about one hundred cartoon characters living inside them.

But really, it was just a funny episode with a funny story, with a twist ending. An ending that changed South Park lore. It seems most of the episodes that change South Park lore are awesome.

The fact that everybody thought the Lu Kim thing was just a throw-away B-Plot (as he so often is...check out "Wacky Molestation Adventures"), and it turns out it's actually the A-Plot too, is awesome story-telling.

I loved it when Lu Kim says "you're in fol a bit of a surprrrise you Japanese...oh, sorry!" in the letter. LOL.

Loved Butters' parents' idiotic overreaction to Butters being a normal kid, and the adults all thinking it's a sickness. Classic.

And then the hilarious irony of Dr Janus having multiple personalities, accusing Butters of having them. When he flipped out and started acting like 5 different people, I nearly died laughing. Then when he came in Butters' room...first time I've been genuinely creeped out by South Park.

Dr Janus is Norman Bates on crack.

To the people complaining about the twist being absurd/ridiculous, it was kind of the point. As if the character of Lu Kim isn't absurd/ridiculous enough ANYWAY.

And the hilarious way they went back to normal. "Let's just let him keep believing he's a Chinese man." "Done."

My favorite lines:

"It was kind of sneaky...kind of rike a Pearl Harbor? Hokay? That was a rittle sneaky too, huh?"

"Well, I suppose there's no need for jail, Mr and Mrs Stotch. So long as you ground your son."

"Everyone gonna think it's just because you did what Japanese people rove doing the most!"
Last edited by Brendle on Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
My name is Brendle, and I think Trey Parker is a genius.
GeminiShamrock

Postby GeminiShamrock » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:27 am

M00ndragon69 wrote:
revivingjula wrote:

LOL..Hi, welcome to the board..That quote is a reason why if you hang out here a while you will probably see me and unASSumption not getting along. He tends to talk to people with different opinions than his like they are stupid. And I am a bitch who likes to tell people off..It is a pleasure to meet you..LOL..

I liked the episode, especially the end. Loved the reference to Psycho. I love it when there are horror references on South Park..And it also reminded me of an episode of the Simpsons, that really old one where we find out Principal Seymour's real indentity, and how that bitch he lives with isn't his biological mother..At the end of the episode, they decided to just pretend nothing happened and go back to normal..That is probably what is going to happen on future episodes of South Park..We are still going to see the owner of City Wok and he's still going to think he is Chinese..

You haven't told me off yet, madam. 8) :lol:

Anyway, you're absolutely right. That's probably what will happen. Again, this episode was great and if it could be included in the MY TOP 15 list, I'd put it at No. 12. It's THAT good! (Well, in my opinion, anyway.)
Texas born; Texas raised; Texas proud!
REVERSE THE POLARITY OF THE NEUTRON FLOW! (Proud Doctor Who fan.)
Proud member of the Tin Foil Hat Club.
Jeff Murdock "Mopie" (1986-2013) Rest in peace, Mopie.
piemantheman

Postby piemantheman » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:36 am

did you notice that when butters got rid of his play thing he gotta rid of every thing exsept pro. chaos..... :twisted:
JenaWriter

Hilarious!!!

Postby JenaWriter » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:47 am

Butters manages to be funny no matter what he says or does, and so are his parents. If Butters had his own spin off show, I would watch every episode!
Stanluv25

Postby Stanluv25 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:00 am

nwt000 wrote:
Stanluv25 wrote:I wanna clear up my thoughts on Wendy: As a character, I like her. I love that she is headstrong and smart. However I do not like the relationship of her and Stan. There's a difference. I see nothing but two little kids who don't know what love is, 'together.' Be that as it may I sort of see Wendy as any of the other secondary kids. Like Bebe. Clyde. Craig. Red. All the other girls in Mr. Garrison's class. I'm not pushing for them having their own episode because it's not really needed. Stan needs his eppy next week because he is one of the main 5 boys and by now, Cartman, Kyle, and Butters have had their big moments. It's time for Stan's. :)

and Kenny... he's a lamp. so.... he hardly gets screen time or a real role anyway and I'm fine with it. *shrugs*

Better idea: Stan and Wendy get the A-Plot, but they are shown as friends, not lovers. We have never seen them hang out as just friends and I think they would have a good time without any romantic stuff.

:) I guess. I just don't care much about the girls. I'm all up for boys being boys really. :)
I love: Stan, Butters, Cartman, Sharon.

I ship: Stan/Cartman <3

Stan: MMOOMM!!
Sharon: What is it honey? (gasp!) My baby's killed again!
Haa, I love that line.

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”