*1901: Stunning and Brave* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

JVM

Re: *1901: Stunning and Brave* Post-Air Discussion

Postby JVM » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:07 am

After my former 'fan site' came under a ton of sh*t when "The Cissy" came out, I was not excited for another risky social justice episode. I was scared. I deal with these people on a regular basis.

We have a strong first Act that seems ready to deal with a premise that doesn't necessarily need to go above and beyond - a new principal at the school that the kids don't like. The social justice angle could be halfway incidental, like the 'agnostic' bit in "The Poor Kid". The first scene is still really strong on repeat viewings and the continuity is well in favor - it almost feels like Matt and Trey admitting the show can be problematic.

The 'college bar' bit, while a bit inexplicable in framing - we could've had the same scene with Skeeter's Bar - it's cool to see Stuart get a lot of lines and Mr. Valmer joins the dads for once. Then we see the farmers after the brief PC Delta introduction which get a nice bit and a fun connection to the '90's PC trend. Cartman getting the tables turned on him was interesting, although the window in the bathroom is just so hard for me to figure out. It's right above the urinals - did Garrison install it to see more dick? :o

Switching Cartman and Kyle's roles was a solid creative choice, as it makes it easier to show overzealous social justice can be and how sometimes the wrong person can be targeted with excessive force, but Cartman's arc is a little too swift, and we never quite figure out why he's breaking - which makes it all the more confusing when it's his turn to take over again at the end. Kyle on the other hand, has a method to his madness, but it's practically a joke and never quite explained. It seems easily inferred to the experienced viewer that Kyle's saying he didn't like Bruce Jenner, so why like Caitlyn Jenner now, but to the uninformed one, it just seems like a 'Take That!'

The show is hijacked by PC Delta and Randy though in the second and third Acts, which just isn't a good fit in my opinion. I like the idea of showing social pressure contributing to social justice, but Randy's an odd choice for social pressure, and the beer joke hurts the potential commentary. Seeing someone more like Butters fall in with them could've been more interesting, focusing on social pressure instead of beers and the fratboy atmosphere. PC Delta itself grows tiresome quickly -- combining it with frats and sweeping individual characterization under the rug in favor of a blanket, stereotypical group. PC Principal sort of disappears into the gang. Showing them descending into insulting each other could've also been fun.

The episode could've gone so much better if a transperson, woman, black character, etc. became a victim to the 'PC' bros instead of the usual white kids. You can point out Kyle is Jewish, but it's a non-issue in the episode itself - and even that could've been to point. White 'cishet' men talking over oppressed people is a genuine issue within and outside the SJ community - which could've made it a winner on more fronts than one. If that was the actual intended point of the episode, it could've been ironed out better.

Or we could've had Cartman, in his reformation, hijacking the movement for his own means - don't oppress me, Keehl! Could also have worked to similar effect.

The Aesop itself is sort of difficult, as it seems to suggest South Park uses un-PC jokes to make PC points which... doesn't quite gel. It might just be the way it's written, but it ends up coming off very contradictory and flat in my opinion. Randy getting credit for Cartman and Kyle's work is a tad distracting and doesn't really tie off any plotline. PC Principal could've been blamed for the problems and removed for a more satisfying ending to fans.

It feels like it's getting typical for Matt and Trey to come up with a great first Act for an episode, with a hit-or-miss second Act to escalate existing action, and then a final Act that's strength usually relies on it's ending, which sadly, seem to blow more often than not these days, especially with Matt and Trey's increased aversion to doing straight Aesops, making the existing attempts feel a little on the light side.

tl;dr there's good ideas, lines and sequences but the whole thing's a mess
South Park is a platform for Matt and Trey's social commentary and satire; there is no canon and these characters only serve as tools for self-expression. Don't get attached.
Rooksinator

Postby Rooksinator » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:12 am

A3nEm4 wrote: 1) The ending- Cartman is thrilled because Kyle was the bigot through the entire episode, and in the end had to apologize for said bigot-ism and admit being wrong; do I really need to explain why this thrilled cartman?.

The problem with this is that Kyle is giving up his beliefs to stop fighting. And it's awful because the younger kids watching are going to think that it's ok to make their opinion conform to the mass decision[/quote]
zzyzx 2

Postby zzyzx 2 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:56 pm

Finally saw 1901. To me, another drunken Randy episode. And the start of another season where subsequent episodes build on elements from previous episodes.

Don't like Principal Victoria being fired. Dislike PC Principal. It is politallically correct for the principal of a school to beat up a student and suffer no consequences. But dis Bruce Jenner, and watch out! 4/10 on the episode.
VACOOLA

Postby VACOOLA » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:35 am

Hey, you all remember, of course, that Mexican kid David from Idaho who was first introduced to us in "You Are Not Yelping"? Well, guess what. I hate to break it to you, but he is neither from Idaho nor from Mexico. He's not even from the Yelping episode. In fact, he is from Syria as can be seen in the final scene at the PC frat house. He is clearly visible among the so-called Syrian refugee kids, which means he rode his tiny bicicleta all the way across the Atlantic to get to that frat party. Kapish? So my question is: what's up with that? Did one of the pregnant Mexican women adopt him right there on the spot? Or is it just an Idaho thing??
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:48 am

VACOOLA wrote:Hey, you all remember, of course, that Mexican kid David from Idaho who was first introduced to us in "You Are Not Yelping"? Well, guess what. I hate to break it to you, but he is neither from Idaho nor from Mexico. He's not even from the Yelping episode. In fact, he is from Syria as can be seen in the final scene at the PC frat house. He is clearly visible among the so-called Syrian refugee kids, which means he rode his tiny bicicleta all the way across the Atlantic to get to that frat party. Kapish? So my question is: what's up with that? Did one of the pregnant Mexican women adopt him right there on the spot? Or is it just an Idaho thing??
In "Last of the Meheecans" there's a scene in which a kid is swinging at a piñata when Mantequilla gets his day on the Mexican calendar. Who could it be...? :mrgreen:
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
VACOOLA

Postby VACOOLA » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:18 am

¡Ay, caramba! Todo esto es una locura. That omnipresent hijo de puta! ¡Viva la Mexico! :lol:

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”