*1508: Ass Burgers* Pre-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

Niels0827

Re: *1508: Ass Burgers* Pre-Air Discussion

Postby Niels0827 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:34 am

simpsonsfan628 wrote:When I first saw the clip, other than bursting out laughing, I thought to myself what ever happened to nurse Golum. she was the "Conjoint Fetus Lady" from season two. Was anybody else wondering this?

They probably tried to remove the fetus.
Mortality rate: 100%
JVM

Postby JVM » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:19 am

Nurse Gollum successfully had the fetus removed (the technology exists now) and was attractive enough that she was able to quit and get a better job and now lives somewhere in Denver with her husband, three children and pet hamster Scott.

We all know the truth is just that Matt and Trey have memory issues.
South Park is a platform for Matt and Trey's social commentary and satire; there is no canon and these characters only serve as tools for self-expression. Don't get attached.
SouthParkCentralSP

Postby SouthParkCentralSP » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:46 am

Im so excited knowing that South Park will be here in about 2 days! I've been waiting since the last one as everyone else has and its finally here! Just cant wait!
AngusMcTavish

Postby AngusMcTavish » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:12 am

VACOOLA wrote:I wonder if the guy from the General Discussion forum who wanted an "assburgers" episode so hard is still around to tell us how happy he's now. :?

Don't know, but I'm sure he must be crapping Baconators in anticipation.

:lol:
AwkwardlyReversed

Postby AwkwardlyReversed » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:54 am

I have to admit I'm worried about this. I hope it's like the Tourette's episode where they show the difference between the real syndrome and the people who fake it. Or point out the dangers of misdiagnosing and how it affects both the people who are misdiagnosed and the ones that actually have the syndrome. It'll be really sad if they do something along the lines of claiming Asperger's isn't real. One of the hardest parts of having a less obvious form of autism is that a lot of people don't understand it and think the person is just making it up or needs to "suck it up" or whatever other bullsh*t.
Let's face it, every once in a while they'll do an episode about something they don't really understand or just bully the crap out of something they don't like. I just hope this isn't one of them.
Niels0827

Postby Niels0827 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:10 am

I just want to throw this out there: Almost everybody I know personally with Asperger's doesn't give a crap what other people think about it. South Park could portray it the wrong way and it wouldn't change how they feel. They'd probably laugh at it. Probably the biggest misconception I know of is that people think Asperger's is like autism, especially low-functioning autism. They're like night and day.

Of course, I can't say all people who have it are the same. That's part of what I'm trying to say. Asperger's isn't a specific condition. It's its own 'spectrum' covering a wide variety of behavioral and social traits. There's people out there who don't "have" Asperger's who just aren't very social, and they can be far worse off than anyone who does have it. In fact, after an 'Aspie' reaches their late teens or early 20s, you can't even tell they have it or ever did in many cases. At that point you just realize that everybody's different.
Brendle

Postby Brendle » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:31 am

AwkwardlyReversed wrote:I have to admit I'm worried about this. I hope it's like the Tourette's episode where they show the difference between the real syndrome and the people who fake it. Or point out the dangers of misdiagnosing and how it affects both the people who are misdiagnosed and the ones that actually have the syndrome. It'll be really sad if they do something along the lines of claiming Asperger's isn't real. One of the hardest parts of having a less obvious form of autism is that a lot of people don't understand it and think the person is just making it up or needs to "suck it up" or whatever other bullsh*t.
Let's face it, every once in a while they'll do an episode about something they don't really understand or just bully the crap out of something they don't like. I just hope this isn't one of them.

The episode is going to make the "suck it up, you're just making it up" point, but it will also present the other side of the argument, too.

The kids will be in the middle of it, ala every South Park episode ever.
My name is Brendle, and I think Trey Parker is a genius.
AwkwardlyReversed

Postby AwkwardlyReversed » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:44 am

Niels0827 wrote: Probably the biggest misconception I know of is that people think Asperger's is like autism, especially low-functioning autism. They're like night and day.

