The official Wendy disscussion Thread

Discuss South Park characters with all your friends, buddies and guys.

Moderator: Big-Will

Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:02 pm

She had Miss Ellen shot into the sun. :( That was the worst thing a character did on the show until Cartman made Scott eat his own parents out of a chili bowl.

Psycho Wendy! Qu'est-ce que c'est?
Papapapapa Papapapapa Papa
Psycho Wendy! Run, run away!

The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
KennyStanWendyFan

Postby KennyStanWendyFan » Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:58 pm

Big-Will wrote:She had Miss Ellen shot into the sun. :( That was the worst thing a character did on the show until Cartman made Scott eat his own parents out of a chili bowl.

Psycho Wendy! Qu'est-ce que c'est?
Papapapapa Papapapapa Papa
Psycho Wendy! Run, run away!

It's true, she was the first to do something really evil, but Cartman has since topped her one evil deed with several of his own. :P
Cerisa_Roz

Postby Cerisa_Roz » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:45 pm

Ooh, I see the haterade-brigade is still going strong.

First thing..

One: Wendy's voice keeps changing because her original voice actress, Mary Kay Bergman, DIED. Yes, you heard that right. They got Mona Marshall to voice Wendy for the first part of season four, but for some reason, that didn't stick (though Marshall still voices Sheila Broflovski and some other characters). So they replaced her with Eliza Schneider. Schneider LEFT the show after season seven, so naturally, they HAD to replace her. And so far, April Stewart has STUCK.

That's been, what, FOUR voice actresses. Yes, it's a lot more than characters like Stan and Kyle would have (well, they HAVEN'T changed, because they're still voiced by the same guys, because their VAs are the CREATORS of the show), but hardly that much of a deal. You're making Mt.Everest out of an anthill.

Two: Wendy has FLAWS. There's NO denying that. Yes, she broke up with Stan. Big whoop.

Yes, she's bitchy. But what character doesn't have flaws on this show? Heck, all four of the main boys are bitchy in their own ways. A lot of the other female characters are quite catty as well.

Let's get to the main point..she shot Ms.Ellen into the sun. Oooh. Okay, yeah, you've got something. Frankly, though, with how the episode went, I'm surprised nothing happened to Ms.Ellen EARLIER on. But that would've meant not having that killer ending, you know? Yes, she went nuts there. I'd say story-wise (and not character-wise), it was allll worth it though. But I digress :twisted:

I look back to Mary Kay Bergman's assessment of Wendy as being the 'unpredictable' one. Indeed. Unfortunately, the fans want to use that episode (and the 'OMG SHE BROKE STANNY WANNY POO'S HEEEAART' moment) as 'evidence' that she's an overdone, predictable, heartless whore that's more evil than Cartman and any evil dictator combined. Yep, "Psycho Wendy" has a catchy ring to it actually.

But I'm wondering..and this isn't a slight to you Will (don't take it as one, please!), or anyone else..weren't there more evil moments in the show before Cartman fed Scott his parents? True, not as prolific as THAT moment, but still..

Honestly, when I saw Tom's Rhinoplasty, I didn't bat an eye. That could be because my first experience of South Park was "It Hits The Fan" in '01, and I watched most of the past episodes through tapes from Blockbuster and a friend's recordings (plus reruns!), so it didn't have as big an impact on me as it did to those who saw it back in '97/'98.

Actually, when I saw a LOT of early South Park, I was baffled and wondered "Is THIS the highly offensive show they were talking about?". It's funny to see how things look nowadays compared to the past, eh?
KennyStanWendyFan

Postby KennyStanWendyFan » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:35 pm

I'd just like to say that I agree with your opinion on the ending to Tom's Rhinoplasty. It may not have made Wendy seem like the most innocent and respectable character; she's certainly no Butters Stotch as a result; but it was funny and that's what counts. I wouldn't say it completely ruined her character. It just showed that underneath her sweet exterior, she has a dark side. On the other hand, with a character such as Butters, we see his dark side is little more than the boy who switched two people's soups at Bennigan's. So yeah, Wendy may not be the pure child that Butters is, but people seem to want to bitch about her one evil deed (as well as the fact that she broke Stanny wanny poo's heart) as if it's any worse than the myriads of things Cartman has done, from feeding Scott his parents to using Kenny's disease as an excuse to lift the ban on stem cell research just so he can replicate his own Shakey's Pizza, from trying to exterminate the Jews to trying to lead all the ginger kids in a rally to exterminate all non-gingers. Really now, Wendy has an evil side, but she's normally a caring person. Cartman has been proven time and again to be an out-of-control sociopath.
Cerisa_Roz

Postby Cerisa_Roz » Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:42 pm

Just wondering..Will, did you make up the 'Psycho Wendy' song? It's pretty hilarious :lol: (yeah, I'm not that protective over my favorite characters. I can afford to poke fun).

