*1507: You're Getting Old* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

Ex1lepr0

Re: *1507: You're Getting Old* Post-Air Discussion

Postby Ex1lepr0 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:45 am

^^I don't want them to stay divorced. It might even make me stop watching the show. It's only a cool idea to those who have not gone through it. I don't want to whine, or preach, or be offended by the show, but I don't like the idea at all. Just too many painful memories brought up by this episode alone! That's all.

*Edit* Sorry I went on a rant there. I just don't like how people take so lightly what is so heartbreaking to me. :oops:
Can't we all just get along?
RichardV1150

Postby RichardV1150 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:34 am

I agree, a divorce is a difficult thing to go through, I my self might have seen it, but my father died at a young age, when I was only 8 going on 9 years old. Now that I look back I could see their relationship not working out now. My father was kind of a Randy character now that I think about it, shared many of the same qualities, the drunkenness, the funniness, the best father ever.
Well, that's my past, as unhappy as it is, people like you and me exist, having broken up families, moving to a new house, sometimes losing friends and that's that. We can look on toward the future, and hope for the best. I like it when I can relate to a television show, it's... somewhat relaxing, you can't live in your past, but you can't bury it either, you have to face facts and let it make you stronger.
South Park is amazing and anyone who doesn't think so should learn how to Respect My Authoritah! LOL South Park Rulez!
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:01 am

People, they are NOT DIVORCED yet, and they might never be. They are simply separated. This has happened before, sure, but Matt and Trey haven't gone as deeply into it as they have here.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
NeuroHeart

Postby NeuroHeart » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:28 am

Ex1lepr0 wrote:It's only a cool idea to those who have not gone through it.

I respectfully disagree, as someone whose parents split when I was five. It's a rich mine of character exploration and development, and I would be interested to see how the subject is addressed.
To believe in something just because you're afraid of the consequences if you don't believe in something is no reason to believe in something.
ctxppc

Postby ctxppc » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:08 am

No!!! Randy and Sharen can't divorce! They just can't!

I won't believe it! :!: :!: :!:
RichardV1150

Postby RichardV1150 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:22 pm

Wooah dude above me, calm down there, it's alright, it's alright, I hope you are kidding around, if not then you take South Park a little too seriously.

Yes, a separation doesn't mean divorce. but my grandparents have been separate for over 40 years, they don't have divorce papers, that might just be in my family, but a separation tends to lead to a divorce. Those two are unhappy, sticking together just for the children is a horrible idea, why would you make yourself miserable? There relationship is unhealthy for the both of them, if the South Park creators are trying at all to resemble real life, their relationship wouldn't hold up in real life.
South Park is amazing and anyone who doesn't think so should learn how to Respect My Authoritah! LOL South Park Rulez!
Dib

Postby Dib » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:01 pm

Okay, yeah, Stan, Randy, Sharon... they're important, but I'm going to take a look into the the more subtle: Kyle and Eric. In a lot of the more recent episodes, their friendship has in fact been strengthening. In the Jersey episode, Cartman even calls Kyle 'his little monster'. However, in HUMANCENTiPAD, Cartman still seems to have a sadistic nature toward Kyle. This may change when the next episode comes along though. I am personally convinced that Cartman is Kyle's new Stan, although it would definitely be the friendship equivalent of a love/hate relationship, at least for a while. This episode probably made shippers go crazy, but I believe they can be, well, friends in the end. As for Stan, I really don't predict a good ending for him. What it will be, who knows, but I do know this. Kyle and Cartman are on the way to losing their animosity, probably not for good, but for a while at least.
Stanluv25

Postby Stanluv25 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:46 pm

Ex1lepr0 wrote:^^I don't want them to stay divorced. It might even make me stop watching the show. It's only a cool idea to those who have not gone through it. I don't want to whine, or preach, or be offended by the show, but I don't like the idea at all. Just too many painful memories brought up by this episode alone! That's all.

