*1607: Cartman Finds Love* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

HAcoreRD
Posts: 644
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:28 pm

Re: *1607: Cartman Finds Love* Post-Air Discussion

Postby HAcoreRD » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:22 am

True, but Cartman in a sense killed Kyle's first chance at a love interest since Rebecca Cotswolds. That was 13 seasons ago. Worst part was, she had interest in him until Cartman intervened, so he had a good chance. He should've got some measure of revenge, even if it was having that girl at the end meet Cartman (Ironic Revenge).
Brendle
Posts: 583
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:26 pm

Re: *1607: Cartman Finds Love* Post-Air Discussion

Postby Brendle » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:30 am

MrMcKenzie wrote:Seriously. That was, in my opinion, the worst episode ever. Period. It felt more like '7th Heaven' than South Park. It didn't seem as if they were even trying to be funny. I'm not sure if I will watch the second half of this season at all, if it's going in that direction. An f*ing preachy soap opera.

If you actually think the drama/romance in this episode was non-ironic and serious (like it is in 7th Heaven), then sorry, but you're an idiot.

You actually think the show has become a soap opera. That's unreal. You ACTUALLY think Cartman was crying because he genuinely cared about romance, and not because he was upset that his ideal world of racial segregation was destroyed...because his idiotic racism is FUNNY.

Cartman acting like he's gay with Kyle...nope, no attempts at humor there. There's no irony there. An entire stadium clearing out just because an 8 year old boy says there's a Batmobile outside...nope, that wasn't meant to be funny either. They weren't even trying to be funny in any second of this episode.

You've missed the mark more than Michael Bay when he made Pearl Harbor.
My name is Brendle, and I think Trey Parker is a genius.
Lyon82
Posts: 142
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:14 pm

Re: *1607: Cartman Finds Love* Post-Air Discussion

Postby Lyon82 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:33 am

SajiNoKami wrote:There are some people talking about being disappointed that Kyle did not get revenge. In the past anytime Kyle needs to get revenge on Eric, he usually has to stoop to Eric's level to do it and the few episodes i remember Kyle going there, becoming more like Eric, always ended badly for Kyle. Usually the result helps or makes Eric happy, in other cases, it put Kyle's world in danger. He will have to plan very carefully in a future episode for revenge, which would make him even more like Eric or he needs to just get over it and move on, which would make him less like Eric.


When Kyle actively plans revenge it never fares well for him and he veers into murky waters on the moral frontier. Of course, given the right motivations they've always been shown as not being nearly as far apart as they would like to think.

However, he's also a ten year old with a hell of a temper and has been shown repeatedly as being unafraid of letting a fist do the dirty work. It's not like he hasn't gone to blows with Cartman multiple times in the past, and he usually fares better in a fight than his more elaborate schemes. He was at that point at the school rumors before Cartman humiliated him in front of thousands.

Actually it would have been nice to see a good old punch to the face because Kyle's been stuck playing the moral guardian to everyone this season. Ten year olds get into fights and drop all pretense of right and wrong when rubbed the wrong way.

Cartman got a taste of comeuppance, but it needs to come from the wronged party for it to really feel like justice. That's one of those quirks in storytelling that have a degree of universal truth. Of course there is divine intervention as an option, but this one kinda called for at least a good wallop given the sequence of events. It would have given some degree of closure to the ep.
djongpoy
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:12 am

Re: *1607: Cartman Finds Love* Post-Air Discussion

Postby djongpoy » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:22 am

I love this ep. yet I felt that this season focused more on degrading stan and making him look like an a**hole. I was really hoping that maybe they would have done an ep. on Stan breaking up with Wendy and then he falls in love with Kyle.

I've noticed that this season has made Stan look more of a jerk than a friend. Usually Stan and Kyle are the more normal people in SP.
Yet Kenny and Cartman are below or above normal.

