*1507: You're Getting Old* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

zzyzx 1

Re: *1507: You're Getting Old* Post-Air Discussion

Postby zzyzx 1 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:54 am

Unassumption wrote:am i the only one who noticed the movie trailers?

No, I saw that too. Genius! Those trailers ARE shιt :)
Hydroleaf

Postby Hydroleaf » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:03 am

I should probably get ready to go to bed (might not...) By now, I'm not as sad, but I'm still a little hurt and nervous. Whether the end of South Park is extremely close or distant, but definitely drawing close, South Park is still going to inevitably end. Kinda hard to realize nothing gold can stay... :( I just hope they will go to 17th season and that Stan stays with the cast as well as his family.

Also, I wanted to mention about Kyle and Cartman: even if they hang out with each other more when Stan's gone, isn't Cartman still an inconsiderate butthole? I can see Cartman coming up with a crazy scheme to kill/steal from/humiliate/manipulate someone and Kyle realizes who he's becoming friends with.
Mavie

Postby Mavie » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:05 am

The ending was so captivating that everyone forgot the most groundbreaking part of the episode. That was possibly the first time that a close up shot of sh*t flowing out of an animated dog's assh*le has aired on television!
Hydroleaf

Postby Hydroleaf » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:11 am

Mavie wrote:The ending was so captivating that everyone forgot the most groundbreaking part of the episode. That was possibly the first time that a close up shot of sh*t flowing out of an animated dog's assh*le has aired on television!

:lol: I totally forgot THAT part... I didn't even actually see it because I blocked my eyes out of disgust. I'm such a wimp... I covered my eyes when Kyle was spewing crap out! Both parts were a little too much for me...
JVM

Postby JVM » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:34 am

I have two issues I want to discuss now.

First off, a lot of people are overlooking half the episode's message. So many see that Matt and Trey want to finish off the show, but there are many missing the other message - the one about cynicism. The people who think this episode is sh*tty - this is about you, folks. This is about all of you people who keep insisting EVERY new episode is sh*tty.

And there's a lot of those people on this board, who just look at new episodes and just say they're sh*tty without really thinking about them or trying to argue points, acting like they're stating a fact. And that's exactly what this is about.

Second, a lot of people keep saying "They can't get rid of Stan" but re-iterate "Well Kenny, doesn't do much." That's very easy to say in retrospect ten years later, but at the time of Kenny's death he was still a main character who generally did play a role in every episode. This wasn't like now where Craig, Clyde, and buddies tend to sneak their way into every episode and Butters is a main character.

Kenny's permanent death WAS a big deal at the time, even if these days it wouldn't be. But people overlook that because of his behavior since his return rather than at the time.
poopydoopy

Postby poopydoopy » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:39 am

I hate how negative everyone is being.... the show was signed for another couple seasons if you read the faqs page..... so CHILL
JerWu17

Postby JerWu17 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:48 am

I turned off the TV once the sh*t started hitting the fan with the plot. From a brief glimpse at everyone’s response posts, I am glad I did so.

This episode potentially marks a major turning point in the SP series, most likely the biggest one yet. This is what I think how the series will go down from this point (I apologize in advance if all this is just a rehash of what was already said by others):

-----

As the name of this episode seems to suggest, the South Park show is getting old in Matt & Trey’s minds. They are conveying through the Stan character that whether it is the childish jokes (tween music), sophisticated humor (Bob Dylan music), or any other facet of the show, producing South Park just does not appeal to them anymore. They are ready to leave it behind and move on to other projects that will garner praise instead of the constant griping from fans like many episodes are getting now.

I think that the contract talks this summer can still go either way (and I hope M&T do too), but for the first time, Matt & Trey seem pessimistic that the talks will be successful. Thus, they are using this episode to convey their mindset and help prepare us fans for the conclusion of South Park should it happen in the fall run.

Of course, if Matt & Trey choose to continue South Park beyond Season 15, I think that this episode will be resolved in the fall run opener. However, if they do choose to conclude South Park, I think that this episode will mark the beginning of a long story arc that will take the entire fall run of Season 15 to complete. Judging by how bizarre this episode already is, I think that this story arc will turn South Park’s fabric upside-down and inside-out before reaching a dramatic back-to-normal ending that will provide a true closure for the characters and the series.

