*1507: You're Getting Old* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

shazzaTPM

Re: *1507: You're Getting Old* Post-Air Discussion

Postby shazzaTPM » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:54 am

psychicpebble wrote:Matt and Trey have over 200 hours left of air time to wrap up the show, and possibly (hopefully) end it with a big bang as a movie.

22 * 7 = 154
154 mins =/= over 200 hours.

200 hours is like over 500 episodes. :P
KennyMcAmazing

Postby KennyMcAmazing » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:58 am

I think that we're being f*cked with =P Honestly, the dialogue between Randy and Sharon was SO obvious and acted out SO obviously and over-dramatically, that it can't be true. I thin we're being set up and then at the end of the season it's going to be announced as renewed. But this was so blatantly obvious that I don't think it can be taken as a legitimate sign that the show is ending - MnT wouldn't really do that, it doesn't seem to be their style. They're screwing with us =P
I LOVE KENNY! Second favorite characters: Kyle and Butters
girlthatkills

Postby girlthatkills » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:04 am

Wtf! It was a good episode... but the ending sucks.
dusty506

Postby dusty506 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:20 am

Ok ive been trying to avoid posting but you guys are pissing me off... nobody knows if its going to end or not yet... and you guys saying its been sh*t lately... thats why they made this episode because of people complaining like you...if you dont like it anymore dont watch it you arent forced too... :cartmansopissedrightnow:
Utarefson

WHOA

Postby Utarefson » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:23 am

thats the best episode i ever watch i <3 south park and smashing pumkins xD
Crazy Elvis

Postby Crazy Elvis » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:30 am

seriously WTF man, wat the hell happened to stan, thats a bitch move dude he better not have been written of because hes been there since the beginning
onyx_riddle

Postby onyx_riddle » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:35 am

M&T are capable of a lot. The recent interviews coupled with the Randy/Sharron dialog is... startling.
But, whatever happens, I'm proud to have been here from the beginning. I remember seeing the preview on Comedy Central and turning it down when it came on so my mom couldn't hear. I've been hooked ever since. I'm 23 now and I've seen every episode several times.

If they truly have tired of making the series, that is tragic. But I would prefer that they do whatever they think is best. In the interview people keep quoting, it was said that South Park is bigger than either of them. And I'm glad to hear that because it's what I've been thinking for years. These two guys created my favorite show 15 years ago. And its still my favorite. And it is HUGE. It will eventually have to end. Thank God I got to see it all.

I have noticed, though, that in growing up, you have to learn to let go. Our parents had to let go of things just as we do. South Park has given us such a wonderful collection of video to share with the next generation.

Godspeed , Matt and Trey
John_117

Postby John_117 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:40 am

KennyMcAmazing wrote:I think that we're being f*cked with =P Honestly, the dialogue between Randy and Sharon was SO obvious and acted out SO obviously and over-dramatically, that it can't be true. I thin we're being set up and then at the end of the season it's going to be announced as renewed. But this was so blatantly obvious that I don't think it can be taken as a legitimate sign that the show is ending - MnT wouldn't really do that, it doesn't seem to be their style. They're screwing with us =P

I think you're right. They wouldn't back out now, not if the money they're making is on an exponential growth. It wouldn't make sense.
Spence*

Postby Spence* » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:42 am

shazzaTPM wrote:TL;DR: Lost their muse.

Wow. Just wow. It has taken me a couple of hours to compose my thoughts, but after a jog to clear my head I can now put down what I want to say. Now, before I begin, a preface: I am all too aware of the subjectiveness of reading too much into things; we all do it. But, that’s half the fun. It’s a combination of logic and imagination. But when one takes themselves too seriously, adamant that how they interpreted it is the only correct way, that is when it goes too far. Matt and Trey when creating this episode had no doubt that meticulous people such as myself would read far too into it.

The basics have been outlined in this topic again and again: Matt and Trey are growing tired of South Park. This has been prevalent throughout Season 15 with the below standard episodes. There has been good moments and wit, often returning to the wit and dialogue of earlier seasons, but the season has lacked their level of substance. I feel that there are still at least another 7 episodes to come, and I don’t know where they are taking the storyline of the Marsh’s breaking up. I’d like to think it’s resolved and one of their messages that change is inevitable and nothing lasts forever, and may as well make the most of it while it’s here (another 7 episodes). I have read posts that say that they have renewed until Season 17, but I think people are misconstruing syndicated air time until 2013 with new episodes.

I started watching South Park when I was 8 in 1998. I did not get many of the more mature jokes (the first episode I watched was Cartman Gets An Anal Probe and I was confused what a dildo was), but yet at the same time the explicitness tickled my funny bone as I was unable to enjoy most shows like others do. And I knew even back then there was much more to it than just swearing and farting. My late mum understood my mind, and we watched it together. So, I have grown up with South Park in a way. When South Park entered a transitional phase, I did as well. Season 5-6 to me, was the transitional phase from vulgarity and explicit being prominent to current affairs and issues. It aided my views about things. I would marvel at how akin they saw the world as I do/did. Season 13, for me, marks a second transitioning: to a show being more about nostalgia, no longer feeling inspired by social events and popular culture (to cover shortly).