I know gay fanfic is funny, but T&M answered all those gay pairing fans with this ep. to attract more on Cartman's insanity. Cupid Me was just too much to handle I burst laughing. :mrgreen:

Just one thing bothers me. In all SP ep. not one ep. explains why Cartman is insane (maybe its because he has no father figure or maybe a hidden trauma) I just really wish an ep. explains the cause of all his crazy antics
SajiNoKami
Posts: 84
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:06 am

Re: *1607: Cartman Finds Love* Post-Air Discussion

Postby SajiNoKami » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:12 am

Lyon82 wrote: Of course there is divine intervention as an option, but this one kinda called for at least a good wallop given the sequence of events. It would have given some degree of closure to the ep.


Kyle did hit Eric once already during the episode and we already seen them fight and know Kyle can kick Eric's ass when necessary, so I don't think a beat down would not have really worked in this case. It just doesn't have the necessary sting. I personally would like to see Kyle really get back at Eric, because I do like when Kyle becomes more like Eric. But the fact Kyle just walked off angry, after telling Nichole the truth and he is not seen again, does leave a mystery, which could be the cliffhanger of the episode. I will admit, I will be annoyed if the episode is not at least mentioned next fall, even if it is just Kyle admitting defeat before he moves on to the next adventure.

djongpoy wrote:Just one thing bothers me. In all SP ep. not one ep. explains why Cartman is insane (maybe its because he has no father figure or maybe a hidden trauma) I just really wish an ep. explains the cause of all his crazy antics


I would like to see this explored further.
Way back in the beginning during Damian, Pip mentions that Eric is made fun of and bully by the other boys, until Eric bullied him and the other boys followed suit. Then Eric became part of the 4 [a group everyone hates based on Craig's statement during Pandemic]. This probably helped in pushing Eric to strange places. [Preschool, kind of killed the Eric being bullied thing tho].
There never has been any sort of explanation for the way Eric is, not having a dad, just does not cut it. Then the trauma he has just been through during the show could be enough, but really most of it just bounces off. I think he may just be actually sick and all his bigotry just came from his mother, parroting the things she would say, she made him that first Hitler costume and he had no idea who Hitler even was. I hate to say this, but it really does seem to be Eric's mother who started this kid rolling.
---
Was telling an associate about this episode today.
Associate: The characters/stories are far more complex than people give them credit for..
Me: Well I think people just think of the first few episodes, where they were just little kids. But now they are really developed, almost adult like characters.. almost the 25-28 somethings they should be.
Last edited by SajiNoKami on Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://sajinokami.com/

formally sage_emerald
NeuroHeart
Posts: 875
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:00 pm

Re: *1607: Cartman Finds Love* Post-Air Discussion

Postby NeuroHeart » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:21 am

SajiNoKami wrote:But the fact Kyle just walked off angry, after telling Nichole the truth and he is not seen again, does leave a mystery...

I got the impression that he wasn't walking off so much as he was setting out to hunt Cartman down. I presumed that Cartman left the camera room before Kyle could find him.
To believe in something just because you're afraid of the consequences if you don't believe in something is no reason to believe in something.
Big-Will
Board Moderator
Posts: 18830
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 8:57 am

Re: *1607: Cartman Finds Love* Post-Air Discussion

Postby Big-Will » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:37 am

I assume Kyle just got swept out with the rest of the crowd while Token and Nichole just found each other, the lucky stroke of randomness Cartman was praying for. Surely Cartman had this all planned out (even if he thought it up on the way to the Pepsi Center), but it had to work, and there was no guarantee of that.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
francisjairam121
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:27 pm

Re: *1607: Cartman Finds Love* Post-Air Discussion

Postby francisjairam121 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:09 am

Wow this episode was cute and funny. I finally got to see Wendy, Red, Lola, and Bebe talking. Nicole is a pretty girl and she is good for Token. Too bad that Kyle was jealous because he wanted to date her. But then Cartman pissed Kyle off because he said that him and Kyle were lovers which makes it sound weird. But yeah this episode was better than the last one. I will give this a 9.0/10
Can't wait for the next half of Season 16.
djongpoy
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:12 am

