*1507: You're Getting Old* Pre-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

Big-Will
Board Moderator

Re: *1507: You're Getting Old* Pre-Air Discussion

Postby Big-Will » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:16 am

Trey, Stan couldn't be listening to Salt'N'Pepa, could he???
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
JVM

Postby JVM » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:20 am

Birthday scene'll probably be the big six, and maybe Craig, Clyde and Token, the Marshes, . I doubt we'll see anyone else. Stan has no female friends, and Wendy doesn't count because she's pretty much been written out of the show.
South Park is a platform for Matt and Trey's social commentary and satire; there is no canon and these characters only serve as tools for self-expression. Don't get attached.
NeuroHeart

Postby NeuroHeart » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:21 am

I don't recall Stan turning ten already, though I wouldn't be surprised. I actually don't recall seeing a birthday party for him at all. Cartman has had parties and Kyle had a party (planned) but when did Stan have one?
JVM wrote:
dusty506 wrote:Where the **** is Kenny!!! lol...

He's being a beacon of hope watching over the city at night. As darkness descends, he alone works to protect the city from crime. He is the symbol this town needs.

Win.

I want to see more Mysterion. I really thought he was going to be back before now, they seemed pretty stoked on the whole thing. I'll just hope that they're planning something big.
To believe in something just because you're afraid of the consequences if you don't believe in something is no reason to believe in something.
Zazaban

Postby Zazaban » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:22 am

Big six? I can think of five, who's six?

Anyway, I hope Stan gets focus over Randy this episode, though it looks worryingly like the other way around. Most 'Stan' episodes these days he gets sidelined by Randy. This is a good plot, pray Randy does not take over and leave it rushed and sketchy.
skurtz wrote:
nwt000 wrote:Get your trolling ass out of here!

I'm more friendlier drinking some espresso.
nwt000

Postby nwt000 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:23 am

JVM wrote:Birthday scene'll probably be the big six, and maybe Craig, Clyde and Token, the Marshes, . I doubt we'll see anyone else. Stan has no female friends, and Wendy doesn't count because she's pretty much been written out of the show.

I hope Wendy finds a way into this one, she is not a goner as she spoke in TMI. You never know, Wendy might just bring her friends to the party.
dryose

Postby dryose » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:33 am

oh come on don't age the boys!!!!!
dusty506

Re:

Postby dusty506 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:35 am

dryose wrote:oh come on don't age the boys!!!!!

lol
JVM

Postby JVM » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:36 am

Six is Jimmy. "Coon and Friends" is the only recent episode I can think of where we see the boys in a small assembly of friends that doesn't include him - but he's in "W. T. F.", "Pee", "The China Probrem" not to mention he's one of the only classmates to continuously receive episodes to himself.

nwt000, believe me I'd love more Wendy probably more than anyone on this board besides you, but I don't see it happening. I don't think Trey or Matt really like her character.

NeuroHeart, Stan turned ten in "Whale Whores" back in Season 13, thus why they're at the Denver Seaquarium. Can't remember when/if it was said on-screen but the press release said it was his birthday.
South Park is a platform for Matt and Trey's social commentary and satire; there is no canon and these characters only serve as tools for self-expression. Don't get attached.
Hydroleaf

Postby Hydroleaf » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:39 am

Zazaban wrote:Anyway, I hope Stan gets focus over Randy this episode, though it looks worryingly like the other way around. Most 'Stan' episodes these days he gets sidelined by Randy. This is a good plot, pray Randy does not take over and leave it rushed and sketchy.

I was thinking this, too. I would hate it if Randy gets more airtime than Stan in the episode or gets an incredibly long gag that takes up too much episode time. That's part of the reason why I get worried when watching new episodes.
JerWu17

Postby JerWu17 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:41 am

Well, not everything written in the preview blurb necessarily end up in the episode at the end. The blurb represent what M&T and the crew are aiming for as of its release, but if they hit writer's block going that direction, they may settle on a significantly different alternative.

Like some of the posters commented, I really hope that this seemingly Stan-centered episode won't morph into Randy-centered episode by airtime a la "Creme Fraiche". That would be a letdown. I personally think South Park's uniqueness lies in its focus on kid characters like Cartman, Stan, Kyle, Butters, and Wendy. If SP get too focused on Randy and other adult characters, then the show would be no different from the Simpsons and the many clone shows it's spawn on Fox.

