Is Cartman GAY?

Discuss South Park characters with all your friends, buddies and guys.

Moderator: Big-Will

Oneirogenic

Postby Oneirogenic » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:44 pm

Kyle the Skeptic wrote:Remember that in season 3 Cartman said that he hated Kenny the most. He said it during SP:BLU and again in "Jakovasaurus". Later on we find out a little bit more about their relationship, as mentioned above. Sound familiar? Outwardly he claimed to hate Kenny, but inwardly there was a lot more to it than that.

XD I don't think there's much canon evidence, but it makes it easier to slash them in fanfiction. I don't think there's anything stronger than friendship between them in the show, since, well, their relationship's always been rather quiet thanks to Kenny's lack of dialogue. I really dislike that M+T's laziness regarding consistancy had to extend to their friendship as well.

Now consider that in recent seasons Cartman has been giving Kyle the hardest time, says that he hates Kyle the most, devotes the most attention to Kyle, and constantly fights with him. I'm not trying to imply anything, but let's just say that if the Kenny connection is true then it's not a far stretch to think that his behavior towards Kyle may follow the same pattern.

Oh, it's easy to make that stretch, except for the fact that he shows NO affection toward Kyle whatsoever. With Kenny, he's always shown a strange affection toward him: getting visually upset when he dies a few times, dragging him around, smacking the rats away from him in Chinpokomon, crying and going on a crusade to cure him in Kenny Dies (which I am CONVINCED was not for the pizza >: | )

He's obviously infatuated with Kyle, though. See Smug Alert. He can't live without him. But for what reason? Does he harbor secret feelings for him? Does he thrive on the attention, however negative, he gets from him? Or , like I've stated before, does he want him miserable because he's jealous of him?

I can't help but think all evidence points to the jealousy, and the object of his envy being Stan's friendship/affections. He does obviously like the attention though. XD If it's one thing Cartman likes, it's attention. Positive *or* negative.
Kyle the Skeptic

Postby Kyle the Skeptic » Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:59 am

Don't forget though. Kyle and Cartman have saved each others' lives in season 10 so far, when in both situations one could have easily left the other for dead.

Again I don't literally agree with the extrapolated conclusion, but for the sake of argument... :roll:
Oneirogenic

Postby Oneirogenic » Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:36 pm

Kyle the Skeptic wrote:Don't forget though. Kyle and Cartman have saved each others' lives in season 10 so far, when in both situations one could have easily left the other for dead.

:0 Yes, but Kyle seems to have an innability to do the wrong thing. He's kind of confusing like that. One minute he'll be supercompassionate and the next he'll be oblivious or apathetic. Especially towards Cartman. I dunno. I don't think he could live with himself if he let another human being die when he could have saved them. He has way too guilty a conscience.

Cartman on the other hand, seemed to do it for selfish reasons. He's infatuated with Kyle, and can't seem to live without his attention. >o> Plus, Stan was doing nothing but being a pussy over it, which is enough to drive Cartman up the wall. He needed Kyle back to restore the equilibrium of his life.

If I'm proven wrong in the upcoming episodes, then that would be a VERY interesting outcome. The Cartman and Kyle dynamic has been even stronger lately, which makes me wonder what's going on inside Trey's head.
nyosef

Cartman...

Postby nyosef » Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:36 pm

Cartman is NOT GAY... Cartman is the best thing that ever happend to south park.. Whoever started this topic IS GAY. South park wouldnt be intresting without cartman.. now really is it fun watching.. kyle and stan and kenny walking around not doing anything.. really the only intresting episodes are with cartman you guys have to agree. NO CARTMAN= NO SOUTH PARK AND I QUOTE !!! HAIL CARTMAN !!!
iceiwynd

Postby iceiwynd » Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:47 pm

^ How the hell would Cartman being gay = Cartman not on the show? That just doesn't make any sense to begin with. And besides, in your whole off-topic ramble, Cartman does NOT make the show. He makes PART of the show. He needs contrast and for others to balance against his extreme cruelty. And besides, there have been other episodes without any Cartman at all that have been awesome: Not Without My Anus, for example.

... Hail Cartman? Oh my.

Oneirogenic wrote:crying and going on a crusade to cure him in Kenny Dies (which I am CONVINCED was not for the pizza >: |

Well, there's at least ONE point when it was evident that he had to care about him. When he and Kyle were hugging in the hall way Cartman didn't even know he could make a Shaky's.
Oneirogenic

Postby Oneirogenic » Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:16 pm

iceiwynd wrote:Well, there's at least ONE point when it was evident that he had to care about him. When he and Kyle were hugging in the hall way Cartman didn't even know he could make a Shaky's.

Exactly. Cartman wouldn't cry in front of Kyle unless he was manipulating him somehow. Which he wasn't. :[ Unless he was REALLY distraught, he wouldn't have shown weakness. He obviously cared about Kenny enough to be moved by his death (:0 not the first time this has happened, either.)

And wtf, nyosef. D: I have no idea what you tried to say.
Kyle the Skeptic

Postby Kyle the Skeptic » Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:20 am

I think that the sadness Cartman felt over Kenny was genuine. I also think that his self-serving greed, which manifested itself at the end, was also real. Both are part of his personality after all. The same goes for Kyle: he's the most conscientious of the boys, but he also has the most explosive temper and didn't hesitate to pound Cartman's face in when he found out what Cartman did with the stem cells.