I guess you've been lucky. I've never met a person that thinks Asperger's is like low-functioning autism. Most people I know think if you're not rocking in the corner drooling, you don't have a problem.
Asperger's does not go away. If you had it as a kid and then grew out of it, then you were probably just misdiagnosed and never had it to begin with. A lot of diagnoses are thrown around with kids, and then when kids grow up and it turns out nothing's wrong, people think the illness went away. While people that actually have it have to deal with it their whole lives. And it really doesn't help much when everyone around thinks it's not for realz.

Brendle wrote:The episode is going to make the "suck it up, you're just making it up" point, but it will also present the other side of the argument, too.

I hope so. It's just that sometimes they kind of forget to present the other side.
Niels0827

Postby Niels0827 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:07 am

What I meant to say was that when people hear the word "autism", they generally think of "low-functioning" autism, and Asperger's can come to mind to some people simply because it's on what they call the "autism spectrum". Autism can be high- or low-functioning. Compared to any form of autism, Asperger's is considered "very high-functioning", pretty much to the point of "normal", even though some cases of Asperger's are more evident or prevalent than others.

AwkwardlyReversed wrote:Asperger's does not go away. If you had it as a kid and then grew out of it, then you were probably just misdiagnosed and never had it to begin with. A lot of diagnoses are thrown around with kids, and then when kids grow up and it turns out nothing's wrong, people think the illness went away. While people that actually have it have to deal with it their whole lives. And it really doesn't help much when everyone around thinks it's not for realz.

Asperger's isn't that black & white. It's not one of those things where "you either have it or you don't". It's an entire spectrum of different social, mental, and behavioral traits. Nobody has all of them, but virtually nobody has none of them, either. There's lots more involved with Asperger's than just what's in that 'Arthur' clip I posted on the first page in this thread.

And though I'm sure you didn't mean to say it in this context, Asperger's is not, by any means, an "illness". Given that many people who have many or most of the 'symptoms' of it turn out to be quite intelligent and orderly, it's almost as if people who don't have it are the ones who are "handicapped". There's many different types of intelligence; social, perceptive, information-absorbing, information-retaining, talent, logical, etc., just going by how I see it.

And as for many of the symptoms or traits of Asperger's, some of them can actually disappear over time, whether they just go away on their own or the person controls it or adapts to it. A LOT more happens when somebody changes from a kid to an adult than just voice changes and excessive bodily hair growth.
AwkwardlyReversed

Postby AwkwardlyReversed » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:37 am

The illness comment was generic, not about Asperger's. It's most certainly not an illness, which actually is the reason why it doesn't go away or go into remission. It's basically a part of your personality, so obviously it changes with you.
Of course, you're right that everyone is different and with the autistic spectrum it's very difficult to even diagnose whether you have Asperger's or HFA and/or to which degree. My point is that there are people who suffer from it a lot and it hurts to see people think/say/act like it's not actually real. Of course, a person with paralysis, for instance, can be perfectly capable of everything if not more than the 'healthy' people around them. But it would be cruel to tell them "Dude, you can walk just like everyone else, you just need to quit pretending and try a little harder", which is what often happens when it comes to mental disorders.
I'm happy for the people on the spectrum that really don't suffer much from it. Who I'm worried about is the ones that have heavy symptoms that truly hinder everyday life. Telling those people to suck it up is just sadistic.
And to make it look like this isn't actually offtopic, what I'm hoping is that the episode doesn't add to the stereotypes. Because sometimes people watch this show like it's an educational/religious program that's supposed to teach you about life and stuff. And yes, I know you pointed out that most people with Asperger's that you know won't really care about the misrepresentation, but we obviously know very different people XD, and besides, whether the episode directly hurts someone or not, stereotypes just aren't cool.
Brendle

Postby Brendle » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:08 pm

Matt and Trey are old 40 year olds now, and they can't cope with this hectic 6-day schedule anymore like they could in their 20s/30s. It's no longer working in their favor and is actually a huge disadvantage now.

They need to take their time with episodes. Stop making shows in 6 days and actually think about what you're writing.
My name is Brendle, and I think Trey Parker is a genius.
HAcoreRD

Postby HAcoreRD » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:03 pm

Brendle wrote:Looks like South Park lifts all their jokes from the Internet these days.

