S23E01: "Mexican Joker" postshow discussion.

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

mario88

Re: S23E01: "Mexican Joker" postshow discussion.

Postby mario88 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:45 pm

I can't say I particularly enjoyed this episode, though it did have several interesting bits. Unlike many south park fans, I'm ok with randy being the focus of the show, but I don't want it to become the chronicles of marsh family's economy.

I find more interesting that turn to evil at the end of the episode, assuming it was Randy's doing.

The "towel" thing is actually the central part of the episode. That's randy having glimpses of his conscience talking to him. He fears he is losing his humanity. And if he indeed was the one killing home growers, then he's already on that path.

As for the Mexican joker joke, that was a bit meh. The u.s. is already full of joker wannabes, you don't have to look into the irregular immigrants to find one. Every shooting is the act of individuals who believe they have the right to kill because they feel someone treated them badly.

I expect more insight into Randy's now disturbed soul. Wating for episode 2. I'll give this one 7/10.
He is the record!
Blabbermouthed

Postby Blabbermouthed » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:41 am

Felt like this episode was over in a second! Didn't really make me laugh out loud, but I enjoyed the morality all the more. Kyle points out the camps are fascistic. Towelie tells Randy exploiting the weed business by trying to prevent people to grow it themselves is for towels. And just a couple of days ago I saw something on tv about electric shock therapy attracting attention for "healing" the severely depressed by destroying (memories in) the brain, I like how the guy in the back applies some more shocks regardless of what his boss was saying :D Next!
Are you sure? Are you HIV positive?
JVM

Postby JVM » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:11 am

nwt000 wrote:I just hope that this doesn’t become the Tegridy Farms show and everybody else in town becomes an afterthought. The intro and outro have me concerned that they’re heading in that direction now. I also wish Randy would go back to his old self, getting caught up in the latest stupid trends and hilariously misunderstanding things.
James--76 wrote:Not bad I had a couple of laughs from this but Randy saying f*ck South Park I wonder if this is how Trey Parker feels about the show now but why sign for 3 more seasons.
Yeah, I think this is the diciest thing; it's also the only bit in this episode to make me chuckle a little on second viewing. It does feel a little too obvious and self-referential, but I also think back to the s22 comms where Matt explains Randy's outburst in the car about moving ("Dog's butthole? That's what we're doin' now?") is just Trey. I feel like they're still interested in doing a satirical cartoon in this style in this timeslot, but the indicator is sort of, the South Park you knew and loved is truly dead, and we're doing this now. I think that might be why their interest in a 300th episode special seems pretty deceased. Why call back old stuff when we can do more of what we're enjoying?
mario88 wrote:Unlike many south park fans, I'm ok with randy being the focus of the show, but I don't want it to become the chronicles of marsh family's economy.
I think the latter is actually the real problem with this particular runner; there's a lot more talking about profits and business than there are the actual weed/hemp jokes there were in "Tegridy Farms". I mean, the premise doesn't ignore or minimize his profession, but that's not where most of the humor is derived anymore.
Female345 wrote:I too am tired of Stan's dad dominating the show. Turn the focus on one of the other parents. Like Gerald or Kenny's dad.
This is actually the thing I think about most when it comes to Randy, honestly -- even if Trey and Matt don't want to use the kids, it does feel like they could give some of his roles to other adult characters. I liked that they used Gerald for season 20; while there were problems with the season, and he was a difficult choice, it was someone different. Kenny's dad still hasn't really gotten much to do in the show's full run though. I feel more strongly about this since in the last five or six seasons, a lot of Randy episodes only tangentially involve Stan, Sharon or Shelly.. and even if you need Stan and a voice of reason like Sharon, like, you could use Jimbo and Ned, and revive those connections.

This show has hundreds of recurring characters, but the ball always seems to come back to Cartman and Randy, basically; even episodes about Stan and Butters are becoming rare. The supporting characters have all been somewhat reduced to, well, generic supporting characters, too; even Randy can become normal and competent in a supporting role; so the whole show kind of forces itself to focus on those two, or sometimes PC Principal, who all act as negative archetypes or anti-hero protagonists.
South Park is a platform for Matt and Trey's social commentary and satire; there is no canon and these characters only serve as tools for self-expression. Don't get attached.
2Sheds_Jackson

Postby 2Sheds_Jackson » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:49 pm

Gotta say that I was disappointed in this one.

