*1903: The City Part of Town* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

Female345

Re: *1903: The City Part of Town* Post-Air Discussion

Postby Female345 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:41 am

It was neither a great or bad episode.
PurpleScorpion187

Postby PurpleScorpion187 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:08 am

Niels0827 wrote:
JamesPup wrote:I’ll give it a 7/10 as because of the Kenny family and their house being in the middle of the sodosopa.
That alone is worth 7/10 for you? Despite having almost nothing positive to say about this episode, you give it a 7? Do you also serve as a judge for the Special Olympics?

Unless I really like an episode, I will no longer share my opinion. I'm just sounding like a worn out record. Kind of like almost all episodes past season 15. It was just crap. I didn't laugh once except for the comment on "Colorado's many oceans" during one of the several obnoxious filler live-action sequences. What pisses me off most is that this episode had a promising premise, and that with this ridiculous canon continuity theme per season, the entire universe within the show is permanently altered for the worst. I don't plan on going out of my way to watch any new episodes anymore.
Now I really worry about this episode... :c
I didn't get to see it yet, but... is it really that bad?..
Then again, I loved a lot of episodes past season 15, so I probably shouldn't judge it by just Your opinion ;p
Random Hobbies: SP (duh); drawing; videogames; 'hot cosby'-ing Niels0827 c:
VACOOLA

Postby VACOOLA » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:12 am

Where are the times when Kenny's family had a dark secret in their shabby closet? Where are the times when the town of South Park was invaded by a bunch of wealthy niggers and got rid of them all in a matter of one episode, without it becoming a huge story arc? Where are the burning "lower-case t's" and "spooky ghosts" necessary to do that trick again, to change everything back to the way it was before? I understand that at some point, probably when we least expect it, the guys will bring it back to normal, so we can finally say, "Whew, what a relief!" But how many episodes will it take to do that? How many... SEASONS???

At least now we know what Trey is gonna do when he is finished with South Park. He's going to seek a career in advertising. Duh.
JVM

Postby JVM » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:18 am

To all those angry we still have PC Principal, I would totally be on your side if I wasn't a thousand percent sure we'll be back to normal by the end of #1910. Remember that Mr. Garrison stopped being teacher in S4 and came back two years later after Ms. Choksondik was killed, and Kenny died for a year and came back, etc.

Keep in mind we haven't heard from Lorde, the Washington Redskins, the Gluten Crisis, Cock Magic, etc. or most things from Season 18, which was continuity-heavy -- at the end of S18, things were largely back to normal despite the incidental 'changes'.

Everything will be back in it's place at the end of the season, and once you're confident in that, it's a lot easier to enjoy the changes for what they are - running gags for a couple weeks :)
South Park is a platform for Matt and Trey's social commentary and satire; there is no canon and these characters only serve as tools for self-expression. Don't get attached.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:26 am

So I hear this is a real city episode. It pales compared to "Chef's Salty Chocolate Balls," which is the last time the town was made over to this extent, if not more, and that was 17 years ago.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:59 am

Those fake commercials for all the new development in SoDaSoPa were spot on. I've seen basically that same ad in dozens of media markets across the country. Really wouldn't mind checking out one of the "Lofts at Kenny's House". :lol:

Jimmy Fallon ripping on South Park at the top of the show was the bulk of the funny. Not so much the jokes, but the meta-joke about South Park the town being ripped on the way South Park the show rips on other places and everyone getting butt-hurt about it.

Most of the episode was too flat for me. I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop; for something crazy to happen that screws them out of their Whole Foods. Like I can't believe Mr. Garrison didn't show up in act 3 to say something racist. The complication they did throw in with the brawl in the street was completely shrugged off. The Whole Foods guy catches a bunch of adults beating up children in the street and he's like, whatever, you can have your over-priced grocery store.

Even Kenny's story was a little flat. He didn't really do anything. He gets the job at City Wok and then gets paid. Other than that, he's just a background image for the fake commercials. And the sweet moment at the end comes from nowhere. His gift to Karen (I assume that's still her name) while nice and all, isn't set up earlier in the episode. Instead we only have her confused as to why they can't eat at the nice restaurants outside.

Maybe in the context of the rest of the season, my opinion will improve but for now, this was fairly forgettable. That's a bummer for a Kenny episode.

