*1604: Jewpacabra* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

Stanluv25
Posts: 2832
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:32 am

Re: *1604: Jewpacabra* Post-Air Discussion

Postby Stanluv25 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:32 pm

RichardV1150 wrote:I would love to elaborate on some people's thoughts on this episode, but I'd rather just say some people just want too much, they don't get what they want and whine about it like baby's, ha!

I'd give this a 60/40 split for the audiences happiness, 60 like, 40 dislike, but that's only cause the story line was good, but their was a lacking of stupid jokes. Face it people, Eric T. Cartman may not stay a Jew, but he sure does love Kyle, platonically speaking of course. Haven't any of you ever seen a great show or read a good book? Some of the greatest and most powerful pieces of writing have involved long-time enemies becoming friends! It makes for good storytelling! :)

South Park isn't always out to make you laugh ya know! It's designed to make you think, although others try to put their words in it's mouth and distort it's meaning, calling it libertarian, conservative, left-wing, right-wing. Stop looking for deeper meaning! :? I guess you could say South Park is a resilient show, one that takes one side one day, only to take the other the next.

Next episode don't just look for what you should be laughing at, but what you should take away from the show and learn from.

I guess this week's teachings taught us you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, it might just be stupider than you think! :lol:



I actually have yet to read a story or see a show where two enemies become friends. I don't think it's the greatest story idea. Some people work better hating each other. That's Cartman and Kyle. I cannot for the life of me see them friendly without wanting to vomit. I don't get it because Cartman and Stan are much more friendlier than those two, I wish they spent more time elaborating on that and having those two become closer. It makes more sense.

I guess part of why it was hard to like this ep was it's hard to relate to it. I'm atheist and even though I know the general story of Christmas and Easter, I don't care. So seeing biblical times bores me. I can never relate to Kyle period so I don't care much for episodes around him. Episodes to make you think is fine. Kenny Dies made me think. We all know YGO made us think. But the stories held my attention. Death of a child and divorce of two parents and their child depressive, holds my attention. Passover... not so much.

Even though SP doesn't need to make us LOL, it still should give me something to laugh at. This gave me nothing to laugh at.
I love: Stan, Butters, Cartman, Sharon.

I ship: Stan/Cartman <3

Stan: MMOOMM!!
Sharon: What is it honey? (gasp!) My baby's killed again!
Haa, I love that line.
gretto
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:08 pm

Re: *1604: Jewpacabra* Post-Air Discussion

Postby gretto » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:29 pm

From a long time admirer and follower: this Season sucks. It's tasteless. Too few good ideas in each of these new episodes.

And I absolutely loved some e. from the previous season, so I'm not one of those j*rks who just like things of old, as a sport

Trey & matt: do something, take a vacation, return when you'll be inspired again. SP deserves more.
mo303564
Posts: 1511
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:36 pm

Re: *1604: Jewpacabra* Post-Air Discussion

Postby mo303564 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:30 pm

I enjoyed this episode! :D

Loved all the "Heven" comments. So happy that Kyle first ignored Carmtman, then to have Butters call him one at the end.... :lol:

Really good *and true* story about the Passover. Hell, I even learned a bit more than what I knew before (I did know that an angel killed the first born for not doing gods commands....even though they all just blew up here)

So...who is Cartman's father?? :shock: We now have a face....but no name, and no idenity of what he does today :o

Bobo=Funny!! :lol: 8)

8.7/10.

-It was pretty good, not a top favorite but definately best so far this season. The only other thing I have to mention is Trey Parker...what happened to his voice during this episode?? :shock: Cartman's voice was off for a few seconds near the beginning, and then at the end what was up with Kyle sounding...like Craig! :craig:
Last edited by mo303564 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RTL: I love being a dick to people for no reason. It makes me feel better about how my mom smacks me around with a frozen T Bone steak.
mo303564
Posts: 1511
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:36 pm

Re: *1604: Jewpacabra* Post-Air Discussion

Postby mo303564 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:38 pm

Not to doublepost:

I get pissed off at people who denounce people's faith. Cartman is a dumbass. He shouldn't have tried to get butters to believe that "Jesus is a lie!" I am thrilled that in the end he put Cartman in his f*ckin place. Kyle just played around with it....I mean, seriously, do anybody here actually believe that Cartman was being truthful about being Jewish?!? NO!!

