*1507: You're Getting Old* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

cynthia325

Re: *1507: You're Getting Old* Post-Air Discussion

Postby cynthia325 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:01 pm

NeuroHeart wrote:
cynthia325 wrote:After watching the episode for a third time. I still haven't dissected every single line or meaning like the majority on the forum have been doing. No point in doing that: sorry to tell those of you who seem to do it A LOT!

When M&T and the other writers meet in the writers room for ideas, don't they think of times when they were a little kid, and what happened in their lives? Maybe the topic of growing apart from your childhood friend came up. I know I can relate to Stan in this episode. I was friends with someone from first through twelfth grade. I became cynical of everything and everyone in high school. I noticed that my friend started to avoid me. She was like Kyle: she grew irritated and tired of me. The sad part is she had to write me an email listing everything she hated about me instead of tell me to my face, and to make matters worse she had her new bestie tell me the same thing. This episode made me reflect on that time in my life. It was an emotionally draining time for me.

Either way I still think, yes this could mean the beginning of the end of South Park. If it is, I still say that's fine. It's the decision of the creators and I trust their judgment. The show will certainly be missed.

First off, I would like to thank you for spelling 'a lot' properly. It sets my teeth on edge to see it as one word, and I see that, well, a lot.
Secondly, you have a good point. Kids do go through shifting friendships. Hell, non-kids go through shifting friendships. I've been on both sides of this kind of shift in my life; I've gotten tired of constant complaining when nothing I could do or say was ever good enough and nothing seemed to help. I did try to help in those instances, sometimes for a length of time that seemed kind of ludicrous, but eventually I just started avoiding people because I knew it was going to be a pile of negativity and just bring me down. I've also been the one thinking everything was sh*tty, and just isolating myself. It happens. So maybe that is all that's going on, but I get a sense that it's not all that's going on.
Lastly, Matt and Trey are clearly brilliant, and they can do anything they want. I don't mean that in the sense that I'm giving them permission or something weird, I mean that they could pitch any project and probably get an enthusiastic response. They could also take a few years off if that's what they wanted, because the dudes are wealthy. They can fund projects, write stuff, direct stuff, just... whatever the hell they want, they can do. And if they don't want to do South Park anymore, well, then they shouldn't. They'll have my support in all of their endeavors.

You are wonderful for pointing out a great truth: M&T are brilliant indeed and they can do anything they want. They can do no wrong (in my eyes at least). I doubt they will take time off. Well from what I've seen of them I think Trey would be the one to work every day for the rest of his life. Matt will probably want time to be at home and spend free time with his wife and son. I don't know them personally, but the impression I get from them is that Trey is the non-stop creative type and Matt is the supervisor type. Like he oversees things and makes sure that Trey is on top of getting the job done. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I see. That's why they're a great team. Opposites attract. They both share the same attitudes and opinions about many topics, but their behavior is totally polar opposites. I remember seeing behind the scenes for Orgazmo and Trey and this other guy were giggling and joking about something and Mattt came up to them and said "um guys can we get some f*cking work done" (something along those lines) I laughed so hard. I was like holy crap I can relate to Matt. I'm very "let's go let's get this sh*t done!" They are both very focused and very smart artists and business men. I have been a fan since SP:BLU and I will always be supportive of anything they do. I still think Time Warped wasn't given a fair chance and Princess should have gone on to be like Foamy the Squirrel or Happy Tree Friends. I've said it a thousand times on here: Matt and Trey can do no wrong and I support them no matter what!
Brendle

Postby Brendle » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:07 pm

cynthia325 wrote:That's very nice of you to say, but you don't know me. I am very cynical. I can be optimistic when I want to be. But for the most part, I see the world very black and dark.

Yeah...I can only go by what I've seen you write on this site.

I've seen you write positive things about the show and you appear to be irritated by the people criticizing this show...

