S23E01: "Mexican Joker" postshow discussion.

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

kfgg

Re: S23E01: "Mexican Joker" preshow discussion.

Postby kfgg » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:33 am

Clock was changed on this one. 7min commercials at the beginning of the hour, and a shorter break toward the end. Let the episode flow longer without stopping.

Episode was pretty lame. I don’t expect much from season openers.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:55 am

Welcome back to South Park!

Opening the show as Tegridy Farms was a huge surprise and I'm on board. But seeing Randy get all Godfather on the homegrowers, that might be a bit to far for that character. It's like the first time we saw Fatass pull a gun on someone.

And we start with Fatass doing another stupid mean thing to Kyle. But as a gateway into the story about the family separation, I'll take it, because they made that story work. It wasn't just the concept of Mexican Joker, it was also the ICE people getting all flustered about Kyle being a Jew. Not only funny but also quite poignant.

You read it! You can't unread it!
JamesPolo

Postby JamesPolo » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:02 am

Well I liked the episode. Thought it was weird how the show didn’t start for 7 minutes. I wonder if there was a technical problem. I wouldn’t mind future episodes to air the same way as the episodes flow better. I did like the Tegrity farms intro. I think it would have been nicer to have had different words to it.

The tour of the Tegrity Farms farm was nice and I was jealous. It looked like a fun tour and one I would like to take. It was like a winery tour or something.

I have a family member named Juan Carlos so that part was funny but he is like upper middle class Peruvian and is here legally. He is kind of an assh*le but his kids are great. I do feel bad for illegals and know some, as I know people that employ them, but life is just crazy and it’s all about looking out for yourself first. America is kind of built now to just bully all other countries into working slave labor and forced to buy American everything at a high price before creating their own goods and services and they are forced to sell resources cheap. America and then Russia have the world whipped.

So I guess it was just people from town that had homegrown weed. When I think of homegrown I remember someone who was a huge dealer would like own a house and grow all throughout it and that the weed was stuff you couldn’t get anywhere else. I would think the homegrown in the episode the towns people grew wouldn’t be that good as you have to know how to grow pretty well to get good bud. Still a persons first crop would still get you high and having your own plants it fun as hell. Getting the seeds used to be the most difficult part. You had to buy them on the dark web or something. Not sure what its like now. Usually people create like a hybrid plant that’s bud has no seeds.

There was a little of Greta Thunberg in Cartman, just enough I think. Cartman’s drink of like seven soda flavors and coffee looked gross. Him tell on people was childish and perfect but we all know it would never happen in the real world.

I think I heard some Scarface music when Randy made a deal with the Med Men. The episode like ends with the Godfather film music. It is kind of crazy that Randy went and setup explosives to take out all the homegrown setups so his business would do well. Not sure how that character will handle murder. Feels like something will happen to Randy with Karma. Hope Randy didn’t kill anyone and it was the Med Men but he seemed to be in on it so it feels like Randy will be killed off or something or maybe it is he loses his farm at the end of the season.

The Mexican Joker bit was creative. It was that the bad treatment would turn a Mexican child into the Joker who would rape and kill people. Shock therapy would definitely mess with someone. It makes me wonder if our treatment of illegals is okay but I still side with that we can’t afford to take in all these people and the like. Better help your own kind first.

Nice shaming tactic by Kyle to convert all the illegal kids into Jews. That would probably work. I know Israel doesn’t treat any colored people well that visit there and it doesn’t matter if they are Jewish or not, if they are non-white they get the treatment. Like abuse and rape.

I really liked the episode and it had me wanting more. I really liked the thrill it had. I really like weed so that must be it. I guess this season will have lots of continuities. I’d give her a 9/10.
He was a wise man who invented beer. -Plato
https://www.machiavelliannews.com/
JamesPolo

Postby JamesPolo » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:41 am

I liked the Randy Tegrity Farms plush that was bein sold at the Tegrity Farms store.

Also I can't help but want to buy a jacket like Randy has. What brand is it? I think it may be Carhartt. I think I saw the similar K logo at a Orchard Supply Hardware store once with clothing.
He was a wise man who invented beer. -Plato
https://www.machiavelliannews.com/
Big-Will
Board Moderator

S23E01: "Mexican Joker" postshow discussion.

Postby Big-Will » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:24 am

So, what'd you think? Good? Bad? Let us know!
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
JVM

Re: S23E01: "Mexican Joker" postshow discussion.

Postby JVM » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:23 am

Opening the show as Tegridy Farms was a huge surprise and I'm on board. But seeing Randy get all Godfather on the homegrowers, that might be a bit to far for that character. It's like the first time we saw Fatass pull a gun on someone.
This is largely how I felt. The show's been filled with these moments in the last few seasons where characters seem to take darker turns with neither dramatic or even comedic justification, just because they want the story to go a certain way. What really threw it into stupid territory for me is that they literally rebranded the show about Randy in the same episode they made him a terrorist. That's a really poor choice of timing if nothing weirder.

I hate feeling like I'm coming on just to complain. I know about five people still read these threads and they each have their own thoughts and opinions that are more valid than mine. I'm just truly mystified by everything going on here. It didn't feel like there was even a full story or any jokes beyond 'Mexican Joker' and Cartman's songs.

