*1907: Naughty Ninjas* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

morgan2076

Re: *1907: Naughty Ninjas* Post-Air Discussion

Postby morgan2076 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:35 am

The PC arc is going strong. SouthPark is in the tight fist of PC correctness run amok and as Randy says its only been a month since they got a WholeFoods and now they don't need the Police, until they do, to get rid of the homeless druggies that are shooting up and then laying on the sidewalk or asking for $ in front of Shi Tpa. In the meantime the first development wave of SodaSopa has gone to the dogs, like most cities have experienced the broken promises of City Hall where they want to gentrify the area, bring in $3000/mo luxury apartments with private message therapists on hand, and build around the one or two houses that still there making life miserable for those inhabitants only to see that development get sidelined when a "WholeFoods" comes in and a new development springs up. Southpark does a great job of pointing out the throwaway mentality of neighborhoods in search of the next best thing which PC-ness brings with it.

So with no police and now the Ninja's playing at SodaSopa while hooking up with ISIS and the clueless parents only seeing children gone bad when in effect its parents gone stupid, they get Officer Barbrady, the lonely beat cop who's been in Southpark since before the City Council members were city council members, and after firing him, go to him, play on his innate goodness and sense of responsibility along with needing to be 'needed', to get rid of the 'terrorist'...element in town. As Officer Barbrady approaches the kids, he's trying to talk to them, understanding their sense of isolation, and as Randy goes bursting in, he tackles Officer Barbrady who accidentally shoots one of the kids in the shoulder. What happens? The City Council who approached him the night before to get rid of their problem now turns on him again as he's a relic. Just like SodaSopa.

The episode turns on the concepts of 'at any minute you too might be swept into the dust bin of history' and 'you have no value in today's PC society despite it being PC'. I give it a 9/10 - it got a little repetitive with the constant Ninja who's who but that too played into the theme that there was no differentiation in the Ninjas despite pointing out religion or sexual preferences. You were a cog in the the machine and only if you made enough of a wave between yourself and others would people be upset & you'd be kicked out.

Great points.
kfgg

Postby kfgg » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:33 am

Since this is only one part of what will be a 2 or 3 part episode, maybe even a 4 part I can't give any opinions just yet.
Stan and Kyle :)
JVM

Postby JVM » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:09 pm

The satire was a tad flat, but the character stuff was strong -- but that's what I wanted and expected. A full parody of the police brutality movement was virtually impossible to do effectively.

After ten years, it's great to see Officer Barbrady in the spotlight again and my note on his lack of development outside of his uniform proved wise, as it sets up his personal crisis, which is done beautifully and subtly, and like Mayor McDaniels' widowhood last week, is some of the most poignant stuff this show's produced. It's curious what happened to his wife - is that woman in the photograph in back his wife? - but the dog was a great choice, especially for South Park, which doesn't throw pets around as liberally as other media. The callback to his former status as the town's lone officer was fantastic and managed to work it's way into the plot -- "You've been here longer than almost anyone" was no doubt a reference to Barbrady being one of the only three adult characters still around since the Pilot -- Garrison's already out so we might want to keep an eye on Liane Cartman.

I'd have liked to see a little more of Yates and co. in the wake of being sacked though -- the fact they're just putsing around the police department felt goofy, as much as I loved the setup for the 'Hula' gag which was just fantastic. Having Barbrady getting in trouble for an accidental shooting while Yates and co. are openly racist but smart enough to avoid getting in trouble was a cool juxtaposition to play with and saved the satirical element of the episode by making Barbrady still seem sympathetic without making it seem as if Matt and Trey are subverting the idea of racism in cops. The 'f*ck the Police' montage was bloody brillitant but it did move quickly.

This one reminded me a tad of my last fanfic as of this writing, lol

I'm usually one of the first serious fans to come to Randy's defense but he felt really unneeded this week -- I've forgiven it every other time this season but somehow this one felt like too much. I assume they kept him on board so they could have him freak out over dinner like they did, but I think it was Randy's unintentional sabotage of Officer Barbrady and the fact he mirrored Cartman twice that made it bug me. Nonetheless, Randy and Stephen seem to have a lot of unexplained clout. I also noticed Mrs. Testaburger with the Mayor and co. again but again, with no lines. I did enjoy the dinner scene though, and it's fantastic to see Grandpa Marsh back at home with meaningful dialogue -- I have a soft spot for the old man.

That brings us to the ninja plot. I jokingly questioned if they'd do a 'Jews can't be ninjas' joke but didn't expect to actually see it as part of the storyline. Cartman's running gags were all pretty funny, if typical Cartman, amongst the kids, but it became disappointing that Kenny and Token didn't actually do much as ninja leaders, Jimmy and his parents' misunderstanding about it was beautiful and felt like a nice nod back to "Krazy Kripples". While I found the plot amusing, it did still feel kind of like an inferior rehash of "Good Times With Weapons" and the brief usage of ISIS wasn't enough to make it feel totally fresh. I wonder if this game'll be continued next week or if it's just for this one? It did feel like it failed to pan out fully. The involvement of the Homeless People, however, was bizzare to me, especially because it didn't carry much in the plot -- I was kind of hoping for a "Night of the Living Homeless" nod. Really all Trey needed for that was one criminal to f*ck with the McCormicks to justify the ninja game or hell, just have the kids play ninja just for fun, with Cartman only agreeing for popularity, but I actually think the rest could've sorted itself out just fine.