Sorry for being presumptuous.

i hated dis episode....it sucked so hard...i mean it was just crap comin out of ppls mouths and eyes for like 20 mins...da same joke over n over...it wasnt even funny bro...south park needs to quit...it's all shitty-- Well, I, Dr Janus, happen to think this episode was excellent. Some brilliant symbolism and a deeply touching, emotional storyline with Stan and Kyle's friendship being tested. I just hope Randy/Sharon can-- RARRRR I f*cking hated this episode!!! they didn't make fun of the media...that evil media, controlling our lives! all those goddamn corporations, RAWR, obamas birth certificate is FAKE
My name is Brendle, and I think Trey Parker is a genius.
CartmansWhore

Postby CartmansWhore » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:37 pm

cynthia325 wrote:
Brendle wrote:
cynthia325 wrote:After watching the episode for a third time. I still haven't dissected every single line or meaning like the majority on the forum have been doing. No point in doing that: sorry to tell those of you who seem to do it A LOT!

When M&T and the other writers meet in the writers room for ideas, don't they think of times when they were a little kid, and what happened in their lives? Maybe the topic of growing apart from your childhood friend came up. I know I can relate to Stan in this episode. I was friends with someone from first through twelfth grade. I became cynical of everything and everyone in high school. I noticed that my friend started to avoid me. She was like Kyle: she grew irritated and tired of me. The sad part is she had to write me an email listing everything she hated about me instead of tell me to my face, and to make matters worse she had her new bestie tell me the same thing. This episode made me reflect on that time in my life. It was an emotionally draining time for me.

Either way I still think, yes this could mean the beginning of the end of South Park. If it is, I still say that's fine. It's the decision of the creators and I trust their judgment. The show will certainly be missed.

You don't seem cynical, cynthia (even though your name is similar to the word)! You seem quite the opposite.

It is kind of sad how people grow apart as they get older. Getting older for me, is realizing just how complex the world is. Everything is so complicated. There's never an easy solution to anything.

I know for a fact that Matt/Trey are two positive people and have always opposed cynicism. But I feel like they are becoming cynical...and that's not what they want the show to turn into. They don't want it to become a grumpy old man that says everything sucks.

So they're going to call it quits. There's just no coming back from something like that ending. You can't press the reset button; that would be an insult to the power and the drama of that scene.

As Matt Stone said, "once you get to a deeper level, you can't ever go back." That final scene was the deeper level. We're about to see the end of South Park...or a new South Park entirely. A serious, more mature South Park.

That final scene was NOT a joke. You can always tell when they're being ironic...I could sense no irony there. It was the first genuinely serious South Park scene in history...apart from when Cartman was heartbroken by Wendy...and apart from Kip Drordy.

That's very nice of you to say, but you don't know me. I am very cynical. I can be optimistic when I want to be. But for the most part, I see the world very black and dark. I'm no "emo" I have just had many hard times in my life. I can relate to the song Hasa Diga Ebowi (from The Book of Mormon) It seems like I'm always cursing God more than I am praising him. A lot of it has to do with that friendship I mentioned. Losing that friendship turned my world completely upside down. Because of the feedback I got from that girl, it's hard for me to make girl friends. It's hard being friend with boys because (not trying to boast) but all my guy friends like me more than a friend and it's hard to be taken seriously when I want to go to te bar or movies with them. This year was rough on me too: I lost my dog of 14 years, I got fired from my job of 3 years, and my boyfriend hit a car with MY car! And now my favorite cartoon may be ending.

Anyway I get your point completely about why you feel the show is ending. It's a good argument, but until M&T release the next episode or a statement, we'll never know. I like that they make things for our interpretation, even the musical is left open for us to decide what faith means to us, but I really wonder what goes on in their heads. From what I see, they seem like the kind of guys I could chill at the bar with. But are they really... You know?

wow, we're quite a bit alike. I'm dark and cynical myself :\
“The basis of all reasoning is the mind's awareness of itself. What we think, the external objects we perceive, are all like actors that come on and off stage. But our consciousness, the stage itself, is always present to us,” Trey Parker
cynthia325

Postby cynthia325 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:42 pm

Brendle wrote:
cynthia325 wrote:That's very nice of you to say, but you don't know me. I am very cynical. I can be optimistic when I want to be. But for the most part, I see the world very black and dark.

Yeah...I can only go by what I've seen you write on this site.

I've seen you write positive things about the show and you appear to be irritated by the people criticizing this show...

