*1507: You're Getting Old* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

JVM

Re: Clyde to replace Stan?

Postby JVM » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:16 am

Doyledeth wrote:After watching the Funnybot episode for the second time after watching this one i can't help but think Clyde is going to be Stan's replacement, at least for a little while. in the funnybot episode it shows Stan sitting with butters and (forgot who else, maybe jimmy) and Clyde sitting with Kyle, Kenny and Eric. I wonder if they were hinting around towards that?

It's going to be Clyde or Jimmy. They're the major only child characters voiced by Trey - Jason doesn't do much and they won't use Timmy. Matt and Trey seem to prefer Jimmy over Clyde, but I wonder if they might prefer keeping Jimmy in his current niche as the unofficial sixth main character.

In other news, I transcribed almost all of Randy and Sharon's arguing while the hicks are talking, bookending with the last quote before and first quote after:

Sharon: "Yes, it is your fault, Randy, because you're a child!"

Randy: "I'm sick of everything I do being so wrong, Sharon!"

Sharon: "I'm sick of everything (indistinct) You're forty-two years old, Randy!"

Randy: "I'm not dead yet, Sharon, you might be-"

Sharon: "Oh, is that what you think, that I'm dead?"

(pause as the hicks go inside)

Sharon: "You do this all the time! First you're obsessed with baseball fights, then you need to play Warcraft, then you gotta be a celebrity chef!"

Interesting since last we heard Randy was thirty-five, but on a similar note, Trey is forty-one right now, and come October 2011, Stan's and his own birthday, will be forty-two.
South Park is a platform for Matt and Trey's social commentary and satire; there is no canon and these characters only serve as tools for self-expression. Don't get attached.
NotScaryKrueger

Re: *1507: You're Getting Old* Post-Air Discussion

Postby NotScaryKrueger » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:18 am

I laughed so hard while watching "You're getting Old." I was thinking, "All that poop! This is the funniest episode ever!"Then I had to hold back the tears when Randy drove away... I will be so sad on the day I learn South Park will no longer be visiting my TV. (*sigh*)
evilsnowcone

Postby evilsnowcone » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:21 am

with matt and trey, you never really know. they could just be f*cking with us or this really could be the end. something ive feared for a long time but never really thought would happen. south park has been my favorite show ever since i saw the pilot the night it aired back when... damn, i think i was in middle school. i guess all good things must come to an end. if so, i hold nothing against matt and trey. the public poors through each episode with a fine tooth comb always finding something to bash it. its never good enough anymore. people are so jaded, they cant just sit back and enjoy sp for its clever humor. holding m & t to a standard they can never achieve. so, the end or not. i say to matt and trey in the off chance this post reaches them. thank you, thank you for the years of laughter. thank you for bringing me what i will ALWAYS believe to be the greatest show ever made.
liranshushan100

Postby liranshushan100 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:06 am

203177 wrote:I'm still on the edge of my seat on what happened f*ck! I cannot wait until October I just wanna know now! Matt and Trey no how to scar us fans

this is the best cliffhanger since "Cartman's Mom Is Still a Dirty Slut" !
BeLash

masters

Postby BeLash » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:26 am

trey parker and matt stone are f*ckin the best. i'd actually cried, after watching "youre getting old". i was so sad i had to smoke some bud to get out of my funk after having watched the episode the first time. four times, thats how many times i saw it. the cynicism pushing all of stan's friends from his life is crazily reminiscent of someone else's life i know eerily intimately. great guys, wish i could talk epistemology with em while we enjoy a blunt, i hope they don't stop the teaching and preaching too soon
kfgg

Postby kfgg » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:34 am

After falling into deep depression after seeing this, I have put this into prospective. And I can relate

I'm 24 and more and mor of today's music is starting to sound like sh*t. I used to LOVE Radio Disney when I was younger. I tune to the station I loved so much, and out comes sh*tty noise.

I was always a fan of the Top-40 radio format. Now its painful for me to listen to.

If I go back to listening to nothing but the old stuff I get too much of it, it gets stale and starts sounding like sh*t.

What they need is a break. Stan needs a rest. Randy and Sharon need some more time away

And Matt & Trey need to stop working for awhile. No musical, no interviews, nothing. We'll see what happens in the fall.

Getting away from something for an extended period can and will fuel the fire. Because you begin to miss it.

Make sense?
Stan and Kyle :)
Brian in FL

Postby Brian in FL » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:37 am

First of all, I would like to say I registered with South Park Studios specifically to comment on this episode.

I would like to say Thank You Matt and Trey and Thank You Fellow posters!

Watching this episode, determining my thoughts as to what I thought the interpretation of this episode was and reading many of your interpretations of the episode has been a LIFE CHANGING EXPERIENCE! I would especially like to thank shazzaTPM for the posting at Jun 09, 2011 7:50 pmSat. I was so moved by your thoughts that I actually copied them in a word doc and saved them titled wisdom (with your name included, of course) so that I can review them again when I need to find some clarity in life.

I cannot thank all of you enough for what you have helped me to do.

I have been searching for happiness in a pretty bleak life for a long time now. I am a natural problem-solver however this has been one problem that I have not been able to solve on my own and it has driven me nuts (because I am used to being able to find the solution to issues).