Re: *1607: Cartman Finds Love* Post-Air Discussion

Postby djongpoy » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:20 am

djongpoy wrote:Just one thing bothers me. In all SP ep. not one ep. explains why Cartman is insane (maybe its because he has no father figure or maybe a hidden trauma) I just really wish an ep. explains the cause of all his crazy antics


[quote="SajiNoKami"]
I would like to see this explored further.
Way back in the beginning during Damian, Pip mentions that Eric is made fun of and bully by the other boys, until Eric bullied him and the other boys followed suit. Then Eric became part of the 4 [a group everyone hates based on Craig's statement during Pandemic]. This probably helped in pushing Eric to strange places. [Preschool, kind of killed the Eric being bullied thing tho].
There never has been any sort of explanation for the way Eric is, not having a dad, just does not cut it. Then the trauma he has just been through during the show could be enough, but really most of it just bounces off. I think he may just be actually sick and all his bigotry just came from his mother, parroting the things she would say, she made him that first Hitler costume and he had no idea who Hitler even was. I hate to say this, but it really does seem to be Eric's mother who started this kid rolling.


I wouldn't really think so. Because in SP all kinds of supernatural crap happens! I could theorize that Cartman is the reincarnation of Hitler or some other racist. Or maybe his pregnant mother had sex with a racist demon from another dimension who implanted the seeds of racism and bigotry in his soul! Or an even more extreme theory is that Cartman was molested in the past by several foreigners of all races and that trauma caused a him amnesia to block out part of his memories and that somehow causes him to go down the road of racism and bigotry subconsciously!

Well see what M&T make up.
Brendle
Posts: 583
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:26 pm

Re: *1607: Cartman Finds Love* Post-Air Discussion

Postby Brendle » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:29 am

Actually, Matt and Trey say that The Dog Whisperer episode is a good explanation for why Cartman is as deranged as he is. No, he doesn't have a father...but he doesn't have a mother. He has a woman in his house that tries to be his friend and lets him do whatever he wants.

When you have no authority figure, you become a f*cked up little kid.
My name is Brendle, and I think Trey Parker is a genius.
MrMcKenzie
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:18 pm

Re: *1607: Cartman Finds Love* Post-Air Discussion

Postby MrMcKenzie » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:48 am

Brendle wrote:
MrMcKenzie wrote:Seriously. That was, in my opinion, the worst episode ever. Period. It felt more like '7th Heaven' than South Park. It didn't seem as if they were even trying to be funny. I'm not sure if I will watch the second half of this season at all, if it's going in that direction. An f*ing preachy soap opera.

If you actually think the drama/romance in this episode was non-ironic and serious (like it is in 7th Heaven), then sorry, but you're an idiot.

You actually think the show has become a soap opera. That's unreal. You ACTUALLY think Cartman was crying because he genuinely cared about romance, and not because he was upset that his ideal world of racial segregation was destroyed...because his idiotic racism is FUNNY.

Cartman acting like he's gay with Kyle...nope, no attempts at humor there. There's no irony there. An entire stadium clearing out just because an 8 year old boy says there's a Batmobile outside...nope, that wasn't meant to be funny either. They weren't even trying to be funny in any second of this episode.

You've missed the mark more than Michael Bay when he made Pearl Harbor.


I did understand the intentions. Of course M&T wouldn't actually make a "7th Heaven".
But the point is, it doesn't work anymore. Compare this episode to 'Raisins', there's a totally different idea of irony.

Let's take the Game Of Thrones reference as an example: It simply wasn't funny. There was no gag, just Garrison explaining a few words about the Starks and Lannisters. That is a wasted chance. Especially the incestual Lannisters would have made a great target for some ironic statement from Garrison back in the days. But now? It's just there, because GoT is popular, so they thought it would be a good idea to put it in. But obviously they had no idea what to further do with it. And that is what happens very often in SP nowadays, at least it feels so for me.

