*1607: Cartman Finds Love* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

DjGamePlaya

Re: *1607: Cartman Finds Love* Post-Air Discussion

Postby DjGamePlaya » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:31 am

JVM wrote:As usual, Matt and Trey serve up an absolutely fantastic first and second act, building up towards a finale... that ends up falling flat on it's face.

All the more painful to me since, you know, in four months Nichole's going to be gone and forgotten just like Rebecca Cotswolds, Kelly, Tammy Warner, Sally Darson, Patty Nelson, and every other major love interest character.

If this was part of a run, I definitely wouldn't be tuning in next week, but God knows in four months, like the pussy I am, I'm going to have forgiven everything and be watching again.

Didn't like it, eh? I thought the whole episode was hilarious, especially the 3rd act. By far, this has been one of the best episodes of the season. The character interaction was amazing and Cartman's insane antics were, as usual, hilarious. Even if Nichole drifts in the the background, I'm sure we'll get to see more of her in the future, even if it is just in the background.
m1carbine6644

Postby m1carbine6644 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:35 am

Okay, some insane speculation here, so this is what I took away from the episode;

1. Cartman (as far as we know in canon) isn't gay, he's manipulative. He was obviously out to piss off Kyle and get him away from Nichole, nothing more.

2. Cartman is as racist as ever. His motives for getting Token and Nichole together is likely a mix of his "sweet" side, thinking he's helping them, and the likely motive of not wanting either of them to have a relationship with a white person.

3. Stemming from 2, and to explain Cupid Me, Cartman is just plain insane. Has he ever been "normal"? This is the guy who basically killed his own father and has slaughtered dozens of people on a Nascar track.

Just my 2c
Lyon82

Postby Lyon82 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:50 am

m1carbine6644 wrote:Okay, some insane speculation here, so this is what I took away from the episode;

1. Cartman (as far as we know in canon) isn't gay, he's manipulative. He was obviously out to piss off Kyle and get him away from Nichole, nothing more.

2. Cartman is as racist as ever. His motives for getting Token and Nichole together is likely a mix of his "sweet" side, thinking he's helping them, and the likely motive of not wanting either of them to have a relationship with a white person.

3. Stemming from 2, and to explain Cupid Me, Cartman is just plain insane. Has he ever been "normal"? This is the guy who basically killed his own father and has slaughtered dozens of people on a Nascar track.

Just my 2c

Actually I think this is a rare case where Cartman wasn't actually trying to be malicious. Yeah, his racism is out in full force, but it's that almost naive racism you sometimes hear from your grandparents who grew up during the depression (usually). It's not hatred as much as this odd assumption of keeping people together according to their own race. You see it a lot with older folk who are fine with minorities on their own, but are uncomfortable at interracial relationships. Been down that path multiple times with 94 year old grandma. You need to see that kind of racism at work to really get it.

But he wasn't really actively tying to screw Kyle over other than stopping him from interfering with the 'natural' order of things. According to his insane logic, he was doing good and he was preventing Kyle from crossing the line. Had it been any of the other boys he would have acted similarly (although perhaps not implicate a gay relationship with himself).

Cartman has a rather broken moral compass regardless. And he has been more depraved than normal the past couple seasons in terms of his mental state.
scRaTcH#667

Postby scRaTcH#667 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:51 am

Uh, so I was wrong, it wasn't about a celebrity break-up, though at least I got the morbid obsession with other people's relationship part right. Not at all what I expected, but pretty goddamn funny episode. I expected Kyle to kick Cartman's ass in the end, but Halitosis kid was even better ending... :lol: :lol: :lol:
9/10
JerWu17

Postby JerWu17 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:58 am

Well, if there's one thing we can confirm about Cartman's romantic side, it's that he loves his demented self, and Kyle hates that. Period. All you Kyman fans can stop drinking your dumb cool-aid now...

The episode had a lot of great interactions between the kids. A well-done example of a kids-being-kids episode. Cartman, his bigotry, and his new imaginary friend/self pretty much carried the whole plot.

