*1508: Ass Burgers* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

southparkgirl19

Re: *1508: Ass Burgers* Post-Air Discussion

Postby southparkgirl19 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:23 pm

is anybody else kinda freaked out by Stan's alcoholism in the end? the episode would've been perfect if it wasn't for that. Stan's still unhappy, he's just taking a swig of whiskey and putting on a brave face. he can't even hang out with his friends without doing drugs. thanks for that matt and trey, I'm gonna go cry again. :cry:

I just hope things do reset next week and this whole alcohol thing is never spoken of again.
cynthia325

Postby cynthia325 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:38 pm

8shortfuse wrote:
ShaneHaughey wrote:I would respond to your post(which was very nice), but you would need to correct your belief that they are sick of the show since they have stated several times since the first run that they aren't.

^This

They have stated that it is what they love doing and it's their baby. They have no reason to lie about that.

^ Yes this agreed!
raidpirate52

Postby raidpirate52 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:46 pm

I really don't think they'll keep the "Stan's an alcoholic" thing. I think it was just a final second joke to end the episode. I highly doubt it will be mentioned/referenced ever again along with all the other wild things that happened in the last two episodes.
Stanluv25

Postby Stanluv25 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:55 pm

Children drinking alcohol is crossing the line for me. It just sucks that Stan was doing it as he was making such cute expressions while drunk and saying funny things and seeing him wobble like that and speak funny was, well, funny. But I'm still so against it!!

So... Stan 'developed' asperger's due to a flu shot?? I'm sorry but I don't buy that. I'm one of those people who are not against vaccinating children at all. There have been countless studies that vaccinating is not harmful or will cause problems in a child. So to blame Stan's condition on a flu shot is silly. They weren't even talking about flu shots! And boys get the HPV vaccine too. I've seen countless adds for them in my parenting magazines all the time.

So anyway... :)
I love: Stan, Butters, Cartman, Sharon.

I ship: Stan/Cartman <3

Stan: MMOOMM!!
Sharon: What is it honey? (gasp!) My baby's killed again!
Haa, I love that line.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:57 pm

southparkgirl19 wrote:is anybody else kinda freaked out by Stan's alcoholism in the end? the episode would've been perfect if it wasn't for that. Stan's still unhappy, he's just taking a swig of whiskey and putting on a brave face. he can't even hang out with his friends without doing drugs. thanks for that matt and trey, I'm gonna go cry again. :cry:

I just hope things do reset next week and this whole alcohol thing is never spoken of again.

You should know by now that they'll reset. Does anyone mention Stan's asthma at all? Kyle's bad kidneys? Wendy's psychotic moment back in season 1? :)
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
HAcoreRD

Postby HAcoreRD » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:15 pm

supermanl7osu wrote:just a thought.. Do yall think that maybe, just maybe, that they guys are trying to make sp bum people out so that they will stop watching? Kinda like Stan being a bummer has made his friends distance them selves from him.

I disagree. I think that if you watched it, and felt something for Stan, that's great writing. A good writer can make a viewer or reader feel for the character. How else are people supposed to care for someone unless they feel it?
sicguy

Postby sicguy » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:18 pm

can anyone tell me why i have in my head jimmy buffett singing ass burgers in paradise?
8)
Stanluv25

Postby Stanluv25 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:19 pm

Big-Will wrote:
southparkgirl19 wrote:is anybody else kinda freaked out by Stan's alcoholism in the end? the episode would've been perfect if it wasn't for that. Stan's still unhappy, he's just taking a swig of whiskey and putting on a brave face. he can't even hang out with his friends without doing drugs. thanks for that matt and trey, I'm gonna go cry again. :cry:

You should know by now that they'll reset. Does anyone mention Stan's asthma at all? Kyle's bad kidneys? Wendy's psychotic moment back in season 1? :)

I bring up Stan's asthma is every one of my SP fics! Wish it were mentioned again in the show though, I'd be soooo happy. I'm a sucker for detail. Apparently M&T forget the little things... :roll:
I love: Stan, Butters, Cartman, Sharon.

I ship: Stan/Cartman <3

Stan: MMOOMM!!
Sharon: What is it honey? (gasp!) My baby's killed again!
Haa, I love that line.
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:34 pm

triplemultiplex wrote:Seems to me the most likely outcome from this week is the South Park universe has been reset and there will be no mention of this week's events again. Next week will start with all four boys at the bus stop or whatever like nothing happened and they'll keep throwing the gang into situations pulled from current events and movies/shows. That's the impression I get from the end of Ass Burgers.

