The Official Cartman Discussion Thread

Discuss South Park characters with all your friends, buddies and guys.

Moderator: Big-Will

Cartman's Top Enemy

Postby Cartman's Top Enemy » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:02 pm

S-O-U-T-H-P-A-R-K wrote:alot [sic] of ppl think cartman is funny and when he is most like him

What about when he's not funny. Is he just as likeable?

S-O-U-T-H-P-A-R-K wrote:and ''cartmans top enemy'' how the f*ck could u watch the show by hating cartman?

I don't watch the show by hating Fatass, I watch the show by enjoying the storyline, the other characters and the overall quality of the show. Not everyone here watches SP for Fatass.
His attack, his goading and his quick departure from the discussion...clearly demonstrates that [Mr.Hat_DX27], like Stovepipe_Jam, Killahertz9, TheTowlieConnection and others before him, has no integrity.
phatcartman655

Postby phatcartman655 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:34 pm

Well, i only like when he's funny.
S-O-U-T-H-P-A-R-K

Postby S-O-U-T-H-P-A-R-K » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:32 am

Cartman's Top Enemy wrote:
S-O-U-T-H-P-A-R-K wrote:alot [sic] of ppl think cartman is funny and when he is most like him

What about when he's not funny. Is he just as likeable?

S-O-U-T-H-P-A-R-K wrote:and ''cartmans top enemy'' how the f*ck could u watch the show by hating cartman?

I don't watch the show by hating Fatass, I watch the show by enjoying the storyline, the other characters and the overall quality of the show. Not everyone here watches SP for Fatass.

when he isnt funny he is likeable, most of the time when he isnt funny heis doign something sneaky
Cartman's Top Enemy

Postby Cartman's Top Enemy » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:16 pm

S-O-U-T-H-P-A-R-K wrote: when he isnt funny he is likeable

How?

S-O-U-T-H-P-A-R-K wrote:most of the time when he isnt funny heis doign [sic] something sneaky

Is doing something sneaky is a likable quality?
His attack, his goading and his quick departure from the discussion...clearly demonstrates that [Mr.Hat_DX27], like Stovepipe_Jam, Killahertz9, TheTowlieConnection and others before him, has no integrity.
phatcartman655

Postby phatcartman655 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:15 pm

How?

S-O-U-T-H-P-A-R-K wrote:most of the time when he isnt funny heis doign [sic] something sneaky

Well, yes.
S-O-U-T-H-P-A-R-K

Postby S-O-U-T-H-P-A-R-K » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:18 am

How?

people do like that, people dont want to see boring sh*t like when they stand around

but when cartman is funny is likeable, when he isnt its still likeable.
phatcartman655

Postby phatcartman655 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:10 am

S-O-U-T-H-P-A-R-K wrote:

How?

people do like that, people dont want to see boring sh*t like when they stand around

but when cartman is funny is likeable, when he isnt its still likeable.

He's right. I like when cartman isn't funny too.
SeannyO

Postby SeannyO » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:17 pm

Sorry to but in here guys, but I'm a little confused.

If I'm understanding correctly, the basic premise here is that when "Cartman is not funny, he is likable". The first part of this implies that when he's "funny" he's being his old @$$hole self. And when he's not being an @$$, he's therefore as close to a nice guy that Cartman can possibly be, and is therefore likable.

This seems a little obvious to me only because it's so rare for Cartman to not lash out at everyone, and when he does the fresh phrasings and sentiments of Cartman are easy to stomach and oddly comfortable-- as if he really is this way deep down inside. Plus, to put it bluntly, if someone isn't an @$$, chances are they're going to be likable...

However, I would have to say that due to the irony of the situation, when he's LIKABLE he is FUNNY! Which is where my confusion first arose. By saying Cartman is either Funny or Likable and they are mutually exclusive seems wrong to me for the aforementioned reason.

To take it further I would also say that the ironic humor of his likability also comes from the anticipation of him eventually being an ass again! Everytime Cartman gets emotional about a subject, we're just waiting to see why it's self-serving. Which, in the end, is why Cartman kicks @$$!!!
--SeannyO
Cartman's Top Enemy

Postby Cartman's Top Enemy » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:08 pm

phatcartman655 wrote:
S-O-U-T-H-P-A-R-K wrote:
S-O-U-T-H-P-A-R-K wrote: when he isnt funny he is likeable[sic]

How?

but when cartman is funny is likeable [sic], when he isnt its still likeable[sic].

Thanks for translating, phatcartman655. :)

So, you like Fatass even when he's an asshole--which is all the time--and you like him when he's not doing
anything but standing around picking his butt.

Here's a scenario: Fatass waddles up your driveway and he asks to stay for a week. You'd let him and offer your bedroom for him to sleep in. By the second day, all of the food is eaten up and his massive ass takes over your living room couch while he squeals that he wants more chocolate chicken pot pies. He spends the days watching TV and the nights waddling around the streets with the money he stole from your wallet and he'll use it to buy the jumbo-sized bag of cinnamon pork rinds. He also calls you a lazy whore because you're too tired to run up to the bathroom to wipe his butt after he's done making bears for the sixth time that day. By then end of the week, you have no food, no money, no clean towels, your bedroom smells of farts and chin cheese, your mattress has a huge sag that's a deep as your forearm, and Fatass flails his pasterns around while he squeals about how big of an assh*le you are for running out of food.

