*1907: Naughty Ninjas* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

nwt000

Re: *1907: Naughty Ninjas* Post-Air Discussion

Postby nwt000 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:28 pm

JamesPup wrote:So does anyone else feel there may be some negative repercussions to this episode because of it joking on ISIS and with the terror attack in Paris today? I mean I'm hearing 60 are confirmed dead rate now. Maybe South Park should lay off the terrorist jokes for a while? I guess we will have to see if ISIS says anything about the episode as a reason for the attack or will they issue a threat to South Park Studios? I'm all for people being allowed to joke on anything but it is dangerous to stoke a flame like this these terrorists. I know I wanted jokes on ISIS so I am feeling guilty.
I doubt this episode set off the terrorist attacks taking place in Paris. First off, ISIS themselves barely had any screen-time in the episode. Second of all, there are a couple of far more sensitive and direct incidents that really prompted the attacks, including the airstrike death of Mohammed Emwazi, aka Jihadi John, the man who executed multiple foreign hostages, typically by beheading them, and was featured in videos released by ISIS revealing the hostages they had taken and their subsequent executions along with a French airstrike on an ISIS-controlled oilfield a couple of weeks ago, the latter of which would suggest why Paris was chosen as the target for these attacks. The coordination of this attack may also suggest that this whole massacre may have been in the works well before either of those events occurred, let alone before this show's most recent episode aired. In conclusion, the ongoing tragedy in Paris has almost certainly nothing to do with the show, let alone Wednesday night's episode.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:06 am

JamesPup wrote:So does anyone else feel there may be some negative repercussions to this episode because of it joking on ISIS and with the terror attack in Paris today? I mean I'm hearing 60 are confirmed dead rate now. Maybe South Park should lay off the terrorist jokes for a while? I guess we will have to see if ISIS says anything about the episode as a reason for the attack or will they issue a threat to South Park Studios? I'm all for people being allowed to joke on anything but it is dangerous to stoke a flame like this these terrorists. I know I wanted jokes on ISIS so I am feeling guilty.
Bah! If that's one's response to terrorism, then it's an admission that terrorism works. They've been over this point many times on the show.

You read it! You can't unread it!
Milo Vonnegut

Postby Milo Vonnegut » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:43 am

Aside from addressing police brutality, this episode is mainly about false empathy and our passive aggressive nature as a society.

Sure, these cops are racist f*cks who love to hurt the under-privilaged. But it's like Ice Cube once said, "Either America don't know, don't show, or don't care." So basically the people of the town didn't mind as long as it didn't interfere with their happiness. I mean no called out the police for their racism in "Mr. Jefferson" even after Yates opening said "no need to put a poor black man in jail" revealing his ugly racism. It wasn't until the town's reputation was at stake that the people decided to act.

It's interesting how that turned their backs on Barbrady twice for accidentally shooting a child, but let by-gones be by-gones when the actual racist and proud cops beat up the homeless people. Rather than show compassion for these people. Why? Because it (indirectly) effected them.

Then again, it isn't the first time the adults have shown how insincere they are. Randy has a few moments in "Safe Space".
JVM

Postby JVM » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:38 am

I think South Park has done enough terrorism jokes for one season, but that thought has little to do with today's attacks... keep in mind, ISIS videos were used in "You're Not Yelping" as well just a couple weeks ago. They also weren't especially funny in that instance, this one was a better nod.
Sure, these cops are racist f*cks who love to hurt the under-privilaged. But it's like Ice Cube once said, "Either America don't know, don't show, or don't care." So basically the people of the town didn't mind as long as it didn't interfere with their happiness. I mean no called out the police for their racism in "Mr. Jefferson" even after Yates opening said "no need to put a poor black man in jail" revealing his ugly racism. It wasn't until the town's reputation was at stake that the people decided to act.
Don't forget that Sgt. Yates and his men deny and subvert, cover up the truth, make up stories, and frame innocent people for crimes they didn't commit -- in "The Jeffersons", the Detectives go to great lengths to frame Mr. Jefferson for crimes to have an excuse to arrest him, including trying to frame him for rape, for example. And indeed, at the end of this episode, while they brutalize and rough up homeless people, they don't use guns or try to kill them. It's much more Freddie Gray than Ferguson. They make sure the townspeople aren't watching in both major instances, and "A Nightmare on Face Time" suggests cover-ups in Yates' favor may be common. There's also a black policeman who is visible in this episode and some others, and spoke in "City Sushi". I might also note Foley bragged about using excessive force to Yates in "Miss Teacher Bangs a Boy", implying it's even a rite of passage for cops in town.