How many times have people referred to Asperger's as Ass Burgers? Facepalm.

The word does sound like it, so it's not like Trey was browsing a web forum, read it and LOL'd and decided to make an episode on it. Well, i hope.

Matt and Trey didn't seem to put thought in the Stan angle over the break. Understandable, separating work from their actual life. If they do not rush to resolve Stan's disorder, they can drag it out all season for dramatics, plus to build other characters (due to Stan's slight absence). I'll be paying harder attention to Stan's side, hoping for Wendy to make the save.

Kyle and Eric may or maynot be friends. They shared a smile, and for 1 episode co-existed. If the show's current plot state showed me anything, it's that this can easily and quickly tumble down. Example being Randy/Sharon's marriage, which (looking back at it), had some good attention, and then BOOM, all gone. We all know Kyle's hot headed and Cartman's too dumb to keep his jew jokes holstered, two combustible elements. Plus in "prehistoric ice man" Stan and Kyle both agreed Cartman sucked as a best friend. Kyle's simply trying to fill the void, and he'll go back, considering Cartman need Kyle's negative energy (Smug Alert).
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:41 pm

Brendle wrote:Matt and Trey are old 40 year olds now, and they can't cope with this hectic 6-day schedule anymore like they could in their 20s/30s. It's no longer working in their favor and is actually a huge disadvantage now.

They need to take their time with episodes. Stop making shows in 6 days and actually think about what you're writing.

Good luck telling THEM that! :lol:
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
Stanluv25

Postby Stanluv25 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:46 pm

HAcoreRD wrote:
Brendle wrote:Looks like South Park lifts all their jokes from the Internet these days.

How many times have people referred to Asperger's as Ass Burgers? Facepalm.

The word does sound like it, so it's not like Trey was browsing a web forum, read it and LOL'd and decided to make an episode on it. Well, i hope.

Matt and Trey didn't seem to put thought in the Stan angle over the break. Understandable, separating work from their actual life. If they do not rush to resolve Stan's disorder, they can drag it out all season for dramatics, plus to build other characters (due to Stan's slight absence). I'll be paying harder attention to Stan's side, hoping for Wendy to make the save.

Kyle and Eric may or maynot be friends. They shared a smile, and for 1 episode co-existed. If the show's current plot state showed me anything, it's that this can easily and quickly tumble down. Example being Randy/Sharon's marriage, which (looking back at it), had some good attention, and then BOOM, all gone. We all know Kyle's hot headed and Cartman's too dumb to keep his jew jokes holstered, two combustible elements. Plus in "prehistoric ice man" Stan and Kyle both agreed Cartman sucked as a best friend. Kyle's simply trying to fill the void, and he'll go back, considering Cartman need Kyle's negative energy (Smug Alert).

That's what I'm wondering. Is Stan's life going to be resolved tomorrow or is it going to take time and go over the rest of the season? In that case it could make his role smaller if all he's doing is trying to find a cure. I really don't care how long it takes as long as Stan gets good screen time. So if he is back and happy by tomorrow I hope he still has big roles in upcoming episodes.

Sometimes I don't think M&T know their characters. Kyle and Cartman have hated each other since the beginning. So hopefully there are realistic intentions for Kyle to 'be on his side' in the eppy. They feed off each other's negativity as stated.

I just hope it's a good eppy and Cartman's story isn't too retarded like the Torette's thing or AIDs. Once again he goes about with some 'illness' and it's getting old. This better be fresh and tie into Stan's story or I'm going to be very upset indeed. :roll:
I love: Stan, Butters, Cartman, Sharon.

I ship: Stan/Cartman <3

Stan: MMOOMM!!
Sharon: What is it honey? (gasp!) My baby's killed again!
Haa, I love that line.
Zazaban

Postby Zazaban » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:49 pm

I'm actually considering not watching it, the title being taken from an overused internet pun does not promise good things. Though I want to find out what happens with Stan.
skurtz wrote:
nwt000 wrote:Get your trolling ass out of here!

I'm more friendlier drinking some espresso.

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”