*1906: Tweek x Craig* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

nall
Site Admin

Re: *1906: Tweek x Craig* Post-Air Discussion

Postby nall » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:39 pm

nwt000 wrote:
Big-Will wrote: Related question: are Lisa Akimoto, Kelly Zhou, and Heather Nishimura the names of the artists behind the pieces associated with those names, or just random representations of Asian-Americans.
I would venture to guess the latter.
I'm not certain on the source, but I don't think they were named after any contributors.
JVM

Postby JVM » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:49 am

I'll try to look for more information on the artists -- what can be located will be added to our wiki here and I'll post the info here as well once something of a list can be assembled.
Frau_Bippz

Postby Frau_Bippz » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:35 pm

kfgg wrote:
nall wrote:By the way, getting a call from your boss that they "need yaoi fan art of Tweek and Craig asap" is a really, really bizarre experience.
I can't imagine getting a call from my boss asking for such a thing though. And on such a short deadline.
This made me laugh so hard! The echoes of the core of unpolished SP humour at it's best!

Though it's not the first time SP has a Japcrap theme, "Good times with weapons" and the Chinpokomon preceded, and "Titties and dragons" not to forget
I really really hope for a Japcrap themed SP game one day
mario88

Postby mario88 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:50 pm

i watched again the episode, and still made me laugh a lot. so far the best episode of the season (and by far). the best scene was the break up (with the incredible acting skills of tweek :lol: ) but also made me laugh very hard tweek's dad crying like a baby because of it. this is one of those episodes i will watch ten times or more and still laugh every single time.

i'd say it is a 9/10 episode. it could have been a 10/10, but cartman masturbating was a bit over the top imho.

also, i wish the world was so open and tolerant to gay people like the town of South Park, where even the "they took my job" redneck and the catholic priest are happy for tweek and craig.
He is the record!
Artura

Postby Artura » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:54 am

I really loved this episode! My favorite episode to date right now. XD

I love how they just played on pairings that other fans have been posting about. Best. Episode. Ever. LOL
DanPie

Postby DanPie » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:27 pm

The funny thing is, I never was a fan of anime or manga style in general, but I really liked the yaoi artworks that appeared on the show. I would totally "support local artists" in real life, just to have a South Park related item that I actually like. Call it gay but Tweek and Craig yaoi is the only thing that would hang on my wall so just give me them Japanese girls.
DiesRudderCiao

Postby DiesRudderCiao » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:07 am

I've watched nearly every episode of SP and this one, along with Good Time with Weapon and the Chinese Problem should be the most relevant because I'm from Asia. When I was watching I was thinking: wow, how could they get to know about these Asian sub-cultural yet really popular stuff? I'm not necessarily a yaoi fan but it's hard to escape from its influence as a concomitant of Japanese Anime. So why not Stan and Kyle? I thought this is the most popular couple, haha, but that would be really weird because they are the leading characters.
And it's really bizarre to see Stan and Kyle representing the rational side not taking dominance in recent episodes.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:26 am

Trey loves Japan. :)
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
RenoD

Postby RenoD » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:13 pm

best episode of the season! :lol:
why do tweek and craig keep getting money? :?:
JVM

Postby JVM » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:52 pm

It took me a while to really figure out my opinion on this episode, but after a lot of thinking, I've come to really enjoy it - the parody of the Yaoi genre, particularly compared to early manga of the genre, is really spot-on to it's strengths and weaknesses. It is worth noting that in Yaoi manga, the characters are ofte portrayed as otherwise straight outside of their forbidden homosexual love, so it's fairly plausible to consider Tweek and Craig canonically homosexual by the end of the episode. The episode tackled both extremes here as well by contrasting the Tweak family's overzealous acceptance of Tweek's sexuality versus Thomas' story arc, which is well-done -- probably better than in most (but not all) Yaoi manga or fic. A lot of spotlight should be placed on Thomas and Laura Tucker, who have undergone a lot of expansion and development in the last two seasons and come into their own as interesting characters, although I'm not as fond of the former's voice -- love Laura's new look here though. Perfect blend. Also, a big kudos to Matt Stone for voicing three of the key characters in this episode -- Tweek, Craig, and Craig's Dad. That's a lot more voice acting than he usually does.

There's a lot going on but nothing feels like it's too much or not enough, I think, although I feel Cartman's character arc here is a little too close to Mr. Garrison's arc over fifteen years ago, and there was a strong argument against making Cartman homosexual until this week... nonetheless, a lot of the scenes with the arc are well-done and Liane's reaction is absolutely priceless.

All in all, a crazy episode but a good one!
nall
Site Admin

Postby nall » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:25 am

BTW, as a reminder, we've got a Live Tweet at 9:30pm. Check it out!
lizzyfly

Postby lizzyfly » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:00 pm

I'd give this one a 9/10, as well. It's my favorite episode so far this season, but every time I re-watch it on the DVR, I find myself skimming some of the Cartman subplot. :lol: It's still funny, though. Honestly I don't care whether or not Craig and Tweek become a canon couple in the show, I just love that they've become actual friends, as we saw in the song montage toward the end. I'd love to see more of them either way. :D

Also the artwork was awesome; on Tumblr I follow two of the fan-artists whose works were in the episode, and I admit I "sqeee'd" when I saw their works on-screen. Plus the storyboard artists' works were amazing, as well (and I love the concept art!). I thought the way the show handled poking fun at shipper art was hilarious; they didn't seem to be bashing the fandom at all but rather acknowledged it, not to mention having people submit their art was a great way of letting the fandom participate in the show, in a way. So yeah, two thumbs up! :tweek: :craig:
nall wrote:BTW, as a reminder, we've got a Live Tweet at 9:30pm. Check it out!
I RT'd most of those tweets last week. :mrgreen:
rebert

Postby rebert » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:09 pm

I thought this episode was awesome, and I'm really digging the subtle continuity with their relationship. Despite it being "to keep the town together" I hope we get to go more into that dynamic in the future.
theChriss

Postby theChriss » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:38 pm

Ugh, I really don't like the yaoi fanbase... The episode itself was good but, ugh. So they're not actually gay, are they? Because all shippers are now going crazy saying they are for real. Which, no. They were pressured, right? They didn't "realize they were actually meant for each other" or something, right? Right? Please.

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”