Their muse was initially based on doing the unprecedented: 4 naive children (Kenny had a better grasp on things) with adult themes. Such an engrossing mix. And with the reoccurring themes, the most popular being the weekly death of Kenny, allowed them to publicly mark their signature yet privately enjoy incorporating a new imaginative death of an 8 year old boy into their plot.

But with 9/11, the War on Terrorism, and current affairs afoot, they did not want to become stale and confine themselves to the vulgarity that garnered their initial popularity. Matt and Trey (especially Trey) had a to get their messages across about what they think of the state of the world, or the decline of quality in popular culture, and at the same time utilise their ingenious creativity and write scarily accurate spoofs. They no longer had characters of South Park; they had the whole world and for 22 minutes a week, can do whatever the hell they want with it. They yielded a passionate and genuine muse which is what made them so humorous and clever.

Especially since the election of Obama, it just seems current affairs, politics and popular culture have lost substance. I've felt it. They have to feel it. Do you feel it? Politics in the United States – and in my country, Australia – has never been so bland and repetitive, current affairs are nothing new, and popular culture is just, to phrase the episode, sh*t. The promise and hype of Obama has been a letdown. The only current affairs they have not touched upon is all the natural disasters that have recently occurred, but even so I am sure they have done something like that in the past; and to directly spoof natural disasters is tactless – and they know that. And all the ongoing current affairs – global warming, the War on Afghanistan, and so on – are now going round in circles like a mouse on a spinning wheel.

So when we see Stan seeing everything is sh*t, I see it as Matt and Trey seeing everything as boring and repetitive. They can’t even spoof it anymore because it’s crossed the line of “wow, this is terrible and would be fun to satire!” to simply “this is simply sh*t.” They’ve touched it all before, and it’s only gotten worse. They have gone from a satirical perspective to that of cynicism. The muse in popular culture, celebrities, politics has been lost. I read a previous post (forgive me that I can’t recall the specific poster) that the sh*t references were at the viewers who have been denouncing the past Season: that may be true to an extent, but Matt and Trey are extremely smart: they know what is good and what is not. I don’t see them jumping around in the writers room going, “Wow, this Funnybot episode is one of our best!” They know they have been lacking lately. It’s all about feeling, and they have lost it. To quote Randy (Trey): “I’ve been unhappy for a long time!”

Another thing which they have touched upon before which was new and refreshing is the digital age and online dependency. They saw something in that that most people did not. But, the Internet is just only evolving and after their ‘You Have 0 Friends’ and ‘Overlogging’ episodes, that area can no longer be touched.

But the past couple of seasons there still remained inspiration around something else: revealing mysteries and tying up loose ends. To nostalgically link to the past and make new twists to things that have been reoccurring since as early as Season 1 evoked their imagination, but that was only finite. After solving the mystery of Cartman’s dad and the intricacies to Kenny’s death (and a more later mystery: Kenny being Mysterion), another source of inspiration has been depleted.

Now, they have one source of inspiration left, and that is ending it. Ending their creation is their last muse. How to end it would evoke all sorts of creative ideas (I am sure the episode was not the last), but right now they feel they are in a rut (as Sharon put it). South Park will always be their baby, but it does limit them when they have so other main platforms. Different platforms evoke different ideas. Look at their musicals and movies. “I’ve been afraid of changing, because I’ve built my life around you.”

The reference to the “tween years” made me think. They first said 2009 to 2012 and then 2009 to 2013. 2009 being the year that Obama first started, and current affairs got rapidly boring. But maybe they sense that is only a fluctuating cycle, and once the hype of 2012 ends, a new era will begin? We are in a very intermission, immature era right now – the tween era. Popular culture is at an all time low – so low that it cannot be spoofed. Conversely, people maximising the Internet are finding their own interests with YouTube and obscure bands, thereby going against the trends; this creates a distinction between trend followers and individuals like never before. However, I think I digress.

I found the use of the Stevie Nicks song, with Trey previously saying he hates her, as simply a counter argument: we may satire so many things, such as Stevie Nicks, but we know something good in everything. And we like this song. We know it can be emotional.

Those two old characters were really peculiar, and I am surprise nobody has talked more about them. Did anyone else notice nobody talked to them throughout the entire episode? They were these observers. On the one hand I see them as saying that while M&T currently lack inspiration, they can still create jokes if they want to: while on the outside it differs, it’s essentially the same just “more and more ridiculous”. Queue them coming downstairs.

But, have a look at them. Holy f*cking sh*t. Is it me or does the skinny one resemble Trey and the bald one resemble Matt? The older one has that Jewish beard. I’m pretty sure Trey and Matt are voicing them respectively as well. “You’re getting too old.” Is this them drawn old? What they fear they will become if they let South Park drag on, becoming so ridiculous, tired and resorting to obtuse observations? Not sure if this was their intention at all, or if anyone agrees with me, but that’s how I’ll from henceforth construe it as. But I am certain they weren’t put there just “cause”. If you read Trey’s opinion on the Big Bang and the universe, if there’s one thing he despises is things happening just “cause”.

