*1507: You're Getting Old* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

prometheusunbound

Re: *1507: You're Getting Old* Post-Air Discussion

Postby prometheusunbound » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:00 pm

I was hoping TP+MS would put South Park to bed. It is one of the best shows on television, but it had a long run.

I did not want to see South Park go down The Simpsons route which started to lose its humor around season 12.

I think TP+MS finally succeeded in finding another vehicle to show off their talents.

South Park was a great show. I am glad that we can remember it as such, instead of it turning into a steaming pile of sh*t that gets more and more pointless.

Cheers to all those who work at South Park. Thanks to TP+MS for 15 great seasons. Just let us keep watching episodes on the website - please...
bhazzy34

Postby bhazzy34 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:15 pm

I remember as a 5th grader having to sneak into the basement, dodging my parents room, every Wednesday night to catch the newest episode of South Park. My parents were so against South Park that if they ever found me, well, I'd be grounded, mister! So it's easy to say I grew up with South Park. I watch a new episode every night as I fall asleep, and as the episodes have slowly declined (with a few flashes in the pan) these past 3 years as I have been in college, I still stop whatever I am doing to watch the new episode that Wednesday night out of respect to all the joy, happiness, different point of views, and laughter the show has brought me throughout my life.

Matt and Trey, you have changed my life one episode at a time and whatever you decide to do from here on out, I support you. Whether is was the pilot episode with Frosty, any aired South Park episode, Team America, The Book of Mormon...I have seen it all...each project you did affected me one way or another, and I understand your message in this latest episode: you're getting too old for this. too tired for this. you feel like it's the same sh*t over and over again. And, reflecting upon the episode in the past 48 hours, I too feel like it's the same sh*t over and over again...but isn't life like that? You base your show off of real life, and satirize it. But life is cyclical: the same sh*t happens all the time; big news today was big news 10 years ago and you already poked fun at the idea. You can't do this forever because people and their actions/reactions don't change.

I'm going to be a senior in college this upcoming fall. If these are your last 7 episodes, I think it is a perfect ending for me: it started the summer going into 2nd grade and ended as I finish up my schooling. It's funny, because as I think about it, South Park has been the only thing that has remained in my life these past 14+ years other than family. I couldn't even tell you who my friends in the 2nd grade were. I've gone through 6 girlfriends and currently on the 7th. I no longer have an N64, but now an XBox 360. I don't have sleep overs with my friends where we play with action figures, I go out to bars and drink way too much then pass out wherever my inebriated self seems fit. Simply put, South Park has been my constant throughout my academic career. The only thing I didn't grow up from. I'm sad to see it go. I will miss it, but if you believe it's time, then I understand and fully support you (but keep doing things that I can watch!). One day I fully intend on bringing my son/daughter into my man cave (oh yeah, I'm absolutely having one) and sitting them down and having them watch every. single. episode. And you know what? I KNOW they'll love it, even if they don't understand the references of the 2000's.

Now, all that being said, I plead with you that you finish off these last 7 episodes strong. It's the final minutes of the 4th quarter. Find your last bit of strength to finish the job the way you will feel comfortable with the rest of your life.
mozi18slk

next episode

Postby mozi18slk » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:34 pm

i think this episode is two parter beacause the end is bad
canadasucks

I would get on my knees and suck Matt and Trey's balls...

Postby canadasucks » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:43 pm

My mom said that South Park is going to do one more season!!
p0204689

Postby p0204689 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:54 pm

I Love the part at the bus stop when Cartman is getting all into the music and Stan Is like, IT SOUNDS LIKE SOMEONE IS sh*tting IN MY EARS
ctxppc

Postby ctxppc » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:23 pm

I'm sure it's coincidental that this episode aired just during my finals — and still pending through the 23rd. I can't study well anymore.

I try to ignore the ending. I finally re-watched the episode for the fifth time to face the "facts" — something I learned from… South Park. It worked: the funny first 15 minutes are stronger than the remaining 5 minutes. And I also realized that the "Landslide" song has the strongest effect.

I also have a word for the haters here: if you don't like South Park, then get out you unpatriotic bastards. Every fanboy treats his commitment as his own love. Fandom defends itself. It's just like being an Apple fanboy. Even though there are thousands of alternatives for MobileMe, I chose to pay $99 a year for it. And it's slow as hell, but I don't care. (Thank god upcoming and much better iCloud is free! My subscription nearly ended and I hadn't saved enough money.) I'm a South Park fan and I never saw a bad episode. It only got better, every f*cking time.

Anyway, I hope the next episode satirizes South Park. :P
Last edited by ctxppc on Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Veggamattic

Postby Veggamattic » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:41 pm

I just had a conversation about this exact concept with one of my staff on Tuesday.

I found watching this episode very cathartic. I am just pissed off that there is so much confusion and mystery involved.

