The Official Stan Discussion Thread

Discuss South Park characters with all your friends, buddies and guys.

Moderator: Big-Will

vexille

Postby vexille » Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:30 pm

Oneirogenic wrote:
vexille wrote:I wouldn't say Stan was passive, given the way he was screaming at them scientologists in "Trapped in the Closet". And he really let Al Gore have it in "Manbearpig" when he called a loser and an assh*le after he endangered Stan, Kyle, Kenny and Cartman's lives in order to alert people about his fantasies. Calm-mannered yes, passive no.

Mmm. I guess you're right. It's rare that he actually flies off the handle though, or really shows anger toward very much, compared to the other boys. XD I guess compared to Kyle and Cartman, he's rather passive.

He's definately pretty tolerant, at the very least. :3

Perhaps the word you're looking for is placid. Just because he usually refrains from picking sides between Kyle and Cartman, doesn't mean he's intimidated. Besides, Cartman and Kyle are quite capable of handling each other.
Calix Meus Enebriens "My Cup Makes Me Drunk"
Oneirogenic

Postby Oneirogenic » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:00 am

vexille wrote:Perhaps the word you're looking for is placid. Just because he usually refrains from picking sides between Kyle and Cartman, doesn't mean he's intimidated. Besides, Cartman and Kyle are quite capable of handling each other.

No, not intimidated. :d Maybe placid is what I'm looking for, though I'm not just trying to say that he's calm. It's a different kind of calm.

And Cartman and Kyle are definately able to handle eachother, and again, I can't see him as intimidated. Stan himself seems the sort who refuses to be intimidated when his will counts.

He seems to be rather balanced, or in a state of trying to achieve balance in his life. :[ Part of me wants to drag Astrology into this (Stan *is* a Libra), but I don't wanna sound like a New-Agetard.
andrewgibson

Postby andrewgibson » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:07 am

Yes, quite.
Stovepipe_Jam

Postby Stovepipe_Jam » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:09 am

andrewgibson wrote:Yes, quite.

I agree. :wink:
Oneirogenic

Postby Oneirogenic » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:23 am

D: am I being mocked?

*frownface*
Kyle the Skeptic

Postby Kyle the Skeptic » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:23 am

Kyle's_Marklar wrote:
Stovepipe_Jam wrote:Intelligence scale....

Stan Fans
Kyle Fans
Fatass Fans
Kenny Fans
Mr. Derp Fans :P

Bad joke.

Anyway there are a lot of very smart/stupid posters from all the different fandoms, but this is just my general opinion.

I agree. People who like Cartman are easily pursuaded by the smallest jokes so no wonder they are so... "smart." I don't know what would attract people to Kenny. He doesn't even talk. And the fans who like Kyle only because they hate Cartman, well how smart can they be if they hate a cartoon character. (no offense S_J, I know you hate him too.) :P

The problem isn't so much that Kenny fans in general are stupid. The problem is that the stupid ones tend to drown out the rest of us by being more vocal and obsessive. I can think of several other Kenny fans who would in no way qualify as unintelligent.

As for why I like him, well I've already explained why. Given that he is the most unused and undeveloped of the 4 boys, he has the most unexploited potential out of any of them. In a way Kenny is the most mysterious character, and what is already known about him sets him apart from the other boys. You could take him in literally any direction and it would work.

Back to Stan - I think he has always had that proactive assertive personality in some shape or form. He had a great role in Cherokee Hair Tampons, for example, and he was not afraid to say what was on his mind even though Sharon scolded him for it. It's a good trait for a leader to have, and at times it helps him hold the group together.
Oneirogenic

Postby Oneirogenic » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:22 am

D: I like Kenny, if not for the fact that you can take his personality in any direction you want to. What characterization (aside from just random pottymouth interjections) he's gotten has been rather sweet and compassionate. I'm confused and annoyed by the bulk of his fans though :[ which is sad.