Cartman is the kind of character who would rather come across as a selfish ass just to save face, than to admit that he actually cares about another human being. After all when he saved Kyle (and his family) in "Smug Alert" he signed for Butters not to say a word about it. For him a mutually antagonistic relationship with Kyle was better than no relationship at all.
man eat worms

No

Postby man eat worms » Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:32 pm

He is not gay he kicks ass!! no stoping cartman :!: :!: :!:

eric carttman is the most out of control child in the world!! but he is still #1
cartman8213

Re: No

Postby cartman8213 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:35 pm

man eat worms wrote:He is not gay he kicks ass!! no stoping cartman :!: :!: :!:

Yeah! You can't stop Cartman when he's rolling down a hill.
Officially blending in with all the Cartman fans.
Thanks b489 and KTS for sig
Oneirogenic

Postby Oneirogenic » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:38 pm

Kyle the Skeptic wrote:I think that the sadness Cartman felt over Kenny was genuine. I also think that his self-serving greed, which manifested itself at the end, was also real. Both are part of his personality after all. The same goes for Kyle: he's the most conscientious of the boys, but he also has the most explosive temper and didn't hesitate to pound Cartman's face in when he found out what Cartman did with the stem cells.

It's definately in character. It can be easily said that the fact that he wanted to save Kenny is selfish as well. He doesn't want his friend to die, because it'll hurt him. I don't think Cartman honestly has the capacity to saccrifice himself for the sake of another, unless it will do something for him.

And Kyle is a VERY compassionate person. If it's human and in pain, he'll step up and help. He's probably the most moral out of all of them and has a VERY guilty conscience to enforce his moral behavior. He may hate Cartman (because Cartman basically symbolizes all the things he himself hates), but in the end, he'll save him because that's just who Kyle is.
stan cartman

Postby stan cartman » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:22 pm

cartman is definitely gay he had a antonio banderas love doll!!!!

do you want anymore proof
Cartman's Top Enemy

Postby Cartman's Top Enemy » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:02 am

Kyle the Skeptic wrote:I think that the sadness Cartman felt over Kenny was genuine. I also think that his self-serving greed, which manifested itself at the end, was also real. Both are part of his personality after all. The same goes for Kyle: he's the most conscientious of the boys, but he also has the most explosive temper and didn't hesitate to pound Cartman's face in when he found out what Cartman did with the stem cells.

Cartman is the kind of character who would rather come across as a selfish ass just to save face, than to admit that he actually cares about another human being. After all when he saved Kyle (and his family) in "Smug Alert" he signed for Butters not to say a word about it. For him a mutually antagonistic relationship with Kyle was better than no relationship at all.

I don't think his sadness for Kenny was genuine, unlesss he was upset that he had one less person to make fun of. Thundercheeks is nothing but a massive dollop of pure id--any feeling he has that is not self-serving is foreign to him, as we saw in "How to Eat with Your Butt."
His attack, his goading and his quick departure from the discussion...clearly demonstrates that [Mr.Hat_DX27], like Stovepipe_Jam, Killahertz9, TheTowlieConnection and others before him, has no integrity.
KyleBroflovski99

Postby KyleBroflovski99 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:46 am

Nah, I think it's more like he wants to confuse his friends
Last edited by KyleBroflovski99 on Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
trentBowie

Postby trentBowie » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:09 pm

Short answer:

Who cares? :cartmanko'd:

If it turns out Cartman's gay, cool. If not, it's still cool. I personally don't give a rat's ass what makes his fun parts go zing as long as he entertains me, dammit! :cartmanevil:

Long answer:

I have to wonder out Cartman's behavior, throughout the show, especially when it comes to Kyle. There is a possibility that he may be attracted to Kyle and doesn't know how to deal with it. After all, we hurt the ones we love the most, don't we? It's kinda like when a boy yanks on a girl's ponytails. Besides, he's a certified sociopath. He knows damn well what's right and wrong, but doesn't care.

However, all of the stuff involving cross-dressing and wanting Kyle to kiss/poke his ass doesn't necessarily mean he's gay. I think Rotten.com put it best:

Rotten Library wrote:Every straight person has had homosexual dreams, daydreams, and impulses at one time or another. That doesn't make you queer -- it doesn't even make you bi. Until you find yourself actually craving a little [hot action] from somebody with the same sex organs as yours, you're strictly a wannabe.

Either way, we love our Cartman even if he is a selfish assh*le with titties.
Oneirogenic

Postby Oneirogenic » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:41 pm

XD I'm really not sure if the point of this thread is to put words in Trey's mouth about Cartman's sexuality. As much as I think Cartman's just NOT straight (or not really even GAY), I know that at the end of the day, it's speculation.

But, there is some damning evidence in the favor of him being pretty queer. :0 It's my personal duty (haha) to state such evidence and allow others to come to their own conclusions, as I have mine.

and off topic:
He knows damn well what's right and wrong, but doesn't care.

A lot of the time that's true, but he honestly seems to have trouble discerning between the two on a regular basis. x_x; I don't really think he has too much capacity to put himself in others' shoes from an emotional point of view.

Return to “Character Discussion”