*1802: Gluten Free Ebola* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

nall
Site Admin

*1802: Gluten Free Ebola* Post-Air Discussion

Postby nall » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:01 am

Now airing on Comedy Central!
Niels0827

Re: *1802: Gluten Free Ebola* Post-Air Discussion

Postby Niels0827 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:35 am

It's ten times better than last week.
JamesPup

Postby JamesPup » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:45 am

The dicks flying off was like the funniest part. Why didn’t the episode have ebola? I kept waiting for the ebola and it never came. Well it was Papa Johns, I guess South Park does have what it takes to make fun of Papa Johns. It was odd to have the episode continue after what happened in Go fund Yourself. I didn’t think people were going to mention things from that episode. Stan breaking up with Wendy was big but I was hoping to see someone else with her. It was cute seeing Stan and Wendy dance at the end. I think it could have used more laughs. Butters burning down the gym was good. I liked the beer bit. I had thought of that and how beer has gluten in it. Still I wanted to see Shelly sneaking gluten. Why were chicks so afraid of gluten if only the dick flies off? Chicks don’t have dicks. Maybe they should have had it that peoples ass cheeks would grow to a giant size and then explode. That way both sexes would be included. Or maybe females titties would grow and then fly off . I can’t believe that it ended with people eating the food pyramid upside down and with no grain. Will that continue into the next episode also?
What seems to be the officer problem?
nwt000

Postby nwt000 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:47 am

6.6/10
This episode really bothered me with the way the other kids treated the four boys. Then again, the boys brought this sh*t upon themselves by being fucking assholes to everyone when they started the Washington Redskins and were dicks to the entire world. The frayed relationships between the boys and their peers, especially Stan breaking up with Wendy, made me scream, cuss out at the television and at one point, I even considered taking a break from the show. The whole gluten plot was OK and the Aunt Jemima dream sequences were pretty funny. Like I said before though, the strained relationship between the boys and the other fourth graders ruined my enjoyment of this episode. I'm really disappointed with just how shallow and superficial everyone in the fourth grade was, Stan, Kyle, Cartman and Kenny included. But perhaps Wendy disappointed me the most, I thought she had a sense of humility and was better than all of that crap everyone displayed tonight. She was definitely a bigger bitch than she was in You Have 0 Friends and maybe even more of a bitch than she was in Raisins. This episode had a lot of potential, but came up pretty short. I really hope everyone is back to their usual selves next week and we have a better show.
kfgg

Postby kfgg » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:55 am

Seemed rushed. Didn't live up to last week.

Probably the "GF" as in Gluton Free next to the names in the credits was the best.

I could ramble about other specifics but nobody would really get it or careso I'll leave that out.
Stan and Kyle :)
JVM

Postby JVM » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:05 am

I loved it. 9/10.

My biggest issue with last week's episode was basically how far they took the "go f*ck yourself" joke and how it seemed utterly unbelievable nobody was offended by the kids' behavior. Seeing them coming back to school and everyone being pissed felt really natural and even though I love my boys, they pretty much brought it up on themselves. It's a very classic sort of plot and they each get their own chunk of the action - Stan trying to impress Wendy, Cartman's love of his food, Kyle being kind of the leader. Only Kenny's really quiet and well, at this point I'd say Kenny being quiet is a character trait. Randy wasn't over-used so he was still funny.

A lot of people in my neck of the woods aren't so fond of Stan and Wendy's subplot but I thought it was kind of sweet - by the standards of South Park at least. You can kind of see a little Randy and Sharon in them here. Their ending definitely has a 'he's an idiot but I guess he's my idiot' vibe to it. And hey, don't forget, Randy and Sharon were ready to have sex in their vomit at Woodstock :P

I think we might get a part 3 - Butters' subplot with burning down the school gym was never really resolved and well, nobody was expecting a continuation of last week, so anything's possible.