Stan is DEFINATELY the leader, and he's a good one at that. He's very personable and social, and does a good job of keeping the group together. And it's obvious that once he goes into Activist Mode, he's going to keep going until he does what he needs to do.
Kyle's_Marklar

Postby Kyle's_Marklar » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:41 am

^ See, I like Kenny. Before going on the BBS, he was my second favorite character but after a while I said to myself, "Why does he have so many damn fans... he doesn't even talk. Screw Kenny!" He's still pretty cool but I haven't seen any Kenny Haters... so I want to be the first. :P

Anyway, Stan... I've noticed that he hasn't been used as much as before. Stan hasn't really felt strongly about anything in the newer seasons. It's usually Cartman who has some retarted plan that they go through... Then there are times when Kyle goes through something that he needs help from the others for like in "Free Willzyx" and "Christmas in Canada" just to name a few. Then there are episodes when Cartman and Kyle fight. They've started using Kyle and Cartman more than Stan. Stan is still the leader of the group but he's just being used less and less.
Remember... the more posts you have, the bigger your penis is!
bugzbunnie6

Postby bugzbunnie6 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:25 am

Stan has been used a bit this season, if you ask me. His roles weren't big, but they were there. For example, Stan had an okay role trying to get Kyle back in Smug Alert!, as well as his little plot with Al Gore in Manbearpig.

However, it would be good to see him with a few more roles, like he used to have earlier on in the series. Stan's got a lot of potential as a character. In fact, he should have a few more roles that reinforce him as the leader of the group. :P
I *Heart* You.
Oneirogenic

Postby Oneirogenic » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:54 pm

bugzbunnie6 wrote:However, it would be good to see him with a few more roles, like he used to have earlier on in the series. Stan's got a lot of potential as a character. In fact, he should have a few more roles that reinforce him as the leader of the group. :P

I agree! I miss his role as the leader. Maybe that's why I pegged him as becoming more passive? There's definately been a lack of Leader!Stan scenarios lately. XD We've really only seen him exploding after getting pissed enough, or being an activist where, of course, Kyle's gonna follow him.
crazyQH

Postby crazyQH » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:59 pm

Like I think I have said before, the show seems to go through phases where either Stan or Kyle are used more as the leader or main subject int he episode. The good thing is, even when either of them are not the main focus they still each have a sufficiant role, or somesort of a role, unlike Kenny who is neglected as a character.

I like Stan as a leader, he seems to fit the part really well. I always love to see Stan's Dad teach Stan about life or something, it's cute. ^_^
StaniaMarsh

Postby StaniaMarsh » Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:07 am

Yeah, everybody can learn something of Stan and his family.
Masa860

Meaningless?? it's already meaningfull

Postby Masa860 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:29 am

I've been thinking that Stan is the most important person in the group because if he were not around, Kyle, Cartman, and Kenny wouldn't hang out; however, Stan is likely "sub" because of the craziest kid Eric Cartman.

Well, I guess he needs more advanture.
Oneirogenic

Postby Oneirogenic » Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:27 pm

crazyQH wrote:Like I think I have said before, the show seems to go through phases where either Stan or Kyle are used more as the leader or main subject int he episode. The good thing is, even when either of them are not the main focus they still each have a sufficiant role, or somesort of a role, unlike Kenny who is neglected as a character.

I like Stan as a leader, he seems to fit the part really well. I always love to see Stan's Dad teach Stan about life or something, it's cute. ^_^

XD Yes~ Stan's "I learned something today" speeches are my favorite. I was totally psyched when I found a shirt at Target with him saying that. Kekeke.

Stan makes a better leader than Kyle, I think :d if only because he tends to be calmer and less biased. <3
crazyQH

Postby crazyQH » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:22 pm

Yes, although Kyle seems to have had more roles lately as leader, I still think Stan is the more realistic leader because he is the calm logical one. Not that I don't like Kyle as leader, but he has a tendency to "spaz out" more, espeacailly at Cartman, where as Stan can keep his cool.

Return to “Character Discussion”