*1906: Tweek x Craig* Pre-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

Niels0827

Re: *1906: Tweek x Craig* Pre-Air Discussion

Postby Niels0827 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:44 am

jmsouthpark wrote:Meanwhile, Cartman, who struggles to understand his friends’ relationship, finds he has an admirer of his own."

omfg OMFG PLEASE LET THIS BE KYLE IM SCREAMING
Holy. Shit. If you want your gay fix, just go to San Francisco.

I'm very glad these two get an episode. It's about time they became involved, because they're highly-developed characters and have a lot of potential for humorous scenes.

I also hope this episode takes a jab at slash and yaoi as opposed to endorsing it, because those two concepts have demolished the entire South Park fandom and destroyed some people's willingness to openly associate with the show. It's mind-boggling how many people turn the characters gay for their own personal fetish or preference to use in their artwork or fan fiction (none of which I read anyway). It's supposed to be an adult cartoon but it instead attracts prepubescent teenagers who fantasize about a frotting session between Stan and Kyle, Tweek and Craig, Cartman and Kyle, Cartman and Butters, or Kenny and anyone. I don't care about all that jazz in and of itself, but when it has this kind of prevalence and dominance within the fandom, it's beyond disturbing. Nobody can search DeviantArt for proper South Park artwork without 95% of the results returning some form of yaoi and slash.

I've shared this opinion before and been called a homophobe for it, so please do call me anti-gay if you want to, because I voted against California's Proposition 8, my stepsister and one of my best friends are gay, and I've given loud and angry verbal beatdowns to anti-gay protesters outside festivals, parks, and political rallies.
kfgg

Postby kfgg » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:01 am

I'm beyond fanart and fanfiction and shipping wars. But I've been rooting for Stan & Kyle's close friendship, possible romantic relationship for 12 years. I used to enjoy some of the fanfiction, but these days I just want them to be on good terms in the actual show. That's all I hope for every week.

For that reason, I hope they're kept out of this. Those two are special to me, and any negativity between them ruins my week. Yes, it's not all about me. I know that. I'm just putting my thoughts out there.

Sure, I'd love to see them as a couple one day, but with dignity. Frankly Stan and Kyle becoming an actual couple could easily relax a huge amount of the nasty shipping wars. It wouldn't take much effort either.

That said, this upcoming episode scares me to death and it's not even finished.
Stan and Kyle :)
John_117

Postby John_117 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:02 am

Niels0827 wrote:I also hope this episode takes a jab at slash and yaoi as opposed to endorsing it, because those two concepts have demolished the entire South Park fandom and destroyed some people's willingness to openly associate with the show. It's mind-boggling how many people turn the characters gay for their own personal fetish or preference to use in their artwork or fan fiction (none of which I read anyway). It's supposed to be an adult cartoon but it instead attracts prepubescent teenagers who fantasize about a frotting session between Stan and Kyle, Tweek and Craig, Cartman and Kyle, Cartman and Butters, or Kenny and anyone. I don't care about all that jazz in and of itself, but when it has this kind of prevalence and dominance within the fandom, it's beyond disturbing. Nobody can search DeviantArt for proper South Park artwork without 95% of the results returning some form of yaoi and slash.
I'm not going to bother arguing about prop 8, but I will add that most of the slash pairings are completely out of character. At best, Cartman's sexual attractions are left ambiguous, but literally every other kid in the show has demonstrated over and over that they are straight. I'm not hating on gays, but to turn them gay in a fanfic is completely out of character.

Then again, my bias also stems from such slash not being written very well. What I'm trying to say is that those pairings you mentioned literally wouldn't make sense.

I think this person describes shipping best:

http://cusackanne.deviantart.com/art/Ca ... -558436067
Niels0827

Postby Niels0827 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:11 am

John_117 wrote:I'm not going to bother arguing about prop 8
That's good, because Prop 8's supporters lost and will continue to lose their case as society moves forward. Arguments in favor of it are nothing more than religious dogma.

But since you've made your opinion on the matter visible, you'll want to be prepared to back it up should I or anyone else call into question its legitimacy or logic. Consider this statement such a provocation.
John_117

Postby John_117 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:15 am

Although if Craig and/or Tweek does end up turning gay, I'm going to take back everything I said in this thread rofl.
Niels0827 wrote:
John_117 wrote:I'm not going to bother arguing about prop 8
That's good, because Prop 8's supporters lost and will continue to lose their case as society moves forward. Arguments in favor of it are nothing more than religious dogma.

But since you've made your opinion on the matter visible, you'll want to be prepared to back it up should I or anyone else call into question its legitimacy or logic. Consider this statement such a provocation.
Lol what? I didn't say whether I was for or against prop 8, r u ok?
VACOOLA

Postby VACOOLA » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:21 am

Hmmm. A Haloween special mocking countless yaoi-crazed fangirls? Plus a reference to an old classic episode? This alone is highly unusual, not to mention the return of Cartman's Cupid Me. Though I wouldn't say it's long overdue, it definitely sounds like it could be fun, considering we are halfway through the season and there hasn't been a single episode that I could call decent, let alone great. I hope they can pull it off. Mr. Adler should probably get a part in it too, for the old times' sake.

