*1903: The City Part of Town* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

Stanluv25

Re: *1903: The City Part of Town* Post-Air Discussion

Postby Stanluv25 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:55 am

Meeehhh... didn't really laugh much in this one. The only funny bits were the Sodasopa commercials with the final Whole Foods one in the end. So cheesy lol. Since when did the Broflovskis have a dog? Funny too how the McCormick's seem to be the only poor family in town and their house is now 'historic'.

Like Jamespup mentioned, this felt too nice. Nothing really happened where a lot of chaos really could have. The town wanted a Whole Foods and in the end got it. City Wok isn't working out. Now what? The boys hardly had any lines too which I didn't like.

I happen to love Whole Foods. I don't have one near me but I've gone to one in Vegas a few times. I only ever go for their awesome selection of sweets lol.

5/10
I love: Stan, Butters, Cartman, Sharon.

I ship: Stan/Cartman <3

Stan: MMOOMM!!
Sharon: What is it honey? (gasp!) My baby's killed again!
Haa, I love that line.
VACOOLA

Postby VACOOLA » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:07 am

I thought Cartman was hell-bent on destroying Whole Foods when he was taking them down one by one with the little help from Cthulhu. Apparently, he didn't succeed. He should have totally stayed focused on that goal instead of killing Justin Bieber. So sayeth Cptn. Hindsight.
Big-Will wrote:So I hear this is a real city episode. It pales compared to "Chef's Salty Chocolate Balls," which is the last time the town was made over to this extent, if not more, and that was 17 years ago.
Agreed. Tbh, I never liked that episode very much because of Hankey Mouse, the sorcerer's apprentice and the literal shitstorm he orchestrated using his toilet magic, Fantasia-style; but now I realize that Hankey's itervention could have saved the day once again.

Which brings me to another thing, aside from the gentrification issue, that unites these two episodes and brings out the South Park trivia beast (for the lack of a better word) in me. I'm talking about the countless invasions of outsiders. Seriously, how many of those has South Park seen over the years? First, there were the film people who invaded South Park because they wanted a new place for their annual festival, then there came the rich black people summoned by Token, then the old people, goobacks from the future, hippies, homeless people, Jersey people, PC bros, Canadians...... Indeed, M&T have a good excuse not to sweat about the quality of newer episodes: they are working on the next game right now, which is important, there's no denying it. But this is a little too much, imo.

They should have shed at least some light on Kenny's curse instead of making a shitload of fake commercials. So say Cptn. Hindsight's trusty companions Shoulda, Woulda, and Coulda.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:12 am

Is it too obvious to point out that the episode title "The City Part of Town" is intended to spoken in Mr. Lu Kim's voice so that it reads "The Shitty Part of Town"?

Yeah, probably. Because now I feel like a douche for explaining jokes.

You read it! You can't unread it!
Hayley B

Postby Hayley B » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:00 pm

Don't have much to say about this one. Except that was sweet of Kenny getting his sister a baby doll. I love it that he's so nice to her.

I haven't gone into a Whole Foods before. I could when I'm visiting D.C.. Delaware seem to be the only state that doesn't have one. But I already know my state is sh*tty .
Hayley B: My own name Location: Delaware,USA
Favorite South Park Character: *too many* But I like Kenny,Kyle,Cartman,Butters,Satan,& Damien.
KeeperIXX

Postby KeeperIXX » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:35 pm

Hayley B wrote:Don't have much to say about this one. Except that was sweet of Kenny getting his sister a baby doll. I love it that he's so nice to her.

I haven't gone into a Whole Foods before. I could when I'm visiting D.C.. Delaware seem to be the only state that doesn't have one. But I already know my state is sh*tty .
I've never been to a Whole Foods either, I'd look into it to see if their produce is any good, but I live in Spokane, closest Whole Foods branch from here is in Seattle, though I heard there is some demand for a Whole Foods is Spokane.

though speaking of sh*t, remember Mr. Hankey? and how there was an episode where he nearly died from South Park eating too much healthy food?, I wonder if that will come into play...

