S22E10: "Bike Parade" postshow discussion.

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

Big-Will
Board Moderator

S22E10: "Bike Parade" postshow discussion.

Postby Big-Will » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:52 am

How was the finale? ☺
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
kfgg

Re: S22E10: "Bike Parade" postshow discussion.

Postby kfgg » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:48 am

It was alright. More lively than last week. Like many, leaves me wondering what will happen in 10 months.
Stanluv25

Postby Stanluv25 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:39 am

Had its moments. Last weeks was kinda meh, except for the music which is always a treat in any episode. I didn't understand the economic side of things or anything that the guy in the box was talking about. So it was funny when the kids tore open the box and he exploded out. But of course I can't help but wonder what M&T were trying to say in this episode and what about the bike parade correlates with how they feel about the show right now. Seems as if indeed, they are trying to get themselves canceled but are surprised that they cannot? They themselves have too much 'tegridy' or is the fans? Are they just doing this for the fans at this point? It makes me sad to think they really don't care... but still, SP is something I always look forward to. I've only started watching new episodes when season 14 began, I'm not ready to let it go yet. Maybe I just love Stan too much and always feel 'unfulfilled'. I want to watch more new Stan episodes every week. I just have strong attachments to a select few characters in fandoms and he sits on top atm. I'm highly curious what next year will bring for SP. Looks as if Tegridy Farms is now making money so the Marshes will be seen there next year as well. Again, it leaves me 'fulfilled', I want them to move back to SP!

Funniest moments of the night- Randy's speech that didn't make much sense and facing the opposite direction to Jeff Bezos, and Cartman pulling Kenny's casket in the bike parade. :lol:

I just feel...odd after this episode. The first half of this season was solid, then turned kinda whatever. I just do not want to wait another year for more. Wish the seasons were still 14 episodes. Hmm.
I love: Stan, Butters, Cartman, Sharon.

I ship: Stan/Cartman <3

Stan: MMOOMM!!
Sharon: What is it honey? (gasp!) My baby's killed again!
Haa, I love that line.
mario88

Postby mario88 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:50 pm

it was a good episode. the best of the season is still "nobody got cereal?" but this comes second. there's so many things to say about this finale, so much stuff packed into 20 + 20 minutes (it was a two parter) that i will need an hour later to properly put it into words.

the message was strong (although i feel it could have been even stronger maybe): "bezos, shove it up your ass, your nemesis (weed) is coming to town and it has already arrived in south park".

oh, even if we didn't get to know who won the bike parade, kenny was still in it and in the casket at that, which is imho more impressive than butters' bike, so maybe our four heroes won in the end. :mrgreen:
He is the record!
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:46 am

The biggest thing that jumped out to me was the similarity to their Walmart episode. In that one, everyone agrees to shop at Jim's Drugs instead of Walmart and we get the montage of Jim's growing into a giant Walmart-like store. This week, Randy basically copies Amazon's business model to expand Tegridy Weed. So while they're taking Amazon to task for its size and concentration of power, they're also showing that the next Amazon is always waiting in the wings.

I enjoyed Butters literally peacocking for the girls with his new bike. Showing off something shiny and gaudy in an attempt to impress the ladies is always a metaphor for the way many male birds display elaborate feathers and dances for females, so to have Butters deploy a fan of actual peacock feathers is a wonderful joke.

I guess Towelie has decided to rejoin the private sector and gave up his kushy job as a government agricultural inspector to work for Randy.

Nice to see Ned's going to be okay.
A good chuckle with President Garrison in handcuffs.
Been a long time since we've had a Kenny death and even longer since we had one off camera. The only one that comes to mind is Here Comes the Neighborhood where they inexplicably have Kenny's dead body on a sled in a scene at the end.

The last thing to talk about is the meta-commentary among Stan, Kyle and Fatass on the bridge. The message seems to be, "Well no one's trying to make us stop, so I guess we'll just keep making South Park?" It sounds to me like the guys are questioning their end game for the series. Trey is straight-up saying as Stan, "How much longer should I keep doing this show?" It also sounds like they genuinely feel differently about stuff they've done on the show in the past. It tells me they're a least starting to wrap their minds around the eventual end of South Park and maybe drop a hint that they might not sign on for more seasons when their current order expires.
From there, they pivot to an observation about people getting riled up about other people's hypothetical anger and attempting to be offended on their behalf. Which is a lot of what happens when something rises to the surface as not politically correct. And we get our line of season-long callbacks during the bike parade.