If this story arc is to happen, I think Matt & Trey will use it to bring a resolution to Cartman, Stan, Kyle, and other major supporting characters (their parents, Butters, Wendy, Ike, etc.) whose characters have not been resolved yet. The Mr. Garrison, Kenny, and Tuong Lu Kim characters have already been resolved in past episodes so I do not expect them to play major roles in the story arc. A story arc like this can seem exciting, but also scary because of its unpredictability and sad because it will mark the beginning of the end. Whatever they choose to do, I just hope that there will be a happy ending for my favorite characters.

Whatever may happen come this fall run, I will wait until then to finish watching this episode. Otherwise the suspense it generates will drive me nuts over the mid-season break.

-----

I am sad to see South Park come to a close and see Stan, Kyle, and Wendy go in particular. I should not miss them since they are just imaginary construction-paper-like characters. But as Kyle said at the end of Imaginationland, though they may all be imaginary, but they are real to all of us through their positive impacts in our lives and the emotional connections we have to their fictitious-yet-rich personalities. Of the many messages Matt & Trey conveyed through South Park over the years, that one IMO is the most meaningful of them all.

Favorite Characters: KYLE -- STAN -- WENDY -- BUTTERS
Favorite Character to hate: C A R T M A N !!!

Favorite Episode: THE LIST
Lubo32

Postby Lubo32 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:53 am

Damn, I am pretty pissed right now. So what, Matt and Trey decide they are too god damn old and South Park isn't for them anymore. I worship these guys and that's a f'n knife in the back. If this is infact the last season then damn it, make it the f'n best. I have been watching SP for 3 years watching all the episodes like 5 times and I never get bored from them. I think that the last 3 seasons were really good but there are some people that complain all the time... This is South Park for f'n sake... Just enjoy the show. I really hope that this is another joke that Matt and Trey are trying to pull on us.
Steamy Ray

Postby Steamy Ray » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:54 am

I think JVM makes some excellent points, however I do believe that Matt and Trey are over this show. Book of Mormon is doing really well and their constant procrastination in making these episodes is indicative of someone who's lost interest in something. I would hate being on their production team with all the insane last minute all-nighters to meet delivery. I usually find that since season 12 most of the episodes seem old or "sh*tty" on first viewing; they definitely grow on you after multiple viewings, but I do feel that they are running out of passion and ideas for the series. It is my favorite show of all time, but I know it must come to an end. I think they are going to systematically turn all the main kids ten and have them all move on until no one is left by 15-14.
MrChance7

Postby MrChance7 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:57 am

I'll tell you what buddies, that was very uncool and sad... but everything must come to and end and I'm glad they are gonna kill Southpark before they over do it and it kills itself.

7 more episodes, bracing for epic. eh?
DVMonkey

Postby DVMonkey » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:13 am

Matt and Trey,
If this is your way of saying you're getting old, that the same jokes and context don't work for you anymore, that this work is changing and making you unhappy and that you want to move on

then I grant you the divorce you are asking for.

For years your work has given me little germs of laughter and happiness in good times and bad, welcome windows of insight and by itself its done miracles to keep my heart young.

Thank you for staying with it as long as you have. But if you need to go, I understand and from this fan: you're free.
Best,
D
pan4obas

Postby pan4obas » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:19 am

Eepisode is freakin epic! SP rulez!
like it very much :D
wildfan12001

Postby wildfan12001 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:21 am

Just remember if Chapelle can quit even though he had a contract with comedy central Trey and Matt could too.= and just not get paid.
FreeQuebec86

Postby FreeQuebec86 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:58 am

JVM wrote:I have two issues I want to discuss now.

First off, a lot of people are overlooking half the episode's message. So many see that Matt and Trey want to finish off the show, but there are many missing the other message - the one about cynicism. The people who think this episode is sh*tty - this is about you, folks. This is about all of you people who keep insisting EVERY new episode is sh*tty.

And there's a lot of those people on this board, who just look at new episodes and just say they're sh*tty without really thinking about them or trying to argue points, acting like they're stating a fact. And that's exactly what this is about.

Second, a lot of people keep saying "They can't get rid of Stan" but re-iterate "Well Kenny, doesn't do much." That's very easy to say in retrospect ten years later, but at the time of Kenny's death he was still a main character who generally did play a role in every episode. This wasn't like now where Craig, Clyde, and buddies tend to sneak their way into every episode and Butters is a main character.

Kenny's permanent death WAS a big deal at the time, even if these days it wouldn't be. But people overlook that because of his behavior since his return rather than at the time.

