*2001: Member Berries* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

BRMBug

Re: *2001: Member Berries* Post-Air Discussion

Postby BRMBug » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:37 pm

I remember.... THE ALAMO!
This was a weird one even by SouthPark standards. I love what they're doing with Tronald Dump/Garrison. :lol: some giggles in there as usual, I noticed no Kenny yet. Missed the end of the ep. My f*cking DVR cut it off. :neutral: IDK. Let's see what the rest of the season has in store.
And am I the only one who wished the Memeberberries screamed when they were eaten? :twisted:
kfgg

Postby kfgg » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:56 pm

By the way I failed to mention 88.1 at the end is KKJZ (formerly KLON) Long Beach, CA. Mainstream Jazz. Has nothing to do with Colorado but they have made references to real stations in the past, in specific 101.1 KOSI Denver, and the former KCUV (1510) Littleton. Then in Season 10 they used "98.7" which at the time was a Hot AC station (KYSR Los Angeles) that someone in the office probably had on at some point.
Stan and Kyle :)
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:20 pm

Kenny's a background character once again. I definitely saw him, but he had no lines.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
JamesPup

Postby JamesPup » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:22 pm

John_117 wrote:8/10 fairly solid, a bit convoluted. I'll admit I didn't get the member berries joke at first, I'll rewatch it later.

While we're still on that topic, people have mentioned that Gerald's wine could possibly be made of member berries. The only other people we see who ate member berries are Randy and Mr. Mackey, all of which who are older male adults. Perhaps Gerald shares "Skankhunt42" with other people?

And even though Cartman isn't behind the account, why would he draw a vagina with balls and pretend that girls are starting a gender war? I feel as if Cartman has a deeper role than we have seen so far, and he seems to be the wild card. Well, we'll wait and see.
Do you have a link where you read about Gerald's wine having member berries in it as that is an interesting theory. The bottle Gerald has says something like Jodie and Harry's pinot noir 1990. That would mean that the member berries have been around since the 90's or the label is false. So who would make berries or wine that have member berries in them? How do you make member berries? I guess the KKK would like them and white nationalist groups that are real traditionalist and conservative. Still who grows grapes? So there could be a joke on the racist Trump supporters and how no one is dumb enough to be that racist to elect Trump and so they aren't but are being brainwashed by member berries.
What seems to be the officer problem?
CharonDynami

Postby CharonDynami » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:52 pm

I was expecting Garrison/Trump to be the turd sandwich and Clinton to be the giant douche. I thought that would fit better.

I'm wondering how Cartman got Gerald to help him. There's no way Cartman isn't responsible in some way for Skankhunter.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:39 am

John_117 wrote:While we're still on that topic, people have mentioned that Gerald's wine could possibly be made of member berries.
Pure speculation. Member berries were called a superfruit by Stephen Stotch at the bar, and no one was eating them there, and so far, there's no link between the berries and the wines shown in the episode.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
kfgg

Postby kfgg » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:46 am

By the way, thanks Nall for the southparkelementary.org

Little Red Riding Kyle was hysterical.
JamesPup

Postby JamesPup » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:59 am

kfgg wrote:By the way, thanks Nall for the southparkelementary.org

Little Red Riding Kyle was hysterical.
Wow is this a secret thingy? Can I know the username and password to the southparkelementary.org website and be told how to navigate it???
JamesPup

Postby JamesPup » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:04 am

Never mind I hacked the site on the third try!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I wish there had been more to the story but whatever.
Ratchet1996

Postby Ratchet1996 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:21 pm

So first of all hi all, as this is my first post here :)

Looks like the south park elementary website got updated with some posts on PTA meetings, one of which is SkankHunt's , however i can't read them because the login box wont go away, and if I enter the SkankHunt42 username I got redirected to Cartman's Story. But i understand the site is probably still being created right now, I think we will be able to access and know more stuff as rhe season progresses. Definitely a nuce easter eggs for the fans : :wink:

About the episode - it was great. Definitely one of the strongest season openers in recent years, especially after last years one which in turn was probably the worst. Anyway, I like the continuity from season 19. It gives Matt and Trey a much better opportunity to create and develop characters and interesting plotlines with mystery elements, and I see we already begin the (probable) main plot in the first year
I liked the Garrison/Jenner plot the most. The whole situation with Garrison trying to lose the election to Clinton is really funny and hopefully will carry on to the next episode. The Cartman plotline was pretty good too, nice to see him bickering with Kyle like in the older seasons, although a bit strange is we basically already know who will win after the cliffhanger at the end of the episode. I am also curious why Cartman is suddenly acting all PC. However the American Anthem although cleverly resoluted was pretty dull till the final scenes, I did not Get the whole Kapernick jokes at first (I am not American) and hat to do some research :wink: Probabky the weakest part of the episode, BUT it contains a scene about which I have a theory and want to talk about at the end of my post.
It was nice to see characters like PC Principal and Caitlyn Jenner returning ( no buckle up buckaroo this time :( ) but disappointed to see Stan and Kenny again basically as background characters again. And of course we STILL don't know if Stan and Kyle are friends again. Strange as I was sure the first episode will resolve that, after all their last fight was pretty huge. They seemed to tolerate each other in the few scenes we saw them together, but at the other hand they did not even speak to each other, so nobody knows for sure ( Except for Matt and Trey that is :D ). Kudos also for bringing Giant Douche and Turd Sandwitch back :)

