The Official Cartman Discussion Thread

Discuss South Park characters with all your friends, buddies and guys.

Moderator: Big-Will

Cartman_91

Postby Cartman_91 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:10 am

You either hate him or love him and judging by CTP's name I think it's pretty safe to say he's not abig fan of Cartman and his userbar gives it away to. If you love him you can name a million reasons why you love him and if you hate him you can name a million reasons why you hate him.
Rebecca_Cutswald

Postby Rebecca_Cutswald » Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:51 am

Oneirogenic wrote:
Rooster_Costume wrote:[...] and he takes up the most major role because he opposes Matt and Trey's view on the subject (most of the time).

I can't help but think Cartman works as a voice for Trey a lot of the time. : p

I think they once said that when they began the show they thought of Kyle and Stan as sort of their alter-egos, but later realized they were more like Cartman. XDD Take that how you will.
Kyle Loves Me// Albino.black.sheep is my accountabilabuddy! *tackle hugs*
MCkormick2

Postby MCkormick2 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:56 am

To quote the bible:

If you are true to your family, what good are you? Even sinners are good to their families.

I do believe Cartman is completely self-centered, as many young children are, as I remerber, I was. When I was like 4 or 5, my brother colored one page of a colouring book I had. I don't know why, I became furious and didn't want to colour it anymore. This sounds a lot like Cartman. Sure, he spared his mommy's life, but, even thinking aboot killing her was incredibly wrong. O the other hand, I thought aboot killing my brother, so...

Forcing Scott Tennorman to eat his parents was more than shock value. It was part of his plan to get back at him, and, frankly, I wouldn't blame him for having the guts. After all, Scott was a bully, who robbed Cartman of his money (when you're as young as him, fifty bucks is like a fortune, right?) adn humiliated him. It could even be seen as a sex crime - think aboot it, if Cartman was a girl, the plot would be "Teenager gives his pubic hair to nine-year old girl". That doesn't look to good. If I was Cartma, I'd probably try to hit Scott in a moment of rage, get beaten, and carry this humiliation with me the rest of my life. But, I'd try to make him suffer, just as Cartman did. Cartman just has a lot more talent¹.

I think Cartman's hatred of Kyle comes before his hatred of Jews. In "Here comes the neighboorhood", Stan mentions everyone gets picked on for some reason. Cartman for being fat, Kenny for being poor, Kyle for being jewish. As Cartman hates Kyle, and he is the only Jewish person he knows, being in the only family in town who follows that faith, his behavior started to develop towards a hatred for all jews, as he got older. It sounds a bit far-fetched, but it could be understood as "Bin Laden complex" - Bin Laden hates westerns based on his limited experience with westerns in his youth.

I don't think Cartman is jealous of Kyle, this may be because of me being fed up with jealousy being pointed as a reason for hatred (as it was described by Sigmund Freud, in a sexist and outdated theory). Cartman seems very happy with his life, and, if anything, Kyle (and the person he sees as an attatchment to Kyle's personality, Kyles mom) is always there to ruind his selfish, overbearing fun.

In many ways, I'm just like Kyle, ruining my friends fun, forbidding them to do whatever they want. Sure, I have my own selfish reasons, but that only ensues their hatred of me. Cartman is selfish. But isn't Kyle also selfish? Isn't Stan? Don't they give gay little speeches defendind only what THEY believe is right? Cartman may believe wrong things most of the time, but, in my opinion, he is no more selfish then Kyle, Stan, me, you, and Dalai Lama.
¹ Of course, this may mean I'm just as evil and psychopatic as Cartman. But, anyone here who's ever been bullied can say they didn't want to see their bullies humiliated? If not, I wouldn't know if I should applause you or pity you.
This is not a sig.
fattass12

Postby fattass12 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:51 am

cartman is definetly more selfish and defiant. casa bonita he wouldnt stop till he got his way. stan and kyle are in no way as self centered as cartman
Cartman_91

Postby Cartman_91 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:15 pm

Are people actually discussing if Cartman is selfish? :lol:

I don't know how to spell Selfish better then Cartman. (Besides the original spelling for the smartasses:P)

He wants everything for himself and if someone else gets it it has no meaning to him. He thinks the world revolves around him and looks out for number one.
fattass12

Postby fattass12 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:42 pm

cartman cares about 1 person only, himself. name one episode cartmans nice that dosent have a motive other than to please himself
Rooster_Costume

Postby Rooster_Costume » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:38 pm

MCkormick2 wrote:I do believe Cartman is completely self-centered, as many young children are, as I remerber, I was. When I was like 4 or 5, my brother colored one page of a colouring book I had. I don't know why, I became furious and didn't want to colour it anymore. This sounds a lot like Cartman. Sure, he spared his mommy's life, but, even thinking aboot killing her was incredibly wrong. O the other hand, I thought aboot killing my brother, so...

I think Cartman is way more self-centered than most kids because of his mother. She doesn't teach him to share like most parents do. Kids would be incredible assh*les if it wasn't for their parents, and Cartman is exactly what kids would be like if their parents let them take advantage of them. He's fat because he sits on his ass all day and doesn't do anything, and he's an assh*le because his mom hasn't taught him otherwise.

Cartman's plot to kill his mother was worse than what most of us have thought when someone does something that really pisses us off. He actually prepared something he would do, and he nearly went through with it. When he stopped what he was doing, it was good, but he had the knife in the air ready to strike. That's far worse than what most of us have done.
MCkormick2 wrote:Forcing Scott Tennorman to eat his parents was more than shock value. It was part of his plan to get back at him, and, frankly, I wouldn't blame him for having the guts. After all, Scott was a bully, who robbed Cartman of his money (when you're as young as him, fifty bucks is like a fortune, right?) adn humiliated him.