KawaiiPrincessuKenny wrote: I feel as if the theme for this season is defeat. "Face it, the world has become a crappy place and we can't do anything about it." Something like that?
Maybe, but that's running under the assumption that PC Principal will get away with everything by the end of the season, which I highly doubt will happen, I know it's not Trey and Matt's style to throw in a 2-dimensinoal a-hole solely to replace someone who, in grand scheme of things, didn't need to be removed from the show entirely. If nothing else, I believe Trey and Matt have something planned in the long-run for PC Principal, and his limited screen-time after 'Stunning and Brave' suggest they're fully-aware that PC Principal is... not very liked, which I believe will come into play later.

Personally, I think if Season 19 has any theme going on, its "The ends don't always justify the means"

The people of South Park are taking great strides to be more progressive, which is a benign direction on paper, but they're disregarding how their methods are hurting people affected by it and their callousness seem to be causing the people who were swept underfoot to oppose them.

Heck, near the end of "City Part of Town", Mr. Kim was already willing to attack people for trying to drive him out of business, so who's to say there aren't gonna be more people in South Park affected by this forced-progression that will also try to retaliate?
JayDrew

Postby JayDrew » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:16 am

Not quite the quickest guy, are you? Maybe that's why you can't get a job at Whole Foods. This was not a nice, "pussy" episode...it was actually one of their dark, depressing ones.

Yes, they got their Whole Foods...is that really a good thing? It's food you yourself wouldn't want to eat and is too expensive for you...how does that effect, say, Kenny's family? You don't like sodasopa being there? Ever think you're not supposed to like it being there? The town is happy about it cause it'll make them feel more progressive and bring in money, but it is a step backwards into corporate takeover that screws small businesses (like city wok).

The whole thing is a rip on hypocritical PC culture. They act like they care about social issues but do things that make life harder for the poor just to improve their image (cause Fallon made them look stupid). Trey is slowly making an argument against rich, PC corporate authority.

Granted no one died...but City Wok was forced to hire poor children (who have to work cause their family can't make ends meet) in a futile attempt not to be driven out of business by a "PC" corporation...then the townsfolk tried to kill these children so said corporation could come into town simply to improve their image and look more "PC" (not extreme?). The episode is largely about how people rationalize gentrification (look it up) by pretending it's about development without caring how it affects the poor. You're not supposed to like the changes happening in South Park...that's what makes it not such a "nice" episode and one with a very unhappy ending.
JamesPup wrote:This episode was too nice for me. I guess I read too far into what the episode would be like but man there was really not enough action for me. And Whole Foods is a place I hate. I can’t get a job there and the food is food I wouldn’t want to eat and it is more expensive.

Couldn’t the City Wok guy have done something more fun? He didn’t kill anyone and it’s like he may be out of the show in the future. I don’t like how this episode is so nice and friendly. It could be like the biggest pussy episode ever because they wanted a Whole Foods and got one and then wanted minorities to live there… eewwww.

So is the future of South Park now messed up and it isn’t a small town? I like the idea of the episode but if the sodosopa is going to be around all the time I don’t know what to think. I didn’t really like the commercials much sorry. Kenny giving his sister a doll was sweet and all but I needed to see someone die at least. I’ll give it a 7/10 as because of the Kenny family and their house being in the middle of the sodosopa. That was funny but there wasn’t enough extreme for me. The child labor should have been done so much better. All it ends with is a fight and then all is fine.

This episode was weak and the PC stuff is damaging the show with this episode. Now there is a sodosopa and whole foods and PC principal. How will all of this sh*t be flushed away? Fallon should have been slammed and not get a free walk too.
JamesPup

Postby JamesPup » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:37 am

No JayDrew I am not the quickest guy out there and I am sorry but this is just how I feel about the episode. Instead of being all authoritarian about what I have to say why not just give your own input and leave it at that. I don’t mind people relying to what I post but come on.

I think I didn’t get the job at Whole Foods because I told them when asked if I like their food that I don’t like nature and organic foods. I said I would eat sandwiches and maybe buy a steak once and a while but I guess that wasn’t enough.

I agree with you that the episode was dark and depressing. I would love a SoDoSoPa because it has beer and food and I go to places like that twice a week. I just hate Whole Foods which the episode tells is the thing to have. I think that because the Whole Foods is built next to City Wok that that will bring City Wok some business so I guess with that the problem is solved of City Wok going out of business.

The thing I don’t like is that Political Correctness is going to take over America and then the world. I feel showing me the grim future we will share is dark and depressing. Why would I watch an animated comedy to get drama? When equality inherits the earth people will all be race mixing and be bi-racial and I’d bet that homosexuality will flourish as people freely engage in sex with one another. I’m kind of an abstinent guy myself anyways.

