*1507: You're Getting Old* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

Brendle

Re: *1507: You're Getting Old* Post-Air Discussion

Postby Brendle » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:10 am

JVM wrote:I have two issues I want to discuss now.

First off, a lot of people are overlooking half the episode's message. So many see that Matt and Trey want to finish off the show, but there are many missing the other message - the one about cynicism. The people who think this episode is sh*tty - this is about you, folks. This is about all of you people who keep insisting EVERY new episode is sh*tty.

I disagree that it was about cynical fans who criticize their work.

This episode is about Matt and Trey realizing that they're old now and they no longer care about writing funny jokes for a cartoon. They care about other things.

It's also about realizing that they're simply too negative/pessimistic to be writing the show anymore. All they really seem to do is point at things and say "that show sucks" and "this actor sucks" without any humor (though I'll be fair...the last two episodes have been brilliant, and I like T.M.I...it's been a decent season so far).

This was Trey Parker being a man and admitting to the show's flaws.
My name is Brendle, and I think Trey Parker is a genius.
isis485

Postby isis485 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:24 am

i am so sad!!!
RianaLD

Postby RianaLD » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:26 am

Can't believe I read this whole thread.

I liked this episode. It's amazing when a cartoon with "crappy" animation can pull my heart strings.

And chill out you guys. They're up to something...
nickb117

Postby nickb117 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:26 am

Ahh, its a bigger damn cliffhanger than halo 2
UhhIDontKnow

Postby UhhIDontKnow » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:33 am

Brendle wrote:This episode is about Matt and Trey realizing that they're old now and they no longer care about writing funny jokes for a cartoon. They care about other things.

It's also about realizing that they're simply too negative/pessimistic to be writing the show anymore. All they really seem to do is point at things and say "that show sucks" and "this actor sucks" without any humor (though I'll be fair...the last two episodes have been brilliant, and I like T.M.I...it's been a decent season so far).

This was Trey Parker being a man and admitting to the show's flaws.

If that were the case they would not be signed on for two more seasons. I think both would tell you the show is not perfect but I don't see signs from this episode that things are ending. If anything they did a different type of episode to not be so sh*tty themselves.

Sharon and Randy have separated and gotten back together again (clubhouses ARE magical). So nothing is over in that regard. Stan has been just as outcast before (Raisins as a goth kid) and managed to snap out of it, so nothing is over in that regard either. Wonder if Roy will come back, if so Stan's going to be gathering firewood again.

The episode is about aging and change and how our perceptions of different things change as we get older. I don't see the show coming to an end before at least the end of season 17. The only question is will they set the world of South Park back to the way it was, or will the Marsh family never be the same? Maybe the message was that M+T were feeling things with the show needed a change, a new landscape, and they just brought in the bulldozers and changed it in about 22 minutes.

And that is an S-Woww brain-bang. This was a great episode, thanks for another one and please keep them coming!! Next one will be the most anticipated since we found out who Mysterion was and who Cartman's father was - but I think this trumps them both, and I think it's great a show in its 15th season can pull that off.
Last edited by UhhIDontKnow on Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
LilPimp021

Postby LilPimp021 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:33 am

HOLY sh*t did they just f*cking kill off Stan???????
YOU BASTARDS
brankodz

Postby brankodz » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:42 am

What the hell!? Am I the only one who saw Stan and his parents MOVING AWAY!? I haven't seen one comment on that. Are you ok guys? Or I was watching another show or somthing... Nope, I wasn't.
Randy for president!

Postby Randy for president! » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:44 am

Anyone seen the alien?

Great new twist in the south park stories.
Mid-season break has made up for the weak season start that was not understood so well in Europe. Im happy.
Pooki

Postby Pooki » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:49 am

I can't help but be in denial, as much as I know what this episode meant. This show was my childhood. This show and I have gone far together, and I am now 20 and depressed that such a great show has a good chance of ending soon. I'll admit that I am very selfish and never want Matt and Trey to end this show, but am mature to admit that my selfish wishes more than likely will not come true, sadly. Part of me is so angry, sad, yet, I am happy they're giving us a heads up.. but why did they have to do it in such a painful way? Seeing Stan and Kyle go their separate ways was just knocked the wind out of me/stabbed my gut/made me choke up/whatever hurtful reaction you can think of. All I have left to say is bravo, what a great ride this has been, and... please end it with a bang, whenever that may be. From one of your many, MANY loyal fans. I'll be sticking around.
ctxppc

Re:

Postby ctxppc » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:54 am

Randy for president! wrote:Anyone seen the alien?

Great new twist in the south park stories.
Mid-season break has made up for the weak season start that was not understood so well in Europe. Im happy.

What do you exactly mean with "not so well understood in Europe"? Germany != Europe! :cartmanangry:
zzyzx 1

Postby zzyzx 1 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:55 am

RianaLD wrote:Can't believe I read this whole thread.

Why? That's the only way to know what happened in the thread. I can't believe that I read this whole thread from the beginning AS IT WAS BEING WRITTEN :o

Randy for president! wrote:Anyone seen the alien?

No :!:

I will look again the next time I watch the episode. M&T must have had an alien in this one; it's the perfect episode to put an alien in, tying up loose ends and all :)

One other thing: I liked the line of the "Tween Years" being that time between the calendar years of 2009-2013 :P If SP is renewed through season 17, it will end in 2013. And I never would have used the term "Tween Years" out of the box to mean anything other than those years of 9-13 of human development. Using that term for something else: the calendar :D

Genius.
Hawkin

Postby Hawkin » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:08 am

Oh my. This has been a ‘call it in season so far’. ‘Your getting old’ is a formulaic as “The Poo who took a Pee” by Butters….

I know Matt and Trey are busy with Broadway, but dudes dance with what brought ya. There is so much material going unaddressed. I mean for pete sake a Congressman from New York … pictures of his …with a similar name…hello…yet nothing….

‘Glee’ is as pompous as it is pathetic and yet untouched by South Park.
There’re Angry Birds, FOX News, MSNBC, ABC CBS NBC to mock and we get people pooping ….

South Park has made you guys rich beyond reason. You have a voice and wit that reaches millions weekly. Broadway reaches just a few thousands at best. If you are looking to buy legitimacy, you already have it among your MILLIONS of South Park fans.

Are you still mad about the Comedy Central censorship?

Do you really want to be Liza Minnelli or George M. Cohan retreads?

Broadway will never love you like the South Park fans do dudes…

You still got at least two seasons. Make them the best ever….

100 years from now, people will study what you guys did with South Park; not what you did on Broadway…
whatisnewmedia

Postby whatisnewmedia » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:20 am

Bravo M&T!

This episode had everything I love in a South Park episode, i.e. Cartman being an egomaniac assh*le, Randy being immature, and incisive commentaries on the media, society, and psychology. Then Act III blew me away with a heavy, creative, but very real ending. Great scoring all the way through, particularly when Stan is listening to his iPod in bed, the Doctor plays Dylan, and Landslide plays over the final montage.

Can't wait to see where they take the show from here. I am expecting them to completely revamp the format of the show, which would be brilliant.

Cheers!
DarthYankee

Postby DarthYankee » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:21 am

So it turns out that this whole time, it might be that Cartman only acted like an assh*le to Kyle in an attempt to get approval from Stan and he actually has no issue with Kyle whatsoever.

I'm OK with this.
BearGrylls

Postby BearGrylls » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:27 am

Did anyone else notice that the Sticky in the General Discussion part about M&T signing and new contract was "Un-Stickified"????? :cry:

FML! :evil:

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”