*1806: Freemium Isn't Free* Pre-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

nall
Site Admin

*1806: Freemium Isn't Free* Pre-Air Discussion

Postby nall » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:08 am

SOUTH PARK
TITLE: FREEMIUM ISN'T FREE
Episode #1806 Air date: November 5, 2014

Stan is addicted to the new Terrance and Phillip mobile game.
nwt000

Re: *1806: Freemium Isn't Free* Pre-Air Discussion

Postby nwt000 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:15 am

Looks like we're finally going to get a Stan-centric episode this time around. Let me tell you, freemium games truly are addictive and costly. Is there going to be any sort of intervention for his addiction? Another thing, is the Terrance and Phillip mobile game going to be something like The Simpsons: Tapped Out or Family Guy: The Quest for Stuff? I'd totally buy a South Park version of those games! One last thing, how come the preview clips don't come out until Monday afternoon now?
kfgg

Postby kfgg » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:23 am

I hope not, but this looks like it's going to be a long week. I need my pills.....
Stan and Kyle :)
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:45 am

In-game purchases, heh. I wonder what model they'll use - Candy Crush? Farmville? Minion Rush? Boom Beach? Clash of Clans?
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
Stanluv25

Postby Stanluv25 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:50 am

Wait, so 'freemium' is an actual term?? I don't have a smart phone so wouldn't know. So it's just... a free game? Well first let me do a little jig for an A or B Stan story arch. Wonder what could possibly make a T&P game addictive. All they do is fart. Which is why they aren't my favorite characters and I groan any time they take us to Canada. Eat Pray Queef had some good moments, only because of Sharon's speech in the end. So really, nothing funny happens in Canada in the show lol.

Excited for Wed finally!
I love: Stan, Butters, Cartman, Sharon.

I ship: Stan/Cartman <3

Stan: MMOOMM!!
Sharon: What is it honey? (gasp!) My baby's killed again!
Haa, I love that line.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:02 am

Yeah, most games are free, and can remain free if you can resist the pitches thrown at you to buy their offers with real money. Starter packs, upgrades, coins, keys, special deals, etc.

This is the first time I see "freemium," but I can instantly see that's it's a combination of "free" and "premium."

nall
Site Admin

Postby nall » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:29 am

Freemium is a very real term, and not a new one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemium
JVM

Postby JVM » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:42 am

I'm assuming the episode will either follow the freemium models of a tycoon/building game, like "The Simpsons: Tapped Out", or those of a puzzler game like Disney's various "Free Fall" variations. Those are the main types for licensed games... combat/RPG-type stuff is mostly original.

'Freemium' is generally used, I think, because of the inclusion of premium content. You can complete, say, the story and gain most of the characters, but you'll still need to spend that extra cash to get the 'premium characters' - the game can't be completed without it.

Say, you can't add the Genetic Engineering Ranch to your South Park without paying 50 boxes of cheesy poofs, which is $5, and thus can't access Dr. Mephesto. Some people wouldn't care, but some would pay the fee either to complete the game or because they like the character. (Like me!)

So, my guess is act 1 will involve the boys and maybe some adults playing the app and T&P having their misgivings, act 2 will shift focus to Stan only, maybe with a jokey 'intervention' or something and T&P going to the video game company or Brian about the issue and spouting M&T's views on the issue, and act 3 will be another crazy, unpredictable resolution.

Also I'll put money that we'll see 'Fancy Fwiend' (Rick, Terry's friend) from "Taming Strange" (s17e05) in here -- Matt and Trey said a number of times in the commentary track they love him and tried to bring him back all that season.

I'd totally buy a South Park version of those games!

Me too, I have to confess, even though God knows I'd go broke over it. A proper SP mobile game would be fantastic. I don't expect one, and I'll also admit I'd rather pay $4.99 or whatever for Stick of Truth DLC.

One last thing, how come the preview clips don't come out until Monday afternoon now?

Maybe the new Hulu Overlords have to 'approve it' or something :P

Nall, a serious answer would be immensely appreciated.
South Park is a platform for Matt and Trey's social commentary and satire; there is no canon and these characters only serve as tools for self-expression. Don't get attached.
JamesPup

Postby JamesPup » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:41 pm

I'm kind of lost with this episode. I had never heard of freemium but now know about it and I do play several games that are freemium games. So I see this episode as like what they have in the news about this type of thing. A kid will start playing a game and the parents think it is totally free but the kid keeps buying things in the game with real money. The parents find out and freak out that their kid racked up thousands of dollars in bills. So the thing goes to court and the parents win because it was too easy for the kid to spend their money without anyone knowing. This seems kind of like an old formula but whatever. I bet this episode will be funny. I bet all the kids are playing the game also and not just Stan. I will guess that all the money Terrance and Philip make off the game gets taken back because of a court ruling. It says they don't like the money so I guess it will be a win win situation.
What seems to be the officer problem?
agent-FSS

Postby agent-FSS » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:47 pm

Great! Looks like Stan is back, but get dependent on game. Well, I'm pretty good idea of what it is, although I don't know, what is freemium. Dota 2 concern to them? Mobile games is not for me.