I don't really see her as being that predictable, though she is quite manipulative and..damn wild. If we're talking the earlier episodes. Season 4 Wendy seemed to be more toned down, and fleshed out a bit more, I think. We got to see her in kind of a more active role, and get sort of the feel of what makes her tick.

And we saw her interact with more characters other than Stan and Bebe (and Ms.Ellen, we all know how that turned out! Oh, and Gregory if you count the movie).

Season 5 scaled back her role a bit, though we did get to see her (along with the other girls) lead one side of the fight in "Proper Condom Use".

S6 pushed her further out of the loop for the first half (You'd think she would've had something to say about the calves in "Fun With Veal", no?), though 610 put her, for a brief moment, back in. After that, we didn't hear from her until "Raisins". And though the plot of the episode was basically 'Wendy breaks up', she wasn't actually THAT big of a presence as others try to make it out to be. After all, she did have BEBE tell Stan the news.

In fact, she only had one scene with dialogue in the episode, and two brief moments later on. The rest of the episode was really just Butters and Lexus, and Stan and the goths. The latter of which was fallout from the first moment, but I digress.

Season 8's last half had her finally sort of coming back into the 'early' Wendy mold (minus the shooty-into-sun, naturally), even if SSWVP was more of a Paris Hilton-mocking episode (nothing wrong with THAT. And we got some good moments out of Butters).
swellman7

Postby swellman7 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:46 pm

You forgot to mention her appearence in "Follow that egg" from season 9.I'm pretty sure that's the last time shes appeared in an episode.
KennyStanWendyFan

Postby KennyStanWendyFan » Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:23 pm

Wendy had a minor role in Marjorine and a pretty significant role in Follow That Egg. Her most recent appearance was in Cartoon Wars Part I when she said "Uh... yeah." Not much of an appearance, I know, but that was the last time she ever spoke.
Wendy-n-Cartman

Postby Wendy-n-Cartman » Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:51 pm

I love Wendy, sure she's a bitch but what girl isn't? I always pictured her as a female Cartman, those two together are friggin' hilarious. Chef Goes Nanners was the best!
"Screw you guys, I'm goin' home!"
Jello_Biafra

Postby Jello_Biafra » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:04 pm

Wendy is just like every other b*tch on the planet. She cannot stand when attention is off of her, and she always thinks that grass is greener on the other side. She will betray, kill, and spread rumors about you. Though, she is a smart little girl...but only to an extent.
"Six words Lisa, 'I'm not gay, but I'll learn.'" Homer Simpson

"How do you speak my language?" Adam West

"This job would be great if it weren't for the f*cking customers." Randall; Clerks
Nommel

Postby Nommel » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:07 pm

Why do half of you people act like Wendy has no soul?

Remember, if you have actually bothered to watch the episode for more than that rocket-into-the-sun part, how Wendy reacted when she thought Ms. Ellen had made Stan dump her?

She was sad. She cried, she sat out in the rain and watched them. If she was really that evil, she wouldn't have tried to get Stan back at all, she would have just had them both shot into the sun.
Cerisa_Roz

Postby Cerisa_Roz » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:18 pm

I'm used to it, actually. Have been for years. I'm not forcing anyone to like my opinion or to like Wendy, but sometimes you get the types who can actually type out a counterpoint debate and go into a deep reasoning why they don't like her..and you get the ones who just go 'raaarrr i hate her she broke stanny wanny poo's heart i want that bitch dead stan is so hot lawl'. Not slagging off anyone in particular (I'm not THAT blunt), of course.

Sadly, my experiences with the former have been very few. It's the latter I 'clash' with the most. I'm surprised my Wendy site didn't gather thousands of angry fangirls back when I first launched it in '04 (it had been completed since '03 though). But then, it wasn't like it was a prominent one.

