South Park: Post Covid - Postshow Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

Big-Will
Board Moderator

South Park: Post Covid - Postshow Discussion

Postby Big-Will » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:09 am

If you haven't seen the exclusive event yet, go to the Preshow Discussion and discuss. If you have seen it, proceed.
The South Park Scriptorium
The site itself is gone, but might return.

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
JOSHSKORN

Re: South Park: Post Covid - Postshow Discussion

Postby JOSHSKORN » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:50 am

I just saw it. Kinda not too keen on the fact that I had to subscribe to Paramount+ to see it. Also, no matter what I tried, the episode would not play on my PC through the website. I kept getting an error code 111. Thank God I purchased a Chromecast with Google TV device and have it hooked into my system, this finally worked. I dunno, maybe it has to do with some entries I have in my Windows Hosts file, because I received the same error message on every browser on my PC, and the app from the Microsoft Store.

As far as the episode was concerned, well..that was different.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:59 pm

Couple of runners were always good for a laugh; the singing doorbells, all the little songs with words about how it's the future, and then how every store and building is "Plus" or "Max".

Part of the charm of the first viewing is figuring out which character is who before they come out and say it. And I paused some of those group shots at the old folk's home to see who I could pick out.

Into the meat of the story, I'm 90% sure Fatass is f*cking with Kyle by becoming a rabbi. He is certainly the ugliest character in adult form. But what else would we expect?
The backstory with Stan and what went down with the weed farm was heavy. Seems like a natural conclusion to the rising tension between Stan and Randy with unfortunate consequences. I'm siding with Stan about the fire; it's Randy's fault for trying to force that lifestyle down everyone's throat.
Kenny as a world-renowned scientist; now there's a cool idea. I like the idea that he rose out of poverty to make something of himself. Very cool. Though I am a little disappointed this story is going to hinge on time travel. They are telegraphing the fact that there is a "reset" button coming. The bolder move would be to commit to a version of the future and just go with it. But I am happy about Kenny's motivation; not to stop the plague because it hurt everyone, but because it broke up their friendship.
Their timing couldn't have been better for having a scene with everyone freaking out about a new variant. Literally the day after this comes out.

For the next installment, I find myself speculating as to which of the guys gets to go back in time to 'fix' everything. Shades of "My Future Self N' Me" potentially if Stan meets his younger self. They're already setting up Fatass to sabotage everything so don't be surprised when that happens. Looking forward to seeing what they do with Butters next time after that little tease at the end. Always been a big fan of Professor Chaos since Butters first invented him. Given Butters past encounters with mental health professionals, seems about right that his alter ego would land him in the loony bin.

I like the guys trying new things like this. Why not make everyone 40 and see what's going on? Looking forward to part 2 or whatever they'll call it.

You read it! You can't unread it!
Mikeydoes

Postby Mikeydoes » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:10 pm

This episode was 30 times better than the vaccination specials.

I am not getting the liberal agenda that they're pushing now. It comes off the episodes pretty heavy to me, like actually taking a stance on Global Warming and vaccinations rather than ripping them.. Global Warming when the government is involved is a scam, it solves nothing and causes more problems. Vaccinations are not something you should ever be okay with enforcing. We have no idea how the will effect the planet, sure humans are going to SHELLFISHLY live and be healthy, but what is the virus is a way of thinning the herd?

Like why are they making someone who chooses to not get vaccinated as the bad guy, and not the powers that be for abusing power? No matter how stupid you think something is, you can never force something on someone, it will never work.
South Park fan since it's inception.
Token dude

Postby Token dude » Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:20 pm

Nice to see SP return to its clever, satirical form after such a disappointing last season. I particularly liked Jimmy’s politically correct “jokes,” the panic and run on toilet paper after the new Kenny variant, the boarded-up police station and the woman being shot for her groceries.

The one disappointment is that they have yet to make fun of our unpopular feeble-minded president. Instead they took another cheap shot at Trump.
Last edited by Token dude on Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:04 pm

Mikeydoes wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:10 pm
This episode was 30 times better than the vaccination specials.