All really true... but still look scary.

But YEAH people are more cynical in EVERYWAY. Even in video games, past E3 everybody go : Damn it was sh*tty.

Even in french forum people goes "it sh*tty" style ! Wtf with the woorld ?

And if they continu, having Stan out will make out a new dynamic. But i though their parents broke up, and he would still live in South park ( and just be the cynical douche bag of the school ).

I just want them to continue :( I never found them sh*tty and they are a inspiration to me !!! ( I just enter a humourist school in Quebec, Montreal :D ( yeah we got a school for comedian xD )

Dont give up !!!!!!!!!
CurseOfTheChozo

Postby CurseOfTheChozo » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:01 am

For me, the impact was, personally, primarily situational - In recent years I've found myself often in Stan's boat, finding fault in many of what I perceive to be the contrivances of modern popular culture. I DO listen to current pop music and wonder why it sounds like sh*t. I DID play LA Noire, and while I found it to have many good qualities, I inevitably felt let down by the weak execution of its lofty ideas. I DO watch most movie trailers expecting to roll my eyes at the vapidity and transparent commercialization being dumped upon the audience.

I think what upset me most was MYSELF. Because I AM slightly cynical. I HAVE lost some of the childish spark that normally would have been floored by a game like LA Noire, or who would have awaited the next Adam Sandler movie with bated breath. I still maintain that "Billy Madison" and "Happy Gilmore" are hilarious, but I don't know if that's because those movies were released while I was still at the impressionable age necessary to be at to be excited by the idea of Adam Sandler going back to elementary school or being a hockey player-cum-golfer. And that maybe that childhood excitement just transposed itself onto my adult self. I've come to think of myself as a student of comedy, and yet, tonight's episode made me feel uncomfortable and pretentious at the thought that I would ever actually consider myself a "student of comedy" as opposed to a kid who just liked to laugh at silly sh*t.

The conceit seemed to be, "Well, we've done sh*t jokes for 15 years - how long can this really maintain its humor and impact before it starts to become, well, sh*tty?" I personally don't think the show has lost too much of its impact, but there's two completely different (yet somewhat related) possible reasons for this:

1. The show has managed to grow with its audience. South Park has always taken on the guise of a raunchy cartoon, but as years have gone on, it's become scarily observant, sometimes bordering on prescient in its deconstruction of politics and social issues and pop culture. Conversely, it has also been willing to take more risks with the 'raunchy' format, allowing for fanciful and often raunch-free flights of fancy like the "Imaginationland" or "The Coon" trilogies. By allowing the show to adapt to themselves as THEY grow, Parker and Stone have significantly improved its longevity and relevance in a world where even shows like "The Simpsons" have lost much of their original importance in the pop culture zeitgeist.

2. The simpler, and possibly more accurate reason for this, is that I grew up with the show. Plain and simple. The show premiered 14 years ago when I was only 13. And as I grew, so too did the show (read: above). Maybe if I were an adult when the show premiered, I would have seen its "growth" over the years as an awkward and desperate attempt to be insightful and/or meaningful. But I wasn't. As I grew, the show literally grew with me, helping to form and inform my worldview and comedic sensibilities.

And reason #2 kinda leads back to why this episode upset me (in a good way): It reminded me of the finite amount of time we have. Not in life as a whole (as I have always been aware of that), but in particular 'sections' of our own personal lives. I too grew apart from many of my childhood friends and interests going into teenhood. I grew apart from many of my teenhood friends and interests going into young adulthood. And I find myself now, like the show, in a transitional phase - where the once seemingly mundane concepts of a "career" and "settling down" and "starting a family" are no longer just concepts - they're real things that I actively desire. And while I won't delude myself into thinking that I'm in the emotional or psychological headspace for those RIGHT NOW, I AM finding myself looking forward to the day when I will be. And the innocent young child and the rebellious little teen sh*thead and the skeptical, sometimes cynical young adult that I have been are having, if not a hard time, then a WEIRD time trying to reconcile who I was then with who I am now years later and who I eventually want to and will become.

And, really, maybe the real problem is that I can't just say "That was damn fine episode of South Park." Maybe the problem (and the point they were maybe kinda hinting at) is that people like me would watch it and then write a obnoxious and verbose treatise like this on why the episode so very much warped their fragile little mind.

In any case, well done.
O rly?

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”