Is Cartman GAY?

Discuss South Park characters with all your friends, buddies and guys.

Moderator: Big-Will

Kyle the Skeptic

Postby Kyle the Skeptic » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:51 pm

There's actually a pretty easy way to tell whether or not Cartman is gay. In South Park all of the gay characters are flamboyantly gay to the point of being exaggerated stereotypes. There's Big Gay Al, Mr. Slave, Satan, Saddam Hussein, and the former Mr. Garrison. If Cartman had been intended to be gay, it would have erupted by now. He does what he does because it's supposed to be funny and degrading (both to him and the other people involved).

Remember that Cartman is the kind of character who crosses the lines of acceptable behavior all the time. This goes for all kinds of behavior, not just the parts that seem 'sexually deviant'.
Oneirogenic

Postby Oneirogenic » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:01 am

Total_Beefcake wrote:Ugh. Cartman is NOT gay.

:[ Your incredible powers of persuasion are too great for me. Must...not...submit... e_e;

And GRAH. Now, I slash things compulsively, but godDAMN, I cannot for the life of me see Cartman being honestly attracted to Kyle. He hates him. He wants him dead. He has literally TRIED TO OFF him multiple times!

Plus, there are plenty of other things you can heap onto the "There is almost no way Eric Cartman is heterosexual" pile of evidence. [/i]
Total_Beefcake

Postby Total_Beefcake » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:21 am

Oneirogenic wrote:
Total_Beefcake wrote:Ugh. Cartman is NOT gay.

:[ Your incredible powers of persuasion are too great for me. Must...not...submit... e_e;

And GRAH. Now, I slash things compulsively, but godDAMN, I cannot for the life of me see Cartman being honestly attracted to Kyle. He hates him. He wants him dead. He has literally TRIED TO OFF him multiple times!

Plus, there are plenty of other things you can heap onto the "There is almost no way Eric Cartman is heterosexual" pile of evidence. [/i]

I think I agree. What your saying is that he CAN't be gay in the show, right? In slash and fandom he can be, though. :3
[center]ImageImage
Jimmy made corn into crack? THEN HELL YES, I CARE![/center]
Taranis_Music

Postby Taranis_Music » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:21 am

Total_Beefcake wrote:I think I agree. What your saying is that he Can't be gay in the show, right? In slash and fandom he can be, though. :3

No, I think she's saying Cartman is not attracted to Kyle because he has clearly tries to kill him several times. She also said that there is an argument on the other side however, because he has a bunch of evedence leading to he's gay.

I agree with Kyle the Skeptic.
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:59 pm

Oneirogenic wrote:>o> Yeah, I can't chalk his infatuation with Kyle up to anything more than pure hatred for him.

However, you can make the stretch that his hatred of Kyle stems from the fact that he's jealous of him and wants to make him miserable because Kyle has something that HE doesn't. And then, after making that stretch, you can go a little further to say that one [of the most important] of those things Kyle has is Stan. Cartman could easily be jealous of their close relationship, and resent Kyle for it, because he wants to be close with Stan. He just kind of fails at friendship in general, though. Miserably.

D: On the other topic, he seems to have an ass-fixation, but kids at that age are all, "lol butts" anyway. >o> He did seem to not mind [if not kind of enjoy] the Proctologist's hand up his ass, though. I don't think that would make him gay, but I'll be damned if it didn't help the case along a little bit.

I haven't had time to search, but I believe I was the first one to say that! My theory is spreading! It explains why he hates Kyle and, when a choice between being with Kenny alone or Stan alone presents itself, he picks Stan. And, when doing so,(If you notice) he always kind of suck ups to Stan when in these situations. :lol:

Also, we have this discussion not thinking that it'd ever be revealed in the show. This is based on our interpretations of the Character, not upon which we believe will be revealed as truth in the show.
That's how it's down here on the farm!
Oneirogenic

Postby Oneirogenic » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:33 pm

ShaneHaughey wrote:I haven't had time to search, but I believe I was the first one to say that! My theory is spreading! It explains why he hates Kyle and, when a choice between being with Kenny alone or Stan alone presents itself, he picks Stan. And, when doing so,(If you notice) he always kind of suck ups to Stan when in these situations. :lol:

Also, we have this discussion not thinking that it'd ever be revealed in the show. This is based on our interpretations of the Character, not upon which we believe will be revealed as truth in the show.

Exactly. He obviously cares a lot more for Stan than he does Kyle, and doesn't seem to really hate him. Stan himself is much nicer to Cartman than Kyle is (who does NOTHING but fuel Cartman's hatred for him with unprovoked teasing. Vicious cycle), and actually tolerates him.