I thought Season 13 was one of if the best season ever and 14 was okay but so far I have not enjoyed this season nearly as much. Maybe the show has run it's coarse. :(
MentalNote100

Postby MentalNote100 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:42 pm

Good episode, had me laughing. :lol:
breakingmyballs

Postby breakingmyballs » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:42 pm

Doesn't this seem like a finale for the entire show? It would be fitting that they wouldn't announce it or promote it. This just seems like the last South Park episode we'll ever see. I love the show, but that would be a great way to end it...
ctxppc

Re:

Postby ctxppc » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:46 pm

breakingmyballs wrote:Doesn't this seem like a finale for the entire show? It would be fitting that they wouldn't announce it or promote it. This just seems like the last South Park episode we'll ever see. I love the show, but that would be a great way to end it...

Maybe you missed, I'm not sure, but this reason is exactly why this thread is f*cking 40 pages long and still growing.
furrybutch

Re: I would get on my knees and suck Matt and Trey's balls..

Postby furrybutch » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:02 pm

canadasucks wrote:My mom said that South Park is going to do one more season!!

Wow dude,if your mom said that there's no doubt in hell.They're making another season.Heck,they might even sell the rights of the show to Fox.
Who wants a super delish candy with a superextracalifragilistic rapeinduhass?
KleinBottle

Postby KleinBottle » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:03 pm

The britches subplot seems so absurd, even for SP standards, so I was wondering if the britches are SP. The old guys are Matt and Trey trying to save the show, but are thwarted by Comedy Central (the cops), taking the show away and telling them too often what they can and cannot do (e.g. 200, 201). Poor britches.
KleinBottle

Re: WHOA

Postby KleinBottle » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:09 pm

Utarefson wrote:thats the best episode i ever watch i <3 south park and smashing pumkins xD

Smashing Pumpkins? I can only assume you refer to them because of the song "Landslide." You do know that the Smashing Pumpkins version is a cover, and the song had been around since Stevie Nicks sang it with Fleetwood Mac 20 years before Billy Corgan sang it, right? And the version used in the episode is the original, from 1975, so you know it has absolutely nothing to do with Smashing Pumpkins, right?
A Guy

Postby A Guy » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:38 pm

KleinBottle wrote:The britches subplot seems so absurd, even for SP standards, so I was wondering if the britches are SP. The old guys are Matt and Trey trying to save the show, but are thwarted by Comedy Central (the cops), taking the show away and telling them too often what they can and cannot do (e.g. 200, 201). Poor britches.

I believe so. T and M, represented by the two older gentlemen, have grown distant, and aware of the gap that exists between themselves, and the emerging generation. They look on, in a quiet, non judgmental manner, as their own episode (Randy sh*tting on the britches) plays out, in all of its all too common ridiculousness. Sharon is outraged at this and cries out that this has happened over and over, until both parties, Randy (the show/T and M) and Sharon (the fans) declare their unhappiness with what has transpired in the recent formulaic pattern which has become persistent and unyielding. The two agree that is time to move on, as they have simply grown apart. Stan and Kyle is what disturbs me. Since its inception, Kyle has represented Matt, and Stan has represented Trey. I think the dynamic between these two character in this closing sequence represents or at least alludes to a growing divide between the creators. Kyle is unwilling to subscribe to the negative cynicism that has overtaken Stan, and the two fail to resolve their issues. I am scared that this means that Trey is unwilling to satirize such bland aspects of pop-culture that he accuses Matt of complacently doing. The britches represent the hundreds of episodes M and T have poured their souls into creating. As Sharon and Randy squabble, the two older gentlemen race in to save them. This plays no humorous role in the show, which leads me to believe T and M meant this ending to be completely earnest (and not some parody of sentimentality), as does the fact that the Stevie Nicks song plays as its original recording, and not some satirized version. As the line sings; "Ive been afraid of change, because Ive built my life around you" we see the britches (episodes) get stripped away by the police (CC/viacom/possibly the public?) as the two older gentlemen (T and M) fight helplessly. (I think this is the single saddest moment that Ive ever witnessed in fictional television history) "Im getting bolder, even children get older" as we see Kyle and Cartman becoming friends, showing us that the show must evolve, it is time to move on. We close on Stan, left alone with his cynisim, in his room. This to me means that Trey is stating his tiredness and unwillingness to watch the show continue to deteriorate, as he does not have it in him to continue. I suspect T will be taking a backseat in the future 7 eps, but remember who these two guys are. Wait until the last day and crank out a masterpiece is how they generally work, so I suspect they themselves havent made up their minds about the future of this little town. This is simply a declaration that T and M, (T especially) have grown tired of striving to meet the ambiguous, and sometimes hypocritical standards of the fans, and an admittance that they having been putting the passion they once did into its' creation.
baldrick_

Postby baldrick_ » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:06 pm

southpark is swik

and i like that cartman and kyle are becoming really good friends

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”