S23E02: "Band in China" preshow discussion.

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

Big-Will
Board Moderator

S23E02: "Band in China" preshow discussion.

Postby Big-Will » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:13 am

S23 E02 - Band in China

Randy sees an opportunity for TEGRIDY in China, but gets in big trouble during a visit there. Meanwhile, Stan starts a band to work out his frustration over having to move away from South Park.

Butters, Jimmy, and Kenny are back. 😊 Matt and Trey sometimes fit two storylines in their episode titles. This is the case here.

This looks like the second part of a two-parter. Kyle and Cartman were in the premiere, Butters and Kenny are in this one. Stan and Randy are in both eps.

Drum up a little business
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
JVM

Re: S23E02: "Band in China" preshow discussion.

Postby JVM » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:32 am

I was just thinking the other day about how many years it had been since the show visited a band storyline, although the first episode certainly captured a particular era. I wonder if there may be any references to those previous episodes here? ...Probably not.

What adds some interest though is the lineup here is very unique. Jimmy, Butters, Kenny and Stan are all characters that are more often played off Cartman or others than each other, and none of them have been as in focus the last few years as Cartman and Kyle. This isn't another 'the four boys form another band' sort of story. There's some strong potential to recapture some of the 'kids doing stuff' magic here and even if the show doesn't hit that, we should still get good content for some fan favorite kids.

I have no clue what the Randy story is supposed to be about, even after watching the clip; I can't even figure out if it's a continuation of last week's story or just a separate Tegridy Farms story using the same gag. I can be fairly forgiving with Randy but it looks pretty bland.

No sign of Cartman and Kyle, which either means they're not in focus this week, more likely, or possibly, they're still at the detention center.
JamesPolo

Postby JamesPolo » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:09 am

Stanluv25 will be happy about this episode.

China has people making drugs that are synthetic that then can be shipped to the US undetected. It’s causing an epidemic and killing lots of people. A lot of the fentanyl is coming from China. I bet Randy gets into trouble by trying to push marijuana on people there, which like possession gets you years in jail. Some of these countries around there you get a life sentence for just a small amount of weed. Still I can see Randy getting a hookup for other illegal drugs. I remember some basketball player stole some sunglasses and he was looking at several years in prison, but Trump got him back home. I guess this will introduce for the first time this season, Garrison, as he will be tasked to free Randy. I can also see Randy trying to start marijuana farms in China and that causing arrests.

Randy sure seems like an arrogant assh*le going around saying that people stole his idea like 3 days ago. I think that plot is meant to be reoccurring.

Interesting is how everyone in China these days pay for goods and services by card or phone. Its like unheard of now for people in China to have paper or coin money. And as far as I know, one of the main problem’s marijuana businesses have in the US, or at least CA, is that banks will not accept their money or something like that and most transactions have to be done in cash. There are a lot of robberies of people with large amounts of cash from sales of marijuana.

The band seems fun. By the look of Stan’s hair, it makes me think of a grunge band. I’m guessing there will be girls interested in the band and dating the band members, I’m sure people here will like that. Maybe the band has a way of saving Randy? Like the band, because they become popular in China, are able to help free Stan’s dad. The bands own lyrics may be about Randy and China. Feels like it may be like the K-Pop phenomenon also. Not sure what the music would be about. Sounds like Stan just singing about hating farms and weed and missing home in South Park.

I think too that Cartman and Kyle will still be at the detention center this whole episode. Wonder if the Mexican Joker plot is now dead?

Part of the joke of the title of the episode ‘Band in China’ is of the word Band, as there is a trade war and so they are referring to a “Ban”. I don’t really know the whole tariff business and with what qualifies in the ban. I know that China bans or taxes way more of our stuff than the US does theirs. Its kind of unfair.
He was a wise man who invented beer. -Plato
https://www.machiavelliannews.com/
Stanluv25

Postby Stanluv25 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:17 pm

^^ Maybe haha

G-aahhhh!!! Sounds frikkin awesome. I love the press image. Stan's really embracing the rock n' roll stance with the knee to the floor and hair flip, haha. Funny, in my head I do picture him starting up a band by the time he goes to high school. So this will be very fun to see. Will we get some fun original songs? Does Stan have a secret gift for writing music? Will he embrace his goth side again? Whatever it is I am so super excited to see. For a second though I was confused why Kyle wasn't a part of the band then I remembered he's at some detainment camp from last week. :-O Will Randy actually fly to China to try and market his weed? If so that leaves Stan, Sharon, and Shelley on the farm. Maybe Stan's band helps to take the business down and he can finally move back home to SP. Then again it's called 'Band in China'. Maybe the boys are the ones that end up there instead.

Whatever happens I'm impatiently waiting to watch!!!!
I love: Stan, Butters, Cartman, Sharon.

I ship: Stan/Cartman <3

Stan: MMOOMM!!
Sharon: What is it honey? (gasp!) My baby's killed again!
Haa, I love that line.
JamesPolo

Postby JamesPolo » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:06 am

I looked at the Band in China Wiki page and it has a new image of Randy being arrested on the airplane by two Chinese police officers. Randy must do something very disruptive on the flight and gets arrested. He may even smoke weed and get arrested rate away.
JamesPolo

Postby JamesPolo » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:43 am

Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:37 am

JamesPolo wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:43 am
Please read: https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/2019/10/ ... ting-call/
Intellectual property and copyright infringement. China is notorious for pirating American shows and making knockoffs of American products. Winnie the Pooh and Piglet are Disney intellectual properties, and I could see knockoffs of them in the episode.

mario88

Postby mario88 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:24 pm

A guy on the South Park Studios channe on YouTubel, in the comment section, wrote that randy is becoming a narcissist like cartman and got over 1k upvotes.

I disagree with that: randy is not a narcissist, nor is he becoming one.

Quite simply, the obsession for business is turning him into a huge assh*le. He doesn't do things for the sake of being noticed.
He is the record!
JamesPolo

Postby JamesPolo » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:18 pm

The internet says this: https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-china-blog-40627855

2 years ago people did memes of China's President Xi Jinping of him as Winnie the Pooh and so the country banned Winnie the Pooh all together. I was thinking also like how Poland hates Winnie the Pooh as they see the character as transgender or something.

This seems like an old plot. I guess Trey wanted something funny to joke on Xi Jinping about. XI must be in the episode a lot and so Trey decided to resurrect the meme joke. Wonder who piglet is? Probably a military general I'd guess.
Randy Marsh 2016

Postby Randy Marsh 2016 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:56 am

I can't help but think there will be at least a mention of the Hong Kong protests in this episode. It only seems like the epsode will be about stuff being banned in China, so I wouldn't expect an entire plot on the protests/China's inhumane reactions to them.
JamesPolo

Postby JamesPolo » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:57 am

I just found out that Carrie Lam a leader of Hong Kong was depicted as piglet in the memes. So with all the news lately of the Hong Kong protests and China’s crackdowns and China’s parades showing off military might, I think that will all be addressed. Maybe Matt and Trey want to show Lam and Xi making up and being friends? I have to admit I would like to see Hong Kong be left alone.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:34 am

Oh, never mind my previous post then. 😄

kfgg

Postby kfgg » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:43 am

Noticed all the spats at Disney. Makes me wonder if that was about Hulu now that they basically own it.

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”