*1804: Handicar* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

Big-Will
Board Moderator

Re: *1804: Handicar* Post-Air Discussion

Postby Big-Will » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:12 am

See: Cartman. Hitler has nothing on him.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
NGC6144

Postby NGC6144 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:40 pm

How does Nathan and Mimnsy end up driving in Dirk Dastardly's car? A bit of a continuity blunder...
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:24 pm

Dastardly wasn't paying attention.

After the Tesla was run off the road by the Handicar drivers, Nathan and Mimsy had to find a car to hijack. They saw Dastardly's and stole it. And Mimsy was the driver.

Africa Marsh

Postby Africa Marsh » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:34 pm

Another douchetastic episode IMO.

I sure do wish M & T would get off their high horse and get back to making funny South Park episodes. I don't watch South Park to get preached to about whatever "social justice" issue is popular for that week.

Regardless, the saddest thing about this episode is that it once again shows the COMPLETE hypocrisy of Comedy Central, and the "mainstream" media in general.

Broadcasting an image of Mohammad? NO WAY!!!!

Broadcast the implied homosexual rape of a handicapped child by a transvestite? GOOD TO GO!!!

So far this season's been a big downer...as was the last one.
nwt000

Postby nwt000 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:07 am

Africa Marsh wrote:Another douchetastic episode IMO.

I sure do wish M & T would get off their high horse and get back to making funny South Park episodes. I don't watch South Park to get preached to about whatever "social justice" issue is popular for that week.

Regardless, the saddest thing about this episode is that it once again shows the COMPLETE hypocrisy of Comedy Central, and the "mainstream" media in general.

Broadcasting an image of Mohammad? NO WAY!!!!

Broadcast the implied homosexual rape of a handicapped child by a transvestite? GOOD TO GO!!!

So far this season's been a big downer...as was the last one.

Can you seriously just leave this forum? You have absolutely nothing nice to say and all you do is carry on about how you think every episode sucks. Do us all a favor and get out of here.
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:11 am

Oh forgot to mention, there's a guy who recently started working in my store who totally looks like a grownup version of Nathan, minus the glasses... and the handicap. I'll see if I can sneak a pic of him next week.
Mamont

Postby Mamont » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:22 am

I had no expectations for this one, so I wasn't disappointed.
I didn't like it, but it had its brightsides: grownups frantically buying cereal and watching Wacky Races in pajamas (as they did when they were kids); Nathan's mother pretending she doesn't understand him. That was pretty good.

triplemutiplex wrote:The bulk of this episode was devoted to an old school cartoon that I barely remember. I'm 31 and even I'm too young to fully appreciate the reference at work.

I watched reruns on Cartoon Network when I was like 12, so I got the reference. I never really liked it.
agent-FSS

Postby agent-FSS » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:23 pm

I'd not be too upset if I couldn't watch this episode. A few moments and the ending was not bad, but most of the references I don't understand. Russian taxi driver is more like on a private illegal cab in my Homeland, and his car reminds me of the old car of my uncle. :D
Rape Nathan certainly slightly ridiculous, but in my opinion it is too.
6/10 for the fact that M&T is trying to convey something important, and with each new season guys to become heavier.
JamesPup wrote:Ok awkward but I feel that Nathan is in German clothes after watching the show. I am 1/8 German and feel offended by the jokes against Nathan like anal rape. Why can't Hitler win ever? Us German ancestry people suffer because of Hitler and his losing. Why can't an episode show Hitler win for at least an episode? We deserve at least that. I want Hitler to win the Art of War or some thing as such.

What?! How 10% of German genes can so influence in opinion? However, if your desire so strongly, there are games where you can play on the side of Germany and win in the Second World War. In my opinion, this is enough.
Zuli

Postby Zuli » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:03 am

i don't usually care much for episodes without the boys, but this was pretty fun, imo. XD i've liked the episodes of this season a lot :D (except the first one, that was pretty lame to me :| i always find south park-centered episodes far more appealing.)

..but i have to admit, i'm really starting to miss Kyle now. :cry:
Top 5
1. Major Boobage
2. Tonsil Trouble
3. Imaginationland
4. Woodland Critter Christmas
5. 1%

Favorite Character: Kyle
Favorite Season: 4
Necrophia

Postby Necrophia » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:03 pm

The episode was pretty much well rounded, with the last part being the best without doubt. Specially since i love Wacky Races.

But there's a fatal problem with it. The fact you tried to give a positive image about trans identities (I repeat, tried. Since some people won't receive the message or get a wrong one) for then an episode later make a severely transphobic joke which wasn't even original for South Park standards is quite severe no matter how crude the series is or how the fanbase can take it. You can't just try to run arround Lorde for give a positive message about gender identities for then next episode make a completely unoriginal and not even sattire joke about transgenders.

It makes it look like The Cissy gave you a bad feedback due the controversy it created on some websites as well some fans, for here make a Family Guy level of a joke as an apology. Is that bad of a joke to even make it the featured scene in the credits.