*Edit* Sorry I went on a rant there. I just don't like how people take so lightly what is so heartbreaking to me. :oops:

Hey, I'm going through the same thing too. My parents are no longer together and I just moved into a new place with my dad and his new girlfriend/fiance in April. So I know how it feels and it is too much, too soon. I only found everything out in Jan. This episode is so painful to me and it's partly why I got so depressed about it and cried about it for days. I know just what Stan is going through.

But in terms of character development, the divorce could add a new angle to the show and provide a lot of new content. It doesn't mean it won't be funny anymore. It can be just as funny, as long as Stan isn't depressed about it anymore.

So while it's heart-breaking, if Stan learns to love life again, the show will be just as funny :).
I love: Stan, Butters, Cartman, Sharon.

I ship: Stan/Cartman <3

Stan: MMOOMM!!
Sharon: What is it honey? (gasp!) My baby's killed again!
Haa, I love that line.
Anthony Servante

Postby Anthony Servante » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:32 am

It is crucial that Matt and Trey reread their Charlie Brown. He goes thru a similar transformation as Stan. In an extended sequence of the comic strip Peanuts from 1973, Charlie Brown becomes so obsessed with baseball that everything round starts looking like a baseball to him. Soon his own round head develops a rash that makes the back of his skull look like a baseball, and he starts wearing a paper bag on his head to hide it. Ironically, while hidden from view, his popularity and respect increase. He is referred to by the other campers as "Mr. Sack" or "Sack", but is also voted camp president and is widely admired. The rash eventually fades from his head, but Charlie Brown still fears that the next round thing he expects to see—a sunrise—may continue to look like a baseball. When the sun does rise, it instead looks like Alfred E. Neuman, with a halo reading: "What! Me Worry?"!
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:00 pm

I knew I had this somewhere.

Took me long enough to find it. :roll:
itsAvirus

Postby itsAvirus » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:40 am

OK first off - I didn't read the whole thread, so if anyone else has said all this before me, SORRY! It's just... it's like 55 pages long.

Anyone else think it would be cool if the last bit of South Park kind of took a bit out of Moral Orel's book?
Anyone else who followed that show probably remembers the final season - I know when I was first watching You're Getting Old, I got that Moral Orel S3 vibe - it was depressing as hell in an oddly relatable, fairly realistic way, and yet still manages to be funny - even to be heart-wrenching in a satirical way - to balance things out.

The whole last season of Moral Orel gave definitive endings - and histories - for most all of the major characters, and it got pretty intensely emotional at times. I think it would be really cool to see South Park pull something similar to that, especially since 1507 proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that they could do it - and that they could most certainly do it well. It would be interesting to see South Park with more character development, and even continuity (I know there's little bits of continuity here and there in South Park already, but it's all more in a callback sense). I feel like if anyone could pull it off really quite nicely, Matt and Trey could.

I'm not saying THIS IS WHAT SHOULD HAPPEN, but it's kind of a neat thought.
I'm super excited to see what they do next, one way or another :3
[biohazard]T0X1C
Mark Sandman

Postby Mark Sandman » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:22 am

Great great episode.
Very strong thriling humor and very touching story about perception of the young hoping and opened hearth being corupted by the....all the......humiliating insulting -brainwashingterror- .....or ......life -scenario-.It will allways remain as question-Is it me or whole world gone sadly wrong?-
People grow apart.
Great subject Great episode.
Regards.
Acehigh

Postby Acehigh » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:41 pm

Some people are idiots. Just enjoy the show, think about it, discuss it, speculate, whatever...

Some cynical assh*les here I think :)
Gonz2472

Postby Gonz2472 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:53 pm

so, i love the episode, don't get me wrong. everything everybody else has said is right on the money. its a great episode...on it's own. But to be honest? not exactly what i watch south park for. For those that want more episodes like this...eh. Lets just say i'd rather have this be the exception, not the rule
shirker

Postby shirker » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:43 am

I am soooo confused too! But before saying anything too soon I'll just say let me sleep over it and maybe tomorrow (when I'll re-watch it) I might understand some clues better. Hopefully that is! :(
I'm a 30 years old guy from Slovenia, and I simply must mention that me and my two friends were totally similar to SP-gang in cruel imagination; especially in making morbid stories about ourselves, our parents, teachers etc.

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”