My overall rating for this episode is 89/100 points

NOW FOR MY THEORY : It actually bases a bit around a theory found on Reddit that Geralds wine is made of Member Berries and makes him act all mean ( which is possible, as the effect seemed to starting to take over Randy for a second too,before he spit the berry). So according to the episode the Member Berries have something to do with J.J Abrams, probably were even created by him somehow ( "We need your Member Beries, mr. Abrams). Notice that we did not get to see mr. Abrams himself, just a shadow of him. He did not even talk, just send a light signal. So what if J.J Abrams is not really J.J Abrams? Maybe he is some sort of robot or cyborg created by the Ads, perhapa he is an Ad himself, to once again try to take over humanity? The Ads were mentioned by Garrison as being still active, and if the season continues S19 plotline, why should not they be back with a vengeance? Maybe in a way yet unknown they got control over Mr. Abrams and then using him somehow created the berries to brainwash people into mindlessly following deadly trend, just like with PC in season 19? Notice how blindly everyone accepted and loved Abram's version of the Anthem, although he basically changed nothing. Maybe the Ads created some sort of mind control Mechanism around J.J Abrams , the member Berries being a important part in it, to blindly love and follow what he does? Reportedly he did not change the SW movie too, yet the people in South Park think he saved the franchise...

Well, there ya got my theory ;) I know it is stupid, silly and most probably won't happen, I just thought I'd share them with you guys and see what do you think. And I admit, I really want the Ads to return somehow.
KeeperIXX

Postby KeeperIXX » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:27 pm

Well, this was pretty good, 'Member Berries' is certainly starting off the season stronger than 'Stunning and Brave' did.

It has the same quality writing and humor I came to love from previous episodes and even starts off a few interesting plotlines that catch my attention.

Best of all, PC Principal is barely in this episode, but then, I think I reached a point where any episode where he has less than a minute of screentime (or none at all) and neither commits nor threatens to commit acts of abuse of power is good by default.

Yes, I'm still hoping he gets written off the set somehow, I don't care if he dies or just leaves as long as the kids of South Park will no longer have to put up with his self-righteous hypocrisy. Heck, if what screentime he did get in this episode is anything to go by, he's actually incompetent in dealing with actual problems.
JamesPup

Postby JamesPup » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:18 am

Ratchet1996 wrote:So first of all hi all, as this is my first post here :)

Looks like the south park elementary website got updated with some posts on PTA meetings, one of which is SkankHunt's , however i can't read them because the login box wont go away, and if I enter the SkankHunt42 username I got redirected to Cartman's Story. But i understand the site is probably still being created right now, I think we will be able to access and know more stuff as rhe season progresses. Definitely a nuce easter eggs for the fans : :wink:

About the episode - it was great. Definitely one of the strongest season openers in recent years, especially after last years one which in turn was probably the worst. Anyway, I like the continuity from season 19. It gives Matt and Trey a much better opportunity to create and develop characters and interesting plotlines with mystery elements, and I see we already begin the (probable) main plot in the first year
I liked the Garrison/Jenner plot the most. The whole situation with Garrison trying to lose the election to Clinton is really funny and hopefully will carry on to the next episode. The Cartman plotline was pretty good too, nice to see him bickering with Kyle like in the older seasons, although a bit strange is we basically already know who will win after the cliffhanger at the end of the episode. I am also curious why Cartman is suddenly acting all PC. However the American Anthem although cleverly resoluted was pretty dull till the final scenes, I did not Get the whole Kapernick jokes at first (I am not American) and hat to do some research :wink: Probabky the weakest part of the episode, BUT it contains a scene about which I have a theory and want to talk about at the end of my post.
It was nice to see characters like PC Principal and Caitlyn Jenner returning ( no buckle up buckaroo this time :( ) but disappointed to see Stan and Kenny again basically as background characters again. And of course we STILL don't know if Stan and Kyle are friends again. Strange as I was sure the first episode will resolve that, after all their last fight was pretty huge. They seemed to tolerate each other in the few scenes we saw them together, but at the other hand they did not even speak to each other, so nobody knows for sure ( Except for Matt and Trey that is :D ). Kudos also for bringing Giant Douche and Turd Sandwitch back :)