And please, don't get on such a low communication level ("idiot"), do we really need that? Still, the Team America reference was just my taste ;)
komninosm
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: *1607: Cartman Finds Love* Post-Air Discussion

Postby komninosm » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:59 am

Awesome episode, I just kept laughing and laughing at the silliness and the Game of Thrones part was just epic too!
djongpoy
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:12 am

Re: *1607: Cartman Finds Love* Post-Air Discussion

Postby djongpoy » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:15 am

Brendle wrote:Actually, Matt and Trey say that The Dog Whisperer episode is a good explanation for why Cartman is as deranged as he is. No, he doesn't have a father...but he doesn't have a mother. He has a woman in his house that tries to be his friend and lets him do whatever he wants.

When you have no authority figure, you become a f*cked up little kid.


I don't think that's enough to explain his insanity. Does he have a multiple personality disorder or something?

For crying out loud he threatens to kill jews, killed his father and didn't feel sorry about it, talks to stuffed animals like they were alive and now has an imaginary friend called cupid me.

M&T should really explore more on what makes Cartman who he is. All the past ep. barely hit the mark on the totality of his mind. They should really make an ep. with him having an interview with a psychiatrist
Brendle
Posts: 583
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:26 pm

Re: *1607: Cartman Finds Love* Post-Air Discussion

Postby Brendle » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:31 am

MrMcKenzie wrote:
Brendle wrote:
MrMcKenzie wrote:Seriously. That was, in my opinion, the worst episode ever. Period. It felt more like '7th Heaven' than South Park. It didn't seem as if they were even trying to be funny. I'm not sure if I will watch the second half of this season at all, if it's going in that direction. An f*ing preachy soap opera.

If you actually think the drama/romance in this episode was non-ironic and serious (like it is in 7th Heaven), then sorry, but you're an idiot.

You actually think the show has become a soap opera. That's unreal. You ACTUALLY think Cartman was crying because he genuinely cared about romance, and not because he was upset that his ideal world of racial segregation was destroyed...because his idiotic racism is FUNNY.

Cartman acting like he's gay with Kyle...nope, no attempts at humor there. There's no irony there. An entire stadium clearing out just because an 8 year old boy says there's a Batmobile outside...nope, that wasn't meant to be funny either. They weren't even trying to be funny in any second of this episode.

You've missed the mark more than Michael Bay when he made Pearl Harbor.


I did understand the intentions. Of course M&T wouldn't actually make a "7th Heaven".
But the point is, it doesn't work anymore. Compare this episode to 'Raisins', there's a totally different idea of irony.

Let's take the Game Of Thrones reference as an example: It simply wasn't funny. There was no gag, just Garrison explaining a few words about the Starks and Lannisters. That is a wasted chance. Especially the incestual Lannisters would have made a great target for some ironic statement from Garrison back in the days. But now? It's just there, because GoT is popular, so they thought it would be a good idea to put it in. But obviously they had no idea what to further do with it. And that is what happens very often in SP nowadays, at least it feels so for me.

And please, don't get on such a low communication level ("idiot"), do we really need that? Still, the Team America reference was just my taste ;)

The insult was conditional. I was only calling you an idiot IF you thought there was no irony in the episode. It turns out you didn't. You're clearly NOT an idiot, judging from your reply to me.

Your attack on the GoT reference is unfounded IMO, since it was just a throwaway gag in the background while the REAL joke plays out (Cartman trying to court Nicole and Token in classroom). Trey just thought he'd make Garrison say something mildly amusing, because his voice is just filler in the background.

And the joke of the gag is that Garrison is indulging in his own love for Game of Thrones by talking about it in great detail, rather than doing his job and teaching the children valuable things.

The main reason I responded to you (regrettably harsh though) was because you said they "weren't trying to be funny." There is a mountain of evidence to suggest they were.
My name is Brendle, and I think Trey Parker is a genius.
Brendle
Posts: 583
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:26 pm

Re: *1607: Cartman Finds Love* Post-Air Discussion

Postby Brendle » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:39 am

djongpoy wrote:M&T should really explore more on what makes Cartman who he is. All the past ep. barely hit the mark on the totality of his mind. They should really make an ep. with him having an interview with a psychiatrist

They did. It ended with Cartman framing the psychiatrist for underage sex, and making his wife kill herself.
My name is Brendle, and I think Trey Parker is a genius.

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests