THe Death of Chef... good or bad?

Discuss South Park characters with all your friends, buddies and guys.

Moderator: Big-Will

willywoo03

THe Death of Chef... good or bad?

Postby willywoo03 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:24 pm

How do you feel about the way Chef went out in "The Return of Chef" episode? The whole child molestation thing??
patriotgirl

Chef

Postby patriotgirl » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:30 pm

I think Chef should stay gone.......if Isaac Hayes had probs w/poking fun @ religions & races, then why did he call white folk "crackers" (just an example)??? He had no prob then so why now.....because of Scientology???? I thought we lived in America & if he wants to exercise his 1st ammendment right, then he should respect Trey & Matt's rights, too. It is a bunch of tree huggin hippie crap & the hippies outta be thankful they have a flippin tree to hug!!!!! Too bad our right to freedom is not legal........but we do live in the land of the free BECAUSE of the brave.................so, if celebs don't get it, then don't watch SP........pretty simple, huh?
americanpsychoEricCartman

Isaac Hayes=hypocrite?

Postby americanpsychoEricCartman » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:55 pm

I have a real problem with people that are hypocrites (and hippies). Why is it ok to poke fun at everyone elses color, faith, lifestyle, etc...but as soon as your touchy subject comes up-then there's a problem? Obviously some people fail to see the message behind SP. It is written (some episodes anyway are) to show us the irony in some peoples belief structures, actions, thoughts, statements, etc. (and some are just plain funny). Any one who is not open minded enough to see this should (in my humble opinion) do the world a favor and die a slow torturous death (preferably on TV, while people are watching) or at the very least SHUT THE HELL UP, and let those of us that understand life do all the talking and thinking. Besides, Isaac Hayes doesn't really have any career besides SP, what's he gonna do-go back to singing or star in bad John Carpenter films?
suck my b@lls...friggin' hippies(they want to save the world, but all they do is smoke pot and smell bad)..RESPECT MY ATHORITAEE...screw you guys-i'm goin' home.
Gothic_Butters

Postby Gothic_Butters » Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:11 am

Personally, I think the death was way too harsh.

I understand why they had to kill off his character, but in such an inhumane way? No. I was pissed when I saw that episode.

Don't get me wrong, I like morbid sh*t.. but not this way. Chef was a loved character in South Park, in in a way, one of.. if not.. THE most important character. He was featured in almost every episode and let's face it.. He was awesome!

I think he diserves alot more respect than what he recieved.

It would have been a much better episode if he simply died of AIDS or something.. where he lays in a hospital bed and just slowly closes his eyes, and the doctor says "I'm sorry boys... he's gone" and Stan says something like "no.. No he can't be gone!!" and the boys cry for a while over the death of their friend, and then they hold a funeral with his body actually in the damn cascit, all in one piece.. instead of just a damn bloody spatula. (wich didn't make sence anyway because he didn't have his spatula with him when he died).

then the rest of the funeral went as follows.

Kyle says "We shouldn't be mad at Chef for leaving us.. we should be happy that he's in a better place now. We shouldn't blame him for this. Perhaps we should blame the doctors. Or the scientists for not being able to find a cure.
In times like this we always look for someone to put the blame on.. but it's nobody's fault. Sometimes, we have to deal with losses. Death is a part of life. We will miss you, Chef. You were a big inspiration in my life. Goodbye, my friend."

THAT would make for a perfect end to Chef. If they had to kill him off, why couldn't they have done that? That took me 5 minutes to think of.

Oh.. and why weren't his parents at his funeral?
iceiwynd

Postby iceiwynd » Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:40 am

Hippies don't have anything to do with this, so as to why the hell the first two posters decided to bring them up I have no idea (although my first guess would be because they're trying to be "cool" like Cartman and ramble on endlessly about hippies. I know the second guy is).

I agree with GB, sorta. In his first statement, yes. For god's sake, a beloved character for nine seasons straight, and you make him go out like [i:02882]that[/i:02882]? It was a great episode, but seriously, that death scene was a tad too extreme for my liking.

But dying of AIDS? Come on, that would be WAY too predictable. And the spatula was a symbolization of him being a cafeteria chef, I liked that part. The funeral was nicely done. And GB, part of the speech you wrote up doesn't match with the real situation. If he died of AIDS, there would be no reason to be mad at him. In the actual episode, though, there was, because he willingly went back to the other side. And saying it was nobody's fault? Wouldn't be parallel to the real life situation, in which case it's Scientology's fault. It was more of a perfect allegory the way it was done, I just think it could've been less brutal.

And I'm also getting kinda tired of the whole "why weren't his parents at his funeral? why weren't his parents at his funeral?" thing. They may not have heard, nobody may have thought to contact them (few people in South Park really ever interacted with them, and Chef's death would have been such a big shock to easily make them forget), or they just simply may not have been able to make it in time, or, fall all we know, they themselves may already be dead. In real life situation thought Matt and Trey probably just forgot. They were only used in two episodes. :|

Hayes being a hypocrite sure did suck, yeah, but (and correct me if I'm wrong), I don't recall hearing an official statement from [i:02882]him himself[/i:02882]. That makes all the difference with Scientology involved and everything. He had a stroke a few months before that, was he really in a good position and condition to quit like that? Has he been seen in public since? I know that was a topic of discussion before, too. That and, after the episode initially aired, Hayes himself said, and there is audio footage of it out there, that he knows that that's what Matt and Trey do, he was totally okay by it, and just pretty much laughed it off. Maybe I'm just being naive but randomly popping up a few months later saying that you quit due to religious intolerance doesn't really fit to me, and I do not think that Hayes himself willingly in sound state of mind quit, and that Scientology probably did it for him (what better way to get back at a show that just majorly dissed you by removing one of its beloved voice actors? Scientology is too uptight and weak, so it actually has to take a cartoon seriously). Conspiracy theories ahoy!, but I'm going with them.

