*1907: Naughty Ninjas* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

nall
Site Admin

Re: *1907: Naughty Ninjas* Post-Air Discussion

Postby nall » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:39 am

nwt000 wrote:
nall wrote:
JVM wrote: Yeah, my thinking. SP's never been one for doing that kind of joke where a wife looks like a husband or anything -- even the simple family resemblances are spotty -- look at Tweek's parents (with soft brown hair) and Craig's parents (blonde and red)
So a couple notes on hair color:
1) In some families, children have blonde hair but it darkens when they get older. (This happens in my family, in fact.)
2) I'm guessing is that Craig's mom colors her hair.
Yeah, I think Laura Tucker's hair might actually be black due to the way that blowup doll meant to represent her in order to confuse all of the drones was set up. :wink:
Well, you know "the carpets don't always match the drapes" but I'm inclined to agree.
JVM

Postby JVM » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:43 am

nall wrote:
JVM wrote: Yeah, my thinking. SP's never been one for doing that kind of joke where a wife looks like a husband or anything -- even the simple family resemblances are spotty -- look at Tweek's parents (with soft brown hair) and Craig's parents (blonde and red)
So a couple notes on hair color:
1) In some families, children have blonde hair but it darkens when they get older. (This happens in my family, in fact.)
2) I'm guessing that Craig's mom colors her hair.
It's happened in my family as well on the paternal side, including to my father himself. In the Tweeks' case it's worth noting on a similar token that in a couple shots/scenes in s6, particularly "Child Abduction is Not Funny", Mrs. Tweek's hair is spontaneously blonder than usual.

But I think the point that the animators don't generally design family members with resemblance in mind, particularly married couples, is still validated by those incidents.
sidarlo

Postby sidarlo » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:53 pm

Fantastic episode. Great seeing Barbrady back having a major role in an episode.

Interesting ending as well, maybe Barbrady gets the town back to normal ? long shot

Review of the episode

https://www.the-newshub.com/film-and-tv ... ew-s19-e07
nall
Site Admin

Postby nall » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:26 am

JVM wrote:Nall stated two or three times Mayor McDaniels' first name is Mary, though he's cited "Death" and it's never used on-screen from what I can tell. I compromised by using the name 'Mary' in the text of her wiki article but keeping the link name at Mayor McDaniels. I know in S3, Big-Will was told by the divine Mary Kay Bergman that her name was just 'Mayor McDaniels'.

Full names for Mr. Mackey, Officer Barbrady and Principal Victoria would be great to see -- I honestly feel like they've avoided particularly the first one intentionally. - Mackey's been in focus a lot, especially from S14 thru S17. Priest Maxi's also never been given a full name. Of course, a lot of the mothers don't have names either. If Victoria makes a return, and here's hoping she does, I think her first name is most likely. It'd be cool to see her husband again, too.
I don't recall saying that, but it's possible I did.

We sometimes get full names in scripts or art, but we're reluctant to reveal that stuff because it's not really canon. We saw this just recently with David - his family's name was Tellez in the earlier scripts and artwork, but they changed it to Rodriguez when they actually said it in the latest episode.
JVM wrote:I assumed it was his mother myself, although this means Barbrady's divorced or separated from his wife, though Matt and Trey didn't technically close that door - after all, Maggie Yates disappeared for eleven years :P
I looked into it and, unofficially, you can safely assume the picture is his mother.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:11 am

nall wrote:We sometimes get full names in scripts or art, but we're reluctant to reveal that stuff because it's not really canon. We saw this just recently with David - his family's name was Tellez in the earlier scripts and artwork, but they changed it to Rodriguez when they actually said it in the latest episode.
That's my criterion for canon names - it's gotta be mentioned, and even spelled definitively (Broflovski and Shelley in SP:BLU, for instance)

I suppose later spellings can supersede earlier ones though, like Tweek Tweak (T.M.I.) replacing Tweek Tweek (Gnomes).
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
JVM

Postby JVM » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:45 am

nall wrote:I don't recall saying that, but it's possible I did.

