S23E02: "Band in China" postshow discussion.

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

Big-Will
Board Moderator

S23E02: "Band in China" postshow discussion.

Postby Big-Will » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:50 am

Have at it!
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
Female345

Re: S23E02: "Band in China" postshow discussion.

Postby Female345 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:08 am

I really hope that Stan's dad isn't a main focus this season. The ep was decent.
JamesPolo

Postby JamesPolo » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:10 am

First impression is that Randy is now a serial killer. I’d say he is Dexter, but he kills the innocent. I think that Randy will kill every episode this season. Randy is nothing but a greedy money loving murderer. Randy will be the main character all season it seems and with new intros as well. I'll predict the season ends with the Marsh family returning back home though.

I did love the episode; it was probably better than last week, as it had lots of shock value and surprise that showed things that you before only could have dreamed of.

I liked the autumn festival; I like how the show has small town events highlighted as in the last few seasons.

Stan’s band was a heavy death metal band. Crimson Dawn sounds like a familiar name. I hate that kind of music, but it was fun.

I didn’t expect Disney to be part of the episode, I didn’t know Winnie the Pooh was owned by Disney now but like they own it all these days. I guess everyone wants to get into the market with China but as of late, people have told me to be worrisome. Trump wasn’t in it or Garrison. Trump is making most global markets suck rate now. The trade war is bad news. I don’t think the episode makes much sense to that effect. Even my GM professor told people to use caution with China’s markets. I know that China will censor movies themselves and create their own versions of the film for viewing in their country. I didn’t really know and still don’t, if there is a widespread problem with products and films that they have to be edited before release everywhere just so it sells well in China, never heard of the issue.

I know nothing of biopics. I guess they’re just movies like Rocketman or Bohemian Rhapsody. I don’t know this joke but there are a lot of music groups getting biopics as of late. I didn’t see one personally. Jimmy saying, he is a homosexual and addicted to cocaine was perfect and what people want but not the Chinese. Fits the films I mentioned.

I do think it was nice to see China’s oppression and censorship to be joked on. They are too strict. Not sure how Randy would be able to sell his product to the Chinese and get them to release him from a work camp, but he did it.

Winnie the Pooh and Piglet were fun. I didn’t expect to see them in prison but rather jokes on the President but whatever the memes were mentioned. I think the depiction of Chinese prisons were accurate. People should read up on how millions of Muslims are being held in “reeducation camps” that many may never be released until they forget they Muslim culture and learn to be Chinese.

Mickey Mouse was in the episode and him smoking weed was funny. He didn’t even think that someone else could be selling their product and making money in China. Didn’t know how whipped Disney is by Chinese censorship. I wonder how far Randy will go this season and how often of a reoccurring plot it will be with Randy trying to make money selling his Tegrity weed? He is now killing someone every episode and its people that are good. Randy is a psychopath. I’m sure he will find new problems and markets or issues with his farm and kill to solve them all season.

The scene with the Chinese military General helping stan write his biopic was a great scene. Had me laugh a lot. I think the episode could have used Guan Yu and some of that Romance of the Three Kingdoms as that is China’s favorite.

Randy killing Winnie the Pooh caught me off guard and it was a crazy scene. I guess he offed Piglet as well. Randy is the Mafia now. They have that The Irishman film coming out, wonder if anything relates to that film?

Vanilla and cheesy and then Stan gets the idea to reboot his old band Finger Bang. Wonder what girl Stan has been spending time with? It was nice to see Finger Bang again.

I loved the episode and will watch again. I would rate it like last week but this time a 9.5/10.
He was a wise man who invented beer. -Plato
https://www.machiavelliannews.com/
ZenG

Postby ZenG » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:38 am

🌈🏆UTTERLY f*cking HYSTERICAL🏆🌈
Absolute perfect episode, & unquestionably my new fave!!! ...from Tegridy, to Thrash 🤟Metal kids, to friggin China, Randy's arrest / forced Communism, Capitalist mayhem maniplutation, Winnie The Pooh & Piglet😜Mafioso Mickey Mouse... Holy crap it had me laughing thru the entire damn thing!!! Tegridy farms closing Ad for China was just pure perfection!!!
🏆🤟💣🏆💣🤟🏆
A+++ Total Masterpiece!!!
🌈🏆😈🏆
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:41 am

JamesPolo wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:10 am
Crimson Dawn sounds like a familiar name.
Think Crimson Tide and Red Dawn.

triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:08 pm

"Cheesy nostalgia." Cut to the boys reuniting Fingerbang. :lol:
Great job calling out your own industry for kowtowing to chinese censorship. All the big tech companies are guilty, too.

