*1507: You're Getting Old* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

Sgt.YatesMonkeyBalls

Re: *1507: You're Getting Old* Post-Air Discussion

Postby Sgt.YatesMonkeyBalls » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:10 am

I bet they're pulling a Best of Both Worlds. If they decide to sign on for 2 more seasons, things will be back to normal. If they don't...well, that's obvious. (Just like how Picard could have been killed off because Patrick Stewart's contract was in the air.)

I'm calling it now:
Season 15B will put things back together or conclude them once and for all (an episode for Randy & Sharon, Stan & Kyle & Cartman, Stan & Wendy getting back together or breaking up for good, Garrison being written off, another Mysterion episode as implied in the commentary-minis, etc.). This will either culminate in things continuing as usual, or ending the show forever. Whatever Trey and Matt decide.

Though I'm also betting that the series will end with another feature-length film.

EDIT: Also betting on a big time skip and a new intro. Possibly fifth grade, but the boys won't be taller or anything. The girls might--after all, this is the age where girls tend to outgrow boys.

And this is how 15A ranks for me (will remain judgment on "You're Getting Old" for now):
1. T.M.I.
2. Funnybot
3. Royal Pudding
4. City Sushi
5. Crack Baby Athletic Association
6. HUMANCENTiPAD

Overall, an improvement over 14B, but that's not really saying much, seeing as how there was the disgraceful College Humor ordeal, Coon 2 and Mysterion Rises are among my all-time least favorites, and Creme Fraiche is probably my least favorite Randy episode.
Last edited by Sgt.YatesMonkeyBalls on Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Characters Ranked by Speaking Appearances...y'know, if you care about useless, autistic trivia like that.

Favorite Characters: Randy, Yates, and Butters
Favorite Episode: Cartman's Incredible Gift
Favorite Pairing: Randy x Sharon
zzyzx 1

Postby zzyzx 1 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:13 am

Who else noticed the four boys were standing at the bus stop in Act I; when is the last time we saw the good 'ol bus stop in an episode? How many seasons has it been? 8)
Tom_SF

Postby Tom_SF » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:14 am

One more cheap sh*t episode. When you have to resort to farts and sh*t to be funny, it just doesn't work.
EhBuddeh

Postby EhBuddeh » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:15 am

Maybe Trey and Matt are not sure where they should go with this. Basically throwing the idea that Stan is out of the story to see what peoples thoughts are, and at the same time increase anticipation for the new episode in October. Simpsons just did something similar, where they ended the season with change. Only difference is that at the end of the Simpsons they told everybody to go to there website to vote on what they would prefer. Trey and Matt could just read this message board cause they obviously know they will get tons of feedback on what people want to happen.

Just a Thought.
JVM

Postby JVM » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:16 am

zzyzx 1 wrote:Who else noticed the four boys were standing at the bus stop in Act I; when is the last time we saw the good 'ol bus stop in an episode? How many seasons has it been? 8)

"The Coon" (#1302) is the last time I can say for absolute positive, but I swear it showed up once after that.
South Park is a platform for Matt and Trey's social commentary and satire; there is no canon and these characters only serve as tools for self-expression. Don't get attached.
Demyx_Myde

Postby Demyx_Myde » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:19 am

I like that I've replied to two topics and been completely ignored and my post probably denied.
erunno

Postby erunno » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:20 am

This was a good episode. Funny, dramatic, revealing, and reflecting.

The sh*t music was funny. Pretty much ALL music [in the episode] is sh*t, because of the added sound effects.

As were the movie previews.

Cartman opening gifts at Stan's party was just...douchebaggery to the max.

I think that the line (paraphrasing): "It seems you have cross-wired, and everything everyone does and says is sh*tty to you. Something we in the professional field call being a cynical assh*le" was the best line of the season thus far.

Then the reflection...the drama after Randy's "I'm not happy."
Sharon was referencing a few past episodes, and just calling Randy's behavior out, and well, sh*tty. Because maybe the show, every week, just comes out with the same sh*t each week. Where's the pleasure in that?
Sharon (Matt and Trey) is just getting tired of the same sh*t every week, and just....leaves with Stan, and Randy packs up.

Nothing is clear, however. How far did they move? Did they sell the house (I forget if they showed that part, I saw the sign put up). Where did Randy go? Is this really the end? There was no dialog, just a song.
Maybe they really did divorce. Do you think we will never see Randy again? In my opinion, I doubt it. Everyone in this show is a character of the show. Sure, some people get killed off or leave, but the Marsh family are very main characters. They aren't like Chef, Pip, etc. They are part of the main framework of the show.
M&T have done a lot with their characters from multiple sex changes, to Kenny's death, and so on. But nothing as huge as this could turn out to be.