I am not getting the liberal agenda that they're pushing now. It comes off the episodes pretty heavy to me, like actually taking a stance on Global Warming and vaccinations rather than ripping them. Global Warming when the government is involved is a scam, it solves nothing and causes more problems. Vaccinations are not something you should ever be okay with enforcing. We have no idea how they will affect the planet. Sure, humans are going to SHELLFISHLY live and be healthy, but what is the virus is a way of thinning the herd?

Like why are they making someone who chooses to not get vaccinated as the bad guy, and not the powers that be for abusing power? No matter how stupid you think something is, you can never force something on someone, it will never work.
That's what they're saying.

Someone who chooses to not get vaccinated as the bad guy?

No, they made clear that it was Stan, Kyle, and Cartman who were the bad guys. Those three came to admit it, and we'll see how they rectify this in part 2 of this event.

Clyde represents the principle of free will, that thing that prevents us all from submitting to authoritarian regimes, but also prevents us all from defeating a virus like COVID-19. The general who leads the troops to town and quarantines it won't single anyone out because of that person's personal beliefs. Matt and Trey are libertarians, but they're exploring why being that sometimes sucks. They support Clyde's right to believe what he does, but also think it's stupid to hold that belief after 40 years of living with the threat of the virus, when all the research that could be done on it has been done.

How long should "long-term research" be when a virus is sweeping the planet, killing thousands of people a day?

Matt and Trey have taken this hesitancy to the extreme. Clyde is just one of the dwindling number of people in 2061 who still don't trust the science, which is why the virus has stuck around all those decades.

what is the virus is a way of thinning the herd?

Heh, sure. There has been no reduction in the total number of people on this planet. Getting into specifics, which herd are you talking about?

The herd of people who take the vaccine without complaint and deal with it just fine?
The herd of people who never get COVID-19?
The herd of people who still see people get the virus and conclude that vaccines don't work?
The herd of people who still see people get the virus a second or third time after getting the vaccine and conclude that vaccines don' work?
The herd of people who live in parts of the world the virus just won't have much of an impact in?

Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:23 pm

Token dude wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:20 pm
The one disappointment is that they have yet to make fun of our unpopular feeble-minded president. Instead they took a cheap shot at Trump.
Biden may be feeble-minded, but he didn't promise the virus would magically disappear just a month after the first death was reported.
He didn't ignore masks when masks were the only protection we had against the virus.
He hasn't attended a superspreader event, nor has an event become a superspreader in his presence.

Trump could rightly lay claim to bringing the vaccines to us in record time, but his party has largely rejected that claim, being home to all the conspiracy theorists who cast doubt on the effectiveness of the vaccines. And yes, Matt and Trey never liked Trump.

WatchQ

Postby WatchQ » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:16 pm

I could not resists registering just to comment this

South park has been brilliant over.. 20 years? even when they showed they were "getting old" they could still produce quality humor.
Not once I failed to get the humor at their issues even with the Mr. Venezuela janitor (I am Venezuelan)

Of course I didn't enjoy much watching Scott eat his parents.............. but I get their point. When I think about how they played me, it's funny as hell

But lately south park is becoming selectively less satirical and in fact kind of tribal - just slightly. The stance they took about global warming (without addressing the government involvement problem) was not funny nor smart. But something worse left me with a sour taste: their tribal stance on vaccines

I mean, south park for all the fart joke humor they had, they always encouraged critical and free thinking. But it seems that with the vaccines they did the opposite. Or are they trying to avoid some crazy censorship like the one faced by Dr Corey Pierre, or things like Parler?

It's crap that they would not take the chance to talk about Ivermectin, for example. Or talk about how the vaccination strategy (which turned suddenly into 100% of population, even children) is obviously failing, and.. not being a vaccine, rather a therapy.

Eh, it's not much a rant but instead kind of an oddity: a fan for 20 years found something , reallly , really , really off with this stance..
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Sat Dec 25, 2021 1:59 am

There is not a discussion topic for the second half, so I'll just say it here.

