*2005: Douche and a Danish* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

Stan'sMutantClone

Re: *2005: Douche and a Danish* Post-Air Discussion

Postby Stan'sMutantClone » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:24 am

What happened to Wikileaks, though? he's been on South Park before, and he actually plays a major role in the current election. South Park should be making fun of how people care so much about some thing trump said 11 years ago, while ignoring massive amounts of leaks of information damaging to Hillary's campaign.

I've been a long time fan of south park, since the beginning. I've always loved how they show the truth of what's going on in a humorous way, but they seem to have lost the plot here. Many people are supporting trump because they dont want Hillary to win, and start a nuclear war with Russia.

Oh well, there's still time in this season for wikileaks to show up. I know he died before, but that wouldnt stop them if it was meaningful to the events currently transpiring. Garrison's comment that the election is rigged? What about the recent videos leaked showing them bragging about doing that very thing? Come on South Park, you've been more observant than this.
joshferrell

Postby joshferrell » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:11 pm

It looks like this episode has made it to the "Media"...No sure I agree with what they are saying though, it look like they are looking too hard to find something there...

http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/south-park ... cy--244499

http://decider.com/2016/10/20/south-par ... p_0=256538
Staton

Postby Staton » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:32 pm

This episode was so much on spot with what is going on.
No TV Show does it like Southpark.
Trey Parker is pretty much the only guy seeing and(!) also speaking the truth.
Thanks for that.
JVM

Postby JVM » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:09 am

I've been busy with school and even though I saw the episode Wednesday night, had to rewatch it twice to really get a sense of it. It's a fine episode, but it does feel like a bit of a 'stalemate' - little changes dramatically and for the more astute viewers, we learn nothing new. Garrison, Gerald, Cartman, and the kids are mostly doing the same things. Each of the previous episodes felt like a step forward, but this felt like standing in place.

That doesn't make it a bad episode, and we had some great scenes. The opening of the boys and girls finally about to throw down and being saved only by their distaste of Heidi and Cartman's new relationship is pretty effective. Cartman and Heidi seem genuinely happy and I don't think either is playing an angle and totally want them to stick. Garrison running into the classroom breaks my f*cking heart like I can't describe. It's a huge character moment for him, and very meta - while Garrison's always wanted to be a teacher, it feels like the first time we've really seen his personal connection to this specific class of students. In "The Death Camp of Tolerance", it's almost more of a convenient coincidence he's back as their teacher.

Jimbo has a great cameo when Garrison's chased by City Wok btw - "We put our faith in you assh*le!" is clearly Matt and you can see his mouth moving in the crowd. He's even holding a rifle :)

The ending remains to be interpreted - it doesn't take a lot of genius to figure out that M&T have been riffing on Star Wars: The Force Awakens, although bringing in J. J. Abrams specifically might be a new step - but we have to see how far they take it. It's a bit ironic to me, since my recent fic based on S19, "The Ads Awaken" picked the same target. I tied Star Wars by parodying the relationship between media companies, big franchises and the advertisements. I wonder if Matt and Trey will take a similar route. Might have to ask for royalty payments at that stage :P (I'm kidding, I'm kidding!)

Now, what I'm not crazy about? We get a nice tease that Gerald will team up with the other trolls, but besides Dick/Dildo Schwaggins, most of them are of no consequence. In a few scenes, he and Dick are back at his home, and while there's an interesting tease that there's more to Gerald than lolz, we've no answer to that question yet. Sheila's kind of cast back aside to focus on this plotline as well. Gerald seems to take a step closer to irredeemable when he discusses his trolling methods and Anonymous casts him as "kind of mean". It's hard to say where this plot is going. The end of the last episode seemed to cast that Gerald was going to be the lesser evil, but now he seems like the greater one.

Then there's the Danish, lead by Lennart Betrager, and while this seemed really exciting a few weeks ago, the sudden fact TrollTrace.com needs fundraising, which wasn't mentioned in the previous episodes, feels like an attempt to grind for time. The Danish are portrayed hilariously, and the kids look super cute in those Danish outfits, but plot-wise, it just feels like it's being stalled for time, presumably so Gerald and Dick can defeat it before it goes live... but when will that conflict come to a head? If it's not until S20E10, then maybe we should've paced the reveal better.

Obviously, I don't know where we're going, and this episode could seem stronger in retrospect of where our story arcs lead - I have/had some issues with "Safe Space", but in the long run, seeing it as the point gentrification and PC culture turned back on Randy over the longer course of the season made it feel like a stronger episode than it did when it aired. The door's not closed and this episode could seem way better when all is said and done at the season's conclusion - I'm hopeful and open-minded about it! I'm just nervous, because you're never sure with threads Matt and Trey are still following and which are going to disappear into the abyss.

Looking at it in the broader picture of the season...

"Skank Hunt" and "The Damned" really succeeded as episodes because they only focused on a few key plot threads, instead of trying to continue everything, and kept back to the 'serialized lite' idea Matt's discussed in the run-up to the season. In the latter, Garrison's plot is defused by featuring it on television and focusing on character reactions, instead of seeing Garrison running around. "Weiners Out" tries to continue this but does sputter a little with the extra emphasis on Gerald and Dick alongside Kyle's well-plotted story. Still, a decent episode. This one, like "Member Berries" at the beginning, feels like it's trying to do everything and as a result of trying to be so well-rounded, I feel it has trouble being effective in any one area.

I'm being extremely critical, and some of that's probably driven by some real life stress right now, but at the end of the day I did enjoy the episode, and I'm super excited for more South Park, as I always am. I can't wait to find out where this season is really planning to take us!

#HeimanFTW
South Park is a platform for Matt and Trey's social commentary and satire; there is no canon and these characters only serve as tools for self-expression. Don't get attached.
COUNTERbyte

Postby COUNTERbyte » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:03 pm

I just finished the episode on demand. And i love seeing characters trying to redeem themselves like Cartman. I'm also loving the current style of the past few seasons with all of the ABCD-Z storylines continuing in episodic fashion with the climax of all of them colliding at the end of the a 13 episode set as apposed ABC coming togethers at the end of 30-minutes. it really brings a feeling of WOW WTF are they going to do next week...bastards making me wait a whole week...awesome.

That being said i'd like to see Mr. Garrison go through the ringer as Im guessing he's going to do, but after the works he looks back, maybe after eating a member berry (probably just beating an addiction too in a truly south park style :) He says verbatim ya know i remember why i wanted to be president to use my already active fearless expression of freedom of speech the greatest thing we hold in law to show to the people of the nation, the world and all the trolls scared to use their voice or get the arrows slinged at them like a tough guy like me could do etc...and he goes on with that feeling for a while and other things get wrapped up, all of which sets up the punch line, the biggest fourth wall break of the entire satirical season.

Feel free to use, thanks for having me buddy!

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”