As I observed last week, this has been a dark turn for Randy. Last week he's blowing up people's gardens; this week he's a hitman for Disney/China. It's clear he is arcing away from the 'tegridy that was integral to last season in the name of the almighty dollar. I dare say that he is breaking bad this season. I'm sure there's some message in there about being sold a product that's literally the opposite of what it's marketing says it stands for.
This week, though, Randy did strike me as exceptionally stupid, even for him. Like he didn't know pot was illegal in China? I mean come on, Randy!

I felt something like what happened coming as they were setting up Crimson Dawn at the fall festival. Reminds me of way back to the end of Korn's Groovy Pirate Ghost Mystery. They set up Falling Away From Me in a similar way. What would be the funniest thing to follow a bluegrass duo? Why thrash metal, of course!

The return of Mickey as the embodiment of Disney is exactly what was needed. The line about "Do I own South Park?" -"Not yet." Best one-liner of the episode. Funny but also chilling because I never thought they'd swallow Fox entertainment, yet they did. Now it doesn't seem unrealistic for Viacom to get sucked into Disney's gaping maw. With very few and far larger media companies, there are fewer entities to stand up to something like Chinese censorship when it comes to mass media. With the big guys following the money into compliance, China has more resources to devote to intimidating smaller productions.

A strong episode. I expect to see more of Stan's budding music career as we go along. And now Kyle and Fatass are back in town for next week.

You read it! You can't unread it!
Clarkzero

Postby Clarkzero » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:08 pm

I'm disappointed with this season so far, but I was disappointed at the beginning of Season 22 too, and that season turned out to be somewhat good.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:28 pm

In Season 21 we had Gerald trolling everybody until the Danes came after him.
This season we have Randy showing us the dark side of capitalism. Will something happen to turn him around?

CowboyFromHell20

Postby CowboyFromHell20 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:58 pm

:mrgreen: That was pretty damn good! We're getting back to South Park at its fullest. Liked the Fingerbang throwback. That was funny as all hell. Solid 10/10, no problems with this one.
tym2077

Postby tym2077 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:01 pm

As a longtime fan of South Park (watching the show from S01), I must say that I am very disappointed in this episode. The producers show no interest in what China really is and what Chinese people actually think of their country. It is filled with cliche as well as imagined charges against "Communist China" while the fact is all these charges are either made-up/anachronistic or extremely exaggerated. At the end of this episode, Randy's weed advertisement uses footage from Russia, North Korea, etc, and mixes them up with photos with Chinese flags. This is straight-up fake and offensive to Chinese fans. I once believed that South Park handles political sarcasm well. It should not be like this. Stop spreading political stereotypes and lies, it is neither constructive nor funny.

--- A Chinese Audience.
Blabbermouthed

Postby Blabbermouthed » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:00 am

Absolutely fantastic episode! Made me laugh out loud unlike he first episode so this one was funnier to me. I am so sick of this corporate dictatorship we all indulge in where 'maximizing profits' is all that matters. I wish for a world where companies who sell out their soul to the stock market don't exist anymore because people stopped giving them their money as they'd consider it immoral. Thanks South Park for pointing out it's not cool to sell out. Now who's joining me in boycotting all products and services coming from sell outs? -- Thought so. -- Shut up grandpa!

South Park so funny :lol:
Are you sure? Are you HIV positive?
mario88

Postby mario88 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:54 am

Wow, so much to say about this episode.

So basically, Randy's transformation into the villain is complete.

We didn't get to know who caused the explosions of the first episode, so at this point I assume it was actually Randy's doing.

But even if it weren't, we have a guy who sold his soul. Yeah, he's a "towel" now. In the first episode, he was afraid of losing his conscience. Now they he already has, it only makes sense that conscience doesn't talk to him anymore.