Some random notes off my mind:
- Welcome back, Mr. Garrison. In the six seasons since he's had his sex change back to being male, this is probably his meatiest role, save helping a certain confused little boy find his father.
- The SPE Employee Lounge from s15 is still here, and Coach Miles is back for his third speaking appearance, plus Adler's still around and we get to hear from that random subsitute we see a lot. Mr. Meryl has a silent cameo, too.
- Tom Vilsack is the current U. S. Secretary of Agriculture (2009 - Present) and former Governor of Iowa and was a 2008 presidential candidate. He's a real dude.
- We saw Cheesy Poofs again for a few seconds, but no sign of Snacky S'more's, Chips-a-Ho cookies or any other South Park classic foods.
- Scott Malkinson's becoming the new unpopular kid breakout character ala Pip and Butters. Totally cool with that. And he still has diabetes!
- Mr. and Mrs. Tweek are seen together at the party, talking in the background. Oddly specific posing for the background but happy to see them.
- Also at the party: Tweek, Jenny Simons, both Kellys, and a surprise cameo from Damien Thorn himself!
- How will Mr. Hankey come back if people don't get enough fiber on Christmas Eve? :(
South Park is a platform for Matt and Trey's social commentary and satire; there is no canon and these characters only serve as tools for self-expression. Don't get attached.
VACOOLA

Postby VACOOLA » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:27 am

If Aunt Jemima knows so much about the pyramid, how it works and stuff, she has to know the answer to the ultimate question of life, which is, of course, 24, not 42. People should start consulting her about all kinds of shit on a regular basis, given there's plenty of things in this world that seem to be downside up, like Ebola, for instance, that was completely absent from the episode. And so was Butters. There's something horribly wrong with him too. Why did he burn down the gym? It makes no sense at all. But then again, he hasn't been the same person since the almond poisoning, acting ooc most of the time. Perhaps Aunt Jemima can turn him upside down, inside out, and fix him up?
francisjairam121

Postby francisjairam121 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:17 am

im not sure what they were trying to say with the whole upside down triangle thing and aunt jemimah. and they have done the whole outbreak/nationwide panic thing to death. and they were trying to tie the whole thing in with the last episode and everyone being pissed at the boys.
maybe this season will try to have a more ongoing storyline and it will make sense in context, but i think this was much weaker than the first episode. So its a 6.5/10 it could've been better in my opinon.

Also, Was anyone else disappointed by how much the other fourth graders were narcistic, superficial assh*les in this episode? Wendy perhaps disappointed me the most out of all of the fourth graders tonight, I thought she was above all of this whiny and incessant crap everyone put on tonight. Then again, the boys kind of did this to themselves and acted just as selfish and materialistic as the other fourth graders did. The tension between everyone really ruined my enjoyment of the episode. I really hope everyone is back to normal and getting along relatively well next week. Well that, and a much better episode.
nwt000

Postby nwt000 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:52 am

francisjairam121 wrote:im not sure what they were trying to say with the whole upside down triangle thing and aunt jemimah. and they have done the whole outbreak/nationwide panic thing to death. and they were trying to tie the whole thing in with the last episode and everyone being pissed at the boys.
maybe this season will try to have a more ongoing storyline and it will make sense in context, but i think this was much weaker than the first episode. So its a 6.5/10 it could've been better in my opinon.

Also, Was anyone else disappointed by how much the other fourth graders were narcistic, superficial assh*les in this episode? Wendy perhaps disappointed me the most out of all of the fourth graders tonight, I thought she was above all of this whiny and incessant crap everyone put on tonight. Then again, the boys kind of did this to themselves and acted just as selfish and materialistic as the other fourth graders did. The tension between everyone really ruined my enjoyment of the episode. I really hope everyone is back to normal and getting along relatively well next week. Well that, and a much better episode.

The second half your post is a direct plagurization of a post I made on Reddit. Dude, that's not cool.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:02 am

francisjairam121 wrote:Also, Was anyone else disappointed by how much the other fourth graders were narcistic, superficial assh*les in this episode? Wendy perhaps disappointed me the most out of all of the fourth graders tonight, I thought she was above all of this whiny and incessant crap everyone put on tonight. Then again, the boys kind of did this to themselves and acted just as selfish and materialistic as the other fourth graders did. The tension between everyone really ruined my enjoyment of the episode. I really hope everyone is back to normal and getting along relatively well next week. Well that, and a much better episode.