Maybe I've finally become an old fuddy-duddy who doesn't get it..
nwt000

Postby nwt000 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:29 am

I just hope that this doesn’t become the Tegridy Farms show and everybody else in town becomes an afterthought. The intro and outro have me concerned that they’re heading in that direction now. I also wish Randy would go back to his old self, getting caught up in the latest stupid trends and hilariously misunderstanding things.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:40 am

So it's pretty clear that Randy will become the Joker, if he isn't already (with all the bombings fit for a Joker).

The ICE agents took Kyle's Joker speculation as fact, and Kyle had to remind Jeff/Jefe that THERE WAS NO MEXICAN JOKER. Jeff found himself in the wrong flashback and... took out two other agents and drive off.

You know your business has hit it big when you can give a tour of the company... in a jungle cruise boat, the S.S. Tegridy. That was a random gratuity. :)
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
BringBackChef

Postby BringBackChef » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:51 am

I used to really like Randy Marsh. Now I feel he dominates the show and I am growing tired of him. Anyone else feel the same way?
nwt000

Postby nwt000 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:58 pm

BringBackChef wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:51 am
I used to really like Randy Marsh. Now I feel he dominates the show and I am growing tired of him. Anyone else feel the same way?
I feel that way.
kfgg

Postby kfgg » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:04 pm

In this case they had a lot of ideas, probably would have done more. Guessing there was a lot of deleted scenes with this one. The story is fine. Lot of obvious political commentary and parody. Just too much going on at once and too much to fit into 22 minutes. This is usually where episodes have problems.

If it seemed gloomy, it was. South Park was always good at mirroring the state of the world. This episode did just that. The migrant camps for one thing. No secret there. For those who live in legal Marijuana states or Canada it’s “Big Weed” trying to stop home grow. This episode was basically those two things in one.
ZenG

Postby ZenG » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:46 pm

👌My introspections👌

Being a major fan, I have to give the season 23 premier an A-, based on the overall intellectually consistent, creative excellence, Cartman’s solid return to form, groovy continuity via the Tegrity themed opening, & the continued wonderful soundtrack / audio levels as well....

The last few weeks of promo teasers were outstandingly enjoyable as always, including the enjoyable additional interactive SPandMe site. Hopefully we may see more Buddha Box, Member Berries, and possible Coon to the rescue. Btw, for those in the same mindset / enjoying the ads, look fwd to DoubleTap!!
Maybe Southpark could incorporate a dash of that in their Halloween episode :twisted: :mrgreen: :twisted:

I close with Cartmans’ very groovy & poignant couch insight: “...How are us kids supposed to have any hope anymore? All I think about is all the problems our generation is inheriting; climate, overfishing, Kyle...
I mean, how are we supposed get happy about anything?”🤪 8) 🤟

James--76

Postby James--76 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:13 pm

Not bad I had a couple of laughs from this but Randy saying f*ck South Park I wonder if this is how Trey Parker feels about the show now but why sign for 3 more seasons.
Kyle: Why? How could you do this? There are people starving in Alabama and you give Cartman a million dollars?

Cartman: Line? Lines! I HATE LINES!!!
Stanluv25

Postby Stanluv25 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:43 pm

Meh. Not like I was expecting this one to be amazing. I am confused why the info for the show states Randy becomes confused for a towel yet that joke was only introduced the last few minutes of the show. The opening was pretty funny but like everyone, I am concerned they are taking this Tegridy Farms thing a bit too far. It would have been nice to see the Marsh family return to South Park at the end of this one. Continuity is fine if the jokes are fresh and things are exciting but like season 20, they keep repeating the same spiel. We get it, Randy is proud of his little weed farm. Seeing him again getting pissed off at everyone else for their alternative weed options isn't funny. Maybe I just don't get it because I don't smoke, I dunno. But M&T are taking the idea to blah places. It's also kind of annoying to see Stan, Sharon, and Shelley just go along with it. Obviously they are annoyed with Randy but it would be nice if they actually said or did something against Tegridy Farms. Like they ban together to secretly take the farm down so they can just return home again. Like Shelley burned down Blockbuster in 'Nightmare on Facetime.' Hilarious. That would be refreshing to see.

The immigration thing wasn't interesting either. Of course Cartman has the Broflovskis round up and sent away and of course Kyle is pissed off and tries to think of a way out. Then we have Cartman arrive feigning forgiveness and understanding. It gets old. They have to do something creative next week to tie up the loose threads of this season opener. Where is Ike, Gerald, and Sheila? Will Randy finally give up his weed farm and go home? This episode ended weird. Randy daring Sharon to call him a towel. She does and walks away angry. The end. Umm... okay?

5/10, nothing special.
I love: Stan, Butters, Cartman, Sharon.

I ship: Stan/Cartman <3

Stan: MMOOMM!!
Sharon: What is it honey? (gasp!) My baby's killed again!
Haa, I love that line.
Female345

Postby Female345 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:25 pm

BringBackChef wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:51 am
I too am tired of Stan's dad dominating the show. Turn the focus on one of the other parents. Like Gerald or Kenny's dad.

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”