Would you still extol how likable he was or would you want to smash his bloated head with a tire iron?
swellman7

Postby swellman7 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:23 pm

Cartman's Top Enemy wrote:So, you like Fatass even when he's an assh*le--which is all the time--and you like him when he's not doing

Here's a scenario: Fatass waddles up your driveway and he asks to stay for a week. You'd let him and offer your bedroom for him to sleep in. By the second day, all of the food is eaten up and his massive ass takes over your living room couch while he squeals that he wants more chocolate chicken pot pies. He spends the days watching TV and the nights waddling around the streets with the money he stole from your wallet and he'll use it to buy the jumbo-sized bag of cinnamon pork rinds. He also calls you a lazy whore because you're too tired to run up to the bathroom to wipe his butt after he's done making bears for the sixth time that day. By then end of the week, you have no food, no money, no clean towels, your bedroom smells of farts and chin cheese, your mattress has a huge sag that's a deep as your forearm, and Fatass flails his pasterns around while he squeals about how big of an assh*le you are for running out of food.

Would you still extol how likable he was or would you want to smash his bloated head with a tire iron?

That's hilarious. You're treating Cartman like he's a real person or something. People like him because he's funny, not because they think he would make a good friend.
S-O-U-T-H-P-A-R-K

Postby S-O-U-T-H-P-A-R-K » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:05 am

phatcartman655 wrote:
S-O-U-T-H-P-A-R-K wrote:
S-O-U-T-H-P-A-R-K wrote: when he isnt funny he is likeable[sic]

How?

but when cartman is funny is likeable [sic], when he isnt its still likeable[sic].

Thanks for translating, phatcartman655. :)

So, you like Fatass even when he's an assh*le--which is all the time--and you like him when he's not doing

haha u no thats funny, it was never prooven that he has done all of that, he still is likeable.
Cartman's Top Enemy

Postby Cartman's Top Enemy » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:23 am

swellman7 wrote:That's hilarious. You're treating Cartman like he's a real person or something.

How?

swellman7 wrote:People like him because he's funny, not because they think he would make a good friend.

No, I'm giving a scenario to make a point to S-O-U-T-H-P-A-R-K and phatcartman655 that Fatass is not a likeable character. They seem to find him

S-O-U-T-H-P-A-R-K wrote:haha u no thats funny, it was never prooven [sic] that he has done all of that, he still is likeable [sic].

Note to BigWill: we need an icon of Stan with his head down pinching his nose bridge.

I don't even know where to begin with this reply: the fact that you find Fatass completely likable or the fact that you don't know what a scenario is. I won't even pursue the piss-poor grammar issue, so you have a reprieve.

Reread what I sent you and then go google the word "scenario".
Edduyasha

Postby Edduyasha » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:50 pm

Well...here's my two cents concerning Cartman...

He's undeniably a major character, behind many of the episode plot lines and conflicts. Without his eccentricities and offensiveness, South Park would be a radically different show. I know, while it's not up to me to decide whether you like him or not, we can't deny the fact that he's a driving force behind many episodes and a good antagonist to Kyle/Stan being a protagonist. Without him, where would the other boys be in terms of an opposite force? Point being, whether you like him or not, he is quite an important part to the show itself.

As for me, I don't particularly love Cartman's personality, but I can relate to him a lot. I think he's funny, but all the while, he's ignorant and hot-headed. Heck, sometimes, I think his spirit has channeled into my own. We're both ill-tempered, fat (somewhat for me, I'm only fat in my belly), sometimes ignorant, foul-mouthed, scheming against people who piss us off, musically talented (somewhat), and Photoshop-whores (see "Cartman Sucks" to get what I meant by that). I think...there's a bit of Cartman buried in all of us, whether it be the foul-temper, selfishness, body-type, whatever... It's like the "Seven Deadly Sins"; we have at least one thing in common, even if you refuse to realize it.

Oh, and Cartman makes for a very cute and cuddly plushie-pillow thing...

:wink:
Goodbye, cruel world...
I'm leaving you today
Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye...

Goodbye, all you people
There's nothing you can say
To make me change my mind...
Goodbye...

- Pink Floyd (The Wall, 1979)
swellman7

Postby swellman7 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:38 pm

swellman7 wrote:That's hilarious. You're treating Cartman like he's a real person or something.

How?

This?

Using real life examples to explain why you don't like a fictional character seems kind of silly, doesn't it?

swellman7 wrote:People like him because he's funny, not because they think he would make a good friend.

No, I'm giving a scenario to make a point to S-O-U-T-H-P-A-R-K and phatcartman655 that Fatass is not a likeable character. They seem to find him

Again, people like him because they think he's funny. Not because they think they would get along with him in real life.
CartmansCuzzin

Postby CartmansCuzzin » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:34 pm

swellman7 wrote:

How?

This?

Using real life examples to explain why you don't like a fictional character seems kind of silly, doesn't it?

Again, people like him because they think he's funny. Not because they think they would get along with him in real life.

^^Agreed. His girlfriend must behave that way so he takes his frustrations out on a cartoon character...

Return to “Character Discussion”