The official Wendy disscussion Thread

Discuss South Park characters with all your friends, buddies and guys.

Moderator: Big-Will

NotReallyStan

Postby NotReallyStan » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:24 am

In the last ep, Stan was actively trying to get on Token's good side, which leads me to believe that he and Wendy are no longer an item.
I duk ur durb.

South Park fangames:
http://www.spgarchives.com
Kennylover2000

Postby Kennylover2000 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:24 pm

Wendy is cool.
Slave & Garrison

Postby Slave & Garrison » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:17 am

Taranis_Music wrote:I don't like Wendy. I'm glad they kicked her out of the story line lately.

I agree. I can't stand Wendy. She, turned Stan into a total pussy. I always found Wendy so annoying, especially her voice.
Lonely_Jew

Postby Lonely_Jew » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:08 am

I have never really had anything against Wendy. Yeah, I loved it when her and Stan were together, but now they aren't.

Lots of people can try and say that 'she broke Stan's poor heart', but she didn't.

Matt and Trey did. They made the decision.

So the best we can do is focus on her personality. I've liked her in every episode except Bebe's Boobs Destroy Society, and that's an obvious thing to say. I like how she is sort of an activist and realizes how wrong idols like Paris Hilton are, or how wrong a racist flag is.

I also like how, similar to me, she gets very jealous when it comes to her man. You have to defend what is yours! But she did go a little overboard, I'll admit . . .
"Don't ever go through life thinking that there isn't any hope, because then, there isn't any." --I don't know who said this, but probably someone who's pretty smart.

I don't cheer for the title. I cheer for my health.
Unhooded Kenny

Postby Unhooded Kenny » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:00 pm

Will she have a siginificant role this season or will she just be a prop?
swellman7

Postby swellman7 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:02 pm

Unhooded Kenny wrote:Will she have a siginificant role this season or will she just be a prop?

I don't think she was ever considered a "prop". But I'm hoping she has at least one episode this season, which she usually does.
love*metal

Postby love*metal » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:09 pm

Wendy deserves some more parts in the story, she's a good character. She was never a prop.
KennyStanWendyFan

Postby KennyStanWendyFan » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:08 pm

I was a bit disappointed by the lack of Wendy in Season 10. I hope she gets at least one major role (a good one) in Season 11. She's become even more of a prop than Kenny (although Kenny's a main character, so I won't complain too much). Although the few major roles she's gotten these last few seasons are much bigger than anything Kenny's gotten in the last few seasons (with the exception of Best Friends Forever).
CruciFACTION

Postby CruciFACTION » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:19 pm

I don't love or hate Wendy, I just think she's an interesting character.
KennyStanWendyFan

Postby KennyStanWendyFan » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:30 am

^That was kinda my opinion on Wendy in late 2003/early 2004 when I first started... I guess taking notice to her. I began paying more attention to her character right around the time I first saw Tom's Rhinoplasty on my Season 1 DVD (note that I didn't start watching the show until 2000 and didn't start watching regularly until 2003). I loved Tom's Rhinoplasty, and when I got Season 2, I loved Clubhouses, then I just concluded that I like Stan and Wendy themed episodes. Throughout 2004, I found myself looking for Stan and Wendy fanart; I wasn't obsessed yet, just getting interested. I found a really, really adorable Christmas-themed picture of the two and... yeah, I was slowly becoming a fan of the pairing, and of Wendy in general, and around mid-2004 (when I registered here), I kinda just admit to myself and to the world that I am a Wendy fan. I had a feeling Wendy might not be a very popular character, but she's actually more popular than I expected her to be (although granted, there are still those who hate her guts). My fandom has since reached fanboyish heights the likes of which the world has never seen (except not really, there are people who are way, way more obsessed with fictional characters than me; I sure as hell don't have a Wendy blowup doll).
O'Brien

Postby O'Brien » Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:21 am

I also happen to be a fan of Wendy despite how underrated she is. Sure she once resorted to murder to keep Stan, but frankly quite a few of the boys have also intended to murder someone before. Hell, Stan without trying managed to (accidently) wipe both Beaverton and San Francisco off the face of the Earth, so that kinda puts the death of one substitute teacher into perspective. :P

Still, she served well as one of the original "preachy" voices of the show before the boys all but assumed that task. Seeing that most of the secondary boys (and even her own bloody mother in the most recent episode) have made some noteworthy appearences in Seasons 10-11 while Wendy has only managed to utter one word during this period, I think she's due to at least a few pieces of dialogue during the fall half-season.

Every step back a step foward.
Every failure an extra opportunity for success.
Every day of defeat a victory!
Cold Machine

Postby Cold Machine » Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:28 pm

Eh, I suppose I like Wendy enogh, but it's doubtful she's going to be getting very many roles this season. I base this on the fact that she doesn't really have a point anymore. She broke up with Stan and the show now has plenty of resident preachers. What would they do with her? Have her hook up with Stan again? Possible but unlikely.

As said before, her character just lacks any real purpose or direction now that they've gotten rid of her whole purpose for existing.
"A minute's success pays the failure of years." - Robert Browning
KennyStanWendyFan

Postby KennyStanWendyFan » Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:58 pm

One reason why the ending to Follow That Egg was a disappointment to me. :P

The way I see it, the only situation where they're likely to use Wendy is if they do a "girls" episode (like Stupid Spoiled Whore Video Playset) or a "boys vs. girls" episode (like Marjorine). Of course, I was surprised that she had a role in Follow That Egg. I was expecting it to be about Garrison, Slave, and Al, with a maybe a little subplot involving the boys. I totally did not expect them to tease us in the Stan/Wendy fandom with the possibility of them getting back together only for them to... just... GODDAMMIT! SO f*cking CLOSE!

/end rant sequence

I hope they do something with her, but I see your point that she no longer has a purpose either as Stan's girlfriend or as the preachy one since Stan and Kyle fill that role just fine. She used to be the anti-Cartman in the early seasons, but Kyle has more than filled that spot in recent seasons. She is, however, the most developed of the female characters, so if Matt and Trey decide to do a plot that involves the female gender, Wendy is almost certain to be in a somewhat prominent role.
Cold Machine

Postby Cold Machine » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:20 pm

(Apologies if I happen to bring up any thoughts already covered in this thread. I have yet to read it in its entirety.)

The point about her being the most developed (heh) girl is very true, and is why we can expect her to always be around. And when they use the girls, don't they usually use them as a group rather than individual characters?

I can think of a couple exceptions, but for the most part it seems that whenever the girls appear it is as a mob. But I could be wrong. I'm mostly thinking about Proper Condom Use and Marjorine here.

Moving on. As of now, is there any chance at all of Wendy and Stan ever getting back together? For the forseeable future, I'd say no. However if the writers ever bring back Wendy as a key character, it could happen...

Now I'm starting to ramble, but I ain't done yet. One thing I was thinking about earlier was how Stan would react if they killed off Wendy. I know he'd be angry/sad/etc but I was wondering how it would affect him in the long-run. Perma-goth Stan? Now, I'm not saying this is likely at all but it would make for an interesting plot. Of course that would also mean Wendy would be gone for good so maybe it's best if they don't try this.

Finally, this topic - and Wendy as a character - seems to be growing on me. Yay!
"A minute's success pays the failure of years." - Robert Browning
O'Brien

Postby O'Brien » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:54 pm

Yes, it seems like all the "prop" girls only have important roles to play in an episode if they're all in a group. However Wendy, especially in the first few seasons, often had no female backup at all except for Bebe. Based on just the first seasons alone, one could get the impression that Wendy only hung around Bebe when not with the main boys. If I do say so myself, I think Wendy is the only girl with any sort of characterization; we just haven't seen enough of Bebe to know how she's truely like yet.

As for Stan and Wendy ever hooking up again, I highly doubt it no matter how much we want it to happen. The fact of the matter is that Matt & Trey don't really care for true character development anymore; their intrests now only lie in placing characters in sticky situations that are mostly forgotten by the next episode. A shame really, but bear one of my mottos in mind; "every failure an extra opportunity for success"..... especially concerning fan work! :P

However since character development is not a priority these days, I bet we won't have to deal with Wendy's possible death either. Stan might feel a pang of regret, but he'll be back to normal by next episode (again). Plus there's really no reason to kill off Wendy yet, since she can always be handy in the event of a girl issue. And unlike Chef, Wendy actually lives on without her original voice actress. :shock:

Every step back a step foward.
Every failure an extra opportunity for success.
Every day of defeat a victory!

Return to “Character Discussion”