We sometimes get full names in scripts or art, but we're reluctant to reveal that stuff because it's not really canon. We saw this just recently with David - his family's name was Tellez in the earlier scripts and artwork, but they changed it to Rodriguez when they actually said it in the latest episode.
There's a chance it was another admin, but I have a strong memory it first showed up on "Death" after a staff member edited it, with a note like "In this episode, we learn Mayor McDaniels' first name is Mary". In watching the episode, it doesn't seem like it's actually there. This was really early in the wiki's life -- I believe said staff member had edited each S1 episode in order and continued through some of S2 or S3. I can't recall what account it was for a hundred percent sure right now.

I was surprised by that one. I kind of want to assume it was done to drive home the point that Officer Barbrady had shot a Latino-American again, since David wasn't seen outside his ninja garb or anything.

The policy on names is strange sometimes -- I do recall Clyde's name was actively changed back to Donovan several years back after being mentioned as Harris, and Detective Harris seems to have reverted to Sgt. Harrison Yates again. (Is the jury finalized on that one?) Shelly's still in a tough spot and I find myself having trouble staying consistent with her. I also noticed Ned's 'Gerblanski' in Stick of Truth related material and I still wonder if the wiki entry should be shifted to reflect that, but since it only appears in text, it's kind of hard to rely on that alone. SoT's text did contain a few errors, like a random messy-haired blonde kid being called 'Craig'.

I like the behind-the-scenes name information myself -- the 'Detective Harris' phase didn't surprise me because you'd mentioned before it was the script name. Until the old name returned I was half-curious what his new first name would be :P
nall wrote:I looked into it and, unofficially, you can safely assume the picture is his mother.
Thank you! :D
Big-Will wrote:That's my criterion for canon names - it's gotta be mentioned, and even spelled definitively (Broflovski and Shelley in SP:BLU, for instance)

I suppose later spellings can supersede earlier ones though, like Tweek Tweak (T.M.I.) replacing Tweek Tweek (Gnomes).
In Tweek's instance I prefer to think 'Tweek' is a nickname and surname, and that his real first name is something else we don't know yet, keeping in mind Stan, Kenny and likely/presumably Jimmy and Timmy are listed by nicknames. I do respect the official name but while the Tweek parents are goofy, it's hard to imagine them naming their son the same thing as his surname with a syllable shift.

It's a fun game but a confusing one sometimes -- Gerblanski was mentioned above, and there was still some debate about 'Valmer' until "You Have 0 Friends". 'Stevenson' or 'Stephenson' has changed for Ike's former teacher. 'Mephesto' has been pretty standardized since that's how Trey's always written it but there was a period we weren't sure IIRC When Coon and Friends aired for a week a lot of references to Bradley were under 'Bradly' before they returned to 'Bradley'. I still argue with people about 'Jenny Simons', although I think the evidence rests on my side. (Canon text refers to her as 'Simons' and I believe there's three mentions of 'Simons' and only one of 'Simon', but the latter is sometimes preferred because Principal Victoria says it, versus other characters.)

It wouldn't be any fun if everything was easy to figure out though ;)
nwt000

Postby nwt000 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:36 am

So, what happened to their being a live-tweet of this episode tonight? Also, why did The Hobbit never end up being live-tweeted like every other episode since the beginning of Season 17?
JamesPup

Postby JamesPup » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:40 am

nwt000 wrote:So, what happened to their being a live-tweet of this episode tonight? Also, why did The Hobbit never end up being live-tweeted like every other episode since the beginning of Season 17?
I was just about to write the same thing! I want to hear about Naughty Ninjas!!!!
What seems to be the officer problem?
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:39 am

Since the rerun didn't air ("Stunning and Brave" aired instead), one can say it was because of ISIS being mentioned by name in the episode. And ISIS claimed responsibility for the Paris attacks and has said the US and other Western nations would be next.