If i have to give it a score will be 5/10. Is very well done, i love episodes about secondary characters like Timmy, and the Wacky Races buildup and event itself was great. But making a Transphobic joke any other series or movie could easily make, specially after The Cissy, is quite bad. And if even wasn't transphobic is still quite a bland joke compared to other stuff South Park often offers.
JVM

Postby JVM » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:53 am

I thought this episode was pretty decent for what it was - obviously after one of the most controversial South Park episodes in years, we were going to get something soft and silly, and so I'm pleased with it. Nathan and Mimsy got some great character development and feel much more like real, grounded characters than in their previous appearances. I just updated their Wiki articles last night :)

I haven't seen Wacky Races in ages but I immediately got the references and they really didn't go too deep into it, which would've been worse. I looked it up again last night and besides Dick Dastardly, everything else seemed as forgettable as it was. The Saturday morning cartoons joke was great. Wish they could've done more with it but time.

My biggest beef would probably be the lack of actual time with Timmy, a character who's become more of a human prop in the last ten years than a character, Stephen Stotch being prominent for virtually no good reason, and... and of course, the rape joke is something I would scrub from the archives for good.

Oh, and so, so happy to see the McCormicks again!
South Park is a platform for Matt and Trey's social commentary and satire; there is no canon and these characters only serve as tools for self-expression. Don't get attached.
JayDrew

Postby JayDrew » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:47 am

Necrophia,

First off I thought it was one of their worst episodes, but that is besides the point. The thing is you sound like one of those people who think it is okay to make fun of anything except that one thing which is relevant to you. I really doubt they got such bad feedback about the cissy episode (which was admittedly great) that they felt they had to make an anti-tranny joke to make up for it. They can make fun of whatever they want and just like making fun of gays doesn't make them homophobic, there's nothing wrong with them making fun of trannys and said joke isn't transphobic...it's just a freaking joke.
Necrophia

Postby Necrophia » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:27 am

JayDrew wrote:Necrophia,

First off I thought it was one of their worst episodes, but that is besides the point. The thing is you sound like one of those people who think it is okay to make fun of anything except that one thing which is relevant to you. I really doubt they got such bad feedback about the cissy episode (which was admittedly great) that they felt they had to make an anti-tranny joke to make up for it. They can make fun of whatever they want and just like making fun of gays doesn't make them homophobic, there's nothing wrong with them making fun of trannys and said joke isn't transphobic...it's just a freaking joke.

A joke still can make an impact on people. As was using blackface for comedy and there's still people thinking in 2014 is good to do blackface on Halloween or for humour. As well you can see various transphobic jokes from crossdressing to "has a dick" sketches. No matter if is South Park or a more light series, no matter if uses it Cartman because is his character or a much more harmless subject. If you make a joke about a minority or harsh themes you better be clever about it. Because for example i still haven't seen any South Park joke arround the Holocaust yet they used Cartman disguised as Hitler to portray how he is on the first seasons.

I know the nature of South Park of making fun of everybody with no limitations. Early seasons they were arround gay stereotypes with Big Gay Al, and Mr Slave is probably the closest nowadays to the trope. Token Black the name says everything. And so on until we point every minority and topical episode. And we're still able to point out a bad aimed joke on each of them, like for example several jokes arround asians. Again, doesn't matter if is South Park or Family Guy or whatever. You better know what to write when taking such themes.

The problem i have with that joke is not simply being transphobic. But due how crude, plain, and unoriginal is. It was basically "has a dick and rapes the kid" joke, when with the previous examples they thought better stuff about their respective themes. Even the few seasons Mr Garrison took a sex change were better handling the subject. That scene was tasteless and so overused against trans that using it right after trying to give a moral message with The Cissy is truly upsetting.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:21 am

To me it just looked like a transvestite rapist. It doesn't tell me that all transvestites are rapists. It doesn't tell me that just because we start accepting trans people, transvestite rapists cease to exist. If that is upsetting to you, it's because, somewhere, it's true, and you can't face it.

Necrophia

Postby Necrophia » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:07 pm

Big-Will wrote:To me it just looked like a transvestite rapist. It doesn't tell me that all transvestites are rapists. It doesn't tell me that just because we start accepting trans people, transvestite rapists cease to exist. If that is upsetting to you, it's because, somewhere, it's true, and you can't face it.

How you look it doesn't eliminate the lack of context. Just because you see it as an actual criminal doesn't mean that the general view will be, how i am pointing out, transphobic. If it is as you said it could've been quite easy to hint that's the case. However, the joke was built arround Nathan planning to harass a woman for use it against Timmy, so the context is overall "is funny because has a dick". You could eliminate the raping and still be a tasteless, unoriginal punchline. And as i said, this came right after The Cissy trying to make a point about choices and identities, and how said episode is being taken arround it worsens this scene.

I am saying over and over that this is a stereotypical, toxic joke not even for the lower standards of South Park. Most jokes arround minorities they pull out is about their situation and/or satirized (Mostly by Cartman), not ridicule or stereotype them more (But that doesn't mean that before this joke there's none). Yet you're going for the "this is just you" argument. However, when South Park or whatever makes a point against cisgender, men, or against the status quo the internet goes all "Not All Men" or "It's about ethics" about it.

Overall this is not a "not all LGBT+ are rapists" argument. Is how low this joke is when South Park pulled out far better punchlines. However, that doesn't deny the existence of other jokes and punchlines more or less offensive to minorities than this one. But this joke is so overused and zero subtle in every media that, offensive or not, is a shame for South Park standards. Specially right after The Cissy trying to give a positive message, the biggest problem of this scene.

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”