Chef should not be brought back, though. Not with a different voice actor or anything. If the whole mess gets cleared up and Hayes ultimately ends up returning, awesome. But they should at least respect the character to retire him fully. I don't want to see Darth Chef ever again. That would just make things worse.

... That always ends up happening. Whenever a voice actor dies, the characters are retired without a scene, but whenever a voice actor quits, the characters are killed off. Kinda funny.
Gothic_Butters

Postby Gothic_Butters » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:13 pm

iceiwynd wrote: I don't want to see Darth Chef ever again. That would just make things worse.

I'm glad to see that someone thinks the same way I do on that.

Darth Chef was an insult. It's like after they brutally killed him, they pulled down their pants and pissed on him. That's what Darth Chef was. A final "f*ck you". And I didn't like that at all. Also, it kind of killed one of the best movie scenes in history. Even if you didn't like Revenge of the Sith, you gotta admit.. the scene where Anakin was on the table, and they put the mask on his face, and then that recognizable heavy breathing started.. was pretty damn cool!

Anyway I'm getting off scene trying to convice people that Star Wars is actaully cool. Sorry about that. (episodes 1 and 2 sucked ass though)
iceiwynd

Postby iceiwynd » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:22 pm

Gothic_Butters wrote:Darth Chef was an insult. It's like after they brutally killed him, they pulled down their pants and pissed on him. That's what Darth Chef was. A final "f*ck you".

I didn't see it that way, I just thought that was a nice parody that furthered the point (good to evil). I said that I never want to see Darth Chef again because Isaac Hayes is Chef, and unless he comes back, neither Chef nor Darth Chef should be around. Maybe a cameo, whatever, but no speaking roles or active parts in a plot.
KennyStanWendyFan

Postby KennyStanWendyFan » Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:50 am

Chef's death was by far the worst scene in all of South Park. The rest of the episode was awesome, but that scene sucked. You just don't write off a beloved character who's been around since the beginning in such a horrific manner.

I liked the Darth Chef thing, but I, too, never want to see Darth Chef again unless Isaac returns to the show and they do an episode in which Chef is turned to normal again. And yes, Star Wars Episodes 1 and 2 suck, but the rest of the series isn't bad. I'm not a fanatic, but I did kinda like Episode 3.
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:20 am

Just being reminded of that horrid episode pisses me off.
cartman8213

Postby cartman8213 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:44 am

I think it was a good link to what happened with Isaac and the Scientology situation. The whole episode was my favorite of the season. I liked the whole plot. It was a good way to say,"f*ck you" to Scientology. It was a good way to say goodbye to Isaac. They tried to save him, but they couldn't.

The death was overdone, though. I expected him to die, so I wasn't that upset, but a bear, a lion and a huge fall onto a stick? That's ridiculous. That was way too much. It had a good reference to another episode afterwards, but that was the only funny part.

As for Darth Chef, I think he should just be used in case Isaac comes back as many people have said. He shouldn't be voiced by anyone else. I think that would be a "f*ck you" to Isaac. I think that's why they made Darth Chef. It was just to keep the whole thing open for Chef to come back.
Officially blending in with all the Cartman fans.
Thanks b489 and KTS for sig
willywoo03

Postby willywoo03 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:10 am

I'm thrilled that you all posted your opinons about the matter. My very brief views are this... The death was too brutal... Chef wouldn't and shouldn't have molested children... and Darth Chef was a disgrace. Enough said...
cartman8213

Postby cartman8213 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:17 am

It was a comparison to Isaac being brainwashed by Scientology. It was completely necessary to have a comparison like that. If they didn't do that, people would be talking about how they pussed out. The thought that molesting children makes you immortal is just as ridiculous as Scientology's teachings, and that's why they did that.

Chef's death was too brutal. I agree completely with that. He could have just fallen off the bridge, and be done. There wasn't a need for the lion and the bear. It was unnecessarily long, and it seemed like it dragged on forever.

I wouldn't say Darth Chef was a disgrace, he was just something to keep the spot open. If anything, it was a tribute to Isaac. They were basically saying that if he wanted to come back, he could. Darth Chef hasn't been used yet, so that's what I'm assuming it's for.
Officially blending in with all the Cartman fans.
Thanks b489 and KTS for sig
KennyStanWendyFan

Postby KennyStanWendyFan » Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:15 pm

The brutality of Chef's death might symbolize Matt and Trey's anger towards Isaac for leaving, though it was quickly followed up by a nicely done funeral in which Kyle stated that we should be mad at the fruity little club for scrambling his brain instead. And yes, I do think Darth Chef was done as a way for Isaac to come back if he chose to do so in the future.
iceiwynd

Postby iceiwynd » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:57 pm

Yeah, I also think that Darth Chef leaves it open-ended so that is Isaac does end up coming back, he can and it won't be lost.

Kyle's speech at the end was a nice way to quickly even things out. I guess the death was a bit of an initial reaction to it all: Voice actor of a beloved character quits in a totally hypocritical way, and all thanks to some piece of sh*t "religion" that they finally just got around to sticking it to. So yeah, they would be pissed over that, but I find it a bit odd how quickly they're able to suddenly turn the whole thing around and go back to a calmer, more rational state at his funeral.
willywoo03

Postby willywoo03 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:33 am

Wow, great responses. I never thought about the whole metaphor for the Scientology bit, but its clear that was the primary objective. I am a huge Star Wars fan and I just felt that it was stupid. But that's my opinion. Although it was a good way to keep his character open...

Return to “Character Discussion”