My own speculations of 15B start:
1) They [the boys or doctors] find a cure for Stan's "cynical assh*le" syndrome, and he becomes friends with the gang, and possibly they get Randy to come back, or he just does on his own, and everything ends just fine.
2) They just, as Sharon says, come back each week starting over with the same sh*t again. That is, they pretend nothing happened.
3) Randy is gone, Sharon and Stan are in a different town, and South Park is just...different (which, to me, is just upsetting and terrible)

But, if anything, they have to address Stan's "cynical assh*le" syndrome (I just love saying that, hah) ... because he can't live his life seeing everyone as pieces of crap, throwing up crap, and even flowers and the Sun as crap. That is just a terrible fate.

If option 3 happens, I will be devestated, to say the least. Stan, Sharon and Randy are my favorite characters in the show. Always have been. And I don't want to see them leave.

Hey...stanluv, and everyone else. We finally got our Stan episode for this half of the season. And look what happened.
rabekid1

Postby rabekid1 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:24 am

I haven't felt this mindfucked since the end of Lost.
Demyx_Myde

Postby Demyx_Myde » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:26 am

Just gonna keep sending in my attempt to get word in edgewise in this conversation until a mod puts up one of my posts, cause the fact that some people are getting 2 and 3 posts in in the time it takes for me to get 1, or rather in my case I haven't gotten a single one, is ridiculous. It's almost like because I'm new they don't give a sh*t.

So as I was trying to say, I liked it. The last several have been crap. T&M are moving on, be happy for them and I honestly can't remember my exact wording on the whole season 17 rumor because I tried to post it almost an hour ago.
erunno

Postby erunno » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:28 am

I wonder if, this being "Year of the Fan" we will have a slight edge on how this unveils. They did, somewhere don't remember where, say that something big was coming with it (maybe it was just about the 15 favorite episodes thing). Or maybe they'll have a poll/forum about Stan's fate.
Demyx_Myde

Postby Demyx_Myde » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:30 am

Just gonna keep sending in my attempt to get word in edgewise in this conversation until a mod puts up one of my posts, cause the fact that some people are getting 2 and 3 posts in in the time it takes for me to get 1, or rather in my case I haven't gotten a single one, is ridiculous. It's almost like because I'm new they don't give a sh*t.

So as I was trying to say, I liked it. The last several have been crap. T&M are moving on, be happy for them and I honestly can't remember my exact wording on the whole season 17 rumor because I tried to post it almost an hour ago.
crecentmoon2

Postby crecentmoon2 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:30 am

My world just got flip turned upside down.
Demyx_Myde

Postby Demyx_Myde » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:33 am

Hydroleaf

Postby Hydroleaf » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:35 am

erunno wrote:I wonder if, this being "Year of the Fan" we will have a slight edge on how this unveils. They did, somewhere don't remember where, say that something big was coming with it (maybe it was just about the 15 favorite episodes thing). Or maybe they'll have a poll/forum about Stan's fate.

Doubt it, but that would be interesting...
neocarleen

Postby neocarleen » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:36 am

evoxpisces wrote:It's been an hour since the episode ended and I still can't seem to process it. I have no idea why they ended it the way they did. BUT I see a lot of negativity in this thread about how people think Stan is written off or that Trey is leaving and I can say with confidence neither is true. They would never write off a character as important as Stan. Also, Trey is more like 75% of the show, as Matt really only does voices nowadays, mostly every episode is written by Trey (or at least that's how the episodes are credited). I read somewhere South Park has been renewed to 17 seasons now (don't quote me), so the show is not ending, especially not mid-season.

All in all, I'm not worried one bit. M&T know what they are doing. They have made this show spectacular for nearly 15 years, they wouldn't let it just fizzle out this way. I know when the series does inevitably end it will go out with a huge bang! Until then, let's enjoy it. I'm staying positive, and you should too! Maybe they just wanted to shake things up a bit. Does everything in South Park ever have a logical explanation? Why did they kill Kenny off in Season 6? No clue. Maybe just to switch things up. With that said, Season 6 was one of the best seasons in SP history IMO. Stan is not going anywhere and neither is any main cast member nor Matt nor Trey. Let's just wait for the second half of season 15. I'm sure our questions will be answered then!

Anyway, I think I can rate this episode now after I let it soak in. I'm giving it a 7/10. It was a so-so episode, aside from the fact that it provided sheer shock value and shook things up a bit. It was mildly funny but I think is one episode that will stick out amongst the rest because of fans' reactions. Now only 5 more months til season 15.5!

I think I've calmed down enough. You're totally right, of course, but this is a huge event. Not a series ending event, but serious enough to change the tone of the show.

I do trust Trey Parker and his judgement, and I'm over my initial shock. Now I'm looking forward to finding out what he has planned for the rest of the season. This isn't devastating, this is exciting!

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”