I haven't been this concerned about the future of the show since You're Getting Old. Maybe that's just another bout of fatigue at the end of a laborious run of shows like it was at the break in season 15. Or maybe it's more serious this time. If Bike Race does portend the beginning of the end, I am comfortable with that. Yes I would miss a show that's been a huge influence on my sense of humor and my armchair TV/movie criticism. But the work speaks for itself and the guys have nothing left to prove where I sit.

You read it! You can't unread it!
kfgg

Postby kfgg » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:05 am

Press is all over this one because they let the word "pussycat" fly. They almost did twice before.

I liked this episode. The ending kind of made me feel both good and bad about the future, because there doesn't seem to be much of a bright future anytime soon.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:35 am

triplemultiplex wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:46 am
Been a long time since we've had a Kenny death and even longer since we had one off camera. The only one that comes to mind is Here Comes the Neighborhood where they inexplicably have Kenny's dead body on a sled in a scene at the end.
You missed the one in last season's "Put It Down," when Kenny's picture appears in a collage of people who died because other people didn't put down their smartphones.

kfgg

Postby kfgg » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:57 am

Thinking about the ending of this one. It didn’t really give any sort of conclusion to the Amazon problem, but the scene showing pretty much everybody kind of did what the right strain of weed can do. Basically forget about it and be happy to see everybody for a few minutes. Not sure if that was the intent or not.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:46 am

If what Randy said was true, despite his stoned state, then no one will go back to work at the fulfillment center, which means it will have to close and open up elsewhere, and all the closed shops will get their workers back and business will come back to town. They did this a few times already, with Harbucks, Walmart, and Whole Foods before Amazon.

mo303564

Postby mo303564 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:11 pm

Where to start?? :shock:

So nobody won the "Bike Parade" because the town rallied against Bezos and stood up for small businesses like 'Tegridy'. (Even though Tegridy could become the new "Amazon" of weed) :P Josh was killed off by raviged kids opening up a gift on Christmas Day! :lol:

Ned isn't dead...just comatose again. Kenny is dead...apparently was either killed off by Alexa...or by an off screen school shooting. Not seen was Mr. Hankey but based upon how pissed off Santa was about "Tweeting innapropriate things"...I think he will eventually be invited back. Satan as far as we know though is officially written off RIP :cry:

Garrisson/Trump was in handcuffs (Prelude to events coming in real life?) Tweek and Craig are back together...Clyde was on a unicycle :roll: and everything that's considered offensive isn't taken seriously or is laughed at now, so I kinda like it.

This episode dealt more around tegrity weed (Randy, and Stotch's issues with Amazon) and how important Small business is to this country. It also dealt with the selfish "Elites" finally getting what they deserve. Amazon is becoming the death of malls...and mom/pop shops. It's kinda sad really. I'm just glad South Park woke up and will only use Amazon from now on sparingly and will go visit local shops more often :)

Best quote was Bezos asking "Are you all High!" "No. why" "Because I'm over here you idiots!" :lol: :mrgreen: haha.
So yeah decent episode that tied up most loose ends. Can't complain too much.
RTL: I love being a dick to people for no reason. It makes me feel better about how my mom smacks me around with a frozen T Bone steak.
mario88

Postby mario88 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:51 am

i love when someone makes predictions. everyone can make for a good Hindsight hero, but it takes guts to make a serious prediction, cause it may not come true thus making you look stupid; beside, you'll often have to face people who will attack you.

i'm referring to garrison/trump's arrest of course.

not many people/shows were able to predict his election: among them, the simpsons, even though they were joking. and now my other favourite show predicts his arrest.

the bike parade being offensive would have made for a better joke if they had explained WHY it is offensive, because it would have showed that literally ANYTHING can be considered offensive, if someone puts enough effort in it. it wasn't hard by the way, cartman could have said that it is offensive because handicapped kids can't take part in it, for instance.