Yeah, me too. I really wish they would have dragged... drugged... drigdi-did... this whole thing out through the rest of the run, and resolved it all in the season finale. That'd leave Stan to do a bunch of stuff and realize that being friends with Kyle and hanging out with the fatass and Kenny isn't quite as bad as he thought, and it'd give Sharon and Randy time to work things out rather than just... well, settling.
scRaTcH#667

Postby scRaTcH#667 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Stanluv25 wrote:Children drinking alcohol is crossing the line for me. It just sucks that Stan was doing it as he was making such cute expressions while drunk and saying funny things and seeing him wobble like that and speak funny was, well, funny. But I'm still so against it!!

Seriosly? :lol: I recall countless moments of Butters and Cartman being sexually abused by gay men, first episode of this season Kyle was lip-sewed onto a chinesse guy's anus and being shited straight into his mouth, all of the main boys had experimented with various drugs before (Major Boobage, Quest for ratings, Smug Alert,..) and this all is allright and acceptable, but when a 10 year old Stan drinks some alcohol, it's over the line? No taunt intended, but do you know how silly this sounds from a South Park fan? :D
Leelastears

Postby Leelastears » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:12 pm

I'm not even sure what to say except- DAMN that was deep, and on multiple levels. It had funny moments but I'm left feeling sad for Stan. I think they did a good job with this one. Strangely mirrors when I got all jaded and depressed in high school and started drinking. Poor Stan. I'm interested to see where the show takes off from here. Will it really be business as usual?
Ze Mole: "Careful? Was my mother careful when she stabbed me in the heart with a clothes hanger while I was still in the womb?"
kalbahamut

Postby kalbahamut » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:26 pm

ShaneHaughey wrote:I would respond to your post(which was very nice), but you would need to correct your belief that they are sick of the show since they have stated several times since the first run that they aren't.

I'm not correcting anything. :P

Yes of course they love the show and consider it their baby (the object of their creative output which they regard with affection).

But they have also stated that a show shouldn't go past 100 episodes, they've stated many times that they have or are running out of ideas, and they have also stated (many times recently) that they would like to branch out and do other things. Many times in interviews and commentaries they talk about how tiring working on the show is and how when they are under the gun to come up with an idea in 6 days how difficult and stressful this can be. Listening to interviews/commentaries and also just watching the show the past few seasons you can tell that this gets harder and harder as the years go on and the use up more and more ideas. They have also implied heavily in the last couple episodes that they are tired of doing the show.

Now... that last part may have been a misinterpretation on my part. I don't think it is. But if I am right, these two things are not mutually exclusive. They could love the show and regard it as their baby and still be sick of doing it or want to try other things for a change. They could even enjoy working on the show still and be able to recognize that they are out of good ideas.

What I said and what you said could both be perfectly true. They don't cancel each other out.
stevesut1

Postby stevesut1 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:34 pm

Glad to see that things were resolved. Enjoyed the episode.
kalbahamut

Postby kalbahamut » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:37 pm

Stanluv25 wrote:So... Stan 'developed' asperger's due to a flu shot??

This was obviously a joke.

1. he didn't really have asperger's
2. in the context of the episode, asperger's was a fake syndrome anyway
3. Mr. Mackey diagnosed him based on no evidence at all. Just the fact that he had a flu shot one year prior... this is obviously poking fun at people who say that vaccinations cause mental retardation. They have absolutely no evidence that this is true, they are just imagining causality without demonstrating it scientifically.

It's like when they diagnosed every kid in the school with ADD because they couldn't pay attention to The Grapes of Wrath. The message here was not: "every child has ADD and should be on ritalin"... it was the opposite: "ADD is overdiagnosed."

Often characters in South Park do and say things, in stupidity, and the message is clearly meant to be the opposite of whatever those characters did or said. This is a good example of that. You didn't see that???
UhhIDontKnow

Postby UhhIDontKnow » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:48 pm

Big-Will wrote:

Keenee stopped huffing cat pee too and that was a much more serious problem. Although Stan's comes from an issue that has spanned 2 episodes so far, think it's sort of in new territory.

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”