JVM

Postby JVM » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:01 pm

nwt000 wrote:So, what happened to their being a live-tweet of this episode tonight? Also, why did The Hobbit never end up being live-tweeted like every other episode since the beginning of Season 17?
I was thinking they'd do it next week since it's an off-week -- but good on bringing up "The Hobbit" again. That one still nags at me here and there, when I remember that episode aired.
Since the rerun didn't air ("Stunning and Brave" aired instead), one can say it was because of ISIS being mentioned by name in the episode. And ISIS claimed responsibility for the Paris attacks and has said the US and other Western nations would be next.
I'm also suspecting this as a factor -- I noticed "Stunning and Brave" slotted in.
kfgg

Postby kfgg » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:05 pm

I was wondering the same thing but I'm guessing it's related to safety reasons. They've had threats thrown at them before.
Stan and Kyle :)
lizzyfly

Postby lizzyfly » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:04 pm

JVM wrote:In Tweek's instance I prefer to think 'Tweek' is a nickname and surname, and that his real first name is something else we don't know yet, keeping in mind Stan, Kenny and likely/presumably Jimmy and Timmy are listed by nicknames. I do respect the official name but while the Tweek parents are goofy, it's hard to imagine them naming their son the same thing as his surname with a syllable shift.
I've thought the same thing! I'd love for an episode to come out where the kids somehow figure out Tweek's got a "normal" first name like everyone else, and for his response to everyone to be, "Did you really think my name was Tweek Tweak?" :lol: I'm weird like that, though.

Also it's worth noting that their last name is still spelled "Tweek" in Stick of Truth (especially when you see the videos on Youtube of the game with subtitles - although that could be a case of whoever does the subtitles put in the wrong spelling), the same as in Gnomes, whereas on the wiki, and in TMI, their last name is spelled "Tweak". I just assumed at this point it might be partially intentional, maybe mocking name changes and spell changes, but I could be wrong. I could also be wrong on where it's spelled which way... I'll have to double check later.

Back on topic, I'd also figure that they cancelled the live tweet because of what happened in Paris. As someone already pointed out, considering they've gotten threats before, that's a possibility this time, as well.
JVM

Postby JVM » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:01 am

lizzyfly wrote: I've thought the same thing! I'd love for an episode to come out where the kids somehow figure out Tweek's got a "normal" first name like everyone else, and for his response to everyone to be, "Did you really think my name was Tweek Tweak?" :lol: I'm weird like that, though.

Also it's worth noting that their last name is still spelled "Tweek" in Stick of Truth (especially when you see the videos on Youtube of the game with subtitles - although that could be a case of whoever does the subtitles put in the wrong spelling), the same as in Gnomes, whereas on the wiki, and in TMI, their last name is spelled "Tweak". I just assumed at this point it might be partially intentional, maybe mocking name changes and spell changes, but I could be wrong. I could also be wrong on where it's spelled which way... I'll have to double check later.
The wiki used the spelling given in TMI, I believe, and it actually appeared in the FAQ here years before that. I'm never sure if to rely on SoT's subs -- the Craig f*ck-up is huge to me.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:31 am

The Tweak answer has been surprisingly consistent over the years, except the first time it was asked...
March 25, 2010 wrote:
Q: I know you guys might think I'm an idiot, but what is Tweak's full name?? I've never caught it...

A: You're not an idiot, I just think you need some coffee. Tweak's full name is "Tweek Tweak".
August 8, 2002 wrote:
Q: Is "Tweek" his first name or his last name?

A: Tweek's name is "Tweek Tweak"
April 22, 2001 wrote:
Q: Is Tweek's last name Tweek too?

A: His last name is Tweak!
April 19, 2001 wrote:
Q: I'm confused, is Tweek's name spelled Tweek or Tweak? And is Tweek's(Tweak) last name Tweek (Tweak) too? My friends and I want to know.

A: It's Tweek.
But in "Tweek vs. Craig," not even two years before the two FAQs directly above, we get this
June 23, 1999 wrote:Image
I didn't even go to the official script for this, just to the video. For 12 years I held that "Tweek Tweek" was the correct spelling, until "T.M.I." aired. And of course, Mr. Tweek's badge says "Mr. Tweek" the first time he appeared in "Gnomes."

mario88

Postby mario88 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:57 am

This has been one of the smartest episodes ever. The way I see it, parker and stone have described terrorism better than anyone else so far, including sociologists and psychologists. And they did it before the tragic events (doing it after, like many people did, would have been much easier, while doing it before means that you actually understand how the world and human psychology work). After the facts in Paris, I don't feel like talking a lot about this episode, though, because it is like talking about something that still causes a lot of pain.

Only a word about Leslie: a lot of people had already seen it coming, but still, that little girl being the origin of doom in south park made me laugh so hard. XD
He is the record!

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”