i love buying stuff on amazon like many people so it would be hypocrite of me to just hate on them.

in a way, it is also the little stores' fault. i buy electronics in a little store because the owner is so competent that he makes up for the higher prices by making me spare money with good advises on the stuff to buy or not buy. but several times i have dealt with people who know less about what they sell than i do...

that being said, this time it wasn't just about the prices, it was more about the workers' rights. let's see what the future holds. so far, they haven't crossed the line here in europe but are damn close to it. i honestly don't know if in the u.s. it is different.

but the core of this episode, and probably of the whole season, is that we often act out of anxiety. and when we can finally relax with some weed, we'll stop buying stuff we don't need. this is a very interesting piece of sociology.

i also love that south park almost straight out suggests to rather smoke weed than waste money on amazon stuff. :lol:

now, on to what i didn't enjoy about this episode and this season (to the both of them i'd give a 7/10).

unless i missed it, i don't recall the show trying to explain WHAT makes us anxious. it gives some hints tough throughout the season: 1. the present looks scary, things have changed and may never be the same anymore (i'm thinking of the four guys doing the bike parade thing mostly because they don't do that kind of stuff together anymore); 2. fear of being "human"? Strong Woman and PC Principal are all in all good people but deny themselves happiness because Strong Woman is afraid of looking weak; 3. fear of not being able to make happy the people we love: amazon's workers want to make their children happy and are concerned about it; 4. it puts a lot of pressure onto us that the happiness of the people we love, and maybe ours too, is so closely linked to stuff: it makes people hate themselves, those who can afford to buy what they want and those who "decided" that "stuff" is what counts the most (in this case, amazon).

all in all, compared to 4/5 years ago, i feel the show is slowly declining. it is still a good show, but maybe it's past its prime. not because it's not that funny anymore (it just isn't its mainly focus now), but because sometimes the episodes look rushed, as if trey felt he just has to fill 20 minutes to fulfill the contract.

that being said, "nobody got cereal?" is a damn good episode (i'd rate it 8.5/10) and in my eyes it's already a south park classic. as long as trey can make at least one good episode per season, the show still makes sense to me.
He is the record!
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:22 am

mario88 wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:51 am
the bike parade being offensive would have made for a better joke if they had explained WHY it is offensive, because it would have showed that literally ANYTHING can be considered offensive, if someone puts enough effort in it. it wasn't hard by the way, cartman could have said that it is offensive because handicapped kids can't take part in it, for instance.
The bike parade is a stand-in for the show itself.

1. The show is not as offensive it was a few years ago, but people think it is, so they keep dismissing it. It's now about as wholesome as a bike parade.
2. The season began with the hashtag cancelsouthpark. #cancelsouthpark is an example of cancel culture, in which anything - and anyone - can be "cancelled." The Urban Dictionary defines it as "To dismiss something/somebody. To reject an individual or an idea." I'll add "ignore" to this list of definitions. The show thus wears this as a badge of honor, since it's always considered itself offensive, so it dared its viewers to ignore it, reject it, dismiss it; it's not going anywhere. This puts #cancelthesimpsons in a new light as well - Matt and Trey aren't saying The Simpsons should be cancelled, they're saying that that show isn't going anywhere just because one of its characters, Apu, no longer talks on the show.

mario88

Postby mario88 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:30 pm

i didn't know of this particular meaning of the word "cancel", in the u.s. anyway.

one thing i know for sure, those who can't take jokes live such a miserable life
He is the record!
JVM

Postby JVM » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:59 am

I never commented on this one. After the three episodes before it I was feeling underwhelmed overall, but I actually really liked this one. The 'Bike Parade' at the end was such a cute little scene that encapsulates a lot of what South Park could be and should be - "a little town that loves each other" as Matt calls it in the commentary. It's far from perfect but it's about as good as we could expect.

Thank you to whichever animator threw in Mephesto, as I'd just been thinking a week before air that I was probably never going to see him again.
South Park is a platform for Matt and Trey's social commentary and satire; there is no canon and these characters only serve as tools for self-expression. Don't get attached.

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”