From the preview clip and blurb, it seems like the A-plot will be Stan trying to act mature to the chagrin of his friends, and the B-plot will be Randy trying to act childish and modern to get on board with Stan's interests. I'm really hoping that they will focus more on the A-plot and incorporate Stan's friendships with Kyle and Wendy in it, and less on the B-plot.

Favorite Characters: KYLE -- STAN -- WENDY -- BUTTERS
Favorite Character to hate: C A R T M A N !!!

Favorite Episode: THE LIST
Zazaban

Postby Zazaban » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:43 am

JVM wrote:
NeuroHeart, Stan turned ten in "Whale Whores" back in Season 13, thus why they're at the Denver Seaquarium. Can't remember when/if it was said on-screen but the press release said it was his birthday.

Conceivably, he could have turned nine. They never said how old he was then.

I was thinking this, too. I would hate it if Randy gets more airtime than Stan in the episode or gets an incredibly long gag that takes up too much episode time. That's part of the reason why I get worried when watching new episodes.

Every time he appears he gets an incredibly long gag – he's a DERP character, it's what they do. It'll probably be him farting into the mike for about 20-30 seconds, three or four times through the episode, as though it's the funniest thing all year.
skurtz wrote:
nwt000 wrote:Get your trolling ass out of here!

I'm more friendlier drinking some espresso.
NeuroHeart

Postby NeuroHeart » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:51 am

Zazaban wrote:
JVM wrote:

Yeah, that was a birthday thing! And I'll watch it again, but I think you are correct, Zazaban, it didn't say whether he was turning nine or ten. I would have to suppose nine, since he was eight through most of the series. Then again, it could have been he was turning ten, and now he's turning ten again, which makes sense in the context of him still being in fourth grade.
That's the one problem with a long-running show about kids; they're always the same age and in the same grade and having the same birthdays. They've been fourth graders for, what, ten years now?
To believe in something just because you're afraid of the consequences if you don't believe in something is no reason to believe in something.

Postby 203177 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:55 am

finally stan is turning ten! im really looking foward to this ep. hopefully its not all randy marsh. i want the boys and the others be in it too. when it says kyle and stan blow up it looks like another friend ship arrival episode. i haven't seen that in so long. i wonder if stan will listen to music that i like to listen to? this ep will prob get a 8 or a 9 even a 7
My favorite sp characters: Bridon(he's so cute!)
Kyle,Stan, Kenny/Mysterion.

Fave ep: ESM Season 12,Sec fave: Butterballs Season 16
MysteriousMysterion

Postby MysteriousMysterion » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:59 am

NeuroHeart wrote:
Zazaban wrote:
JVM wrote:

Yeah, that was a birthday thing! And I'll watch it again, but I think you are correct, Zazaban, it didn't say whether he was turning nine or ten. I would have to suppose nine, since he was eight through most of the series. Then again, it could have been he was turning ten, and now he's turning ten again, which makes sense in the context of him still being in fourth grade.
That's the one problem with a long-running show about kids; they're always the same age and in the same grade and having the same birthdays. They've been fourth graders for, what, ten years now?

But I think them all being ten ( As said in Crack baby Athletic association("You guys are TEN years old!") ) Is a signal of them moving up to the fifth grade, not neccisarily RIGHT NOW, but Im predicting within the next season or two we might get a 5th grade episode. because in 4th grade you go from 9-10, 5th is 10-11. So if Matt & Trey decided to spark some hope in the viewers, its like they are telling us " Yeppp, we are aging them, and Yepppp there will most likely be a 5th grade episode." Cause if they were to spark so much hope by having a quote in one episode, then another based around a 10th birthday, then they are just mean :( . So they kinda dug themselves in a hole if they arent going to do a 5th grade ep, cause everyone will be expecting it now.
zzyzx 1

Postby zzyzx 1 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:00 am

NeuroHeart wrote:They've been fourth graders for, what, ten years now?

Since episode 412: 4th Grade which first aired on 11-08-2000.

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”