Ooops, busted. Banned for a week.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:14 am

The first thing that stands out is a non-multi-part episode that acknowledges the events of the previous week. Not only that, but it adds details to "Go Fund Yourself". It's a departure from most of the series and it does make we wonder if the entire season could include elements of a serialized story. Two episodes doesn't make a pattern, but because it's so unusual I have to wonder.

The reaction of everyone else at school to the sh*t the boys pulled seems very reasonable. They seemed genuinely hurt by their actions and the boys' desire to win them back is relate-able.

Inverting the old "food pyramid" seems like an ad-absurdum joke at the expense of the anti-gluten crowd. They make gluten seem worse than straight-up fat. (Delicious, saturated, animal-derived fat.)

I for one, am as annoyed as Mr. Garrison was in act 1 about this particular health fad. Humans have been cultivating cereal grains like wheat for over 5,000 years. Now in the 21st Century, it's suddenly a problem. :roll:
There's a tiny percent of the population that has a genuine gluten allergy. Everyone else is just jumping on a bandwagon. And they are loving the placebo effect their gluten-free diet provides.

You read it! You can't unread it!
NGC6144

Postby NGC6144 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:59 am

Better from last week in that at least there was a few laughs, two or three. In inverting the food pyramid they should have had Dr. Atkins make a cameo from the dead. Or, they should have employed more of Stephan King's "The Stand" theme with Aunt Jemima and any number of opposing health nut foes as an epic battle between good vs. evil; Aunt Jemima squares of against Gary Null or something.
Stanluv25

Postby Stanluv25 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:46 am

I liked how it was a sort of continuation of last week's. They've never done that. The boys had it coming from what it seems-how their classmates treated them. They talked a big talk and their latest plan failed, they had every right to be annoyed. I wasn't too amused with Butters burning the gym. Seems so OOC. It was funny how they were so invested in some big party, for Scott nonetheless, and it's not even really about him. lol. Loved Cartman's dream with Aunt Jemima. Stan trying to recruit Lorde. First not really caring his dad was quarantined, but then has this speech as if he did care? Confused about that as all it seemed he wanted was to get Lorde.
I was kind of hoping for a better explanation of guy's dicks flying off. Why had that not happened before everyone began to fear gluten?
I personally am not a fan of Stan/Wendy so wanted her to say eff you in the end. Or at least have Stan vomit on her like he used to when she so much as touched him.
Randy was funny without being obnoxious which is RARE so that was nice to see.
Overall enjoyable. Two episodes with the boys working together. Nice. 8/10 and will probably watch again.
I love: Stan, Butters, Cartman, Sharon.

I ship: Stan/Cartman <3

Stan: MMOOMM!!
Sharon: What is it honey? (gasp!) My baby's killed again!
Haa, I love that line.
donlobo

Postby donlobo » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:06 am

Stanluv25 wrote:I liked how it was a sort of continuation of last week's. They've never done that.

They did that at s03 e02 when kenny had a girlfriend from previous episode.
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:39 pm

Well, just about everyone's made points that I was going to make, when I got around to it already. (wat)

The continuation (or rather backlash) of events from last weeks episode is something I haven't seen in a while. I do wonder if they're gonna make some sort of multiple episode arc out of this, or perhaps continue next week's ep with elements of this new one.
I will say that I didn't hate this one, but felt that last week's was stronger. I only really laughed at the USDA 'chairs & dirt' line. The reaction by Randy and Garrison of... whatshisname's dick flying off in Papa John's was something I could see coming from lightyears away, but still funny (even though it only garnered an eyeroll out of me).
That's another thing. It was soooo refreshing (damn-near shocking) to see Garrison be the voice of reason in this one. Usually he's the one to grab onto an idea and fly off the handle with it. (a-la the Go God Go saga)
Also, I'm mildly upset that Gluten wound up being the Ebola of South Park. I was kinda hoping that it would be that someone found out that Gluten counteracts Ebola, or Ebola is just zombie Gluten something like that.
OH! I can't forget about Aunt Jemima! Actually I can't think of her without seeing this...
But of course, I hear Mrs. Butterworth saying it. :/ (stupid brain)

I would also like it noted that I refuse to make jokes about my love of bread products, and making my dick fly off 2-3 times a day, depending on my mood. Masturbation... y-yeah. I'm an adult for f*ck's sake!

... :lol: like that's stopped me before. ;)

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”