Much like many of you, I have worked to hold onto friendships longer than I should. The majority of the people that I considered to be my best friends I have known for 15-20 years. I have noticed that these friendships were getting weaker so I have spent years trying harder to hold onto them. Despite my best efforts, these friendships have become more distant.

I consider my best times to be the decade of the 90's. Since then, life has seemed to go downhill. I lost one of my best friends to suicide, the responsibilities have increased exponentially and I seemed to lose the connections to others that I hold so dear. I have tried to hold onto the good old times, back in the 90's. I primarily listened to the music from that time, I tired to force these dying relationships with my old friends because I didn't know how to make the new ones. I watched my old friends meet many new people, their lives evolve and I felt like I was losing all that I knew and I didn't know how to change it.

Yesterday, I watched this episode. This episode reached into my brain, grabbed a ton of suppressed, horribly painful feelings and laid them down in front of me front and center. I literally lost it about 10-15 times yesterday after watching this episode, finding what I thought Matt and Trey's message was for me about life. I literally thought that I was going to be worthless all day with how upset I felt.

Later in the day, I visited this blog and one of the YouTube videos for Landslide. All of you who have posted shared your thoughts of Matt and Trey's messages from the show. Some of those, I did not even think about until you were so kind to share them with me and the rest of us.

One of the things that many of you shared was that you too had been trying to hold onto friendships that were established in another phase of life and found it equally difficult. You were having the same struggles that I was. I cannot tell you how comforting this was to me.

After being upset, a lot, watching the episode over again several times to ensure that I analyzed it to death and after hearing all of my fellow poster's words of wisdom, I realized something. It was time for a great deal of self-reflection.

I have begun this process. So far, I have realized that there are two things that I NEED to do: (1) Get a New Job and (2) Buy a New House. Much like what it seems with Matt and Trey, my job no longer seems rewarding to me. It is important for me to feel like I am making a difference in the world or at least feel like I get some satisfaction about what I do for a living. I do not have that now and I am sure that is a large part of the reason for my unhappiness. As for the house, the home I have now is mobile (not my preferred construction by any means) and while it has served me well, it was not what I considered to be my long-term home. In the next three years (once my car is paid off and some of my debt is gone) I am going to buy the house I had always wanted- Concrete Block with a kick-ass garage and a pool!

I plan to continue this self-reflection even further. Next week, I plan to arm myself with a notebook and a pen and go to a beautiful place connected to nature and really soul-search and discover exactly who I am and what I am looking for in this phase of life.

For a long time now, I have found it difficult to get up in the morning despite getting 6-8 hours of sleep. Last night, I went to sleep after 2 am and woke up on my own before 7 am and felt better than I have in a long time (very well rested). Mentally, I was more at peace with myself than I have been as long as I can remember and this is because all of you helped me to crack the code to my unhappiness and how to fix it!

Thank you very much Matt, Trey and fellow posters for showing me the way to personal self-reflection. You all have made a bigger difference in my life than you will ever know!
CartmansWhore

Postby CartmansWhore » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:46 am

Did anyone stop to think that maybe part of this could be about Trey's divorce and not the show entirely?
“The basis of all reasoning is the mind's awareness of itself. What we think, the external objects we perceive, are all like actors that come on and off stage. But our consciousness, the stage itself, is always present to us,” Trey Parker
MadDogReed97

Postby MadDogReed97 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:00 am

not trying 2 make every 1 sad but i checked 4 next wendsday and their was no new south park :(
CartmansWhore

Postby CartmansWhore » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:02 am

MadDogReed97 wrote:not trying 2 make every 1 sad but i checked 4 next wendsday and their was no new south park :(

:)
“The basis of all reasoning is the mind's awareness of itself. What we think, the external objects we perceive, are all like actors that come on and off stage. But our consciousness, the stage itself, is always present to us,” Trey Parker
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:05 am

CartmansWhore wrote:Did anyone stop to think that maybe part of this could be about Trey's divorce and not the show entirely?

Could be, though the divorce took place almost two years ago. Trey is now living with a stripper/pole dancer and her 10 year old son (maybe 11 now, who knows?).
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:07 am

MadDogReed97 wrote:not trying 2 make every 1 sad but i checked 4 next wendsday and their was no new south park :(

Sorry about you being last to the party. :P

Brian in FL

Postby Brian in FL » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:17 am

I believe this one was the mid-season finale. The show resumes in October (I believe) with new episodes (hopefully).

They typically split the season up into two runs- 1/2 of the season at the beginning of the year and 1/2 near the end of the year.
RichardV1150

NEED HELP UNDERSTANDING WHAT HAPPENED?

Postby RichardV1150 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:32 am

Well to clarify what, kinda happened, I started a separate thread called "'What everything means' by Richard Via". Within this thread I did some serious research, picking apart some of the underlying themes and what this episode also means to me as well as many of the fans. My clarifying abilities seem to help, or rather make things more difficult. I hope that if you do decide to look at it, it helps you to understand things and stuff better.
I also threw in some fix-ups and crazy solutions as to what might happen from here on out, some much more crazier than others.
Link to page right here: http://forums.southparkstudios.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=47967
South Park is amazing and anyone who doesn't think so should learn how to Respect My Authoritah! LOL South Park Rulez!
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:09 am

Heh, attention whore.

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”