JVM wrote:
I'd totally buy a South Park version of those games!

Me too, I have to confess, even though God knows I'd go broke over it. A proper SP mobile game would be fantastic. I don't expect one, and I'll also admit I'd rather pay $4.99 or whatever for Stick of Truth DLC.

I would have gladly paid for DLC to The Stick of Truth, but their none :( .

JamesPup wrote:... I bet this episode will be funny. I bet all the kids are playing the game also and not just Stan...

Children are not just playing or sitting on the Internet, they doing this all day, spending all his free time. In the episode Make Love, not Warcraft this subject was more than well uncovered. And such dependences are not treated.

Wonder Stan get a nervous breakdown when he would be deprived of a smartphone?
JamesPup

Postby JamesPup » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:40 pm

The preview clip has the grandfather. So I guess he is using all of his money to play these freemium games just like Stan. Maybe he runs out of money and has to move in with Randy's family? Randy drinking 6 glasses of wine is funny. I bet he ends up passed out in this episode. What if Stan takes up drinking wine instead? Thank god I have gotten over the freemium games. I was spending like $500 a years on them a couple of years ago. I was figuring that I would have spend the money on console games anyways. I tried to limit myself to $50 a month. So will we see Randy get dragged into liking these types of games in the episode? I would find it odd if Randy doesn't at least try to play one of these games. I wonder what you have to play real money for in a Terrance and Phillip video game? Could it be more farts? I mean what else could it be if it is T & P?
James--76

Postby James--76 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:07 pm

JamesPup wrote:The preview clip has the grandfather. So I guess he is using all of his money to play these freemium games just like Stan. Maybe he runs out of money and has to move in with Randy's family? Randy drinking 6 glasses of wine is funny. I bet he ends up passed out in this episode. What if Stan takes up drinking wine instead? Thank god I have gotten over the freemium games. I was spending like $500 a years on them a couple of years ago. I was figuring that I would have spend the money on console games anyways. I tried to limit myself to $50 a month. So will we see Randy get dragged into liking these types of games in the episode? I would find it odd if Randy doesn't at least try to play one of these games. I wonder what you have to play real money for in a Terrance and Phillip video game? Could it be more farts? I mean what else could it be if it is T & P?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRVgXVPCsWc

:lol: That clip made me laugh,heres another image

http://comedycentral.mtvnimages.com/pre ... eight=1024
Kyle: Why? How could you do this? There are people starving in Alabama and you give Cartman a million dollars?

Cartman: Line? Lines! I HATE LINES!!!
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:17 pm

JamesPup wrote:The preview clip has the grandfather.

Wonder if he's moved back home or is just visiting from the Looming Sunset Assisted Living Center he was at in "Cash For Gold," and where his wheelchair is. He's usually in it.

JamesPup

Postby JamesPup » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:32 pm

Thanks James--76. I see that the boys in that picture are pointing the finger at Jimmy. Must be that Jimmy got Stan addicted to freemium games. The episode must be a lot on Stan’s addiction problem. I wonder how this will end?

Yeah Big-Will I also think grandpa has moved back home in with the Marsh's family. Maybe he will end up dead?
nwt000

Postby nwt000 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:03 am

I think there is a possibility that every kid in school besides Kyle, Cartman and Kenny might be addicted to the new Terrance and Phillip mobile freemium game. The byline does say "the kids" are playing the new game, not just Stan. Perhaps the boys (aside from Stan) are frustrated and concerned that all of their classmates are becoming slaves to this new game and losing the traits of their personalities. In other words, I see this becoming sort of like a drug epidemic among the children of South Park. I have a more extreme theory that involves the game being purposefully tainted with a virus that slowly and painfully causes it's victims to devolve into some sort of hideous, demented, insane and bloodthirsty creatures that bite people and turn them into the same kind of creature, but I think even that scenario might be a little too extreme, even for South Park. It looks as if the parents may develop an addiction of their own in the forum of wine tasting. Perhaps Kyle, Cartman and Kenny find some sort of treatment or antidote that disengages everyone from their new obsessions and allows them to return to their typical daily lives.

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”