Cartman was believing he was Jewish because he had faith in this "Jewbacabra" bullsh*t. So much so, that he actually though it was real...like Bigfoot, the Lockness Monster, and MANBEARPIG!! :mrgreen:

So him getting tied up as a 'sacrifice' and getting him scared to his britches only to be SAVED by Kyle was awesome!! :) It showed that Kyle has feelings for Cartman, even though everyone knows he is a complete retard. :twisted:

Easter and Passover are both VERY sacreligious holidays. I'm sorry to people who are offended by both, but I don't give a f*ck what you think because they are our beliefs and what we believe is right, and what truly happened. I respect both, but have no respect to the people who blast either or.....sorry.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lol. was a fantasic line. "Jesus loves me. The Republicans told me so." :lol: :P
Last edited by mo303564 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RTL: I love being a dick to people for no reason. It makes me feel better about how my mom smacks me around with a frozen T Bone steak.
Mamont
Posts: 2411
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:52 pm

Re: *1604: Jewpacabra* Post-Air Discussion

Postby Mamont » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:40 pm

mo303564 wrote:So...who is Cartman's father?? :shock: We now have a face....but no name, and no idenity of what he does today :o

Scot Tenorman's dad is Cartman's dad. Remember? This was a dream.
AngusMcTavish
Posts: 8959
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:52 am

Re: *1604: Jewpacabra* Post-Air Discussion

Postby AngusMcTavish » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:54 pm

JerWu17 wrote:I think some of you are looking too deeply into Cartman's "conversion". What did you expect him to do at the end? Say that Jews are heartless lamb killers? Then Butters would not had the chance to call him a heathen! haha...

What Cartman did is no different from when he hugged Kyle for inadvertantly saving him from going on Dateline. Don't worry, Cartman never learns his lessons. Give it a week and he'll forget all about it and go back to his anti-Semetic ways. It's a part of him that's just too good for M&T to drop outright.

Good points.
99 i fail
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:42 pm

Re: *1604: Jewpacabra* Post-Air Discussion

Postby 99 i fail » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:55 pm

This episode was partially funny in the beginning, and got really old by the end.

I don't know what they'll do with the end's theme. I already talked about that in my post on page 2. I think it'll just revert to 'normal' like always. That's sort of inevitable.

My cynical 2 cents (more like 20!) on the last few seasons:
Ever since CBAA last season, it seems like they are trying to force Kyle and Cartman together.

Also what is comedy? It's like all the producers of all these "comedy" shows forgot what "comedy" really meant. Comedy is where you are supposed to laugh from the opening the end, in the rising action, in the climax, and in every movement, every piece of dialogue, and heck, event the surroundings. Everything is supposed to be funny from beginning to end, and a 10/10 (or 11/10) episode is so funny that you can watch it again and again, and it's still funny as heck.

Is there any drama? Did I say drama? No. If it's funny drama, it's okay. But if it's not funny, and more like a downright drama show, then no.

And also, as 98% of you know, South Park is continued through Season 20, so stop acting like it's going to end after the mid-season finale. Will it continue after then? At this appalling downwards rate, probably not. But if 16B and beyond is stellar, then maybe. Or if the network simply wants more money.
If you don't like the direction SP's going in, quit watching.There's nothing we could do about it, unless you're producer or higher in the authority chain.And they won't listen to fan ideas.It's not worth your time to only hate.
benjithekid
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:06 am

Re: *1604: Jewpacabra* Post-Air Discussion

Postby benjithekid » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:29 pm

Jewish Cartman. Now I've seen everything. I can't help but wonder if they'll keep to that plot, or if this will be one of those things that occurs in cartoons but is never spoken of again after the episode. When he said that he genuinely believed in Kyle's faith, I got an image of him ripping on Stan and Kenny for being Christian. I'm not sure I like that idea, but it could be funny if they stick to it.

That said, this episode was actually pretty decent. I didn't have high hopes for it as Easter specials tend to not be my thing, but it was pretty funny. I love how Cartman seemed so serious in the beginning. Anyone who doesn't know what fatass is really like might have thought he really believed in Jewbacabra and wasn't just making it up. However, the look on his face when those dumb cryptozoologists determined that the thing in the picture must be a Jewbacabra was priceless. There were a few good laugh moments. My favorite line had to be "Jesus loves me this I know, because the Republicans tell me so." I literally lol'd.

