*2010: The End of Serialization As We Know It* Post-Air Thread

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

kfgg

Re: *2010: The End of Serialization As We Know It* Post-Air Thread

Postby kfgg » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:49 pm

Well, now they are as far as I can tell....I never understood that one. Sure they hung out every now and then but. Huh.

It's not hard for Stan & Kyle and they must have known that with the "People are going to think, you're, you know funny" line in Season 3. and it didn't stop there. But there's always been that status quo with Wendy.
Stan and Kyle :)
nall
Site Admin

Postby nall » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:43 am

mario88 wrote:how on earth can people think tweek and craig are actually gay is beyond me.
Unlike Tweek (there's definitely been some evidence to suggest he may be gay, and last season's episode turned that up to 11), Craig can be a tough read; he has shown some interest in girls and claimed to have a girlfriend he broke up with in SOT (although we never saw it), yet there's some stuff that goes the way for him too. Last season, we did discover that he has a very homophobic father, which definitely seems to weigh on Craig quite a lot; Craig does not go for the relationship until he gets his father's acceptance.

Of course, do keep in mind that straight/gay is not a binary thing, and assuming Craig wasn't just deep in the closet, it's entirely plausible that he is actually bisexual.

But as far as the town goes, we had the mayor proudly proclaim that Craig is a homosexual a few episodes prior, and Craig and Tweek are often seen together, so it's not hard for townspeople to make the cognitive jump when two presumably gay people seem to like hang out a lot together.
mario88 wrote:i mean, i shouldn't be surprised since there are people out there who think cartman and kyle are secretly in love with each other, but geez...
I can't recall any evidence that Kyle is in love with Cartman (someone please correct me if I'm wrong), and Kyle is loosely based on Matt anyway, but Cartman definitely has some sort of WEIRD obsession with Kyle. There are a number of episodes with this theme - the Imaginationland trilogy comes to mind. So it's not hard to see why people might think that.

That said, I don't personally believe that Cartman is necessarily gay per se - but he's clearly screwed up sexually, and given who his mother is, can anyone really be surprised?
kfgg

Postby kfgg » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:38 am

Up until last year, I never thought twice about either of them.

They went from "You're a lucky guy" and "Nice score dude" (The Hobbit) to...

I always felt bad for Tweek. I know what being a "spaz" and shaking and twitching all the time is like. That's how I am in real life.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:28 am

The big thing I 'member about Kyle and Cartman is that they might have been brothers. Supporting evidence:

1. Sheila is big and fat, like Cartman is. When Liane was a hermaphrodite, people would make a big case for this, even though members of his extended family are also big and fat.

2. Cartman's antipathy towards Jews. That kind of thing you either learn from other anti-Semites in your family, or from being rejected by the Jews.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
nall
Site Admin

Postby nall » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:53 am

Big-Will wrote:The big thing I 'member about Kyle and Cartman is that they might have been brothers. Supporting evidence:
I actually thought that might be the case as well. The identity of Cartman's father was hidden even from the staff.
kfgg

Postby kfgg » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:15 am

Cartman going after his arch rival to get what he wants, proving his point, etc regardless of how is all I've ever seen there.
kfgg

Postby kfgg » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:19 am

By the way, noticed Matt's voice still sounded rough on 2010. Must be a rough cold or sore throat he got.
mario88

Postby mario88 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:36 am

these are the two things i will remember as the most interesting about season 20: the member berries, of course; gerald's childish wickedness, which makes him a ten times more interesting character.

but also, in random order: kyle has learnt to be a dick when it is needed; the internet is presented as the place where we explore our fantasies (which sometimes we put into practice, sometimes not) and when they get discovered we get in trouble, which lead us back to a recurring theme in season 19: a lot of our frustrations in the relationships with other people are the result of never communicating with each other; there is some other kind of wickedness in the people, at least in the u.s., which is somewhat irrational (given how the recent data about u.s. economy and immigration reveal how things are going fairly well after all) and may have its roots in a world that is changing and is becoming so different than it was that we can't recognize it anymore and that makes us afraid; girls aren't funny, get over it (in my opinion, it's just that men and women have a different sense of humor, but i enjoy comedians like anjelah jonson); in spite of the evidence, cartman still thinks vaginas have balls, as revealed by his dream, which may mean he has some unresolved psychological issue. and by the way, of all the kids in south park, cartman is the only one that i strike as a possible gay guy when he grows up.

i think that this season, while (at least imho) should have been less chaotic (too much stuff going nowhere at the end), has laid the basis for a lot of extremely interesting stuff in the future.

finally, a thing that let me down is how frustratingly stereotypically denmark was depicted. and with some major mistakes, too, as it usually doesn't snow in denmark in october.
He is the record!
VACOOLA

Postby VACOOLA » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:30 pm

nall wrote:
VACOOLA wrote:into pretending to be gay.
That is questionable.
Agreed. They are nothing but what Trey wants them to be at the moment. Trey is the only person on the planet who knows for sure whether or not they are really gay. And you are the only person on here who can ask him about it directly, aren't you? Could you probably do us this favor? :wink:

In the meantime I prefer to think they are faking it. Craig is a lousy conformist poser. Member what he did trying to outgay Cartman back in the day? Member what he called himself? A catamite. He called himself a catamite, Carl! Is there a possibility that he might actually be one? Craig definitely went the extra mile to look and sound super-duper metrosexual. Tweek not so much, but he did play along. Back then they were putting on an act for free, just because it was popular. Now add the Asian girls, the pressure from the whole town, plus a few hundred or even thousand bucks to the equation. And besides, gay characters only make an appearance on the show once in a blue moon. How often do we get to see Satan or Mr. Slave these days? Each time it's a great comeback, like with Mr. Slave this year, but a fact is a fact. If Craig and Tweek become an established gay couple, chances are they will disappear for a long period of time, if not for good. Damn, they almost have already. But if we assume they've been pulling everyone's leg for a few dollars more, that's a completely different situation with a lot of potential for aggressive expansion. How far would they go to prove they are not faking it, should someone openly doubt the credibility of their relationship? What tricks would they try to pull off?

And speaking of tricks, on a more episode-related note, I wonder if the scene where Kyle flies out of his room window holding Ike in his hands is supposed to be parodying the scene in The Dark Knight where Batman kidnaps that Chinese mafia guy from Hong Kong. If that's the case, how did Kyle do it? Did he have a flying aircraft waiting for him on the outside or what?

As for Kyle being in love with Fatass, I don't know about love, but him putting Cartman to bed in "Jewpacabra" felt kind of weird and OOC. It's probably their ginger genes that make them care for each other against their own will.
kfgg

Postby kfgg » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:30 pm

90s-Early 2000s Trey would probably say "A little"

'98 Trey said Stan would probably grow up gay. Host a TV talk show (They played with that TV idea in The Biggest Douche In The Universe) and Stan and Kyle are the easiest to wonder about. Many many scenes over the years. Some subtle.

As for Trey, When asked about himself (Fireside Chat, Charlie Rose) "A little" was his response. Both Matt & Trey are married to women and have children now.

So I'm guessing Craig (Can I do your laundry) Tucker is probably "a little gay" Like Jimbo said "We're all a LITTLE Gay" in Season 3.

The Jewpacabra episode scene was a Peanuts parody. I think Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown.
nall
Site Admin

Postby nall » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:17 pm

VACOOLA wrote:In the meantime I prefer to think they are faking it. Craig is a lousy conformist poser. Member what he did trying to outgay Cartman back in the day? Member what he called himself? A catamite. He called himself a catamite, Carl! Is there a possibility that he might actually be one? Craig definitely went the extra mile to look and sound super-duper metrosexual. Tweek not so much, but he did play along. Back then they were putting on an act for free, just because it was popular. Now add the Asian girls, the pressure from the whole town, plus a few hundred or even thousand bucks to the equation.
That episode was more about the rivalry between Craig's gang and the main kids. If last season, they'd also been drawing yaoi or something similar of Kyle and Cartman, then this argument might make sense. Plus, Craig did not going willingly for a long time into this whole thing.
VACOOLA wrote:And besides, gay characters only make an appearance on the show once in a blue moon. How often do we get to see Satan or Mr. Slave these days? Each time it's a great comeback, like with Mr. Slave this year, but a fact is a fact. If Craig and Tweek become an established gay couple, chances are they will disappear for a long period of time, if not for good. Damn, they almost have already.
This argument doesn't really make sense either. Regarding gay characters disappearing, there is a correlation there, not a causation. A lot of characters disappear for long times, regardless of their sexual orientation.
kfgg wrote:So I'm guessing Craig (Can I do your laundry) Tucker is probably "a little gay" Like Jimbo said "We're all a LITTLE Gay" in Season 3.
His behavior with Thomas in that episode was definitely "a little gay." This seems to go beyond that, but of course, maybe some people are more than a little gay ;)
kfgg wrote:The Jewpacabra episode scene was a Peanuts parody. I think Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown.
There are tons of Peanuts references in South Park!

We just had one in the last few episodes, even. The scene was noted in the Live Tweet.
kfgg

Postby kfgg » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:33 pm

Craig always seemed kinda gay. Stan...very gay at times. I'm not even going to list everything, because there's so much of it.

Tweek though, never would have figured.

At least they got some money. Craig's dad "Here's a hundred dollars" Jeeze I wish I had that kind of money.
Randy Marsh 2016

Postby Randy Marsh 2016 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:03 am

kfgg wrote:Craig always seemed kinda gay. Stan...very gay at times. I'm not even going to list everything, because there's so much of it

Stan never seemed gay...
kfgg

Postby kfgg » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:38 am

Randy Marsh 2016 wrote:
kfgg wrote:Craig always seemed kinda gay. Stan...very gay at times. I'm not even going to list everything, because there's so much of it

Stan never seemed gay...
I could go on at length about this but that's another topic so I won't.

By the way, I kept forgetting to post about how Sheila is from Jersey (Newark) which is why she always flips out the way she does.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:43 am

Might as well start a thread about it in Character Discussion if there really is that much to Stan's sexual orientation.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”