I had the site go 'static' in early '06 when I quit watching the show, and it's basically an archive now (I still have to reupload a few galleries, though). I might reopen it, if I ever get the interest. As it stands, the information on the site is pretty outdated (only goes up to season 9 and "Follow That Egg", but it's not like she's had a big role since, right?).

The one thing I'm still updating on my domain is the "Oddities" pages, though. But that's another story for another day.
KennyStanWendyFan

Postby KennyStanWendyFan » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:15 am

Yeah, for some reason, Wendy seems to be the center of a lot of senseless hatred as if her character is a one-dimensional bitch-on-wheels with no depth to her whatsoever. This obviously is not the case. I don't see how her flaws, as depicted in episodes such as Tom's Rhinoplasty and Raisins, should outweigh her redeeming characteristics, as depicted in every other appearance she's ever made... except for Bebe's Boobs Destroy Society. I'm surprised more people don't point to that episode for criticism of Wendy. I hate the way Wendy behaved in that episode; it just seemed out of character for her. Then for the coup de gras, let's have all the boys, including the ever-innocent Stanny Wanny Poo, laugh at and ridicule Wendy for her new hooters. Yeah, I'm not fond of that episode.

Another argument I've always used in Wendy's defense is the number of times Stan has been a dick to her. The first example I point to is Pinkeye. A lot of people hate Wendy in that episode because she "made Stan look stupid." So she dressed as Chewbacca. She apologized for it and she donated her prize candy to hungry children in Nairobi. Meanwhile, Stan wishes that Wendy was dead, and he even contemplates killing her at one point. Of course, any contemplation of killing Wendy is justified because she's a heartless bitch, right? The next example I use is Tom's Rhinoplasty, which is, surprisingly, one of the episodes people point to in order to criticize Wendy. (And yet, for being an episode that actually does depict Wendy as a psycho bitch, I love it.) Anyway, in this episode, we see Stan ignoring Wendy and basically being a total dick to her. She tries softer, gentler approaches to getting his attention back before going to drastic measures and having Miss Ellen killed. The third example is the ending to Bebe's Boobs Destroy Society, which I already explained in the above paragraph. He was also a dick to her in Raisins and Follow That Egg; in both cases, he had a chance to be on friendly terms with her even though they weren't together anymore, and instead he had to open his trap and be an ass.

But whatever... I still like both of their characters. I'll just remember the pair for the happy moments such as the ending to the movie, Cartman Gets an Anal Probe, Chef's Salty Chocolate Balls, and Clubhouses. I look forward to any solo appearances either of them make. Hopefully they'll be good ones. I'm just not sure if I want to see anymore episodes involving them together; not after the mess we got with Follow That Egg.
Taranis_Music

Postby Taranis_Music » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:18 am

fattass12 wrote:wendy sucks. end of dicussion

Well I guess we have to lock the thread now because he says so. Too bad guys.
KennyStanWendyFan

Postby KennyStanWendyFan » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:22 am

Yeah, what a pity. But, rules are rules, and when an all-knowing newbie comes along with all the answers, and he says it's time to end the discussion, then it must be done.

"Don't f*ck with me!"
nutmeg218

Postby nutmeg218 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:57 pm

The all-powering newbs control society, so we must follow with their commands.

On topic(hopefully the newbs won't smite me), I believe Wendy is a sweet girl with a deep-loving heart. Stan had what was comming to him with breaking up! She has shown a bitchy side of her, but most of the time it was to get Stany-Poo back. After a while she knew she couldn't do it any more and just broke up.
You have to admit, she has gotten much nicer after Raisins. She was trying to be nice in Follow that Egg, but Stan was being a dick to her, countering her niceness.

If someone bring us crap about the episode Chef goes Nanners, about how Wendy fell for someone, insead of Stan. I just have to say that Stan has had a crush on Mrs. Ellen, and then BeBe afterwards of that episde (though all the boys did). She needed her chance to get him mad, and sexual tension is a good way to do it. If you watch the very end of that episode, she did go back to Stan, showing that she did still care for him.

I agree with KSWF, I love Stan and Wendy apart in episodes. Also, I would love it if they got back together, though I'm not obsessive over wanting them together anymore. Whatever happens in the series happens, and we just go with the flow. Trey and Matt might make her a total bitch, without a reason, or they might continue making her that sweet nice girl she is now.

Return to “Character Discussion”