It was actually $16.12, but I still see where you're coming from. Everyone is tempted to get revenge at someone, and once you go as far as plotting ways to kill someone, you've gone too far. He went way beyond that by actually carrying out his plot. $16.12 isn't worth trying to embarrass him like that, and when he saw him crying, he wasn't even harmed at all. He was happy to see Scott so down. Cartman never regreted that at all. I don't think he could ever care the slightest about someone he didn't like whatsoever.
MCkormick2 wrote:If I was Cartma, I'd probably try to hit Scott in a moment of rage, get beaten, and carry this humiliation with me the rest of my life. But, I'd try to make him suffer, just as Cartman did. Cartman just has a lot more talent¹.

Cartman kept so much poise in that situation. I probably would have done the same: Tried to beat the sh*t out of Tennorman. What he did is much worse than that. A scheme is much worse than taking your rage out right away. Cartman kept his poise, and his intelligence in creating evil schemes was increased immensely in that episode. He became the character he is now.
MCkormick2 wrote:I think Cartman's hatred of Kyle comes before his hatred of Jews. In "Here comes the neighboorhood", Stan mentions everyone gets picked on for some reason. Cartman for being fat, Kenny for being poor, Kyle for being jewish. As Cartman hates Kyle, and he is the only Jewish person he knows, being in the only family in town who follows that faith, his behavior started to develop towards a hatred for all jews, as he got older. It sounds a bit far-fetched, but it could be understood as "Bin Laden complex" - Bin Laden hates westerns based on his limited experience with westerns in his youth.

I totally agree. Kyle is the root of why he hates Jews. He hates Kyle and his bitch mom, so he hates Jews because he thinks they ruin all of his fun.
PM me for my AIM SN. Lurkers are a bitch.
Oneirogenic

Postby Oneirogenic » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:02 pm

XD *enjoying reading this discussion immensely*

Anyone who doesn't think Liane is the primary reason why he is how he is, totally doesn't understand how childhood forms a person :[ Matt and Trey were right in that society molds a child to be good. Granted, society can also f*ck up a kid royally, but without the forces of others on us when we are kids, our behavior would probably become pretty sociopathic.

Grah. I still find myself (against ALL odds) wishing that we could see some sort of small change in Cartman since TSST.
*Towlie*

Postby *Towlie* » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:28 pm

Hes a fat ace crackhead
fattass12

Postby fattass12 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:47 pm

*Towlie* wrote:Hes a fat ace crackhead

any reason you think hes a fat ace crackehead?
Cartman_91

Postby Cartman_91 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:52 pm

*Towlie* wrote:Hes a fat ace crackhead

Hypocrite.
professor_butters1

Postby professor_butters1 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:35 pm

Oneirogenic wrote:XD *enjoying reading this discussion immensely*

Anyone who doesn't think Liane is the primary reason why he is how he is, totally doesn't understand how childhood forms a person :[ Matt and Trey were right in that society molds a child to be good. Granted, society can also f*ck up a kid royally, but without the forces of others on us when we are kids, our behavior would probably become pretty sociopathic.

Grah. I still find myself (against ALL odds) wishing that we could see some sort of small change in Cartman since TSST.

Sadly, I think we have. "Mehmmm . . . we need more hot pockets." "Mehhhhm. . . .bathroom." His mom is actually *making up to him* for the way she treated him in Tssst! and is stooping to levels of spoilage previously unthinkable. Short-term, that's where we are. Long-term, though, he's had a taste of what it felt like to be a reasonably well-balanced kid. Too bad for him, but as a character, leaves more opportunities for fun for us.
Kyle the Skeptic

Postby Kyle the Skeptic » Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:44 pm

Going back to something that was said in the previous Cartman thread (or maybe it was the Kyle thread) there was something else noteworthy about Cartman's role in this episode. Specifically, this was one of those rare occasions where he and Kyle were on the same page. They had a few words at the beginning, but it never turned into a major fight the way it usually does, and for the rest of the episode they were working as a team. It's like I said, in order to get the two to cooperate, they'd have to be in a situation where they have no choice but to work together to overcome a powerful obstacle. Cartman even stopped to help Kyle when he had a problem with his carpal tunnel. Granted that foremost in Cartman's mind was his obsession with winning, but apparently setting aside his rivalry is a cost he's willing to pay in order to win.

The bad thing about it though is that by the end of 1008, Cartman seems to have spread his Cartman-itis to the rest of the boys. :lol:
Jello_Biafra

Postby Jello_Biafra » Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:58 pm

Why did Cartman want to help Chef from the Super Adventure Club? What gain does Cartman have? Just wondering.
"Six words Lisa, 'I'm not gay, but I'll learn.'" Homer Simpson

"How do you speak my language?" Adam West

"This job would be great if it weren't for the f*cking customers." Randall; Clerks
professor_butters1

Postby professor_butters1 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:53 pm

Jello_Biafra wrote:Why did Cartman want to help Chef from the Super Adventure Club? What gain does Cartman have? Just wondering.

Weight gain 4000. Serioushleh.

No, I think that he genuinely likes Chef, but remember, Chef is the great source of Salibury Steak. I think his freaking out was supposed to be a case of the kid who is obsessed with food watching one of his favorite food sources, um, people, getting obliterated. Just my opinion.

~~Professor Butters

Return to “Character Discussion”