You read it! You can't unread it!
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:10 am

Heh, I figured they were going to develop around Kenny's house. This actually happened, and was the inspiration for Disney's UP - the mall tried to buy the land from the woman who lived in the tiny house, but she would not sell, so the mall went up around her. She died seven years ago, and here's her story. The house still stands.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:27 am

I liked this ep even more than the last. I never stopped giggling at all the gentrification crap, how they incorporated "Historic Kenny's House", and at all the stupid ads. :lol:
I also like how old characters keep reappearing, even if in passing. Seriously, when was the last time anyone saw Dr. Tom? Season 1? Also it's nice to see that Al & Slave are still together. ^_^ aww.
I thought for sure City Wok having the child labor force would be a bigger shitstorm than it was. Not that a dozen of the townsfolk mobbing then getting attacked by City Child Labor Force isn't a shitstorm, but by South Park standards it's kinda just... another Tuesday.
JVM

Postby JVM » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:38 am

triplemultiplex wrote:Most of the episode was too flat for me. I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop; for something crazy to happen that screws them out of their Whole Foods. Like I can't believe Mr. Garrison didn't show up in act 3 to say something racist. The complication they did throw in with the brawl in the street was completely shrugged off. The Whole Foods guy catches a bunch of adults beating up children in the street and he's like, whatever, you can have your over-priced grocery store.

Even Kenny's story was a little flat. He didn't really do anything. He gets the job at City Wok and then gets paid. Other than that, he's just a background image for the fake commercials. And the sweet moment at the end comes from nowhere. His gift to Karen (I assume that's still her name) while nice and all, isn't set up earlier in the episode. Instead we only have her confused as to why they can't eat at the nice restaurants outside.
South Park episodes are almost never built with an ending in mind and I feel many an episode has fallen due to having a lot of build-up and a bad pay-off as a result of this problem. I consider it a general writing problem of Matt and Trey, unfortunately.

This episode was no exception, but I also chalk part of that up to a likely production thing. The material released focused clearly on Kenny and City Wok, and I highly doubt they released the final sequence of the episode knowing it would be such. My guess is the focus shifted during production and they made that emotional moment the finale as a result.

It was a little easier for me to swallow because I knew the scene had to be coming, so it wasn't as disappointing than if it had come out of nowhere.
South Park is a platform for Matt and Trey's social commentary and satire; there is no canon and these characters only serve as tools for self-expression. Don't get attached.
djdomain

Postby djdomain » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:23 am

It is good that South Park is showing us what faux-progressiveness really is, a facade of enlightenment not to hide actual bigotry but to appease those who kafkatrap others to appear 'more moral than thou'. From the other comments it appears everyone has blue balls waiting for the PCs to get their comeuppance, and I'm sure they will, probably when Kyle finally gets to make the biggest of his gay little speeches ever!
stevesut1

Postby stevesut1 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:05 pm

Nice episode. Looking forward to seeing where they're going with all this progressive, PC stuff. I imagine it'll all come crashing down eventually.
KawaiiPrincessuKenny

Postby KawaiiPrincessuKenny » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:44 pm

Seeing Kenny give his sister that doll pulled all my heartstrings, especially when he went to bed afterwards and we see all the luxury of the new SoDaSoPa outside his window. I had almost forgotten how much of a big brother he is.

I feel as if the theme for this season is defeat. "Face it, the world has become a crappy place and we can't do anything about it." Something like that?
KeeperIXX

Postby KeeperIXX » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:45 pm

stevesut1 wrote:Nice episode. Looking forward to seeing where they're going with all this progressive, PC stuff. I imagine it'll all come crashing down eventually.
Me too, I thought this episode would show more opposition toward PC Principal and the whole forced-progressiveness thing, no such luck, but I'm glad this show does address how even seemingly benign actions and intentions can have hurtful consequences to those effected by it.

To be fair, between Mr. Garrison, Mr. Kim, and the McCormicks, I get the feeling the show's building up to people being ready to rise against this forced-progression once it starts to go too far.

If nothing else, barring a lackluster premiere, Season 19 is actually doing a good job putting an engaging story arc that's clearly building up to something.

I look forward to seeing where they go from here.
James--76

Postby James--76 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:36 pm

Best part of the episode was when the cow got shot in the head found it slightly boring really i got a couple of laughs. Am i right in thinking theres no show next week? i can`t get on to the US site now as redirects me to the UK site.
Kyle: Why? How could you do this? There are people starving in Alabama and you give Cartman a million dollars?

Cartman: Line? Lines! I HATE LINES!!!
kfgg

Postby kfgg » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:17 am

By the way, they were right about Whole Foods. Closest Whole Foods to me is in Milwaukee. A guy I know works at a complex called "The Standard at East Library" which basically is exactly like what they were parodying in the fake commercials.

Interestingly enough, the Whole Foods is about a block away from there.

You won't find a Whole Foods in the city I live in.

South of here, in Evanston, Illinois there's 3 Whole Foods locations. Evanston is having plenty of gentrification going on. The areas surrounding it are very upscale, and also have several Whole Foods locations.
Stan and Kyle :)

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”