I've been losing my faith in South Park. The other episodes for this season just weren't doing it for me. This episode - while still not what I would call "classic South Park" - was pretty decent and showed that the potential is still there. And anyway, even though South Park has changed... I'll watch whatever episode they spit out. Because that's just what fans do, lol
icenick
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 10:01 pm

Re: *1604: Jewpacabra* Post-Air Discussion

Postby icenick » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:36 pm

EDIT
Last edited by icenick on Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
triplemultiplex
Posts: 6121
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:24 am

Re: *1604: Jewpacabra* Post-Air Discussion

Postby triplemultiplex » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:41 pm

RichardV1150 wrote:I actually have yet to read a story or see a show where two enemies become friends. I don't think it's the greatest story idea.


Netflicks this movie:
Image

And what about Star Trek? The Klingons go from enemies to allies in Star Trek 6.


I found the dialogue between Cartman and Pharaoh in his tranquilizer-fueled Exodus dream very good in the context of the series as a whole. Over the years, the absence of a father for Cartman comes up a lot and I think most would agree is a major factor in why he's such an asshole. Then he finds out who his dad really is and it turns out, he's dead; his death facilitated by Cartman himself. So he's never known his father.

For Cartman to be talking to his "father" in that dream and each saying they love each other, that's some deep psychological shit right there. It adds a whole other level to his religious epiphany.
I also liked that they both expressed concern about the frogs. I liked frogs when I was a kid (still do; I know all the species around here) and I've always resented the idea that frogs were a bad thing for God to plague Egypt with. I'd have been like, "Cool, look at all the frogs! Get me a bucket!".

After watching it again this afternoon, I have to repeat my initial admiration for the nighttime scene in the park with Cartman chained up in a bunny suit. Those festive decorations on all of the light poles in the park turned into super creepy, ghoulish presences once the same scene was lit for night. The lights become weird-looking heads and the streamers become tattered limbs. That was really genius and had me guessing as to whether or not they would make the Jewpacabre real like the celebrity ghosts or the inter-dimensional pilgrims from episodes past.

One more funny point about the title creature. Obviously, it's a take on the fake creature, the Chupacabre, and some people's pronunciation of one might sound like the other. Chupacabre is Spanish for "goat sucker" (chupa = suck; cabra = goat), so a Jewpacabre would be a "Jew goat." So there's another laugh for y'all.
__________________________________________________

You read it! You can't unread it!
prochut
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:03 am

Re: *1604: Jewpacabra* Post-Air Discussion

Postby prochut » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:00 pm

This is hard for me to post, cause usually I can find the good even in episodes people normally hate (I still think "Britney's New Look" is funny and "Lice Capades" still makes me laugh for the Nicholas Cage-styled louse). But last night's episode was probably the weakest holiday episode South Park has ever put out. It was completely unfocused. Suddenly, Cartman decides he wants to become Jewish at the end? That may make a great series finale, but everything up to this point since the series began has pointed to the fact that he is an anti-semitic a**hole. It just felt like lazy writing, which is okay for Family Guy, but Matt, Trey, and the rest of the staff are capable of so much more. If they had the kids square off for Easter Eggs in the style of Hunger Games, for example, they could have had a great episode. I get the reference to Troll Hunter, and I know they were ripping on Monster Hunters, but wasn't the whole "reality ghost/monster hunters are morons" thing covered back in "Dead Celebrities?" I'm just hoping they rebound next week (Game of Thrones parody, maybe?), but it's just sad to see last night's episode since the holiday episodes are usually where this show shines.
raidpirate52
Posts: 158
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:11 pm

Re: *1604: Jewpacabra* Post-Air Discussion

Postby raidpirate52 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:02 pm

That's Cartman and Kyle. I cannot for the life of me see them friendly without wanting to vomit. I don't get it because Cartman and Stan are much more friendlier than those two, I wish they spent more time elaborating on that and having those two become closer. It makes more sense.