Sorry for being presumptuous.

i hated dis episode....it sucked so hard...i mean it was just crap comin out of ppls mouths and eyes for like 20 mins...da same joke over n over...it wasnt even funny bro...south park needs to quit...it's all shitty-- Well, I, Dr Janus, happen to think this episode was excellent. Some brilliant symbolism and a deeply touching, emotional storyline with Stan and Kyle's friendship being tested. I just hope Randy/Sharon can-- RARRRR I f*cking hated this episode!!! they didn't make fun of the media...that evil media, controlling our lives! all those goddamn corporations, RAWR, obamas birth certificate is FAKE

LMAO I am fine with people having their own opinions, but when it comes to the bastards that blame The Book of Mormon for "distracting Trey" (yes someone actually said that) or something along those lines, it gets me irritated. It's fine if you didn't like an episode or thought less of it than others, but to blame M&T's success or interest in another project is just lame and annoying. Real fans can love every episode for what it is, but if not then at least they can still accept M&T's creativity. Bren, you are one of the peeps on here that gives good reason as to why you thought something wasn't up to par. And that's cool as hell because it's honest.
cynthia325

Postby cynthia325 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:57 pm

CartmansWhore wrote:wow, we're quite a bit alike. I'm dark and cynical myself :\

In that case it would be dangerous for us to start ranting about things we hate, wouldn't it? :wink:

I don't like being this way. But like I said, so many bad things that happen in one's life can make them see the world as nothing more than sh*t. We don't know much more as to why Stan feels that way. He turns 10 and suddenly everything sucks? I know they were just trying to illustrate that when you get older, your perception on everything changes. And there is only so much to fit into a 30 min show. But Stan is only 10. He's way too young to think the world is sh*tty. He should be at least starting to break out with acne.
canadasucks

Postby canadasucks » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:01 pm

This was a pretty good season so far in my book. I've watched SP religiously since I was 9 and watched the movie like a million times. I know there are tons of fans out there like that, and I know Matt and Trey know there are fans out there like that. They are not going to completely f*ck us by leaving us with that. It's like in the episode where Lucas and Spielberg try to remake Raiders of the Lost Ark, and the boys say they don't own it the public does. Well the public also owns SP. We watched and loved it all these years. So I know they are going to end this brilliant show properly. I'm just curious how they will from here.

Good luck Matt and Trey!

You are total buttholes for that last episode, though!
CartmansWhore

Postby CartmansWhore » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:09 pm

cynthia325 wrote:
CartmansWhore wrote:wow, we're quite a bit alike. I'm dark and cynical myself :\

In that case it would be dangerous for us to start ranting about things we hate, wouldn't it? :wink:

I don't like being this way. But like I said, so many bad things that happen in one's life can make them see the world as nothing more than sh*t. We don't know much more as to why Stan feels that way. He turns 10 and suddenly everything sucks? I know they were just trying to illustrate that when you get older, your perception on everything changes. And there is only so much to fit into a 30 min show. But Stan is only 10. He's way too young to think the world is sh*tty. He should be at least starting to break out with acne.

;) Don't tempt me, I am always inclined to indulge in some complaining every now and then. hehehe

Funny, I just went to a birthday party for a 10 yr old last night and mentioned to my bf about how he'll start thinking everything is crap pretty soon and he totally LOL'd.

I agree with you tho.
“The basis of all reasoning is the mind's awareness of itself. What we think, the external objects we perceive, are all like actors that come on and off stage. But our consciousness, the stage itself, is always present to us,” Trey Parker
cynthia325

Postby cynthia325 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:39 pm

^ @CartmansWhore

Last night my b/f and I went to Wal Mart and this old woman in front of me dropped a box of dog food. She stood there and didn't move... expecting someone to help a poor old woman. I picked it up and she didn't say thank you. As soon as we left the store we laughed and made fun "back in my day we didn't have manners"

That just goes to show you the world is sh*tty. I am amazed when I see good more than when I see bad, which is rare. I guess I expect it.
CartmansWhore

Postby CartmansWhore » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:50 pm

cynthia325 wrote:^ @CartmansWhore

Last night my b/f and I went to Wal Mart and this old woman in front of me dropped a box of dog food. She stood there and didn't move... expecting someone to help a poor old woman. I picked it up and she didn't say thank you. As soon as we left the store we laughed and made fun "back in my day we didn't have manners"

That just goes to show you the world is sh*tty. I am amazed when I see good more than when I see bad, which is rare. I guess I expect it.

Wow, I hate ppl like that. It reminds me of when I helped my sister's church feed homeless ppl downtown and even after we spent a few hours with them there wasn't a thank you in return. Goes to show!
jakehenlan

lol

Postby jakehenlan » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:56 pm

CRAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
jakehenlan

lol

Postby jakehenlan » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:56 pm

CRAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
CartmansWhore

Postby CartmansWhore » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:00 pm

Double posting all the way...so intense!
zzyzx 1

Re: lol

Postby zzyzx 1 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:10 pm

akehenlan wrote:
akehenlan wrote:CRAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
CRAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

'k

So I was watching some "PG" rated SP on syndication yesterday, which leads to the question: Can "You're Getting Old" be edited down to a PG version for syndacation? The episode is more than shιtty language; it actually shows shιt in 90% of the scenes.

To edit the 22 min episode to a PG version for syndication, I guess the show would be 5 minutes long and the rest would be commercials.

Or, it may never be released to syndication. What do you guys think?
CartmansWhore

Postby CartmansWhore » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:15 pm

I never bother to watch the appropriate syndication episodes.
LottaHistory

Postby LottaHistory » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:29 pm

We've already gathered the meaning behind the episode from everyone, with Kyle and Cartman's newfound friendship, Sharon and Randy arguing and divorcing, and the family moving somewhere else.

Personally, I'm going to take a lesson from the episode "The Tale of Scrotie McBoogerballs". I will not look for a meaning. Not everything has a meaning or subliminal message. Maybe Matt and Trey were trying to send us a message, but knowing them and how they work, it's pretty likely they're just trying to make you think that's what they're doing instead.

So, I'd like to take this whole thing lightly. After all, I'm just following the message they sent me last season. Hypocritical, isn't it?

I disagree with this post entirely.

The point of Scrotie McBoogerballs was people looking into things to find meanings that aren't there. In Scrotie McBoogerballs, the book the kids wrote was meant to be purposely obscene in order to get banned, because they felt "Catcher in the Rye" was unworthy of getting banned. People loved the book, and ended up all finding their own meaning for the story, which we, the audience, clearly know wasn't there because the book was written just to be obscene.

You can't really apply that to this episode. The meaning IS in the episode, and is referenced.

They clearly reference themselves by having Sharon list off all of the ridiculous things Randy has done. We, the South Park audience, should recognize all of these things because each one she mentions is an individual episode. This is a direct reference to themselves and the show South Park.

The point is then driven home a little harder, when the conversation begins revolving around "the same story" "week after week" and "everything just getting reset before it happens again". This is a clear and direct reference to the South Park show itself, where week after week ridiculous things happen and then it all gets reset for them to be able to start again the following week. If this conversation was purely, PURELY about the end of the marriage, the wording would've been a little different. The wording in the conversation here obviously implies a double meaning, one being the surface meaning of Randy and Sharon breaking up, and the other being the true meaning of the episode.....The creators feelings towards the show, themselves, and us as fans.

Now up to this point, I suppose it's still possible to say that MAYBE peopel are looking into it too much, and it's not actually about the show, but just about Randy and Sharon's marriage. This is until they speak of how ridiculous things are getting, and we see the two farmers in the background stealing Randy's underwear, and tlaking about setting them free or whatever. That's pretty ridiculous. That was the punchline. It was meant to be ridiculous and to serve to show us the audience that htis conversation is about South Park itself, and not solely just the end of a marriage.

You can't say people are looking too hard into things and finding meaning that isn't there. Look at any message board about South Park. Most people came away from the episode feeling like it was an honest expression from the creators to the fans about the show itself. It seems like this went over alot of other people's heads. But you can't say they are being hypocrytical just because they this message into their episode, because the evidence for it IS THERE, IN PLAIN SIGHT, and it should be pretty obvious to most South Park fans.

That was the point of the entire episode.

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”