S23E07: "Board Girls" postshow discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

Big-Will
Board Moderator

S23E07: "Board Girls" postshow discussion

Postby Big-Will » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:21 am

How was it?
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
kfgg

Re: S23E07: "Board Girls" postshow discussion

Postby kfgg » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:32 am

Exactly what I expected
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:43 am

Holy cow, what happened Will? There's like 10 post show threads!

Anyway, pretty good take on the absurdist extreme of transgender issues. Not being into all the crazy-ass board games out there, I have no idea if the idea the that girls are better at them then boys is a thing. But it did provide a great opposite case study to Heather whats-her-face (who is basically Macho Man Randy Savage.)

Cheers on the original songs. It's been a minute, Trey.

You read it! You can't unread it!
JamesPolo

Postby JamesPolo » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:59 am

I really liked this episode. It was fun to have the PC Babies intro and an episode around them is entertaining. The Mulan joke was good and them liking CNN Anderson Cooper. Still AC gets it too easy on this show. All his appearances positive. I would like something negative about him. He seems real gross and gay if you think of having to spend time with him. Like I feel he has raped boys or men before and there are like court settlements where the victim is not allowed to speak. I just feel one day AC will get his own #METOO.

Heather Swanson AKA Macho Man Randy Savage was the best. He has been dead too long. It was perfect to see his likeness used. He was a favorite of many wrestling fans. So, in the show Heather’s real name is something like Blade or Blake Jaggart. I was waiting for the transition to be fake, but I guess we were supposed to think this character was really trans. The gym room entrance was hilarious. Heather was shaking her butt and had this big penis. perfect South Park silliness.

The whole thing with PC Principal not liking Heather and Heather and Strong Woman of having dated was nice. When PCP pushed Heather into that table that had me laughing and hoping for more. I was hoping to see a real fight between PCP and Heather, but one never came. maybe Heather will be used in the future on in video games. I think people will want that and to see a fight.

Girls being smarter than boys are meh. Girls were never really better than boys that I remember. I know lots of kids really do just want to play the game and not read the rule book. I don’t think it is just girls that win at games. It relates to gamer gate and girls playing video games. It really comes down to the person. Some people like to play games, so they read up on it and strategize and the like where as others don’t really care or just want to hang out and play pretend or something. I don’t think this was the best plot as I don’t think girls are just better. There were days where I was bored and so played along with other kids and so was like Cartman. But with other things and games I would read the manual and study and so I was very good. It also is built on developmental stages as a kid will reach an age where like doing good at school, they want to apply that type of strategy to games.

Still the episode was fresh and tried a lot of new things and plots used with characters that don’t see much screen time.

It was silly that the girls would start a board game club and that all the girls in the school would show up and play all the time. I know girls don’t normally like board games from what I remember.

How was it that the kids could play board games at school anyways? Was it during recess or after school? I don’t understand how that was supposed to work timewise.

The ending was okay. It was more then anything just fun to see Heather lose as she was being such a heel. So, it was okay to see the real girls win. The end with Cartman liking Heather and wanting to hang out and thinking she was cool was really nice. That had me laughing.

I loved the episode and think it was as good as last week.

I’ll give her an 8/10
He was a wise man who invented beer. -Plato
JamesPolo

Postby JamesPolo » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:16 am

I just realized I had mentioned macho man in the pre discussion but I didn't expect to see him as the opponent of strong woman.
DragonClaw513

Postby DragonClaw513 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:45 am

It was OK.

Not many laughs, I don't really care for these side stories very much. The whole PC topic is just kind of annoying. I watch to lighten up my day, not to see some more serious statement on politics. Really I haven't been very impressed with several of these last episodes. The Tegridy Farms stuff got stale fast, although in all fairness I'm not a Randy fan, and the PC stuff just turns me off.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:17 am

triplemultiplex wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:43 am
Holy cow, what happened Will? There's like 10 post show threads!

Anyway, pretty good take on the absurdist extreme of transgender issues. Not being into all the crazy-ass board games out there, I have no idea if the idea the that girls are better at them then boys is a thing. But it did provide a great opposite case study to Heather whats-her-face (who is basically Macho Man Randy Savage.)

Cheers on the original songs. It's been a minute, Trey.
13, lol. Dunno what happened there. I was making the thread on my phone.

Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:18 am

Heather Swanson (Blade Jaggart), aka Macho Woman? :lol:

Why Randy Savage and not Caitlyn Jenner?

Nick should love this episode!

PC Principal's real name is Peter Charles - PC.

No Heidi anywhere in this ep. :(

JOSHSKORN

Postby JOSHSKORN » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:47 am

OMG am I the only one that noticed that "Macho Man" aka Heather used one of Hulk Hogan's catchphrases?

I thought that was a pretty good episode, though.

I'm wondering if we'll see Mr. Slave make a comeback and do something with "Heather".
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:17 pm

JOSHSKORN wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:47 am
I'm wondering if we'll see Mr. Slave make a comeback and do something with "Heather".
Only if Heather comes in between him and Big Gay Al.

2Sheds_Jackson

Postby 2Sheds_Jackson » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:40 pm

Well it was an improvement over last week, which I found damn near intolerable. I don't know what's going on @ Comedy Central, but I'm pretty tired of the evangelizing. I don't even care what they're evangelizing for or about. I just don't need or want a lesson in anything.