Poor Kyle...what a shame he never got the chance to beat the crap out of the fatass at the end for all the humiliation he dished out against him. Oh well, it's better for Kyle to remain single anyways...

I'll give it an 8.6/10. If Kyle had the last laugh, it would have been in 9-territory.

M&T, I demand a Kyle-revenge episode in the next run! Oh, and a Wendy episode (without her lumped with the other girls) too!

Favorite Characters: KYLE -- STAN -- WENDY -- BUTTERS
Favorite Character to hate: C A R T M A N !!!

Favorite Episode: THE LIST
Stanluv25

Postby Stanluv25 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:16 am

Okay, well that was better than I was expecting. It wasn't no 'Butterballs' but still good. It's funny how the whole time Cartman was playing matchmaker to Token and Nicole instead of actually liking Nicole. It would not have made any sense if he fell for a black girl. I just love how her dad wanted her to date a white person and the whole joke was how everyone would be looking at a black couple as if it were weird instead of a mixed-race couple as usually the case. :lol: The Cupid-me thing was pretty funny and I guess shows the only person for Cartman to love is himself. But it was a little weird he was so insistent to make the two a couple. I don't know why he cared so much.
I loved the confusion of the coupling and who liked who. I cringe to know Kyman fans saw this and actually think Cartman loved Kyle. It shows how far he'd go to humiliate him, again. Those scenes were weird but funny when the other kids thought Kyle was gay.

Overall it was very cute even though I'm not a fan of putting children together. Darn, Stan and Wendy didn't break up in the eppy. :( But he was one of the boys looking at Nicole. :wink:

I give it... 7.5/10 for now.
I love: Stan, Butters, Cartman, Sharon.

I ship: Stan/Cartman <3

Stan: MMOOMM!!
Sharon: What is it honey? (gasp!) My baby's killed again!
Haa, I love that line.
JerWu17

Postby JerWu17 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:35 am

Well, M&T has pretty much put Stan & Wendy's relationship in the background anyways. It's for the better, since the only truly-romantic Stendy moment was in The List. I view the Stendy relationship more as an insurance against them two hooking up with other kids, which would be lame for them to do IMO.

Given what some of the forumers said about Matt's wife being black, I suspected that Kyle would be the third person in the love triangle. So needless to say I was outright ecstatic when Nichole revealed her own crush...

NeuroHeart

Postby NeuroHeart » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:41 am

Imy wrote:while I'm not a Kyman shipper (that I cannot stress enough) there is definitely something going on there.

Ditto.

I about blacked out from laughing when he started singing "I Swear" to Kyle. Gawd. (Poor Kyle.)

Cupid Cartman was unsettlingly cute.
To believe in something just because you're afraid of the consequences if you don't believe in something is no reason to believe in something.
zzyzx 1

Postby zzyzx 1 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:53 am

triplemultiplex wrote:This was very good for a season/run finale. Something tells me they've had this story idea in their back pocket for a while. It felt a little more polished than a typical episode.

I disagree. This was the worst season/run finale imo. There have 230 episodes now. This imo is the worst of the 230.

triplemultiplex wrote:Something tells me they've had this story idea in their back pocket for a while. It felt a little more polished than a typical episode.
Really? imo this was not a polished episode. It wasn't a rushed episode either. It was just a plotless episode that lacked humor. Reminds me of the show "Law & Order." People loved Law & Order, Law &Order CI, and Law & Order SVU. So it was assumed that people would love Law & Order anything. Well Law & Order Los Angeles was a bust. As was SP episode 1607.

Two jokes about "look guys, the bat mobile is outside." The running gag that Cartman and Kyle are gay. Blacks not going out with blacks because they are blacks. Come on, Matt and Trey, create at least a plot. This episode had none.

I remember gym class in school; but that was in middle school. Not in 4th grade. That made no sense of 4th graders in a gym taking a shower. Not realistic. The only good thing was Garrison teaching. Been a while since that has happened.