I enjoyed the two-parter a whole lot. More than anything else from the show in a while- really strong effort.
That's how it's down here on the farm!
Big-Will
Board Moderator

South Park: Post Covid: The Return of COVID - Postshow Discussion

Postby Big-Will » Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:31 pm

No new thread necessary, as this event is a continuation and not part of a season.

SPKA2002

Postby SPKA2002 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:55 am

I really love the movie. Because it's should all the kids grown up, and Stan and Kyle look like Trey Parker and Matt Stone. I really love the design of the movie about the COVID-19. I wish we can see more of this soon
EC

Postby EC » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:19 pm

f*cking loved it, want Patty Lebelle’s Stir it up to be my ringtone! Was that song and scene an ode to Down and Out In Beverly Hills?
I forgive you, we were just a couple of kids
-Kelly Clarkson
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:53 am

Late to the party here, but seems like they had fun tying the second installment in with some plot points from last season.
I was convinced in part 1 that Fatass and his life's trajectory was all an elaborate "f*ck you" to Kyle, but I was wrong. I genuinely expected a moment of "ha, ha; I got you, Ky-ahl!" But as I recently read in another post by another old hand here at SPS, it makes sense that Fatass was doing great in world that sucks for everyone else. After all, he was at his most content when everyone else (especially Kyle) was in misery. As recently as last season with Cartman thoroughly enjoying lockdowns and remote schooling while his friends were losing it.

Fatass being against time travel really had echos of his ginger rights group in that he only gave a sh*t because it affected him personally. So that shows me his life as a rabbi and stuff hasn't changed who he is at his core.

Adult Butters as a huckster for an NFT pyramid scheme; that felt about right. Who else but gullible ol' Butters would get swept up in that kind of scam? To the point of realizing it's a scam and then leveraging his old Professor Chaos persona to rationalize continuing duping people into 'investing'. (Godddamn, NFT's are f*cking dumb! It's like, "What if we got people to fork over money like cryptocurrency, but without the burden of having to ostensibly exchange it for goods and services? Cha-ching!!)

There are so many subtle things in the background of this. Like the goth kids are still sort of dressed like goths in middle age. :lol:
Or Tweek and Craig are still together. Or Cartman threatening Butters still has the same feel. Or ex-President Garrison is just another old fogie at the retirement home.

I think this was a great new direction to try with their characters and their in show universe. They ultimately showed two possible futures for the kids of South Park without necessarily committing to anything. And even if we are to take the end scenes of this episode as canon, we all know they're no slaves to the universe they've created. It'll be interesting to see if they drop any references to these two futures in the upcoming season and beyond. Not because it'll be meaningful for a plot, but to reward us die hard nerds :P

You read it! You can't unread it!
EC

Postby EC » Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:54 am

Here’s my top ten bitches

1. Kevin still fucts it up (ie dressing in a Star Fleet uniform in the past)
2. Wendy being a total grad with the coke offer to Clyde lol
3. Vic f*cking Chaos (pronounced Chouce)
4. Alexia and the fuct up hoops of modern relationships (relationships with tech included)
5. Token & Jimmy barfing about NFTs to Kyle & Stan
6. Cartman making love to his wife in Kyles house
7. Music was choice AF
8. Stan killing his fam and joining space force WTF (most absurd)
9. Clyde’s bullsh*t
10. Vic Chaos pissing like butters
I’m sure there’s more butt my favs fo sho
-Kelly Clarkson
EC

Postby EC » Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:22 am

Holy Simpsons did it.
Beefcake’s nightmare about China and attempt to stop China (S12E8) may have been residual mass escaping and infiltration from his future time travel to prevent COVID. Pre-suppose this effect radiating to skew constants of reality (Mandela effect) such as an archeologist getting raped and exploring aliens.

We were warned
The same way the Simpsons predicted the future, South Park predicted the rape of Star Wars and the China Problem.

Beefcake knew what to do, but couldn’t bring himself down to the unethical dick shooting level of China.
Beefcake was a hero out of his time, had he known/ remembered COVID and time traveling, he’d shoot anyone’s dick to save the world.
-Kelly Clarkson

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”