It's like this latest promo on CC for the Daily Show where Trevor Noah tells us that he thinks it's the mission of "comedy" is to put the focus on issues. I thought comedy's mission was to be funny. SP's mission should also be to be funny, not teach us a lesson. It's like the show has become what it used to make fun of...only now instead of Kyle or Stan doing a sardonic "Y'know, I've learned something here today"...now they're actually doing it for real with PC Principal giving us a 100% serious summary of what he learned...just in case we were all too stupid to figure it out ourselves. Sheesh that was embarrassing to watch.

I dunno- maybe they've done research and this is what their current target audience wants to see. I'm obviously from their old target audience. I suppose that's inevitable but one would hope they'd simply spawn a new show rather than subvert their legacy.
Stanluv25

Postby Stanluv25 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:50 pm

Ughhh, this one was pretty bad. I don't know how anyone could honestly say this one was better than Season Finale or Band in China. I don't think I laughed once in this episode.

As I said before, never cared about the PC Principal/Strong Woman/PC babies characters or stories. They are stale and don't hold much weight. I get what Matt and Trey are going for with those characters but they just aren't funny. And now I fear that the rest of this season will be made up of a whole PC family arch. The first half we had a Tegridy Farms thing. Now that 'season' is over, we have a brand-new theme song with PC babies where they will probably take over the show. I cannot be the only person who doesn't want this. Of course M&T are going to do whatever they find funniest, it's always been that way. Ripping on those who complain about the current state of the show is what they've been doing this season. Don't see it changing. Nonetheless I will still bitch about it and bitch that there aren't any good 'boys being boys' episodes.Except 'Band in China'. And whattya know, it's been the majority favorite so far. Even if we see some of the boys forming a club devoted to games it still became about the girls and this whole 'strong woman' thing. If we just saw some fun silliness of boys vs girls like Proper Condom Use or The List, then I might have enjoyed this one.

I did not recognize a single game the kids were playing. The only games I know about are Monopoly, Scrabble, Uno. lol Wish there was an explanation as to why Kyle wasn't in the club. Guess he just doesn't care about games as much? But damn, Stan sure does seem to know his stuff. Another wasted opportunity though- it would have been really fun to see if Stan left 'Dice Studz' and joined the girls instead. Then Cartman would get pissed off and try to get Stan back to the 'right side.' Now THAT would have been interesting. *sigh*

All in all, a weak episode. 3/10. Season ends soon and it's going to be another year before we get a new one. Stan withdrawal kicking in already .. :?
I love: Stan, Butters, Cartman, Sharon.

I ship: Stan/Cartman <3

Stan: MMOOMM!!
Sharon: What is it honey? (gasp!) My baby's killed again!
Haa, I love that line.
nwt000

Postby nwt000 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:56 pm

Big-Will wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:18 am
Heather Swanson (Blade Jaggart), aka Macho Woman? :lol:

Why Randy Savage and not Caitlyn Jenner?

Nick should love this episode!

PC Principal's real name is Peter Charles - PC.

No Heidi anywhere in this ep. :(
Heidi was actually in the crowd of girls after Nichole, Tammy and Kelly beat "Heather" at a bunch of board games, although she ditched her hat it seems.
JamesPolo

Postby JamesPolo » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:43 am

2Sheds_Jackson wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:40 pm
Well it was an improvement over last week, which I found damn near intolerable. I don't know what's going on @ Comedy Central, but I'm pretty tired of the evangelizing. I don't even care what they're evangelizing for or about. I just don't need or want a lesson in anything.

It's like this latest promo on CC for the Daily Show where Trevor Noah tells us that he thinks it's the mission of "comedy" is to put the focus on issues. I thought comedy's mission was to be funny. SP's mission should also be to be funny, not teach us a lesson. It's like the show has become what it used to make fun of...only now instead of Kyle or Stan doing a sardonic "Y'know, I've learned something here today"...now they're actually doing it for real with PC Principal giving us a 100% serious summary of what he learned...just in case we were all too stupid to figure it out ourselves. Sheesh that was embarrassing to watch.

I dunno- maybe they've done research and this is what their current target audience wants to see. I'm obviously from their old target audience. I suppose that's inevitable but one would hope they'd simply spawn a new show rather than subvert their legacy.
Watch Trevor Noah accept a job at CNN or something similar.
JVM

Postby JVM » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:32 am

I have not watch this episode, and I'm not planning to watch the rest of the season.

I wasn't planning to post anything, but I did want to note on observation on the show - this episode met a divisive reception and pissed off some people, and I'm not wading into whether or not that's valid, but what I do want to say is that it's undeniable proof that Matt and Trey's writing problems in this season were not about Randy Marsh as a character or Tegridy Farms as a point of focus. This one managed to be controversial all by itself, and incidentally, seems to have actually pulled apart the pockets of the fandom with a lot more force than the rest of the season did. Funny how that works, eh?

If someone doesn't like the direction the show's taking right now, we should all be able to agree now that it's not about a character or story element, or even politics, it's about Trey Parker and Matt Stone's writing.

It's been fun!
South Park is a platform for Matt and Trey's social commentary and satire; there is no canon and these characters only serve as tools for self-expression. Don't get attached.

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”