Officer Barbrady has accidents and can be oblivious, but he's generally honest and well-meaning. The only key difference I noticed in this episode is he uses lethal force via weapon. I don't know what to assume about Barkley - he seems nice at Skeeter's Bar but he helps beat up minorities at the end of the episode.

Cops who spoke this episode:
- Officer Barbrady
- Sgt. Harrison "Harris" Yates
- Detective "Mitch" Murphey (back after a five-year absence!)
- Officer "Mitch" Barkley (at Skeeter's Bar; voiced by Trey instead of Matt)
- Officer Stevens (visually prominent in the 'f*ck Da Police' montage in ShiTpaTown but no lines)
South Park is a platform for Matt and Trey's social commentary and satire; there is no canon and these characters only serve as tools for self-expression. Don't get attached.
Milo Vonnegut

Postby Milo Vonnegut » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:35 am

The point I'm trying to make is the town is hypocritical and insincere. Not just the police, everyone is guilty! Why fire Barbrady for shooting a kid, and yet in the same breath hire cops (who are essential thugs) to deal the homeless and allowing them to get away with?

And here's the thing: The adults don't truly care about the little Latino boy's well being, they are only reacting because the town is now seen as progressive and they want protect their new reputation. When they said "We don't take kindly to folks who impose their authority on the under-privlaged,"it's only because they are hopping on the PC band wagon, they don't mean.

Officer Barbrady has accidents and can be oblivious, but he's generally honest and well-meaning. The only key difference I noticed in this episode is he uses lethal force via weapon. I don't know what to assume about Barkley - he seems nice at Skeeter's Bar but he helps beat up minorities at the end of the episode.
As authority and political figures always say when things go awry, "Mistake were made." haha. I do feel bad for Barbrady. Although in real life, I would probably fire him as well, you don't want police officer who are incapable of the simplest task running around shooting people by accident.

JVM wrote:- Officer Stevens (visually prominent in the 'f*ck Da Police' montage in ShiTpaTown but no lines)
By the way, is Officer Stevens related to Bebe? Possibly her father?

(I haven't heard that song since I saw Straight Outta Compton, best movie theater experience ever, because I was the only person in the theater)
Stanluv25

Postby Stanluv25 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:52 am

Umm... hm... well the funny bits were Cartman's selfish statements and mixing up which boy was which, then pretending he was Token. XD I liked the idea of the boys doing something as innocent as playing ninjas but everyone else thinking they are terrorists. And of course the only kids that were shot were minorities. But I dunno, seeing kids get shot is not really funny, even for SP. Defiantly wasn't years ago when Stan was shot, now this... I'm hoping that PC principal will be taken down next week since he apparently has something to do with the Leslie kid in the beginning. I'm sure by the end of this season the town will be back to its old self. While the continuing story-line of this season is cool, it does anger me slightly that other stories or ideas and such haven't been followed up on from past seasons. Like, just for convenience sake they decided to have each episode co-exists with the next?

Overall, 7/10. Nothing too special.
I love: Stan, Butters, Cartman, Sharon.

I ship: Stan/Cartman <3

Stan: MMOOMM!!
Sharon: What is it honey? (gasp!) My baby's killed again!
Haa, I love that line.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:11 am

Milo Vonnegut wrote:By the way, is Officer Stevens related to Bebe? Possibly her father?
Could be, but he's not her father.

Officer Stevens

Bebe's father
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:44 am

Nope, not at all. Unless Muhammad was shown somewhere in this episode and I missed it - that would be the only reason the Studios would be threatened. South Park has made fun of Al Qaeda without repercussion from it, no reason to think it would be different with ISIS this time.

BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:10 pm

FatAbbottttt wrote:So Barbrady is PC Principals dad. Interesting. 8)
I don't think that's correct.

Anyone else think that picture Barbrady has is is Mom?
RenoD

Postby RenoD » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:24 pm

nice episode, season 19 rocks! :santa:
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:03 pm

BRMBug wrote:
FatAbbottttt wrote:So Barbrady is PC Principals dad. Interesting. 8)
I don't think that's correct.