But why the Asian girls? Are non-Asians any different when it comes to yaoi/slash? The fact the guys are asking the very fangirls they are going to rip on to submit their "art" only adds to the irony.

There will never be a cuter slash pairing than Saddam/Satan. I wonder if those two are still together.

As for Cartman's secret admirer, it's obviously himself. Who else could it possibly be?
kfgg

Postby kfgg » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:40 am

Trey knows a thing or two about Japan. In the mid 1990s, up to 500k of Japan's population was into Yaoi, mostly females. Now with the advance of the internet, it has grown bigtime.

I'm pretty sure they know all about it. They introduced a few new Asian students, one named Liza. I believe they are Japanese. If any time is the right time to bring up the subject, the new girls would be a good way to do it.
Stan and Kyle :)
JVM

Postby JVM » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:50 am

VACOOLA wrote:But why the Asian girls? Are non-Asians any different when it comes to yaoi/slash?
In theory, yes -- in practice, no.

"Yaoi" is a Japanese term, as are terms like "uke" and "seme", which are prevalent in the slash subcommunity. A lot of fan art in aforementioned subcommunity, especially more popular stuff, is anime-influenced as well, which is probably the kind of stuff Trey and Matt are looking for. Asian people are generally assumed to draw 'anime style'.
As for Cartman's secret admirer, it's obviously himself. Who else could it possibly be?
Watch the preview clip. "Do you think I'm cute? Because I think you're kind of cute."
South Park is a platform for Matt and Trey's social commentary and satire; there is no canon and these characters only serve as tools for self-expression. Don't get attached.
John_117

Postby John_117 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:52 am

JVM wrote:Watch the preview clip. "Do you think I'm cute? Because I think you're kind of cute."
Honestly I take everything Cartman says with a grain of salt because usually he's scheming, trolling, or bordering insanity lol.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:54 am

nall wrote:Press images:
http://southparkstudios.mtvnimages.com/ ... age-01.jpg
http://southparkstudios.mtvnimages.com/ ... age-02.jpg

Also from the extended description:
"Meanwhile, Cartman, who struggles to understand his friends’ relationship, finds he has an admirer of his own."

Discuss.
Discussion over. The preview spilled the beans, and all I can say is... who didn't see that coming? :o
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
John_117

Postby John_117 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:55 am

Big-Will wrote:
nall wrote:Press images:
http://southparkstudios.mtvnimages.com/ ... age-01.jpg
http://southparkstudios.mtvnimages.com/ ... age-02.jpg

Also from the extended description:
"Meanwhile, Cartman, who struggles to understand his friends’ relationship, finds he has an admirer of his own."

Discuss.
Discussion over. The preview spilled the beans, and all I can say is... who didn't see that coming? :o
JVM

Postby JVM » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:00 am

This is worth it's own post: Cupid Cartman's penis is visible.
South Park is a platform for Matt and Trey's social commentary and satire; there is no canon and these characters only serve as tools for self-expression. Don't get attached.
djdomain

Postby djdomain » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:50 am

I wonder if the premise of this episode is a throwback to 'The City Part of Town', where the Wholefoods inspector is visiting the classrooms and Mayor McDaniels decides to label Craig as a homosexual (to his annoyance) in order to appear 'diverse' enough. Good chance that if Craig protests against the rumor that he and Tweek are a gay couple then PC Principal will rage at him for not wanting to be gay (or wrongly identified as such).
JVM

Postby JVM » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:21 am

djdomain wrote:I wonder if the premise of this episode is a throwback to 'The City Part of Town', where the Wholefoods inspector is visiting the classrooms and Mayor McDaniels decides to label Craig as a homosexual (to his annoyance) in order to appear 'diverse' enough. Good chance that if Craig protests against the rumor that he and Tweek are a gay couple then PC Principal will rage at him for not wanting to be gay (or wrongly identified as such).
Might even have been foreshadowing, something almost untold of in South Park. (That is to say, M&T tossed it in as a nod to an episode that was still in planning but not in full production, yet.)

S19's going to get tight again now, I think.
Stanluv25

Postby Stanluv25 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:27 am

Oh god, just what I don't want to see, a ton of Tweek and Craig shippers. I never understood the draw to those two. It's all based off of the two forced to fight in one episode 15 or so years ago.

Sure Cartman's admire is himself. It wouldn't be another boy or girl. No one at the school can stand him.

This sounds a lot like a Valentine's Day episode, not a Halloween one. Lame.

I'm being really negative so far for this seasons huh? lol Well the stories have been weak so far.
I love: Stan, Butters, Cartman, Sharon.

I ship: Stan/Cartman <3

Stan: MMOOMM!!
Sharon: What is it honey? (gasp!) My baby's killed again!
Haa, I love that line.

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”