It's interesting how south park is now exploring the dark sides of many characters. Quite predictably, cartman became an abusive individual in the relationship; browflowski senior's evil side is barely a relatively innocent troll; Randy is a ruthless businessman, who doesn't give a f*ck about the needs of his family.

I find of all this very fascinating.

Trey Parker and Matt stone are now around the age of 50, Trey has family (and I assume also Matt), it's natural that they need to express themselves through the adults, rather than through the children. I mean, they are not the guys in their late 20ies/early 30ies they used to be.

I liked that dig at Disney. Yes, they have sold themselves, which in their case isn't exactly "news" to be honest.

But I don't know of any other shows, or even a sociologist for that matter, who has said loud and clear that China now dictates Disney's agenda.

If I may add something, I find they lost the opportunity to go even harder on them, for example a parody of frozen would have been perfect.

Disney has always been cheesy, but now it's cheesy the way the Chinese like.

Very good episode. A tiny bit darker and harder would have made it perfect.

My vote: 8.5/10.
Last edited by mario88 on Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
He is the record!
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:00 pm

mario88 wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:54 am
We didn't get to know who caused the explosions of the first episode, so at this point I assume it was actually Randy's doing.

Trey Parker and Matt stone are now around the age of 50, Trey has family (and I assume also Matt), i's natural that they need to express themselves through the adults, rather than through the children. I mean, they are not the guys in their late 20ies/early 30ies they used to be.
Randy is hard to make out, but he's the one in the shadows leaving the couple's backyard.

Yes, Matt has family too, and one of his kids has voiced a character.

Stanluv25

Postby Stanluv25 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:38 pm

I loved it!! No surprised haha.

As stated before in my mind Stan forms a band when he's a teen. He takes up playing guitar around age 10. In here he's seen strumming a guitar but Butters and Kenny are the ones that take over that role while he, um, 'sings'. Whatever, it was still super cool to see something of a moment I've created about Stan come to fruition. What's great about SP is the little moments that aren't meant to be huge laughs but still have me rolling. Such as Stan saying he's writing a song and Randy responding, 'nobody cares about that!' Also Randy making the statement to Stan that 'family doesn't mean anything to him' but proceeds to throw a shirt over his face and walk off. :lol: 'Dad, why are you covered in honey and blood?' 'I'm going to write another song about you.' :lol:

Crimson Dawn- wow. What an awesome hardcore name for a band. And who knew the boys had such talent?! So fun to see Butters of all people shred on the guitar and Jimmy slamming on the drums. But of course the star- Stan, screaming into the mike. He really is super pissed off at his dad, almost in a new kind of way. Stan always complains about his dad but this time the hate is never-ending. It's kinda cool. Did Trey actually belt out the lyrics or was it someone else? :D

The only way to make money in music now is to have a biopic! :lol: And the line 'What, are you kids from the 90s?' lmao Randy showing up in China with a suitcase full of weed! LOL But how did he make it past the US airports with that then?? Fun to see the return of Mickey. 'South Park, do we own that?' 'Not yet!' :lol: Stan trying to write from his heart but still being censored in his own bedroom! Then the return of Kyle and Cartman to reunite Fingerbang! Guess M&T couldn't think of anything else for the Mexican Joker story. Hmm, what else? Man, Randy is doing some crazy unsteady sh*t now, leave him now Sharon! Take the kids and run! XD

Well I got my Stan eppy early. Which means the chances I'll get another this season are low. That makes me a saaaaadd panda. I do hope we get more Crimson Dawn though, I really do. I have just come from a trip to Colorado a couple weeks ago and the only music my family out there listens to is county! Must be a Colorado thing. I love me some hard rock so I'm sure their reaction would be that of the crowd during the Autumn Fest if I ever played my music of choice. :)

I've blabbered enough. 8.5/10
I love: Stan, Butters, Cartman, Sharon.

I ship: Stan/Cartman <3

Stan: MMOOMM!!
Sharon: What is it honey? (gasp!) My baby's killed again!
Haa, I love that line.
zstoms

Postby zstoms » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:24 am

That was f*cking dark.
Randy's murder scene was so heavy, It was hard to watch. All those fictional characters in the same room remind me of Imaginationland. And Mickey's appeareance was hilarous, aaaaaaaaalright who's the assh*le?
Unidos o dominados

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”