Anyone else think that picture Barbrady has is is Mom?
That's my guess. If he has a sister, it could be her. I can't imagine another person in town looking like him without being related to him already.

JVM

Postby JVM » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:48 am

I do feel bad for Barbrady. Although in real life, I would probably fire him as well, you don't want police officer who are incapable of the simplest task running around shooting people by accident.
In real life, an illiterate would never get out of the police academy.

None of South Park's police officers are anywhere close to ideal. Everyone, save Barbrady, is shown to be racist at the end of the episode and confounded in other ones by the idea of not being racist, even pretty much the African-American officer by association and lack of development to the contrary, and while Barbrady is a trigger-happy idiot here, I'd argue by the standards of South Park's world, he's not actually too bad... this is still a town that sees fourth graders playing ninjas and assumes they're terrorists ;)
By the way, is Officer Stevens related to Bebe? Possibly her father?
We've seen her parents, so no, but I can imagine he's a relative -- maybe a cousin or uncle. I suggested that in my fanfic when I used the cops. I believe the name 'Stevens' was dropped in S13's "Pee".
While the continuing story-line of this season is cool, it does anger me slightly that other stories or ideas and such haven't been followed up on from past seasons. Like, just for convenience sake they decided to have each episode co-exists with the next?
I've noticed that, too -- I enjoy the nonlinear references, like nodding to Barbrady's former status as the town's only cop, more than the stuff carried over from whatever was last week. I'd love to see more of that and I'm hoping as Trey and Matt get more used to continuity and see how successful it is with fans, we'll see more of it :)
That's my guess. If he has a sister, it could be her. I can't imagine another person in town looking like him without being related to him already.
Yeah, my thinking. SP's never been one for doing that kind of joke where a wife looks like a husband or anything -- even the simple family resemblances are spotty -- look at Tweek's parents (with soft brown hair) and Craig's parents (blonde and red)
South Park is a platform for Matt and Trey's social commentary and satire; there is no canon and these characters only serve as tools for self-expression. Don't get attached.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:15 pm

Milo Vonnegut wrote:1.
As authority and political figures always say when things go awry, "Mistake were made." haha. I do feel bad for Barbrady. Although in real life, I would probably fire him as well, you don't want police officer who are incapable of the simplest task running around shooting people by accident.
I don't know about that. Granted the characters don't have the benefit of seeing what we do as viewers, but it's not even close to Barbrady's fault both times.

The first one, the cops are responding because they think they have school shooting on their hands. When Barbrady finally gets to the gym, PC Principle has a fucking laser pointer in his face. You think maybe someone could've have sent out the 'all clear' on the radio when the call to the school turned out to be bullshit?

The second one, Randy tackles Barbrady and his gun goes off; then has the balls to stand there in the mayor's office in judgement of him.

I'm talking myself into thinking the town is engaged in a conspiracy to get Officer Barbrady. PC Principle calling in the cops on Leslie and then lasing Barbrday; Randy tackling Barbrady; the Mayor firing him for an obvious accident. They are doing it on purpose to pin all of South Park's past misdeeds on him.

You read it! You can't unread it!
nall
Site Admin

Postby nall » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:28 am

JVM wrote: Yeah, my thinking. SP's never been one for doing that kind of joke where a wife looks like a husband or anything -- even the simple family resemblances are spotty -- look at Tweek's parents (with soft brown hair) and Craig's parents (blonde and red)
So a couple notes on hair color:
1) In some families, children have blonde hair but it darkens when they get older. (This happens in my family, in fact.)
2) I'm guessing that Craig's mom colors her hair.
nwt000

Postby nwt000 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:32 am

nall wrote:
JVM wrote: Yeah, my thinking. SP's never been one for doing that kind of joke where a wife looks like a husband or anything -- even the simple family resemblances are spotty -- look at Tweek's parents (with soft brown hair) and Craig's parents (blonde and red)
So a couple notes on hair color:
1) In some families, children have blonde hair but it darkens when they get older. (This happens in my family, in fact.)
2) I'm guessing is that Craig's mom colors her hair.
Yeah, I think Laura Tucker's hair might actually be black due to the way that blowup doll meant to represent her in order to confuse all of the drones was set up. :wink:

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”