That ending was f*cking amazing. No further comment, except to note the Man in Black sounded unfamiliar.

I bet I sound bitchy, but I loved this episode. Tied for my new favorite of the season with last week and "The City Part of Town". Trey and Matt have really started to embrace the idea of expanding on their minor characters lately and anyone who knows me knows that is my JAM with this show.

I noticed David Teelez is now David Rodriguez -- the former name never appeared on the show but came from Nall. I wonder what the deal behind the scenes with that is. Needed something more stereotypically Hispanic to punch the joke a little further?

I imagine the PC Carnival storyline that was cut will be pushed to next week, ala the concert stuff from "The Cissy" being pushed out to "#REHASH".
What makes you say that about the spouse? I didn't catch it if there was something.
I assume he's referring to a photograph of a woman highly resembling him on his wall next to the 'COP SAVES TOWN FROM CHICKENLOVER' newspaper clipping. I assumed it was his mother myself, although this means Barbrady's divorced or separated from his wife, though Matt and Trey didn't technically close that door - after all, Maggie Yates disappeared for eleven years :P
I had to look it up but you, sir, are correct. Bravo.
She's also mentioned in "Spookyfish" when he talks to Randy about Aunt Flo's death in the final scene before he asks to be left with his dignity.

I always imagined Barbrady was secretly married to the Mayor since it was an easy excuse for why they've been seen having multiple sexual encounters together (vs. Barbrady having an affair) and why they usually appeared together even after Yates' introduction. (S9's "Die Hippie, Die" for example.) The two definitely have a strong relationship of some kind, even if it's platonic. Of course, up until last week it had been implied three or four times Mayor McDaniels was a lesbian, so... y'never know.
Nicovic

Postby Nicovic » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:36 pm

I tried to watch this episode. Then had to rewatch it couple of times, because sadly I didn't understood boys' dialogues when they dressed up as ninjas. Their voices were so muffled. And It was so uncomfortable, so I couldn't sadly understand what they were mostly saying sadly. I guess I will have to wait until it will be uploaded on this site, with subs and audio description. I was really kind of dissapointed by their muffled sounds to be honest, so, mostly of this ninja plot didn't really got understood by me. Even voluming sound up - It still was so unclear to understand for me.
But random music in background when people were looking at them were so damn hilarious!
Poor Officer Barbrady, it was so weird by seeing him without sunglasses. His face profile looks a lot like Jimbo!
It was so great! That cliffhanger ! I went pretty shocked and surprised when there's something big incoming to South Park. Wow ! I am so unpatience to see another episode !
Deaf South Park fan. :) Feel free to make friend with me, I won't bite. :)
KeeperIXX

Postby KeeperIXX » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:14 pm

Well, that episode was great! The whole Ninja-Isis confusion was certainly very funny. Though I wonder if that part where Isis transferred money to those kids will play a role in a later episode.

I think I especially love the part where the Police took up running a hula school as a way to giving a middle finger to the people that decided police are no longer needed. Odd that South Park didn't get straight-up plunged into chaos over rejecting the police... but I guess crime has always seldom been one of South Park's biggest problems.

But I think I'm mostly happy that we finally see at least some of what this PC Wave is building up to, and at the very least, we know that PC Principal and Leslie are at the center of all this.

And seeing that investigator at the end? my thought was; "About time we saw someone taking a stand against this madness."

Hopefully this means my previous prediction of this episode being the 'beginning of the end' of South Park's PC wave was actually even more spot-on than even I was expecting.
scottync

Postby scottync » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:17 pm

Fun episode. I like episodes where the boys are just being boys and the adults all ridiculously overreact. I'm excited to see what's going to come out of that final scene with Barbrady and the suit! Was it just me, or did the suit sound like he was voiced by Bill Hader?
nwt000

Postby nwt000 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:30 pm

Bill Hader was almost certainly the voice of the investigator who showed up at the end to speak with Barbrady. It's strange that after all of these years, we still have absolutely no idea what Officer Barbrady, Mr. Mackey and Mayor McDaniels' first names are or the slightest notion to what Principal Victoria's last name is. Could we perhaps end up learning what their full names are prior to this season's conclusion? I would really like it if they finally got revealed.
James--76

Postby James--76 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:57 pm

I really liked this episode just boys being boys had to laugh a few times at gay vs. scary . Looking forward to rest of the season.
Kyle: Why? How could you do this? There are people starving in Alabama and you give Cartman a million dollars?

Cartman: Line? Lines! I HATE LINES!!!
kfgg

Postby kfgg » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:53 pm

I hope Leslie isn't the cause of this problem or anything. I really felt bad for her getting yelled at by PC Principal all this time. Jeeze.
Stan and Kyle :)
Mamont

Postby Mamont » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:06 pm

Not bad. I was wondering where's the "shut your pie hole Leslie" going.
I was nice to see Barbrady getting attention for once, and finally learn something about his private life.
Ninjas being mistaken for ISIS was funny. Especially with Jimmy's parents.
At first I thought we'd see Kenny as Mysterion.
John_117 wrote:PC = Political Correctness, Politically Correct, etc.

PC backwards is CP.

CP = Crab People.
Holly crab! It all makes sense. Crab people are using PC to infiltrate us. Since they will be regarded as a minority, they'll be protected. They even tried to get rid of cops, but failed.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:18 am

Before I go back and read everyone's comments, I'll share mine.

This is the best episode this season so far by a long shot. They found a hilarious angle on the current climate of police relations and did it with a great story for Barbrady. He came across as incredibly sympathetic. Oh my god, did he ever. That scene where goes home to his old dog; shit man I haven't felt that kind of emotional tug since The Poor Kid. I think half of it is the voice. Barbrady's voice is usually trying to say something authority-like or something dumb. But when Trey put that little bit of sadness into the voice this week; wow! It's seriously haunting me. And to see at the end that Barbrady might be the lynch pin for the season's arc after what happened to him, that seriously boosts my optimism for the last 3 episodes.

Violence involving police is a pretty unfunny issue, but the way they showed two absurd views on it made it funny. The town's overreaction was excellent; so glad they were able to spin NWA for that montage. I loved it! Then the police overreaction to what the town did; even better. The cops liking beating up minorities is funny in the context of The Jeffersons where another indictment of police was made funny by taking it to an extreme. Harrison Yates; you've done more than kissed guys before. ;)

The ninjas story with the boys was good, although Fatass was making me want to punch him again with his selfish lies. That was a classic SP-style story; the boys doing something that seems fun and they are oblivious to how it looks or why it might be a problem.

The season arc is looking a lot better. Nice to see there might be a point to that running gag of PC Principle telling Leslie to shut the f*ck up at all the assemblies. Figures they always drop a great episode when I can't watch it live.

You read it! You can't unread it!
JVM

Postby JVM » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:15 am

Bill Hader was almost certainly the voice of the investigator who showed up at the end to speak with Barbrady. It's strange that after all of these years, we still have absolutely no idea what Officer Barbrady, Mr. Mackey and Mayor McDaniels' first names are or the slightest notion to what Principal Victoria's last name is. Could we perhaps end up learning what their full names are prior to this season's conclusion? I would really like it if they finally got revealed.
Nall stated two or three times Mayor McDaniels' first name is Mary, though he's cited "Death" and it's never used on-screen from what I can tell. I compromised by using the name 'Mary' in the text of her wiki article but keeping the link name at Mayor McDaniels. I know in S3, Big-Will was told by the divine Mary Kay Bergman that her name was just 'Mayor McDaniels'.

Full names for Mr. Mackey, Officer Barbrady and Principal Victoria would be great to see -- I honestly feel like they've avoided particularly the first one intentionally. - Mackey's been in focus a lot, especially from S14 thru S17. Priest Maxi's also never been given a full name. Of course, a lot of the mothers don't have names either. If Victoria makes a return, and here's hoping she does, I think her first name is most likely. It'd be cool to see her husband again, too.
Holly crab! It all makes sense. Crab people are using PC to infiltrate us. Since they will be regarded as a minority, they'll be protected. They even tried to get rid of cops, but failed.
I'd love this if it was true, but cynically, I think Matt and Trey usually seem super embarrassed by the whole Crab People thing and I don't expect to see them again.

A minor note but Sgt. Harrison Yates has been back to his old look just about all season so far -- around mid-S15 to S17 his hair was smoothed over a bit and his blue-ish belt was removed, and his gun holster darkened, but he's been back to the old look this year. I also noticed Tuong Lu Kim had his old thick black cheekbones in "Stunning and Brave" before returning to his smoothed look from S15 in "The City Part of Town". On the other hand, Steve Black and Linda Black got a new look in "1%" but returned to their old ones until Steve got his new look back in "The City Part of Town" and Linda's still her old one. I've also mentioned Laura Tucker still used her old look in crowd shots after "The Magic Bush" -- let's see if the new "Tweek x Craig" look standardizes. It's my personal favorite :)
JamesPup

Postby JamesPup » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:42 pm

So does anyone else feel there may be some negative repercussions to this episode because of it joking on ISIS and with the terror attack in Paris today? I mean I'm hearing 60 are confirmed dead rate now. Maybe South Park should lay off the terrorist jokes for a while? I guess we will have to see if ISIS says anything about the episode as a reason for the attack or will they issue a threat to South Park Studios? I'm all for people being allowed to joke on anything but it is dangerous to stoke a flame like this these terrorists. I know I wanted jokes on ISIS so I am feeling guilty.
What seems to be the officer problem?
FatAbbottttt

Postby FatAbbottttt » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:49 pm

So Barbrady is PC Principals dad. Interesting. 8)
FatAbbottttt

Postby FatAbbottttt » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:53 pm

PC Principal, I am your father. - Barbrady

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”