The Official Stan Discussion Thread

Discuss South Park characters with all your friends, buddies and guys.

Moderator: Big-Will

Aimsireil

Postby Aimsireil » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:29 am

Iceiwynd, I don't think you have to go to that kind of medical school to become a psychologist... Those fields aren't really related. You would probably have to go to a psychological institute or something.

And that's another good topic... Stan's barfing. This used to be one of the funniest things on the show... especially when something incredibly bloody and disgusting was going on around the boys, like in the movie and in "Pinkeye", and nobody says anything about this, but when Stan barfs, everybody goes "Eww!" and "That's sick!". Anyhow, why does Stan have such a weak stomach? Is it because he has asthma? The barfing and the asthma haven't even been mentioned on the show for about 7 years, so I dunno...
-----
crazyQH

Postby crazyQH » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:39 am

Ha, speaking of his barfing, my mom told me that on trivia night they asked the question, "Which character on South Park barfs every time he talks to Wendy?" And she got it right. XD

But yeah, quite a few older elements of the show, such as Stan's barfing, have been cut out of the show recently.
iceiwynd

Postby iceiwynd » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:42 am

The most recent time I can think of is in Butt Out, when the kids are trying to stop coughing in front of Mr. Mackey - Stan just explodes. He then tries to wipe all of the phlegm off of him, and... That's just one of the greatest things I've ever seen. I kept cracking up at that part. XD I'm with you guys, I wish there were more.
Infusions

Postby Infusions » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:47 am

Matt and Trey probably don't overusing gags like that all the time. When the show first started, the first few seasons had lots and lots of running gags. And now, they stopped most of them, which actually if you think about it, is really good.

Because now, everytime you DO see that one gag used after like, four or so years, you laugh harder then ever before.

Which is alot better then constantly using it and then it grows stale and people complain about it.
What's the difference between a 7-11 and a smurf?

A 7-11 is a 24-hour convenience store and a smurf is a small blue fictional cartoon character.
Aimsireil

Postby Aimsireil » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:53 am

^^Yeah, that thing was awesome, even though I didn't even realize it was intended to be the barfing gag until you just mentioned it... after all, it looked pretty different from his normal barfing. Whatever. That's just me missing the obvious.

^I thought about it, and I can't see what's that good about it, actually. All the gags have been taken out of the show except for the Cartman-Kyle-Hatred gag (or close enough to a gag), which has been incredibly overused due to that. Also, some running gags added to character developement, which was good for the show.

If gags were only used once every four years, that would suck. The show has only been on the air for 10 years, with gags every four years, that would only make each gag used like twice.

When did people complain about the gags? I don't remember that ever happening.
Last edited by Aimsireil on Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
-----
Infusions

Postby Infusions » Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:13 am

Aimsireil wrote:When did people complain about the gags? I don't remember that ever happening.

Kenny's death ring a bell? :0

And alot of people seem to think that "Respect my authoritah!" and "Screw you guys, I'm going home." is the only thing Cartman ever says in life.

I mean, half of the fan fics I read on the internet consist of Cartman saying that either everytime at the very first scene, or once every two chapters.

I wouldn't really consider that a "complaint", but more of an annoyence. It's like, becoming another Doom Song. [People who watch ZIM will understand that comparison.]
What's the difference between a 7-11 and a smurf?

A 7-11 is a 24-hour convenience store and a smurf is a small blue fictional cartoon character.
Aimsireil

Postby Aimsireil » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:16 am

^Did people actually complain about the deaths? I didn't watch the show back then.

And that's not true, only really crappy fan fic authors waste all their time on old catchphrases (which are different than gags? I'm not even sure anymore). Catchphrases should not be overused, unless they are plot-relevant.

Is that a reference to the pilot Zim episode? I'm not sure what that's about.
-----
Unhooded Kenny

Postby Unhooded Kenny » Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:35 am

I don't know if any of you remember SCTV. There was a parody of a fifties singing group called 5 Neat Guys and one of their songs was "Let's Double Date with Stan and Wendy." Is this a coincidence?
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:43 pm

As much as the gag discussion is enthralling, keep it Stan related.

As for Stan and his job in the future:
There are a wide variety of options. Could he be a doctor? Some would say he has a weak stomach, but so did I when I was nine. Now, I've seen people get f*cked up royally and have yet to yawn. He also seems like the type of kid who would actively enjoy helping people.

ARMY? Maybe. Stan is a patriot and, if his country called loud enough and with reason, he would most surely heed it. Also, while many believe Stan is too sensitive and nice and therefore not a good killing machine, I beg to differ. He can be extremely violent I think, and, when put into an arena in which that skill can be harnessed, he could excel. It would also give him the chance to be a medic who, in the direst of circumstances, is able to show the greatest of human qualities.

There are many, many options for Stan. Much can be dictated depending on circumstances during his teenage life and the start of his adult life.
That's how it's down here on the farm!
CartmansCuzzin

Postby CartmansCuzzin » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:27 pm

Future Careers...

STAN--NFL QUARTERBACK

KYLE--REAL ESTATE AGENT

ERIC--FAST FOOD MANAGER

KENNY--UNEMPLOYED

BUTTERS--THERAPIST
kacy__sp

Postby kacy__sp » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:51 pm

ShaneHaughey's right, Stan has many options when it comes to his future career. I could see him being a singer/songwriter, since he's done that a few times. He's good at football/hockey/etc., so he could become an athlete. He likes animals, gays, and is religiously tolerant, so maybe he'd become a pot smoking hippy :D (joke)
His patriotism could lead him to be a soldier, his social awareness a political leader. (though Kyle's more likely to take this route, Stan's less inclined to take sides.) He could even be a doctor, based on his willingness to help people, but his weak stomach makes it unlikely. For the same reason he might go into psychology, but he's more an action oriented than a -let's sit down and talk it through- kind of person, so I doubt it.
In short, his character's flexible enough that he could go pretty much anywhere; a lot depends (as has been said) on what happens as he grows up. I think he'd make a good cop, though.
ImageImageImage
CruciFACTION

Postby CruciFACTION » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:53 am

Changing the subject, I just heard "Carry on My Wayward son" by Kansas on the radio, and I've always thought that if stan had theme song, that would be it.

Kyle's would be "Sweet Child O' Mine" by Guns 'N' Roses.
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:08 am

Hmm, I dunno if Wayward fits him. Wayward is, if you listen very closely, in many ways a death bed-esque song of hope. Stan is more of a hope now type kid.
That's how it's down here on the farm!
CruciFACTION

Postby CruciFACTION » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:20 am

ShaneHaughey wrote:Hmm, I dunno if Wayward fits him. Wayward is, if you listen very closely, in many ways a death bed-esque song of hope. Stan is more of a hope now type kid.

I won't argue, songs by there very nature are open to interpertation. Any way, for kenny the obvious choice would be don't fear the reaper, but I have another song for him, The theme song to the movie The Warriors, If you heard it you would understand. :wink:
kfgg

Postby kfgg » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:52 am

CruciFACTION wrote:Changing the subject, I just heard "Carry on My Wayward son" by Kansas on the radio.

Around here they always play that on 97.3 The Brew, 96.9 The Drive, 102.9 The Hog, 97.9 The Loop, 104.3 Jack FM, 92.7 Nine FM, and 96.5 WKLH, and when I go to Wausau Big Cheese 107.9, 94.7 The Valley, 103.3 WGLX, 97.9 Jack FM

After hearing it a million times on these stations I never thought of Stan when listening to it until now.
Stan and Kyle :)

Return to “Character Discussion”