My rating system for SP has been on a scale of 1 to 10, but above and below these numbers are warranted sometimes. Last week I gave the episode an 11/10. This week: keeping the "S" word in mind [S = stupid episode], I give this a rating of -2/10. -2 because of no plot. And Cupid Me was stupid. A valentine's day episode in April. If a VD show can be made in April then why not a Christmas special also airing in April? I think a Christmas adventure episode would have been far superior to this episode, the worst imo of all 230 that have aired in all 16 seasons.

I am not bashing SP. I just found this episode to be the worst one ever in SP history. Looking forward to a better Season 16B.
JerWu17

Postby JerWu17 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:01 am

Dude, I just took a quick look at the credits. Looks like Jennifer Howell is still voicing Bebe!

Kinda surprising how she and M&T managed to work the whole arrangement out consider who she's working for now...

karazykid

Postby karazykid » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:20 am

And they're back! I was worried after last week, but M&T can still write funny episodes! Cartman got to be manipulative, racist and a dick to Kyle all at the same time, what's better than that? All the girls thinking Kyle's gay! A wonderfully written episode, I'm very glad to see they can occasionally make a good episode.
Niels0827

Postby Niels0827 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:30 am

zzyzx 1 wrote:I remember gym class in school; but that was in middle school. Not in 4th grade. That made no sense of 4th graders in a gym taking a shower. Not realistic. The only good thing was Garrison teaching. Been a while since that has happened.

The fuck happened to you? It's a cartoon; not real-life. You think Mecha-Streisand, Trapper Keeper, Imaginationland, the brown noise, or an entire water park turning into piss are realistic? How about a Wal-Mart store vanishing into thin air before releasing a juicy spurt of shit?

And there have been numerous instances of the boys being in the locker room or PE class in the past, and you're complaining about this NOW? You don't remember "Up the Down Steroid", "Raisins", or "1%"?

For the record, I had PE when I was in 4th grade in 1996, but whatever.

zzyzx 1 wrote:Two jokes about "look guys, the bat mobile is outside." The running gag that Cartman and Kyle are gay. Blacks not going out with blacks because they are blacks.

TWO instances of a joke being used is still far less than how often Matt and Trey usually use running gags. In fact, I didn't really feel any joke or gag was overused in this episode, and I'm usually one to call them out on it and say something is overused.

zzyzx 1 wrote:My rating system for SP has been on a scale of 1 to 10, but above and below these numbers are warranted sometimes. Last week I gave the episode an 11/10. This week: keeping the "S" word in mind [S = stupid episode], I give this a rating of -2/10. -2 because of no plot.

I am not bashing SP. I just found this episode to be the worst one ever in SP history. Looking forward to a better Season 16B.

You are absolutely unbelievable. Sure, there are episodes I can't stand that most people like, but for anyone to say this was the worst, when we had episodes like "Mr. Garrison's Fancy New Vagina" and "A Million Little Fibers" is mind-boggling. You're almost alone here.

And no plot? The plot was pretty clear-cut. I don't think you'll find many people who agree with you there. You're entitled to your opinion; I'm just boggled to fuck.

And really...if you're going to use a 10-point rating system, use whole or rational numbers from 0-10. It's evidently not a -2-11 rating system.
yamilynn

Postby yamilynn » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:46 am

Cartman singing 'I swear' to Kyle made my stomach hurt from laughing too hard. Definitely one of the best episode in this season. :lol: :lol:
I'm a Eric Theodore Cartman fan!
I support CartmanxStan
Cartman, Stan, Kenny, Butters, Clyde and Bebe are my favs.
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:51 am

Yeah, I was totally laughing out loud over Cartman singing "I Swear" to Kyle...Thanks Matt and Trey...
Stanluv25

Postby Stanluv25 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:47 am

I hope Nicole becomes one of the regular girls now. That would be nice. Especially considering she and Token got back together.
I love: Stan, Butters, Cartman, Sharon.

I ship: Stan/Cartman <3

Stan: MMOOMM!!
Sharon: What is it honey? (gasp!) My baby's killed again!
Haa, I love that line.

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”