And I also really doubt anything will ever happen in the show, but if they said (platonically) that Cartman *was* jealous of Kyle because of Stan's friendship, I would not be surprised. It's becoming more of a possibility, what with episodes like TSST treating Cartman like more of a serious character.
Total_Beefcake

Postby Total_Beefcake » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:40 am

Taranis_Music wrote:
Total_Beefcake wrote:I think I agree. What your saying is that he Can't be gay in the show, right? In slash and fandom he can be, though. :3

No, I think she's saying Cartman is not attracted to Kyle because he has clearly tries to kill him several times. She also said that there is an argument on the other side however, because he has a bunch of evedence leading to he's gay.

I agree with Kyle the Skeptic.

Oh, I see. I agree, then...
[center]ImageImage
Gold_To_My_Jew

Postby Gold_To_My_Jew » Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:14 am

I hate you Jori... xD
Total_Beefcake

Postby Total_Beefcake » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:12 am

^Shut that hole in your face, Tori.
[center]ImageImage
Gold_To_My_Jew

Postby Gold_To_My_Jew » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:23 am

Total_Beefcake wrote:^Shut that hole in your face, Tori.

No...
Total_Beefcake

Postby Total_Beefcake » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:47 am

^WANNA FIGHT, LITTLE SISTER? I'LL KICK YOU IN THE NUTS.
[center]ImageImage
Athena1999

Postby Athena1999 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:24 pm

^OK, break it up, you two. We don't need an all-out Roshambo war on this thread. :P

I'd say Cartman is more attracted to Kenny, if anything. If you notice, he seems to rip on Kenny for being poor, but not in a mean-spirited sort of manner he picks on Kyle with. He has also said that he considers Kenny his best friend... with honest sentiment. Also, have you noticed that Kenny sometimes calls Cartman by his first name, and that he sometimes laughs at some of the... erm... mean things that Cartman does to others? (like in "Cancelled" when Cartman repeatedly farts on Kyle?) But those two tend to hang out together, just like Stan and Kyle spend a lot of time with each other.

Sorry if I sounded like I was rambling... it's the painkillers again.
Oneirogenic

Postby Oneirogenic » Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:45 am

Athena1999 wrote:^OK, break it up, you two. We don't need an all-out Roshambo war on this thread. :P

I'd say Cartman is more attracted to Kenny, if anything. If you notice, he seems to rip on Kenny for being poor, but not in a mean-spirited sort of manner he picks on Kyle with. He has also said that he considers Kenny his best friend... with honest sentiment. Also, have you noticed that Kenny sometimes calls Cartman by his first name, and that he sometimes laughs at some of the... erm... mean things that Cartman does to others? (like in "Cancelled" when Cartman repeatedly farts on Kyle?) But those two tend to hang out together, just like Stan and Kyle spend a lot of time with each other.

Sorry if I sounded like I was rambling... it's the painkillers again.

^___________________^ Omg~ Yes. I'm really dissapointed how in newer episodes, Kenny's disregarded by all of them. And how he seems to have stopped putting up as much with Cartman's sh*t. x.x And his character's just been neglected in general. Bleh.

Kenny calls him by his first name almost all the time, which says a lot, considering how he's one of, if not his very best friend. All of his other friends, save for Butters (who is more formal) and the people he's not close to at all, call him Cartman. He used to follow him around like he cared more about what Cartman had to do instead of Stan and Kyle. And, Cartman's teasing of Kenny is just that, teasing. Not like with Kyle, who he obviously hates.

D: I dunno. I saw something there, that seems to be missing from more recent episodes.
DevilAngel16

Postby DevilAngel16 » Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:08 pm

^You may have a point there, however in the episode Best Friends Forever, Kenny says in his will that he "never really liked Cartman, but then again no one does" (or something like that).

Anyway, is Cartman gay? Maybe.

If anything, I think Cartman likes Stan the most. He has said in the episode Trapped in the Closet that he "still hates Kyle more than you [Stan]". He barely ever makes fun of Stan...only sometimes...and that was mostly in old episodes.

But that's just my opinion...obviously we don't know if he is gay considering he is only 9 years old. Plus it's just a cartoon...so either way it doesn't really matter if he's gay or not.

So...yeah.
Kyle the Skeptic

Postby Kyle the Skeptic » Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:18 pm

Remember that in season 3 Cartman said that he hated Kenny the most. He said it during SP:BLU and again in "Jakovasaurus". Later on we find out a little bit more about their relationship, as mentioned above. Sound familiar? Outwardly he claimed to hate Kenny, but inwardly there was a lot more to it than that.

Now consider that in recent seasons Cartman has been giving Kyle the hardest time, says that he hates Kyle the most, devotes the most attention to Kyle, and constantly fights with him. I'm not trying to imply anything, but let's just say that if the Kenny connection is true then it's not a far stretch to think that his behavior towards Kyle may follow the same pattern.

Note that as I said before I don't literally believe Cartman is gay, but it's just something to think about.

Return to “Character Discussion”