If this season ends without getting rid of the whole love and acceptance thing of equality then I will be a sad panda. I like South Park for its racism, bigotry, and horrendous activity like people dying and being abused. Just watching Disney or Nickelodeon would be very close to this episode. South Park is supposed to carry a Mature rating but this episode felt PG-13 at best.

I didn’t know what gentrification was but the context clues with the press release and the preview clip was enough for me to decipher it yet I still looked it up anyways. Also I want Mature material and not just an unhappy ending. This episode had potential but it was wasted in not living up to what has made South Park famous which is violence and hilariously dark comedy. Also Pop Culture is this show yet just fulfilling a Yuppies wet dream doesn't classify for me as Pop Culture comedy if they win. We needed Viva Los Historic Kenny's House and City Wok.

Also for those that don’t know SoDoSoPa might really mean South of Downtown South Park as I read someone say this at a review site. Also JayDrew I am having a Heineken rate now and checking your privilege.
What seems to be the officer problem?
FreeQuebec86

Postby FreeQuebec86 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:22 am

LOL, one things i loved with the "ads" videos, it's even HERE we have these Hipster developmment video xD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNNAXSuS45Q

Here one i JUST SAW and it "click" me lol. Condo in the "Vieux-Montréal", a rich and hipster/ à la monde place lol. And the ads is the SAME as this episode lol.

People should start to gather all these kind of video + adding their voice. Creating a new meme­.

One of the best things of South Park, is that they are MODERN as hell. Like this is instant art, what they laugh about is the reality! From day 1 to now!

GG South Park ( Can't wait for your new game xD I hope we can fight with PC Principal xD And that he check our priority right ( that he is a hard boss ) lol
)
sidarlo

Postby sidarlo » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:31 pm

My take on the episode - https://www.the-newshub.com/film-and-tv ... ew-s19-e03

Overall I didnt think it was as funny as the first two but still enjoyed it.

Was a change in pace, only thing I would say is this series feels more based around the adults of the town then the main four boys. Even though Kenny was one of the main players in this episode
JVM

Postby JVM » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:20 am

Anyone else notice how ominous the one shot of PC Principal during the final montage is? Just him with his oakleys at the desk while everyone else is happy shopping at Whole Foods? Why isn't he being happy with them?

It's ominous for a reason - they're setting him up to be this season's big bad guy, I'm sure. That makes him a much better and more enjoyable character.

I saw the ending as bittersweet myself.
South Park is a platform for Matt and Trey's social commentary and satire; there is no canon and these characters only serve as tools for self-expression. Don't get attached.
KeeperIXX

Postby KeeperIXX » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:26 pm

JVM wrote:Anyone else notice how ominous the one shot of PC Principal during the final montage is? Just him with his oakleys at the desk while everyone else is happy shopping at Whole Foods? Why isn't he being happy with them?

It's ominous for a reason - they're setting him up to be this season's big bad guy, I'm sure. That makes him a much better and more enjoyable character.

I saw the ending as bittersweet myself.
Considering PC Principal's single-minded agenda for political correctness and progression, it's very likely he spends most of his time thinking about other ways South Park can be 'improved'. So yeah...

Making South Park into a PC town seems to be the only thing he cares about, which may come to bite him in the rear later, and those that oppose him might work that to their advantage...
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:04 pm

I think you guys might be right about PC Principle becoming an arch villain as the season progresses. And that will naturally turn Mr. Garrison into a counter force against him. But Mr. Garrison has already been established this season as not being ''right" about the issues raised. So Garrison & PC Principle are going to be there to represent the extreme ends of douchiness leaving an opening for somebody to come in and say "You're both wrong." Maybe that person will have to give a big long speech about how you all got duped by these two assh*les into hating each other. Now who in South Park could possibly do that? I'm sure there's someone somewhere in the cast... ;)

You read it! You can't unread it!
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:21 am

I liked it
That's how it's down here on the farm!
zzyzx 2

Postby zzyzx 2 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:37 am

Found this on the interwebs. Seems several parts of the country think that this episode was about THEIR town.

Enjoy :)

http://fusion.net/story/207903/south-pa ... spiration/
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:42 am

As Randy said, "Lots of cities are dong this," so of course every city will think it's about them. :)
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”