My overall rating for this episode is 89/100 points

NOW FOR MY THEORY : It actually bases a bit around a theory found on Reddit that Geralds wine is made of Member Berries and makes him act all mean ( which is possible, as the effect seemed to starting to take over Randy for a second too,before he spit the berry). So according to the episode the Member Berries have something to do with J.J Abrams, probably were even created by him somehow ( "We need your Member Beries, mr. Abrams). Notice that we did not get to see mr. Abrams himself, just a shadow of him. He did not even talk, just send a light signal. So what if J.J Abrams is not really J.J Abrams? Maybe he is some sort of robot or cyborg created by the Ads, perhapa he is an Ad himself, to once again try to take over humanity? The Ads were mentioned by Garrison as being still active, and if the season continues S19 plotline, why should not they be back with a vengeance? Maybe in a way yet unknown they got control over Mr. Abrams and then using him somehow created the berries to brainwash people into mindlessly following deadly trend, just like with PC in season 19? Notice how blindly everyone accepted and loved Abram's version of the Anthem, although he basically changed nothing. Maybe the Ads created some sort of mind control Mechanism around J.J Abrams , the member Berries being a important part in it, to blindly love and follow what he does? Reportedly he did not change the SW movie too, yet the people in South Park think he saved the franchise...

Well, there ya got my theory ;) I know it is stupid, silly and most probably won't happen, I just thought I'd share them with you guys and see what do you think. And I admit, I really want the Ads to return somehow.
I agree with you that there is a good chance that Gerald’s wine had member berries in it and that JJ Abrams could be making the member berries or something. But my theory is JJ Abrams is supposed to be like Willie Wonka who has many berries and gums and candy that makes this work. The berries could be like snozberries or the everlasting gobstopper. In the original Chocolate factory movie, the lights are out of the factory for years and I think without rewatching the movie that that is what the scene with the one light yes and two lights no really is about. There is a scene like that where the lights turn back on or there is communication like that I think.

Also Gene Wilder just died who played Willie Wonka and Trump has been compared to an Oompa Lumpa before and Garrison has an orange face. This all seems to fit somehow but Parker and Stone may just go another way or I am wrong. It will be fun if and when JJ Abrams property is checked out which I expect to happen. We will see grape vineyards and orange faced peoples like Trump possibly as slaves to grow member berries and other strange or untested treats that can cause amazing or worse things than the member berries ever did.

Now why would JJ Abrams want nostalgic and conservative brainwashing berries as a product or to trick people with? Can it be he is a rehasher and so needs to trick people to watch his rehashed rebooted sh*t movies or he can’t make money as he has no talent? It can be JJ Abrams didn’t want the berries to go too far as they are and that they were meant to only cause nostalgia but also made people old school bigots but he needed the money so pushed forward. Or he is in control of Garrison and others on purpose or now chooses to be and is the true leader from behind like Obama truly is but as a puppet master of prejudice republicans!

But a problem is if JJ Abrams is behind the berries then why would he write a national anthem that is accepting and allowing of all to love and get to do what they want? Still it pissed off the girls and I guess Kaepernick. I see there by the girl’s reactions there needs to be more JJ Abrams. It would be sweet as candy to see the kids and Randy enter JJ Abrams mansion like it is the chocolate factory. That to me will be an epic episode.

The Member Berries episode at the end left Garrison/Jenner, Wendy, Bebe, and Nichole, Kyle, Randy, and possible Cartman upset. These Characters may meet up at JJ Abrams place or something.
Gendo

Postby Gendo » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:11 pm

I'm surprised no ones noticed that Cartman faking the attack on himself was a rather hilarious Morton Downey Jr. reference...maybe the bar really has sunk too low these days.
joshferrell

Postby joshferrell » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:49 am

I think it would be funny if we found out that Gerald and Cartman were playing "Impracticable Jokers" where Gerald is telling Cartman what to say through a hidden ear wire, when we see Gerald on the computer he is plotting more of the prank...
kfgg

Postby kfgg » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:07 am

I just wish this didn't have to be a continuation thing. Maybe it won't. Maybe the next episode won't involve any of this. But based on how popular last season seemed to be, I wouldn't doubt it.

I also know they have Bill Hader there a lot. I believe he is a major influence on the continuation stuff. Season 12 was an example. He was one of the writers (Consultant Writer) for episodes like Elementary School Musical (Jimmy: "Where have you guys been?" Craig: "Peru") as well as both of the Pandemic Episodes that season which that line in Elementary School Musical was a reference to. He was a producer for basically all of Season 19 and Season 18. Both had the continuation effect. Season 17 as well. And there was You're Getting Old and Assburgers. He also did voice work for those two.

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”