It must be noted how Trey Parker and Matt Stone are fans of Alan Watts, a Zen Buddhist and philosopher who has inspired me deeply. They have animated a couple of his lectures, such as this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82OpDZ9tAho

The reason I bring this is up is because that nothing is permanent; change is inevitable. That is one of the key factors in the wisdom of Alan Watts. The more you try to resist change, the more it becomes hard. Like trying to swim in a current. And perhaps hanging onto South Park for too long. If Trey still remains inspired by Alan Watts, then I feel I know exactly where he is coming from. (Although I am unsure how old those animated videos are, and if Trey even cares about Alan Watts anymore, but I’d like to think he does).

CurseOfTheChozo wrote:And reason #2 kinda leads back to why this episode upset me (in a good way): It reminded me of the finite amount of time we have. Not in life as a whole (as I have always been aware of that), but in particular 'sections' of our own personal lives. I too grew apart from many of my childhood friends and interests going into teenhood. I grew apart from many of my teenhood friends and interests going into young adulthood. And I find myself now, like the show, in a transitional phase - where the once seemingly mundane concepts of a "career" and "settling down" and "starting a family" are no longer just concepts - they're real things that I actively desire. And while I won't delude myself into thinking that I'm in the emotional or psychological headspace for those RIGHT NOW, I AM finding myself looking forward to the day when I will be. And the innocent young child and the rebellious little teen sh*thead and the skeptical, sometimes cynical young adult that I have been are having, if not a hard time, then a WEIRD time trying to reconcile who I was then with who I am now years later and who I eventually want to and will become.

Very true. Not only did I conjure up the multitude of most likely false interpretations, it did strike me on a personal level. The message I got in my own feelings is how, now as a 22 year old, have been trying too long to hang on to teenage friendships which are primarily based on nostalgia. While nostalgia is enjoyable in moderate doses, it should not be the grounds for friendship. Or it won’t last forever. But upon further reflection, while I need to accept that friends will come and go as we enter, as you so rightly put it, ‘sections’ of our personal lives, so too will I simply bask in the present moment and make the most of it. Very Alan Watts esque.

I’d like to think that’s the last seven episodes where they are leading: to publicly announce they want to end it soon, they may make the most of the last seven.
It was a beautifully crafted episode and I congratulate anyone that took the opportunity to read my post. It needed to be addressed because lack of communication is stupid. We sensed this season that Matt and Trey have lose their muse, and they knew they had to, so rather than making mediocre episodes which results in verbatim attacks, they have simply gone on to say: “Look, guys. We can’t keep doing the same thing. We’re creative and we need to change and move on. South Park no longer inspires us. We know the past few episodes have been pretty sh*t. Nothing is permanent.”

Thank you for being there in all of my transitional phases, South Park. Thank you for growing with me.

Wow amazing post. i didnt realize some of the things untill i read this.
Really hope they make a movie though. South park is the only show left that i enjoy watching.
killerskull123

Postby killerskull123 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:48 am

OMG! Is Stan gonna be gone forever? :? Are they gonna acty like he was never there the next episodes? Will he ever come back? Would there be a sixteenth season after what happened to him? These questions and more will be answerewd maybe next time on South Park.
killerskull123

Postby killerskull123 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:53 am

He could have at least said goodbyue. Although his old friends hated hium at least say something to them. And how about his girlfriend Wendy? What she gonna say. She was not in the episode. Atleast a break up or something b4 the bad stuff. :unhoodedkenny :twisted:
Theantonlolz

After watching this episode

Postby Theantonlolz » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:14 am

Im sorry guys, but I really hated this episode, I mean, REALLY, it just, sucked so much.
John_117

Postby John_117 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:22 am

I posted this message somewhere else, but for the hell of it, I'll post it here too.

South Park is at that logistic stage now. There's only two options: rise or fall. If they fall, they will fall hard. In order for them to continue on, M&T will have to make no mistake, or they'll be gone in the blink of an eye. Forever. But if they can pull it off, they will be like messiahs of comedy TV.

South Park has messed up numerous times through it all, I won't name any particular episodes though. This is their last chance to get it right. If they don't...goodbye South Park, but if they do...they become history.
kengc

Postby kengc » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:28 am

That was a brilliant episode.
BearGrylls

Postby BearGrylls » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:40 am

John_117 wrote:I posted this message somewhere else, but for the hell of it, I'll post it here too.

South Park is at that logistic stage now. There's only two options: rise or fall. If they fall, they will fall hard. In order for them to continue on, M&T will have to make no mistake, or they'll be gone in the blink of an eye. Forever. But if they can pull it off, they will be like messiahs of comedy TV.

South Park has messed up numerous times through it all, I won't name any particular episodes though. This is their last chance to get it right. If they don't...goodbye South Park, but if they do...they become history.

WTF? 'Becomes' history??? So you're telling me South Park isn't history yet? A cartoon originally made of paper in stop-motion form, that has now won 4 Emmy's and a Peabody award!
That seems pretty dern historic to me. these guys know what they're doing.... Look at the fuss they've made us make over this! They expected this.... F*cking GENIUS!

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”