The Tegridy farms thing...I dunno. I'm not particularly interested in the marijuana, so it seems to me like it's being beaten to death. Randy is generally portrayed as somebody who tries to do the right thing, but goes way too far with it and is at his best an overly-enthusiastic idiot. Now they're making him look like an a-hole...and if he planted the bombs, well, then he's even worse than that. Hopefully they'll bring this back to a place where we can cheer for him rather than against him.

The Mexican Joker thing...well it's clever enough, but the way they set it...it simply wasn't very funny. And I thought they were trying to be funny, not "important". I didn't see anything but missed opportunities in the story line. How in God's name did they not show the clash between that nitwit OAC and the ICE employees? And no mention of the preposterous claim that ICE had kids drinking from toilets? And a complete lack of courage to show the other side of the issue. Tell me there wasn't some comedy to be mined from the kids stuck there with absolutely no idea of what's going on- having been brought to the US by strangers, thrown into chaos by adults on both sides of the border who are using them for their own purposes. So much to work with, and they did nothing with it. The bad guy is ICE. This is the same easy, comfortable mush we get from every other late night talk show and network cartoon show. South Park is supposed to stand out from the crowd because it dares to kick sand in the face of everybody else. When did these guys stop giving the entertainment establishment the finger and decide they wanted to be invited to all the right parties?

The whole Jews in camps thing kinda fell flat for me, since it was basically a joke (unintentional as it was) that our politicians already made several months ago. Why bother making it again? It seemed to me like they were more interested in checking a box next to an issue to show it had been addressed, rather than making a funny episode.
mario88

Postby mario88 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:22 am

What do you mean by "lack of courage"? They mocked the government's policies on immigration. The episode had flaws, but I definitely would not say they lacked courage.
He is the record!
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:08 pm

2Sheds_Jackson wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:49 pm
Gotta say that I was disappointed in this one.

The Tegridy farms thing...I dunno. I'm not particularly interested in the marijuana, so it seems to me like it's being beaten to death. Randy is generally portrayed as somebody who tries to do the right thing, but goes way too far with it and is at his best an overly-enthusiastic idiot. Now they're making him look like an a-hole...and if he planted the bombs, well, then he's even worse than that. Hopefully they'll bring this back to a place where we can cheer for him rather than against him.

The Mexican Joker thing...well it's clever enough, but the way they set it...it simply wasn't very funny. And I thought they were trying to be funny, not "important". I didn't see anything but missed opportunities in the story line. How in God's name did they not show the clash between that nitwit OAC and the ICE employees? And no mention of the preposterous claim that ICE had kids drinking from toilets? And a complete lack of courage to show the other side of the issue. Tell me there wasn't some comedy to be mined from the kids stuck there with absolutely no idea of what's going on- having been brought to the US by strangers, thrown into chaos by adults on both sides of the border who are using them for their own purposes. So much to work with, and they did nothing with it. The bad guy is ICE. This is the same easy, comfortable mush we get from every other late night talk show and network cartoon show. South Park is supposed to stand out from the crowd because it dares to kick sand in the face of everybody else. When did these guys stop giving the entertainment establishment the finger and decide they wanted to be invited to all the right parties?

The whole Jews in camps thing kinda fell flat for me, since it was basically a joke (unintentional as it was) that our politicians already made several months ago. Why bother making it again? It seemed to me like they were more interested in checking a box next to an issue to show it had been addressed, rather than making a funny episode.
Let me show you something. From your own text:
And I thought they were trying to be funny, not "important".
Then you say
How in God's name did they not show the clash between that nitwit OAC and the ICE employees? And no mention of the preposterous claim that ICE had kids drinking from toilets? And a complete lack of courage to show the other side of the issue.
You're asking them to be important here, not funny.

And three clarifications:

1. AOC was talking about women drinking from toilets, not kids.

2. There's no word for what the women were drinking from, It combines a water fountain and a toilet in one unit, and it's hard to see anyone drinking from it without noticing the toilet part.

3. AOC happened to visit at a time when the fountain part of one unit wasn't working, which explains why "women were kept in cells w/ no water." What are you going to drink from when the fountain part of a unit isn't working, assuming the toilet is clean? The toilet. And thus the preposterous claim that ICE had women drinking from toilets.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”