I think the reason we don't see much Cartman and Stan is the reason we don't get much Kyle and Kenny 1 on 1. They're both voiced by the same person. I guess they don't want a real extended conversation with themselves unless actually needed, like Randy/Stan. So I think that may be why they really like to focus on relations with people other than just oneself. Like Stan/Kyle; Cartman/Kyle; and Cartman/Butters.

Also, I know you REALLY like the Stan/Cartman ship, but I'm sorry, it's just as flawed out as Kyle/Cartman. There are more times Stan is against Cartman (yes even without Kyle's presence) than when the two get along alone. I don't think they'd have anything to fall on and actually make an interesting episode on just those two.
NeuroHeart
Posts: 875
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:00 pm

Re: *1604: Jewpacabra* Post-Air Discussion

Postby NeuroHeart » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:14 pm

99 i fail wrote:Also what is comedy? It's like all the producers of all these "comedy" shows forgot what "comedy" really meant. Comedy is where you are supposed to laugh from the opening the end, in the rising action, in the climax, and in every movement, every piece of dialogue, and heck, event the surroundings. Everything is supposed to be funny from beginning to end

Uh, no actually. "Comedy" is defined thusly: a play, movie, etc., of light and humorous character with a happy or cheerful ending; a dramatic work in which the central motif is the triumph over adverse circumstance, resulting in a successful or happy conclusion; the comic element of drama, of literature generally, or of life; any literary composition dealing with a theme suitable for comedy, or employing the methods of comedy; any comic or humorous incident or series of incidents.
It just means there's a happy ending, or that there are humorous incidents. Like, you'll notice that "romantic comedy" is still a term, and most of them aren't funny, but they have happy endings and so they fulfill the definition of a comedy. Comedy can include laughter (the humorous incident thing, as I said) but by strict definition (what it really means, as you say) it does not have to. Likewise, something can be hilarious and still be defined as a tragedy if someone dies at the end.

...Also, this episode was funny.
To believe in something just because you're afraid of the consequences if you don't believe in something is no reason to believe in something.
treystone
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:37 pm

Re: *1604: Jewpacabra* Post-Air Discussion

Postby treystone » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:00 pm

Seems to me the people who disliked this episode don't understand subtle and sophisticated humor. Or maybe your brain can only comprehend toilet humor and rehashed jokes that consist of constant swearing. This episode had a great plot that didn't follow your typical SP storyline. I love the fact that they didn't show that there wasn't an actual jewbacabra or that cartman's sudden jewish conversion didn't reveal some sort of "gotacha" moment. These unexpected elements prove that trey and matt can still screw with people's minds and keep the audience guessing. Those of you who complain about the show's lack of constant humor should really stop watching SP and leave it to those of us who appreciate it for what it is. There is a level of depth to SP that only a certain number of people will get and understand.
JVM
Posts: 1076
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:34 am

Re: *1604: Jewpacabra* Post-Air Discussion

Postby JVM » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:04 pm

The two main prevailing opinions.

1) OMG THE SHOW IS BREAKING FORMULA AND CHANGING AND EVERYTHING'S GOING TO BE DIFFERENT FROM NOW ON

2) This season hasn't been funny at all and this episode sucked and the whole show is obviously trying too hard to be super dramatic.

Both of these opinions are on two very extreme and incorrect ends.

First off - South Park isn't changing, people. Kenny died "permanently", he came back. The kids had a new teacher, she died and the old one came back. Stan's parents divorced twice, got back together both times. Stan and Wendy broke up, they got back together. "Sometimes the best thing to do is just stick with what you know" - eventually, Cartman will be reset back to his original state. The only reason Chef hasn't come back is probably because Isaac Hayes left the show.

Second off, the show isn't getting overly focused on political commentary, or drama, or any of that like people keep claiming. There's been as much political commentary this season as there's been since 2002, it's been an integral part of the formula for years. As for the decline in humor, but it's not that the show isn't humorous anymore - there were a ton of jokes this week, last week, all season. They just haven't been massively funny. Nor were the first couple episodes of Season 14 or Season 15, though.

If Matt and Trey actually cared about being dramatic, Stan's parents would still be divorced, or at least have taken their sweet time instead of "WE WORKED IT OUT, PAL, SURPRISE!"
South Park is a platform for Matt and Trey's social commentary and satire; there is no canon and these characters only serve as tools for self-expression. Don't get attached.

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests